Stuff of interest perhaps?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Smithy

Stuff of interest perhaps?

Post by Smithy »

After bumming around in the UCL academic world for slightly too long, I've finally found some time to drag myself onto the forums, and conjure up enough effort to post... So I thought I would do some sharing.

There are a couple of things I've been reading lately that I think people on here would find interesting. From my quick skimming of the forum board posts these haven't appeared to of yet been brought up on the forum (apologies if otherwise).

Firstly the end of year report for the ATLAS (which I've had the pleasure of visiting) and CMS detectors makes for particularly interesting reading, confirming the Tau-Tau decay for the Higgs. This data is consistent with the current standard model, and rules out a yet more SUSY models (as if SUSY wasn't doing badly enough already.). An article from the register sums it up quite nicely here.

For ATLAS' own press release click here, and lastly for those more comfortable with the maths see the report.

Secondly the Edge has run a very interesting new year topic, on which scientific ideas should be "retired". So if you would like to get into that to read some of the more bizarre entries from the multiverse adherents or perhaps the more rational entries from the more down to earth experimentalists & theorists I recommend you dig in. Though if you're anything like me I would recommend reading first Columbia Universities Peter Woit, as a string theory scepticist with a well received book "Not even wrong", I feel he is uniquely placed to put much of the entries in context, regardless if you agree with him or not. Actually I would recommend his blog to you in general if you have an interest in particle physics, plus mathematical news in general.

In passing I would just like to say the art Arioch has been producing on his deviantART page is really impressive, if you haven't yet visited Arioch's page, DO!

Finally I've hit a somewhat rich vein in my own sideline artistic scratchings, with a slant towards Art-Deco, if anyone has any possible material they think I may find interesting please tell. Much love!
Last edited by Smithy on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smithy

Re: Stuff of interest perhaps?

Post by Smithy »

Oh God! How could I forget! Rosetta has powered up! (Whoop Whoop)

wasp609

Re: Stuff of interest perhaps?

Post by wasp609 »

Smithy wrote:Oh God! How could I forget! Rosetta has powered up! (Whoop Whoop)

my first though was borg cube with satellite dish and solar arrays.