Page 88

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Wintermute

Page 88

Post by Wintermute »

Oooohhh snap!
Last edited by Wintermute on Tue May 24, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

CptWinters

Re: Page 88

Post by CptWinters »

I like Kikitik.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

I also love the Han Solo cameo on the new FTL page.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Agreed. It's a great addition.

Sprawl63

Post by Sprawl63 »

Oh damn, I'd like to think he's lying but I don't think he is. I wonder what the Azimol Citadel is? A space fortress/defensive position?

Also, Kikitik-27 is a boss. I'm liking him more then all the Loroi besides Beryl.

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

I don't think he is totally lieing. They may have deduced correctly that whoever was on that ship was unspotted(by virtue of being unintercepted) by the loroi and he's playing on that. And they might have some of the missing crew of the bell. All of this assumes that they were the one that actually did destroy her however.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

The Barsam courier Prophet's Reason was instructed to return to Azimol with a report of what Stillstorm's strike group had encountered. Azimol might be a stronghold, staging point and/or supply depot.

Oh my goodness! Neither the Loroi nor the Umiak know who vaped the Bell! Who could have done this?! Oh the drama! The suspense!

dex drako

Post by dex drako »

interesting page but it goes to show you how war influences rational minds. (Beryl's little live to lie line)
Nathan_ wrote:I don't think he is totally lieing. They may have deduced correctly that whoever was on that ship was unspotted(by virtue of being unintercepted) by the loroi and he's playing on that. And they might have some of the missing crew of the bell. All of this assumes that they were the one that actually did destroy her however.
I don't think he's lying at all myself but I don't think it matter ether way as far as human survivors go. Anyone alive from the bell won’t be for long because they are a threat to Alex's importance to the story. maybe if Alex wasn't the lowest ranked member of the crew this would be different but he was.

if anyone did lived they won't show up untill after Alex has because a hero to loroi securing his importance to the story for whatever else happens later on.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

I'm starting to think the bug likes messing with the mind of their opponent.

WE WAIT FOR AN ANSWER THERE IS NO HURRY WAITING COSTS US NOTHING WE CAN WAIT...

Magnificent Bastard traits possibly? Then again, it is good sense keep your opponent guessing as to your true motive no matter your ethical slant. War only determines who was left alive at the end after all.

dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Overkill Engine wrote:I'm starting to think the bug likes messing with the mind of their opponent.

WE WAIT FOR AN ANSWER THERE IS NO HURRY WAITING COSTS US NOTHING WE CAN WAIT...

Magnificent Bastard traits possibly? Then again, it is good sense keep your opponent guessing as to your true motive no matter your ethical slant. War only determines who was left alive at the end after all.
or it could be the combination of over confident and a bad translator.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

True. Hard to infer tone/attitude from text alone, especially after it's been translated by a machine from the native form.

How would one click/chitter arrogantly anyways?

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

ah I bet the "We will finally put an end to this war" line has been said several times over the course of this war by both sides. The Umiak will enjoy a string of major victories untill unexpectedly the Loroi regain the upper hand and push them back to the border, this will be fallowed by a string of Loroi victories with final victory just out of reach.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Overkill Engine wrote:How would one click/chitter arrogantly anyways?
tha's an interesting question to think about, kind of like the sound of one hand clapping... lol
manticore7 wrote:ah I bet the "We will finally put an end to this war" line has been said several times over the course of this war by both sides. The Umiak will enjoy a string of major victories untill unexpectedly the Loroi regain the upper hand and push them back to the border, this will be fallowed by a string of Loroi victories with final victory just out of reach.

here's an interesting idea what if that's part of the role alex is ment to play?

this physic invisibility is just most …visible aspect of what humans can do. What ever shields this fleet from the loroi may not work against humans that learn to farsee.

It’s an out there idea but an interesting possibility

Tash

Post by Tash »

Stillstorm is cold. Tashy likes.

What I'm wondering above all is; how much of this is a lie? Umiak would probably want to test out a big strategic weapon like the sensor jammer, but it seems as though he's saying they sent the fleets out concurrently with deployment of the jammer. That seems odd to me.

I also imagine you have an excellent poker face when your face is, in fact, exoskeletal and your translator is mechanical.
It's entirely possible that there is no tone, and that tictac-27 is bluffing to some extent.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

I want another update so badly right now.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Tash wrote:What I'm wondering above all is; how much of this is a lie? Umiak would probably want to test out a big strategic weapon like the sensor jammer, but it seems as though he's saying they sent the fleets out concurrently with deployment of the jammer. That seems odd to me.
Whats to say they didn't? The Umiak could have been stepping into the Steppes for some time now trying to provoke attacks. How would the Loroi have known if their forward intelligence gathering was reliant on the farseers?

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

It looks kinda like Alex's shoulder spills over into panel 2.
Anyone else see the orange and the yellow stripe?

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Don't think he's lying. The Insider pretty much confirms that both sides are waiting for the opportune moment, and that that moment has arrived.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

Wintermute wrote:Oooohhh snap!
Yeah boooooooy, ya got BURNT Stormwitch!
this physic invisibility is just most …visible aspect of what humans can do. What ever shields this fleet from the loroi may not work against humans that learn to farsee.
Or possibly humanity can farsee the disruptor devices due to some similarity in quantum-extra-sensory-bullshitollogical structure.

More likely Earth will end up being a backdoor to Umiak space though. I mean, it has to be considering the Orgus were at the rear lines of Umiak space and still got to humanities doorstep.
Last edited by dfacto on Tue May 24, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Solemn wrote:It looks kinda like Alex's shoulder spills over into panel 2.
Anyone else see the orange and the yellow stripe?
Oooohhh snap!