A Chorus of Stars

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

wolf329

Re: A Chorus of Stars

Post by wolf329 »

A very interesting climactic scene, this has been a great few chapters.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

XIX - The Decision

=== (+) ===

After the twelfth day of familial celebrations, the guests began slowly leaving the island. A few, including Ashrain, remained as per Greywind’s request, though for what would not be answered until Greywind returned. Every guest took with them a unique memory from their visit. Some left the island with a more enlightened view of humans. Others, who still considered humanity untrustworthy, regarded the human presence on Deinar as tolerable. For some it was a sad moment to say farewell to old and new friends. Daughters shed tears as they bid farewell to their mothers. It was easy for Ben to say bye to Fireclay and Moonrune, seeing that they were studying at Toridas' Soroin Academy. Moonrune also snuck a goodbye kiss to Idaho before frolicking away shamelessly. But it was sadder to bid farewell to Ironwood who would be traveling to Perrein.

Ben blushed as Stormcry got particularly close to him, whispering into his ear before her farewell, "I do hope we will meet again, Teigorastir. When you are old enough, perhaps we can spend some intimate time together. Just you and me."

The Nedatans departed for the Toridas monastery as well. But not before Sage Glory made a personal request to allow Sister Judith to accompany them for an extended stay at the monastery. A terrible disappointment for many of the Nedatans who saw nothing attractive in Judith. Judith's desire to spend time with the Nedatans was a surprise for Greywind. But if it gave Judith more reason to stay on Deinar, then the Emperor saw no harm. Of course arrangements would have to be made before Greywind was ready to allow Judith to leave the creche to spend time at the monastery.

Greywind and the visiting Diaderets returned to Toridas as well. They and the rest of the Council reassembled at the Capital Complex. Within the secure confines of their conference hall, Oirel Lodestone called the meeting back into order.

Before Lodestone could formally initiate the meeting, Greywind surprised every Diaderet when she stood, removed her crown and, right after the four spires winked out, tossed her crown onto the center floor within the round table.

Diaderets shifted uncomfortably, speechless at this unorthodox behavior.

>Who wants it?< Greywind asked. She scanned the room, registering every confused, frustrated, disturbed, annoyed and shocked face trained on her person. >I repeat: who wants it?<

The Diaderets looked at each other, unsure of how to respond.

>Well?< Greywind sent impatiently. >Who wants it? Who wants to wear the crown? Who wants to sit on the throne? Who wants to be Emperor? Who wants to be the fifth elected Emperor of the Loroi Union? Which one of you is convinced that she can be a better ruler than me?<

The Diaderets still sent no reply, trying to understand where the Emperor was going with this.

>Some of you seem unsatisfied with my reign,< sent Greywind. >Your reasons are many. Some seem understandable. Others absurd. Your motives are selfless as well as selfish.< A few Loroi rolled their eyes at the tedious observation. >Many of you were with me at Seren, witnessing my ascension to Emperor. I remember your reactions. In some I sensed relief. Confident that the Diadem had chosen a leader that would not bend to corruption within or break in the face of overwhelming hostility from outside. In others I felt outrage that a Perreinid took the throne where only Deinarid-borns sat. Yet your concern for my heritage seemed to pale in comparison to your greatest fear; that I, a former Mizol, would usurp the throne and use my psychic powers to manipulate the Diadem. I have never used my powers once on any Diaderet within this Council. Save on those who schemed against me, to prove their involvement in the attempt to overthrow a rightly elected emperor.<

Greywind was silent a moment as she watched her words sink into her Diaderets. She carried on, >There are a few here who, if they had the courage to step forward, would have made excellent Emperors in my stead. But even in the face of extinction, you didn’t. The only eligible candidates that did step forward lacked the competency and intelligence to repel the Umiak threat. Had one of them been chosen instead of me, I guarantee we would not be here having this debate. I do not boast being the best choice among you. But I was among the few with the courage to bear the burden of the crown.<

Greywind retook her seat. >I have read in full the details of Sunbeam’s essay to subjugate humanity. It is a brilliant plan. And seems the safest plan of action in the face of escalating tensions between the Loroi Union and the Terran Confederacy.< Greywind saw Sunbeam and her kin shine with hope. >Defeating the Terran military could yield a great reward for us. But if it fails, it could cost us the very stability of the Union. The Diadem will be blamed. But the one who sits the throne will suffer the most.

