Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread 
Author Message
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Tamri wrote:
What is the average height / weight Arekka? They Avian, or just something to ground with feathers / fur?

A typical Arekka is 2.5m tall and weighs 50-60kg. They are descended from ground-walking animals and have no ancestry of natural flight; the downy covering is for insulation and display.

Tamri wrote:
Nissek expanded towards the people and have been blocked Loroi / Barsam, or they are the wrong way initially not too eager?

Earlier in their history the Nissek aggressively attempted to expand in all directions, and they waged a number of territorial wars against their neighbors, including the Mannadi and Barsam. Their spinward expansion attempts were mostly thwarted by the Mannadi and Barsam, and the formation of the Loroi Union in 1557 formally put an end to their attempts to expand in that direction.

Tamri wrote:
What will take (hypothetically) Umiak, if they manage to drive a wedge into the Union to Mannadi-Arekka space (on the Loroi-Historian border like, well, except that it will effectively mean the defeat of the Union)?

Driving along the Loroi-Historian border would be a dangerous strategy, because occupied Mannadi and Arekka territories are not critical to the Loroi war effort, and such an offensive would form a long, narrow salient that could be easily counterattacked by both Historian and Loroi forces anywhere along its length.

Tamri wrote:
What will their actions in the Loroi occupied species?

That would depend on the situation; the Umiak haven't declared a clear policy on the subject. The Umiak demanded and received unconditional surrender from the Loroi and Neridi colonies that they overran at the beginning of the war, but then later began extermination of the captured populations.

_________________
Outsider


Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 581
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Tamri wrote:
What will their actions in the Loroi occupied species?

That would depend on the situation; the Umiak haven't declared a clear policy on the subject. The Umiak demanded and received unconditional surrender from the Loroi and Neridi colonies that they overran at the beginning of the war, but then later began extermination of the captured populations.


Extermination of the Neridi population/colonies as well?
I'd be a bit surprised to hear they waged a succesful guerilla war as the Loroi did.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:56 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 pm
Posts: 550
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
In Warhammer 40k, GURPS and many other universes there are special munitions that create electro-magnetic pulses that short out cyborgs and machines. Would such ammunition types be effective against Umiak ground forces; or would the grubs have sufficient shielding built into their cybernetics to protect against such an obvious weakness?


Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:02 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
GeoModder wrote:
Extermination of the Neridi population/colonies as well?
I'd be a bit surprised to hear they waged a succesful guerilla war as the Loroi did.

There were Loroi on the Neridi colonies as well. The Tinza sector was and is still fairly cosmopolitan, and the military bases are all Loroi-manned.

Grayhome wrote:
In Warhammer 40k, GURPS and many other universes there are special munitions that create electro-magnetic pulses that short out cyborgs and machines. Would such ammunition types be effective against Umiak ground forces; or would the grubs have sufficient shielding built into their cybernetics to protect against such an obvious weakness?

Any military hardware needs to have some kind of EM shielding.

_________________
Outsider


Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:16 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 581
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
Extermination of the Neridi population/colonies as well?
I'd be a bit surprised to hear they waged a succesful guerilla war as the Loroi did.

There were Loroi on the Neridi colonies as well. The Tinza sector was and is still fairly cosmopolitan, and the military bases are all Loroi-manned.


Ah, of course. :oops:
It is telling that the Umiak didn't make a difference between the assumed few numbers of Loroi on Neridi colonies and the local Neridi populations.
Granted that the Neridi are by most the closest ally of the Loroi though. Did those genocides on occupied Neridi colonies start before or after the Hierarchy declared its anti-neutrality policy?

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
GeoModder wrote:
It is telling that the Umiak didn't make a difference between the assumed few numbers of Loroi on Neridi colonies and the local Neridi populations. Granted that the Neridi are by most the closest ally of the Loroi though.

Most of the captured Neridi systems were made a part of Morat territory, and so were under a joint Umiak-Morat occupation. The largest captured Neridi colony was Azimol, which had a significant Loroi population. The Neridi were by no means innocent bystanders (a Neridi civilian can commit sabotage as well as anyone else), and it was a messy situation; when a facility blows up, you don't necessarily know who did it. The occupation forces were perplexed by the ability of captured populations to wage an effective insurgency even after they were rounded up and monitored. At one point the Morat began to suspect that the Neridi were also secretly telepathic. And unlike the comparatively dispassionate Umiak, the Morat (who were under a lot of pressure) responded especially harshly to the insurgency. To make a long (and unpleasant) story short, when the decision was made that the captured colonies could not efficiently be pacified, the resulting liquidation included Neridi as well as Loroi.

