Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Post by Arioch »

entity2636 wrote:I'm not a politician, but how about "this mess has been going on for, how long exactly? 25 years, for three of your generations? And remember, most of it is happening in our back yard, not yours. We find the amount of progress that has been made thus far... meager, and the effectiveness of your military leaders and intelligence department, how shall I put it, lacking."
And what do you expect this would accomplish, aside from insulting the Loroi?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:
entity2636 wrote:I'm not a politician, but how about "this mess has been going on for, how long exactly? 25 years, for three of your generations? And remember, most of it is happening in our back yard, not yours. We find the amount of progress that has been made thus far... meager, and the effectiveness of your military leaders and intelligence department, how shall I put it, lacking."
Maybe he's a masochist?

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Arioch wrote:
Heh.. Apparently I was misinterpreted or did not put it clearly enough. I meant it as a general idea, public opinion or opinion of a political party and not something one or a couple persons would or should openly say in the face of the Empress.

My initial question was, is it within the realm of possibility that there may exist such a party/corporation/group of individuals among the Neridi, that may be more upset about the current state of affairs than the rest and seek third party solutions to end the conflict, with certain benefits to themselves or the Neridi nation.

*EDIT*
In layman's terms, the general opinion among the readers is that the Historians are somehow involved in the so far successful Umiak invasion of Union space. I would like to ask, can it not be an "inside job".
*END EDIT*

If that is classified information relevant to future storytelling, I'm perfectly happy with that. If it is impossible or unrealistic for such a group to exist, I'm also perfectly fine with that, and will go on considering the Neridi as either spineless or, how to put it, "we have the Loroi protecting us, we don't care, as long as the military contracts are coming in".

@boldilocks - I dunno, maybe, if it involves blue space elf girls in uniforms :roll: :lol:

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

I was reading the Insider and, that we know of, there are 3 confirmed sentient species using the Soia-Liron biochemistry. This got me thinking, are there any species (sentient or otherwise) using more exotic types of biochemistry in the known Outsider galaxy? Things like Dextro Amino Acids, Ammonia world dwellers, Carbosilicate structures, liquid methane swimmers...?
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

GabrielGABFonseca wrote:I was reading the Insider and, that we know of, there are 3 confirmed sentient species using the Soia-Liron biochemistry. This got me thinking, are there any species (sentient or otherwise) using more exotic types of biochemistry in the known Outsider galaxy? Things like Dextro Amino Acids, Ammonia world dwellers, Carbosilicate structures, liquid methane swimmers...?
Speaking of that, what kind of biochemistry do the orgus work at?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Quick question, is the Neridi symbol on their uniform just a Neridi head looking up and to the left?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sweforce wrote:Speaking of that, what kind of biochemistry do the orgus work at?
It's not related to the Soia-Liron biochemistry, but I don't have any more detail than that.
dragoongfa wrote:Quick question, is the Neridi symbol on their uniform just a Neridi head looking up and to the left?
No, it's a more abstract symbol. But that's funny, now that you mention it.

Corpsman_of_Krieg

Post by Corpsman_of_Krieg »