>Which brings me to my next point. I became your Emperor not just to satisfy personal ambition. But to repel and destroy an imminent threat to our survival. Now I must repair the damage the war has done. But I cannot if we remain divided. Whoever sits the throne must bear the burden of every Loroi lost and every innocent bystander abused. And she must be prepared to accept the hate and blame of the Union, all the while struggling to repair the damage done. And so I will give you this one chance: I am prepared to abdicate.<

The Diaderets were shocked. Especially Lodestone who looked worriedly at her cousin.

>Don’t be so hasty,< sent Greywind. >I said I am prepared. I have not yet said under what terms. If you wish I step down from the throne, I will do so only if every one of you comes forward and openly states that she is prepared to endure the love and hate of an entire empire. And I mean everyone! Just as I have been forced to endure. Many will love you for your triumphs. Many more will find reason to spite you for your failures and perceived crimes. Every mistake of the Council will fall to you. Especially if we go to war with the Terrans. Your reputation, your legacy, your very honor will be tarnished. If you cannot accept this burden, then you do not deserve to be Emperor. So then,< Greywind looked into every eye locked on her, >which one of you is prepared to endure this?<

No one spoke. No one sent. A few fidgeted in their seats, wrestling with this speculation. Greywind noticed Iron from Heaven shifting in her seat, as if she were preparing to stand. No doubt she was considering taking on the role. But she didn’t. None of the Diaderets offered to come forward and bear the burden. Even those who wanted this war did not dare come forward. They understood that war had to be carried out by the commander-and-chief. The Emperor would be blamed for every war crime, every failed negotiation, every tragic event. They understood as well as Greywind that, no matter who was truly at fault, every perceived wrong-doing would be put on the Emperor.

Greywind scanned the assembly one last time, awaiting an answer. >No one at all?< she asked. No answer came. Greywind made to pick up her crown. Sunbeam rushed to the center floor to fetch it for the Emperor. The four spires ignited as Sunbeam set the crown once more on Gryewind’s head. >Then I remain your Emperor. And now we will discuss how we will wage this war to come.<

That shocked the assembly.

>Pardon me, Azerein,< sent Sunbeam eagerly. >Does this mean you accept the essay?<

>I do,< sent Greywind, sitting back down. Sunbeam rushed back to her seat. >I was prepared to accept the Terrans as an independent ally. But if the Confederacy continues to indoctrinate the humans with xenophobic propaganda, they’ll only become all the more dangerous. We must overthrow the Confederacy, take control of humanity ourselves.<

Lodestone was surprised by this shift on Greywind’s part. >Azerein, I understand. Who will call the motion?< Lodestone asked.

>Wait,< Greywind sent. >I request the Council grant me emergency powers until the next Diadem Convention.<

The Diadem was incredulous.

>Azerein, it was agreed upon after the war’s end that you would not declare emergency powers unless faced with a national emergency,< sent Monsoon.

>Under normal circumstances, yes,< sent Greywind. >But if we wish to prepare for this war as quickly as possible, we must forego a conventional vote. Standard bureaucratic procedures will only hinder our progress.<

>Preposterous!< Saline, a provisional Diaderet from the Dinnan Sector, protested. >I object!<

>Saline, we are facing another crisis,< sent Greywind. >Civil unrest is growing here at the Imperial Seat. The civilians are on the brink of economic and societal collapse. This calls for direct intervention. I must serve the role as provisional head of Deinar.<

Saline would not have it. >No Emperor has ruled Deinar with absolute sovereignty since Seed of Zaral’s reign. I will not accept a dictatorship.<

>I am not coveting power if that is your concern,< Greywind assured Saline.

>One does not have to intentionally covet power to be guilty of it,< Saline shot back.

>Azerein,< Lodestone interjected, >I think it would be more fitting to assign another Diaderet as provisional head to aid the Deinarid Viscounts on your behalf. Surely you remember Cry of the Wind has an appointment with the Interspecies Convention on Moro. On top of that, the Alien Assembly is expecting us to address the Nissek refugee crisis and arrangements to contact the Ninnil.<

Greywind knew all too well. The Ninnil, whom the Loroi had not yet officially contacted, were pushing into Hegemony territory. Whether the Ninnil’s advance was an act of self-defense against the Nissek or territorial expansion had yet to be determined. Since the Nissek stood in-between the Loroi and the rimward Super Bubble, from which the Ninnil seemed to originate, the Union could not confirm the Ninnil’s intentions. But their encroachment was cause for concern.

>I agree with the Chief of Staff,< sent Spirit of Fire. >As the Emperor has said many times, we must invest our talents into winning back the faith of the Alien Assembly. Setting up a temporary capital at Moro gives us an opportunity to extend our influence over the Interspecies Convention. We need to appeal to our sapient comrades. Give the alien delegates more reason to trust us again.<

Greywind’s cabinet expressed their agreement.

>A serious matter which requires immediate action,< Greywind acknowledged. >Which is why, if granted emergency powers, I will assign Torrai Oirel Lodestone as Cry of the Wind’s Interim Commander.<

Lodestone was shocked at the suggestion.

Greywind continued, >As Chief of Staff and member of this council, Lodestone conducts herself with integrity and honor. She is the ideal choice to lead you in my absence and appeal to the Alien Assembly with the right measure of dominance and empathy.<

>I am not afraid of the challenge, Azerein. But is it wise to isolate yourself from the Diadem now in these crucial times?< Lodestone urged her cousin.

Greywind insisted, >The civilians are in a desperate situation. As Emperor I have a responsibility to take care of them.<

Saline shot up from her seat and sent, >Tell that to the Serenids you left behind!<

The Diaderets became grimly silent as they received Saline’s outburst with disturbing clarity.

Greywind stood as well, clenching her fists. She tempered her anger, allowing only a bit of aggression to leak into her sending, >Saline! Do not involve yourself with what you don’t know. I made difficult decisions at the Charred Steppes while you comfortably oversaw progress of the anti-spinward frontier from your station at Gaivet.<

Saline scoffed, >The Dinnan Sector has not seen progress since the start of the war.< She begrudgingly sat back down.

>I feel compelled to agree with the Emperor,< Darkside interjected. >The Viscounts are clearly incompetent. Civilian protests are getting out of control. We need to strike back.<

>Not with brutal force,< Monsoon objected. >If we hurt the civilians, it will make us look like the bad ones.<

>At least it will silence the problematic whiners,< Darkside spat.

Monsoon hurled her own insult, >The logic of an abusive apathete!<

The Diaderets rose into an uproar. Lodestone hammered the table, calling the council back into order.

Greywind sent, >The Council’s reluctance to grant me emergency powers is understandable. But Deinar is facing a crisis too great to be ignored. We cannot overthrow the Confederacy while managing the Union’s interior affairs if we impose constraints upon ourselves.< She raised her index finger. >Twelve more tozons. That is all I want. I will stop these civilian protests and restore order. I will reevaluate the Deinarid Viscounts’ managerial standards to make them more optimal. I can also grant those involved in the coming invasion more mobility and logistical flexibility.<

The Suns were enthralled by the idea of more liberties. Despite the clouds of reluctance and skepticism, the atmosphere of the chamber was more agreeable now. Most of the Diaderets were considering Greywind’s proposal.

Most of them.

Peridot stood. >My fellow Diaderets,< she sent. >Oirel. Azerein. I feel compelled to protest. If we go to war, we will have no choice but to destroy a considerable chunk of the Terrans’ navy as well as any terrestrial forces that refuse to yield. Which means, in all likelihood, we would be essentially not just killing our enemies, but those humans who aided us during the Great War. Is it honorable to kill the very humans who helped us?<

>It’s not our fault they’re fighting for the wrong side,< Darkside justified. >If they are fortunate enough to survive the invasion, they will have the opportunity to accept our authority. Their obedience will be rewarded.<

>Well spoken,< sent Daystar.