The Neridi have skin in this game. In addition to the losses during invasion and occupation, when the Umiak started raiding Laget through Tithric territory, it was mainly Neridi civilians who were killed. For the Neridi, the war is personal, and not just against the Loroi. In particular, the Neridi have developed a burning hatred for the Morat, who they had previously regarded as friendly neighbors.

GeoModder wrote:
Did those genocides on occupied Neridi colonies start before or after the Hierarchy declared its anti-neutrality policy?

The anti-neutrality policy had nothing to do with the treatment of captured Union populations, who were most definitely not neutral. But to answer your question, the anti-neutrality declaration was in late 2141, whereas liquidation protocols began in late 2143.

_________________
Outsider


Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 pm
Posts: 550
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Quote:
The occupation forces were perplexed by the ability of captured populations to wage an effective insurgency even after they were rounded up and monitored. At one point the Morat began to suspect that the Neridi were also secretly telepathic.


Oh my goodness, were the Loroi mind controlling/body swapping with their Neridi "friends" and using them as drone proxies to attack the Umiak? Oooo, the questions this raises. ;)


Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:58 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:00 pm
Posts: 1065
Location: Athens, Greece
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
I suspect that the Neridi were easier to 'read' and could perhaps 'receive' basic instructions thus allowing them to act as lookouts and agents of opportunity.

Plus they are short little buggers and can fit everywhere.

_________________
My fan fics

Looking forward to the Mirror (Final Editing)
The pale horse (irregular updates)


Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:02 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 pm
Posts: 550
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Quote:
I suspect that the Neridi were easier to 'read' and could perhaps 'receive' basic instructions thus allowing them to act as lookouts and agents of opportunity.


I love your naive and idealistic nature.


Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:38 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Grayhome wrote:
Quote:
The occupation forces were perplexed by the ability of captured populations to wage an effective insurgency even after they were rounded up and monitored. At one point the Morat began to suspect that the Neridi were also secretly telepathic.

Oh my goodness, were the Loroi mind controlling/body swapping with their Neridi "friends" and using them as drone proxies to attack the Umiak?

Of course not. The occupiers merely underestimated the effectiveness of the Loroi psionic warfare castes.

_________________
Outsider


Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 pm
Posts: 550
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Awww, so less ruthless than what I was expecting.

Quote:
The occupiers merely underestimated the effectiveness of the Loroi psionic warfare castes.


Wow, people seem to do that a lot.


Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:47 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Grayhome wrote:
Wow, people seem to do that a lot.

Well, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

_________________
Outsider


Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 581
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
It is telling that the Umiak didn't make a difference between the assumed few numbers of Loroi on Neridi colonies and the local Neridi populations. Granted that the Neridi are by most the closest ally of the Loroi though.

Most of the captured Neridi systems were made a part of Morat territory, and so were under a joint Umiak-Morat occupation...


Ah? Did the Hierarchy so to speak grant additional territory to their Morat ally? Or was providing occupation forces for captured worlds a sort of demand of the Umiak towards the Morat?

Arioch wrote:
The Neridi have skin in this game. In addition to the losses during invasion and occupation, when the Umiak started raiding Laget through Tithric territory, it was mainly Neridi civilians who were killed. For the Neridi, the war is personal, and not just against the Loroi. In particular, the Neridi have developed a burning hatred for the Morat, who they had previously regarded as friendly neighbors.


Had to look up the expression 'skin in this game'. Did you mean that beside the loss of life the Neridi also lost a vast amount of investment?

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
Did those genocides on occupied Neridi colonies start before or after the Hierarchy declared its anti-neutrality policy?

The anti-neutrality policy had nothing to do with the treatment of captured Union populations, who were most definitely not neutral. But to answer your question, the anti-neutrality declaration was in late 2141, whereas liquidation protocols began in late 2143.


Thanks.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:50 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
GeoModder wrote:
Ah? Did the Hierarchy so to speak grant additional territory to their Morat ally?