Arioch wrote:
Jakelope13 wrote:How much modification can a Umiak withstand? Are we talking ocular implants, prosthetic arms, maybe a built-in weapon, or Borg-level of modification, where the Umiak might as well be a machine with Umiak components grafted on in odd places?
The extreme example would be the hardtroopers, most of which are "full replacement cyborgs"; that is, the entire body except for brains and guts has been replaced with an armored combat chassis. Think along the lines of Robocop, Briareos from Appleseed, or the Dreadnoughts from Warhammer 40K. Some hardtroops look more like armored vehicles than Umiak.
I was catching up on backstory and setting, and now all I can think of are Umiak analogues of Adeptus Mechanicus Kataphron Battle Servitors from Warhammer 40K. Arioch, I noticed GURPS features fairly regularly as a method of cross-comparison, have you ever entertained what kind of unit profile various dramatic personae or Infantry (e.g., hardtroopers) would have? As much of a background as I have with that game, I tend to look to it for comparisons in understanding something’s relative power or strength.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:I was catching up on backstory and setting, and now all I can think of are Umiak analogues of Adeptus Mechanicus Kataphron Battle Servitors from Warhammer 40K. Arioch, I noticed GURPS features fairly regularly as a method of cross-comparison, have you ever entertained what kind of unit profile various dramatic personae or Infantry (e.g., hardtroopers) would have? As much of a background as I have with that game, I tend to look to it for comparisons in understanding something’s relative power or strength.
I never did any workups for Umiak troops in GURPS. I had done some fiddling around with GURPS stats for armored troops for the progenitor story to Outsider (about a Human interstellar civil war), and I found that the Ultra Tech gear started to lose consistency around TL10; for example, in my notes the Infantry Combat armor had PD6 DR65, but the contemporary assault rifle only did 6d cr... which means it was effectively incapable of penetrating that armor, even when using armor piercing ammunition. That didn't sound to me like the offensive/defensive balance that I was looking for.

My books are currently in storage. I'd like to fish them out at some point and take a look at that again.

Corpsman_of_Krieg

Arioch wrote:
Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:I was catching up on backstory and setting, and now all I can think of are Umiak analogues of Adeptus Mechanicus Kataphron Battle Servitors from Warhammer 40K. Arioch, I noticed GURPS features fairly regularly as a method of cross-comparison, have you ever entertained what kind of unit profile various dramatic personae or Infantry (e.g., hardtroopers) would have? As much of a background as I have with that game, I tend to look to it for comparisons in understanding something’s relative power or strength.
I never did any workups for Umiak troops in GURPS. I had done some fiddling around with GURPS stats for armored troops for the progenitor story to Outsider (about a Human interstellar civil war), and I found that the Ultra Tech gear started to lose consistency around TL10; for example, in my notes the Infantry Combat armor had PD6 DR65, but the contemporary assault rifle only did 6d cr... which means it was effectively incapable of penetrating that armor, even when using armor piercing ammunition. That didn't sound to me like the offensive/defensive balance that I was looking for.

My books are currently in storage. I'd like to fish them out at some point and take a look at that again.
I realize in rereading my message that I omitted the part where I had meant to say “Warhammer 40K unit profiles.” I actually know very little about GURPS; my mistake!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:I realize in rereading my message that I omitted the part where I had meant to say “Warhammer 40K unit profiles.” I actually know very little about GURPS; my mistake!
Ah, when you said "that game" I thought you meant GURPS.

As with all things Umiak, there is significant variety among the Hardtroops. Some would be roughly analogous to the Space Marine infantry, some to the heavy Terminators, and some to the Dreadnoughts. But those analogues only go so far; 40K is not what I would call a "realistic" tactical simulation.

Corpsman_of_Krieg

Arioch wrote:
Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:I realize in rereading my message that I omitted the part where I had meant to say “Warhammer 40K unit profiles.” I actually know very little about GURPS; my mistake!
Ah, when you said "that game" I thought you meant GURPS.

As with all things Umiak, there is significant variety among the Hardtroops. Some would be roughly analogous to the Space Marine infantry, some to the heavy Terminators, and some to the Dreadnoughts. But those analogues only go so far; 40K is not what I would call a "realistic" tactical simulation.
That is certainly true! Very much science fantasy. Thanks for the references; helps me understand them better.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Arioch, could a Barsam win in melee combat against an Umiak ? And one Umiak against a Delrias ? What about a Barsam versus a Delrias ?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Onaiom wrote:Arioch, could a Barsam win in melee combat against an Umiak ? And one Umiak against a Delrias ? What about a Barsam versus a Delrias ?
Clearly you haven't heard the Barsam battle hymn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUTJ0klnKk

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Onaiom wrote:Arioch, could a Barsam win in melee combat against an Umiak ? And one Umiak against a Delrias ? What about a Barsam versus a Delrias ?
Assuming you mean unarmed hand-to-hand combat between individuals with equivalent preparation and training: Barsam are larger and heavier than Delrias, and are very tough with excellent endurance. Delrias are faster and have great strength in short bursts. If he can survive the initial onslaught, the odds favor the Barsam in a drawn-out fight.

