Homeworld: Shipbreakers

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Siber

Re: Homeworld: Shipbreakers

Post by Siber »

I haven't gone back through and checked, but I'm reasonably sure it was a point made in a few places of the HW1 manual that the limited habitable region of Kharak was noticeably contracting, with technology struggling to slow it down. So it's maybe a bit cheesy to use as a motivating factor here, but not something I'm going to hold against them much

I really don't like all these starwars-esque hovercraft things I've seen though. I'd personally keep stuff like that out of even a hw2 era groundwar game.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

I think the desert expanding is something that occurred throughout the Kharak history. I reread the Sjet history and it mentions even in the religious wars, the desert was expanding, even in the 300-400 KDS. Even the earliest history mentions natural disasters from 75-250, thus it may be easy to assume the planet was very sensitive to human activity (farming, very early industry) from the beginning.

As for hover vehicles, I snap know the tect of the space ships is well known. Ground vehicles not so much.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

It from the recent media blitz it appears that Kiith Gaalsien stumbled across Taiidan or Hiigaran technology in the desert and engineered their hover vehicles from the lost tech. It seems this is what gives them their edge in battle. It is not "normal" tech in the setting.

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

So. Mission centric spoilers coming up. Don't click until you have passed mission 8.
SpoilerShow
In Tombs of The Ancients, it becomes clear that the reason there are so many wrecks hidden in the equator on Kharak is because of the Hyperspace core pirating nearby jump-capable ships and summoning them towards it, entombing the vessels in perfectly box-shaped tombs of rock, which may or may not come to the surface through erosion or geological event. I find this a cool plot-hole evading "loophole" in the general scheme of things.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »