What if...?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

AstrumetImpera

What if...?

Post by AstrumetImpera »

ok, I'm new to the forums and I recently stumbled upon some universe named Vir Inter Astrum, set around the 24th century... sadly mankind isn't unified yet but whatever... I was wondering what would happen if the earth that made first contact (leaving time issues away and saying that to earth is 2402) is VIA's Earth... I mean, we'd be on a better place regarding tech and numbers of ships but besides that... what?

Charlie

Re: What if...?

Post by Charlie »

If I could have my way with future policy making...
The Emperor protects.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Praise be the Emperor.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

In all seriousness, though, I'm not really sure what you're asking. In the two and a half centuries you're postulating, the whole shape of the galaxy may be vastly different from what it is now: the Loroi and the Umiak may no longer exist, or one may have wiped out the other and has acceded to dominance.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

can you post a link to this series or whatever it is so I can look at it

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Anonymous... The Emperor delivers.
have`nt read through it all yet though

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

AstrumetImpera wrote:ok, I'm new to the forums and I recently stumbled upon some universe named Vir Inter Astrum, set around the 24th century... sadly mankind isn't unified yet but whatever... I was wondering what would happen if the earth that made first contact (leaving time issues away and saying that to earth is 2402) is VIA's Earth... I mean, we'd be on a better place regarding tech and numbers of ships but besides that... what?
If you're going to ask "what if" you need more information than that.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I'm not familiar with the setting, but a quick glance suggest that it seems to be an attempt at a "hard" SF setting that tries to be more realistic, so despite the extra 242 years of development, the 25th century VIA humans aren't ahead of Outsider's 22nd century Humanity technology-wise. They appear to have a better-established colonial presence, but still a smaller total human population. The largest warship (excluding carriers) appears to be a 252m heavy cruiser armed with lasers and missiles, and powered by a fusion engine capable of only 1.3G acceleration. There are a lot more of them, but they're significantly less capable than Outsider Humanity's warships.

I lost interest in investigating the capabilities of the carriers when I saw that the fighters look like this.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

I have to agree with fred; if you're going to ask "what if?" you need to bring more info to the discussion. I'd never even heard of "Vir Inter Astrum" until I happened upon this topic. But, I have access to the Net and Arioch is right: the humans of VIA wouldn't really be any better off than the humans of Outsider.

Not overly impressed with it, really. Though I had to chuckle a bit at their inclusion of Esperanto; it's different, if nothing else.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Should probably be Lojban instead of Esperanto.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

:lol:

You're killin' me, fred. If you're going to go with a conlang, might as well go hardcore, right?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

hardcore
Ithkuil.
Don't delay, join today!

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Mr Bojangles wrote:You're killin' me, fred. If you're going to go with a conlang, might as well go hardcore, right?
Might as well go with one that's designed with the majority of the world in mind.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

What if instead of TCA the Systems Alliance (Mass Effect setting) is the representative body of Earth and all human colonies in space ?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

The comic would be 350 full-color pages of asari and loroi getting it on. :P
Don't delay, join today!

Hujedamig

Post by Hujedamig »

Carl Miller wrote:The comic would be 350 full-color pages of asari and loroi getting it on. :P

"Why are we not funding this?"

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Onaiom wrote:What if instead of TCA the Systems Alliance (Mass Effect setting) is the representative body of Earth and all human colonies in space ?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite comic on the Citadel.