Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Hālian

Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Post by Hālian »

What sort of rank structure, if any, do the Umiak have?

Also how quickly do Tenuki reproduce? Right now for the sake of making an interesting subset of MTG cards I have a provisional answer not dissimilar to "like goblins or rabbits", and I have no idea on the correctness of that.
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Post by Arioch »

Umiak job titles are very specific; they have no trouble remembering the exact command hierarchy of all 500 individuals on a ship, and so don't need abstracted ranks such as we use.

I haven't thought in any detail about the Tenuki reproductive practices.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Well, damn. There goes my idea to make the Umiak cards in the set be based on rank like the Loroi ones :P
Don't delay, join today!

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

Does the Umiak have a hivemind, or a Queen, like ants, or can they breed and think freely amongst themselves?

Do the Umiak enforce their caste system onto other species, or do they just leave them as is?

And, a big one, do the Umiak possess a technology equivalent of the Loroi's far-sensing abilities? Or is it just a war of quantity versus quality?

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Jakelope13 wrote: And, a big one, do the Umiak possess a technology equivalent of the Loroi's far-sensing abilities? Or is it just a war of quantity versus quality?
As far as the comic timeline is: NO, the Umiak don't have a "far-sensing" ability, however by the end of the chapter 1 they may have found a counter measure ( or someone else)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Umiak society emphasizes duty to the whole rather than individuality, but they do not have a literal "hive mind." Some strains of Umiak appear to be reproductively viable, but the details of their reproductive practices are not clear (those Umiak captured by the Loroi did not know anything about the subject). Loroi intelligence speculates that most Umiak are birthed through artificial processes.

The Umiak as occupiers do not appear to interfere with the internal affairs of subject nations, as long as they are able to meet their tribute demands.

As Tempo mentions on page 66, the Loroi long-range detection capability is not shared by the Umiak.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Do the Umiak have any sort of recreational urges (not PROcreational urges)? Do they have sports or games or anything like that? Or are they all work and no play?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Umiak do have recreational activities, though Umiak military crews often don't have much in the way of personal time. One "recreational" activity that Umiak crews engage in while on duty, even and especially in times of action and stress, is "singing." It's a group call-and-response chant kind of thing, sometimes accompanied by percussion, with words and rhythm but no melody (dare we call it... group rapping?).

Emcha

Post by Emcha »

Arioch wrote:Umiak do have recreational activities, though Umiak military crews often don't have much in the way of personal time. One "recreational" activity that Umiak crews engage in while on duty, even and especially in times of action and stress, is "singing." It's a group call-and-response chant kind of thing, sometimes accompanied by percussion, with words and rhythm but no melody (dare we call it... group rapping?).
I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

thanks for that mental image.

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

Emcha wrote:I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

I'm suddenly imaging the Mando battle chants, from the Republic Commando series of books.

There's a lot more punching in that version, though. If you missed your timing, someone would wind up with a lot less teeth than they started with :lol:

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Jakelope13 wrote:
Emcha wrote:I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

I'm suddenly imaging the Mando battle chants, from the Republic Commando series of books.

There's a lot more punching in that version, though. If you missed your timing, someone would wind up with a lot less teeth than they started with :lol:
Some warrior-cultures are more of the warriors-in-culture type than the culture-in-warriors style, what else can we say :shrug: .

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

can someone draw a picture of an umiak and a loroi rapping, for some odd reason i want to see tthat. Dont ask we me why i just fo.

Murica

Post by Murica »

Emcha wrote:
Arioch wrote:Umiak do have recreational activities, though Umiak military crews often don't have much in the way of personal time. One "recreational" activity that Umiak crews engage in while on duty, even and especially in times of action and stress, is "singing." It's a group call-and-response chant kind of thing, sometimes accompanied by percussion, with words and rhythm but no melody (dare we call it... group rapping?).
I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

Wait you only just started having those dreams? I thought it was a normal side effect! Am I really that crazy?

Murica

Post by Murica »

What's the population of the umiak compared to lorii populations? How much are the lorii outnumbered?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

eeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

STILLSTORM!

VERSUS!

KIKITIK-27!

BEGIN
Murica wrote:What's the population of the umiak compared to lorii populations? How much are the lorii outnumbered?
Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.

Murica

Post by Murica »

Arioch wrote:eeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

STILLSTORM!

VERSUS!

KIKITIK-27!

BEGIN
Murica wrote:What's the population of the umiak compared to lorii populations? How much are the lorii outnumbered?
Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.
Lol I knew someone was going to reference ERBOH

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

Arioch wrote:The Umiak as occupiers do not appear to interfere with the internal affairs of subject nations, as long as they are able to meet their tribute demands.
So, the Umiak don't even alter the industrious sections of planets for creating Umiak technology? Or is Umiak tech more of a conglomeration of all of the species they've taken over?

Or, do the Umiak have mobile stations that, after conquering a species, they fly it in, set it up, and start pumping out Umiak ships/troops?

Murica

Post by Murica »

Are we gonna see that umiak ultra heavy ship? If so is it going to be as cool as it sounds?

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
I can see it now: "Our diplomats don't seem to know that we're at war, so I'm afraid that negotiations are impossible. It's a bureaucratic thing."

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

Absalom wrote:
Arioch wrote:Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.
I can see it now: "Our diplomats don't seem to know that we're at war, so I'm afraid that negotiations are impossible. It's a bureaucratic thing."
"Hello, I'd like to discuss reparations-"
"That's a matter of the Planetary Control Disputation Department"
"Yes, I talked to-"
"In that case, please find your local representative of the Intraplanetary Disputation Department"
"Isn't-"
"No, they are not the same department. One handles case-by-case disputes, the other discusses disputes in a holistic fashion."
"Which-"
"I'm sorry, that's all the time I have for you today. NEXT!"