Well of Souls Forums
http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/

Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread
http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=884
Page 1 of 15

Author:  Hālian [ Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

What sort of rank structure, if any, do the Umiak have?

Also how quickly do Tanuki reproduce? Right now for the sake of making an interesting subset of MTG cards I have a provisional answer not dissimilar to "like goblins or rabbits", and I have no idea on the correctness of that.

Author:  Arioch [ Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Umiak job titles are very specific; they have no trouble remembering the exact command hierarchy of all 500 individuals on a ship, and so don't need abstracted ranks such as we use.

I haven't thought in any detail about the Tanuki reproductive practices.

Author:  Hālian [ Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Well, damn. There goes my idea to make the Umiak cards in the set be based on rank like the Loroi ones :P

Author:  Jakelope13 [ Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Does the Umiak have a hivemind, or a Queen, like ants, or can they breed and think freely amongst themselves?

Do the Umiak enforce their caste system onto other species, or do they just leave them as is?

And, a big one, do the Umiak possess a technology equivalent of the Loroi's far-sensing abilities? Or is it just a war of quantity versus quality?

Author:  NOMAD [ Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Jakelope13 wrote:
And, a big one, do the Umiak possess a technology equivalent of the Loroi's far-sensing abilities? Or is it just a war of quantity versus quality?


As far as the comic timeline is: NO, the Umiak don't have a "far-sensing" ability, however by the end of the chapter 1 they may have found a counter measure ( or someone else)

Author:  Arioch [ Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Umiak society emphasizes duty to the whole rather than individuality, but they do not have a literal "hive mind." Some strains of Umiak appear to be reproductively viable, but the details of their reproductive practices are not clear (those Umiak captured by the Loroi did not know anything about the subject). Loroi intelligence speculates that most Umiak are birthed through artificial processes.

The Umiak as occupiers do not appear to interfere with the internal affairs of subject nations, as long as they are able to meet their tribute demands.

As Tempo mentions on page 66, the Loroi long-range detection capability is not shared by the Umiak.

Author:  fredgiblet [ Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Do the Umiak have any sort of recreational urges (not PROcreational urges)? Do they have sports or games or anything like that? Or are they all work and no play?

Author:  Arioch [ Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Umiak do have recreational activities, though Umiak military crews often don't have much in the way of personal time. One "recreational" activity that Umiak crews engage in while on duty, even and especially in times of action and stress, is "singing." It's a group call-and-response chant kind of thing, sometimes accompanied by percussion, with words and rhythm but no melody (dare we call it... group rapping?).

Author:  Emcha [ Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Arioch wrote:
Umiak do have recreational activities, though Umiak military crews often don't have much in the way of personal time. One "recreational" activity that Umiak crews engage in while on duty, even and especially in times of action and stress, is "singing." It's a group call-and-response chant kind of thing, sometimes accompanied by percussion, with words and rhythm but no melody (dare we call it... group rapping?).


I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

thanks for that mental image.

Author:  Jakelope13 [ Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Emcha wrote:
I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

thanks for that mental image.
I'm suddenly imaging the Mando battle chants, from the Republic Commando series of books.

There's a lot more punching in that version, though. If you missed your timing, someone would wind up with a lot less teeth than they started with :lol:

Author:  Absalom [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Jakelope13 wrote:
Emcha wrote:
I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

thanks for that mental image.
I'm suddenly imaging the Mando battle chants, from the Republic Commando series of books.

There's a lot more punching in that version, though. If you missed your timing, someone would wind up with a lot less teeth than they started with :lol:
Some warrior-cultures are more of the warriors-in-culture type than the culture-in-warriors style, what else can we say :shrug: .

Author:  wasp609 [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

can someone draw a picture of an umiak and a loroi rapping, for some odd reason i want to see tthat. Dont ask we me why i just fo.

Author:  Murica [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Emcha wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Umiak do have recreational activities, though Umiak military crews often don't have much in the way of personal time. One "recreational" activity that Umiak crews engage in while on duty, even and especially in times of action and stress, is "singing." It's a group call-and-response chant kind of thing, sometimes accompanied by percussion, with words and rhythm but no melody (dare we call it... group rapping?).


I'm now imagining an umiak on stage with a microphone, having a rap battle with a Loroi, both of them are all tatted out and are wearing sagging pants and flak vests.

thanks for that mental image.

Wait you only just started having those dreams? I thought it was a normal side effect! Am I really that crazy?

Author:  Murica [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

What's the population of the umiak compared to lorii populations? How much are the lorii outnumbered?

Author:  Arioch [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

eeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

STILLSTORM!

VERSUS!

KIKITIK-27!

BEGIN

Murica wrote:
What's the population of the umiak compared to lorii populations? How much are the lorii outnumbered?

Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.

Author:  Murica [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Arioch wrote:
eeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

STILLSTORM!

VERSUS!

KIKITIK-27!

BEGIN

Murica wrote:
What's the population of the umiak compared to lorii populations? How much are the lorii outnumbered?

Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.

Lol I knew someone was going to reference ERBOH

Author:  Jakelope13 [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Arioch wrote:
The Umiak as occupiers do not appear to interfere with the internal affairs of subject nations, as long as they are able to meet their tribute demands.
So, the Umiak don't even alter the industrious sections of planets for creating Umiak technology? Or is Umiak tech more of a conglomeration of all of the species they've taken over?

Or, do the Umiak have mobile stations that, after conquering a species, they fly it in, set it up, and start pumping out Umiak ships/troops?

Author:  Murica [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Are we gonna see that umiak ultra heavy ship? If so is it going to be as cool as it sounds?

Author:  Absalom [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Arioch wrote:
Murica wrote:
What's the population of the umiak compared to lorii populations? How much are the lorii outnumbered?

Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.
I can see it now: "Our diplomats don't seem to know that we're at war, so I'm afraid that negotiations are impossible. It's a bureaucratic thing."

Author:  Jakelope13 [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Absalom wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.
I can see it now: "Our diplomats don't seem to know that we're at war, so I'm afraid that negotiations are impossible. It's a bureaucratic thing."

"Hello, I'd like to discuss reparations-"
"That's a matter of the Planetary Control Disputation Department"
"Yes, I talked to-"
"In that case, please find your local representative of the Intraplanetary Disputation Department"
"Isn't-"
"No, they are not the same department. One handles case-by-case disputes, the other discusses disputes in a holistic fashion."
"Which-"
"I'm sorry, that's all the time I have for you today. NEXT!"

Author:  Absalom [ Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

And, of course, neither hand can agree as to which hand they are, and even if they could, the only person authorized to file the paperwork died at their desk last week, just as the entire HR staff and the only janitor authorized to move dead bodies (not remove, that has to be authorized by paperwork filed by you-know-who first) died the day before (don't eat the tuna salad).

Author:  fredgiblet [ Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Jakelope13 wrote:
Absalom wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Nobody knows. The Loroi do not know the extent of Umiak territory, and (as is the case with many subjects) the Umiak they capture don't know either.
I can see it now: "Our diplomats don't seem to know that we're at war, so I'm afraid that negotiations are impossible. It's a bureaucratic thing."

"Hello, I'd like to discuss reparations-"
"That's a matter of the Planetary Control Disputation Department"
"Yes, I talked to-"
"In that case, please find your local representative of the Intraplanetary Disputation Department"
"Isn't-"
"No, they are not the same department. One handles case-by-case disputes, the other discusses disputes in a holistic fashion."
"Which-"
"I'm sorry, that's all the time I have for you today. NEXT!"


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/

It lags pretty bad in the middle, but I recommend it still.

Author:  Karst45 [ Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Jakelope13 wrote:
So, the Umiak don't even alter the industrious sections of planets for creating Umiak technology? Or is Umiak tech more of a conglomeration of all of the species they've taken over?


We are the bug, your technological and cultural distinctiveness will be weld randomly on our ship for cool unique ship design, resistance is... 2500 ohm... whu?

Author:  Jakelope13 [ Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

If the Umiak are believed to be created via an artificial process (and, since they're akin to insects, and therefore have a natural exoskeleton) does that mean that the Umiak don't have to wear a space suit, just some kind of breathing apparatus? Or, can they modify themselves to the point of making a cybernetic Umiak that doesn't require an atmosphere to breathe?

Also, are the Historians partly based on Larry Niven's Pierson Puppeteers? Both of them are highly reclusive, and the Puppeteers were known for interfering in the development of other species (including helping 'domesticate' one species, to better preserve the peace). However, they are fearful of other species, going so far as to limit interactions through robots, or through insane members of their society (the insane ones are the only Puppeteers who have ever left their homeworld).

Author:  Arioch [ Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Jakelope13 wrote:
If the Umiak are believed to be created via an artificial process (and, since they're akin to insects, and therefore have a natural exoskeleton) does that mean that the Umiak don't have to wear a space suit, just some kind of breathing apparatus?

No.

Jakelope13 wrote:
Or, can they modify themselves to the point of making a cybernetic Umiak that doesn't require an atmosphere to breathe?

Yes. The cyborg still requires oxygen, but the system can be sealed.

Jakelope13 wrote:
Also, are the Historians partly based on Larry Niven's Pierson Puppeteers?

No. The "high-tech race" archetype often has recognizable characteristics.

Page 1 of 15 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/