The physical capabilities of Umiak vary widely due to gene tailoring and surgical and cybernetic alternations. A hypothetical "pure-strain" Umiak in a native 1/3 G environment is very fast, but without weaponry I would expect either a Barsam or Delrias to be able to take one down, if it can be got hold of. Such an Umiak individual would probably be easy pickings in a 1 G environment. Genetically modified Umiak soldiers raised for heavy gravity environments would probably give a better account of themselves, but they're slow and not really specialized for unarmed fighting, so I think the edge still goes to the Barsam or Delrias combatants.

An Umiak hardtrooper is an armored cyborg death machine, so it can't really be "unarmed." A weaponless Barsam or Delrias would have a very difficult time taking down one of these.

Werra

Post by Werra »

How does the Umiak stack handle changing participants in an ongoing discussion?

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Arioch wrote:
Assuming you mean unarmed hand-to-hand combat between individuals with equivalent preparation and training: Barsam are larger and heavier than Delrias, and are very tough with excellent endurance. Delrias are faster and have great strength in short bursts. If he can survive the initial onslaught, the odds favor the Barsam in a drawn-out fight.
Now the real question is. Will the loroi try to interrupt such a brawl or just stand back and shout "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT"?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:How does the Umiak stack handle changing participants in an ongoing discussion?
A polite speaker will refrain from using references that the new participants don't know, and (if necessary) explain what was being talked about. An impolite speaker may deliberately exclude new participants by using unfamiliar references. In a similar way to how pronouns or indirect references might need to be clarified in our own language for a new speaker ("which 'she' are you referring to?").

Werra

Post by Werra »

The Soia (and that other species) used gene modification to terraform ecosystems. Did they also shape the landscapes directly?

Is there a common stack in effect for Umiak if they haven't created their own in a chat with each other yet? Could Umiak exchange "posit-xs" to have polite smalltalk?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:The Soia (and that other species) used gene modification to terraform ecosystems. Did they also shape the landscapes directly?
There is pretty clear evidence that there were some large-scale planetary engineering projects undertaken during the Dreiman era, including moving moons around, crashing comets into planets to beef up the atmosphere, and building gigantic spaceborne megaliths. There aren't many clear examples of this during the Soia era, though the boundary between the two eras is not always clear in some locations, and so it's not always possible to say with certainty whether a certain work near the transition date is Dreiman or Soia.

There are some who suggest that the Dreiman were actually just setting things up for the Soia, but others point out that many Dreiman projects were abandoned unfinished, or went almost entirely unused during the Soia era.
Werra wrote:Is there a common stack in effect for Umiak if they haven't created their own in a chat with each other yet? Could Umiak exchange "posit-xs" to have polite smalltalk?
Although the stack can contain anything, it is most commonly used for proper nouns, in a similar way that we use pronouns. Common preset stacks of proper nouns probably wouldn't make much sense for most conversations. Familiar speakers might use agreed upon slang, references or code words, but I don't think this really integrates into the stack, since the order of the stack is specific to a conversation.

I can imagine that some Umiak might have sharp enough memories that they can keep a running conversation with another Umiak going over multiple discreet occasions, remembering the previous stack and adding new stack elements in the new occasion's conversation at the next highest stack number from the previous conversation (say, 22 instead of 1), and then make references to the previous conversation. But I think this would be confusing even for an Umiak.

Starting with a higher stack number would be one way for two Umiak to accommodate a third Umiak who joined an existing conversation, adding new stack elements at the current number, but declining to reference previous elements that were established before the new speaker entered the conversation, as that would be impolite.