Yes, it was a gift of territory in reward for their contribution to the war. The Morat were (and still technically are) an independent ally, and the Umiak know how to use the carrot as well as the stick.

GeoModder wrote:
Had to look up the expression 'skin in this game'. Did you mean that beside the loss of life the Neridi also lost a vast amount of investment?

Having multiple colonies captured or destroyed and millions of your people killed is of course also a huge financial loss, but I was implying a more visceral investment. To throw more metaphor at you: when you "lose your shirt" that's financial ruin, but when you "save someone's skin" that's something more serious, so "skin in the game" implies (at least in my opinion) that there's more than just money at stake. The Neridi have shed their own blood and they want blood in return; their participation in the war is not just a favor for a friend (as it is for the Barsam).

_________________
Outsider


Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:59 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:15 pm
Posts: 43
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
The Neridi have shed their own blood and they want blood in return; their participation in the war is not just a favor for a friend (as it is for the Barsam).


That's interesting.

Do the Barsam have no reason to believe the Umiak would enslave them?


Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:34 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Eluvatar wrote:
Do the Barsam have no reason to believe the Umiak would enslave them?

That's open to academic debate (as the Barsam are committed to mutual defense of the Union by treaty regardless of how they feel about it), but I meant that the Barsam have suffered no direct attacks on their territory or civilian populations in the current war, and so there is no personal vendetta or hatred against the Hierarchy. The Barsam are nominally pacifists, so while they support the war effort, most just want it to be over. If the Umiak were to offer a truce tomorrow, I think many Barsam would counsel acceptance.

_________________
Outsider


Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 581
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
Had to look up the expression 'skin in this game'. Did you mean that beside the loss of life the Neridi also lost a vast amount of investment?

Having multiple colonies captured or destroyed and millions of your people killed is of course also a huge financial loss, but I was implying a more visceral investment. To throw more metaphor at you: when you "lose your shirt" that's financial ruin, but when you "save someone's skin" that's something more serious, so "skin in the game" implies (at least in my opinion) that there's more than just money at stake. The Neridi have shed their own blood and they want blood in return; their participation in the war is not just a favor for a friend (as it is for the Barsam).


Thanks again! :lol: I was thinking along those lines at first too, but looking up the expression online brought me to the financial meaning.

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:35 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:15 pm
Posts: 43
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Eluvatar wrote:
Do the Barsam have no reason to believe the Umiak would enslave them?

That's open to academic debate (as the Barsam are committed to mutual defense of the Union by treaty regardless of how they feel about it), but I meant that the Barsam have suffered no direct attacks on their territory or civilian populations in the current war, and so there is no personal vendetta or hatred against the Hierarchy. The Barsam are nominally pacifists, so while they support the war effort, most just want it to be over. If the Umiak were to offer a truce tomorrow, I think many Barsam would counsel acceptance.

And the Neridi would not?

Huh.


Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:55 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 657
Location: Central Florida
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
...I just noticed that in the Umiak data file, the sample umiak's arms are on backwards.

_________________
Hoenn


Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Carl Miller wrote:
...I just noticed that in the Umiak data file, the sample umiak's arms are on backwards.

In what way are they backwards?

_________________
Outsider


Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 657
Location: Central Florida
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
His right hand is the normal one when the text says that should be the left hand.

_________________
Hoenn


Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Carl Miller wrote:
His right hand is the normal one when the text says that should be the left hand.

As it says in the description, not all Umiak have the right hand specialization; in some the right hand is normal. The illustration shows both versions.

_________________
Outsider


Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 657
Location: Central Florida
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
D'oh.

Was the claw specific to any of the subspecies before they were all mixed together into the umiak we will know in 144 years?

_________________
Hoenn


Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2308
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Carl Miller wrote:
Was the claw specific to any of the subspecies before they were all mixed together into the umiak we will know in 144 years?

Yes, it was specific to the nomadic Hal-tik.

_________________
Outsider


Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:00 pm
Posts: 1065
Location: Athens, Greece
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Quick question: What was the name of the Centaur like Soia-Liron race that used to live on Deinar before the Loroi?

_________________
My fan fics

Looking forward to the Mirror (Final Editing)
The pale horse (irregular updates)


Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.