>And if they die anyway?! What then?! Or worse yet, what happens if they live but we happen to kill someone they love? By what logic should they yield? Would you obey someone who killed your loved ones?<

>Peridot, don’t let sentiment cloud your judgement,< Sunbeam urged. >That is how wars have always been fought.<

>This isn’t about sentiment,< sent Peridot. >The Emperor is right about one thing. We need the aliens to trust us again. If the plan fails, we lose credibility. So before we cast our votes, I implore every one of my comrades to consider Can you in good conscience allow a former human ally to be killed by our own warriors? Are you prepared to accept the consequences?<

Some Diaderets gave Peridot’s pondering barely a moment’s thought before resolving that it was inconsequential. They held next to no regard for human life. Others had no desire to harm humanity, but considered any death an acceptable loss in the name of cementing Loroi dominance. Others felt justified, resolving that they were in fact rescuing the humans from the toxic dogma of the xenophobic Confederacy just as Greywind rescued human children from Terran Raiders. Some thought further back on the human envoys visiting Cry of the Wind both during and after the Great War. Or other Loroi’s personal accounts of their encounters with human veterans involved in Project Forward. Who fought alongside the Loroi. Who shared fabulous stories. Who played with them. Who laughed with them. Who touched them.

All of the Diadem was divided on the matter, from Greywind’s interior cabinet to the provisional Councilors.

Greywind interrupted the Diaderets’ reflections, >My comrades, I have thought about this over and over. We must stop the Confederacy’s poisonous influence. But know this as we prepare for war. This is not a war against empty husks. This is not extermination. This is a planned subjugation and indoctrination of a species whose obedience we are out to win. And we will lose it if we give those humans cause. We will go into Terran space to deter or destroy only those who intend us harm. And I will punish those who deviate from ethical conduct.<

The severity of Greywind’s words sunk in like cold steel still sinking into flesh. Some were instinctively dismissive of such sentiment. Others took it to heart.

>Chief of Staff,< sent Greywind, >call the vote!<

Lodestone broadcasted, >Motion to grant emergency powers to Torrai Azerein Greywind for twelve tozons. Cast your votes!<

The Yellow Suns were the first to voice their approval. That was seven votes.

All members of Greywind’s interior cabinet approved, save for Peridot, Monsoon and Brightsword. Sixteen votes.

Iron from Heaven, outspokenly opposed to Greywind’s policies, voted in favor. Seventeen.

One by one the Diaderets cast their votes. A few hesitated, either out of fear of granting Greywind more power or pity for humanity. But caved in under pressure.

Greywind looked toward Brightsword, Peridot and Monsoon, still saving their votes.

>Comrades,< sent Greywind. >The vote must be unanimous. If you refuse, we only drag this on unnecessarily. I need your support. Now it would make me happy if you complied.<

Brightsword grumbled, >You may accept my vote. But only knowing this: the blood of every Loroi we lose to the next war will be on your hands and mine.<

Monsoon sighed. >With reluctance and shame, I approve.<

Peridot reluctantly conceded and cast her vote.

The only Diaderet left was Saline. She stared. She stared unblinkingly at the Emperor, her essence sour with discontent. She refused to send and spoke, her voice full of contempt, “Yes.”

>Forty-nine votes! Motion passes,< sent Lodestone. >By the authority of the Imperial Council of Commanders, we grant Torrai Azerein Greywind the emergency powers for twelve tozons. Which are to be relinquished in good faith at the next Diadem Convention.<

>I swear to abide,< promised Greywind. She heard Saline snort something from her seat but paid it no mind. >One more thing before we continue. As is my right under the code of emergency powers, I have the right to deploy and retain our military forces as I see fit. For any commander to take initiative without consent could unravel our plans. So let’s be clear about one crucial thing. We do not invade until I make an official declaration of war. Is that understood?<

The Diaderets gave their compliance.
Last edited by Snoofman on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:15 am, edited 5 times in total.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

I'm impressed with Greywind pulling Vetinari Job Security as the means to remain in charge.

Still I think they collectively underestimate both the Confederacy and humanity resistance to be "domesticated" by Loroi.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

raistlin34 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:07 pm
I'm impressed with Greywind pulling Vetinari Job Security as the means to remain in charge.
I am reminded of the themes and story of Jingo here.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Hey ya'll.

I'm afraid I might have written myself into a corner. I had not anticipated until now that, as soon as word of subconscious telepathic contact reaches the gangers' ears, they'll panic. I have some ideas of how this could play out and how the gangers are likely to react. So before I give anything away, I want to ask you the readers what you want:

* Should I keep the story and keep rolling with it? If so, I'll let you know what my ideas are. I'm also open to suggestions.

* Or should I change Greywind's discovery of Ben's subconscious farsight a secret? In which case, she would plan to use it to spy on the gangers through their captive humans or the Terran Raiders working for them.

I am almost leaning toward the latter because it seems to make for more intrigue. But let the know what you think!
Last edited by Snoofman on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Arrogance and hubris are perfect narrative methods of causing a character to make a mistake which is obvious to the reader without the character just being stupid for no reason.

edit: It would be an interesting way of reconnecting Ben with his mom.
#1 Tempo simp

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

wolf329 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:16 pm
Arrogance and hubris are perfect narrative methods of causing a character to make a mistake which is obvious to the reader without the character just being stupid for no reason.
That does seem like a problem in some story and world building. There seem to be inevitable inconsistencies. Any further insight or suggestions?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

wolf329 wrote:

edit: It would be an interesting way of reconnecting Ben with his mom.
By rolling with the original story I've written so far? Or going with the latter suggestion?

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I think keep going with the story as written. A corner is just a challenge to write yourself out of.

Plus like I mentioned before, there are limits to sanzai and you've kept that going with Ben's abilities; both Loroi and human have to be receptive, for example.
Snoofman wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:19 pm
wolf329 wrote:
That does seem like a problem in some story and world building. There seem to be inevitable inconsistencies. Any further insight or suggestions?
Understand how a character would react to the news of a flaw in their plan, and then apply their arrogance to dismissing it as trivial. We've already seen that Eternal Endurance is a farseer with staggering powers; her being overconfident in her abilities is a reasonable plot device.
#1 Tempo simp

Urist

Post by Urist »

Also, re-reading the "Project First Son is Revealed" bit, as far as I can tell the number of people who actually *know* about it and what Greywind can now do is still less than ~1,000 people. Keeping them from telling the secret would be *difficult,* but not impossible given that almost all of them already live on a secluded island.

Essentially, if you want to try going in this direction, you can absolutely just have a few paragraphs noting that the Mizol are working overtime to keep people from letting the secret out. Especially given that Greywind *was* a Mizol, she could quite plausibly have a plan to keep the secret from getting out at least for a few months or even a few years. That's enough (I think) for plot to happen *without* having to rewrite the Reveal scene.

Gives plenty of opportunities for drama as some loroi find themselves essentially 'stuck' on the island (Fertile Spring might not complain too much), maybe a mizol or two get a bit too heavy-handed with telling people to keep quiet, or some of the human staff have to be convinced of the importance of secrecy. Depends on how much you'd want to cover, but writing a "government coverup" from the perspective *of* said government's officials sounds like a bit of fun writing.

(Just my two cents).
Barrai Arrir

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Incoming message from the Tech Level 16 Spatial Temporal Regulatory Commission:

Due to undesirable events leading up to the present, the Tech Level 16 Spatial Temporal Regulatory Commission has ordered an existential reset. Immediate changes shall be noticed by outside observers to the following events classified as:

End of Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX

Changes will go unnoticed to inhabitants of the Local Bubble. All outside observers, carry on with observational duties. That is all.

Additional notice: Party at Well of Souls to celebrate the Local Bubble’s twentieth rotation around Galactic Center. Be there!

Visitors from Tech Level 14 Civilizations or under will be denied admission.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Reminder: as I stated in my previous post, so as to not create confusion, I have changed the end of chapter 16 as well as chapters 17 to 19. The original version of the chapters have been saved just in case. But I think this makes for a better story. Though only you the reader can decide if you like it. I predict three or four more chapters. After that I might be taking a break from writing for one, two or three months. Got some things to catch up on, like Netflix and recently purchased video games that I have not yet touched. But rest assured I will return with more for the Endurance series.

BTW... the title of the story will be mentioned again soon enough. Thanks again for reading.

XX - Preparations and Partings

=== (+) ===

After finishing the convention, all members of the Diadem were forced to sign legally binding documents, reaffirming their oaths to secrecy as well as their commitments to upholding and enforcing the agreed upon policies of the Diadem Convention. Once again the provisional Councilors approved Greywind’s interior cabinet the right to command the armed forces.

A formal ceremony was hosted at the Capital Complex in which Greywind transferred command of Cry of the Wind to Lodestone, granting the Chief of Staff the judicial, legislative and executive rights in the Emperor’s absence. The two cousins wished each other good fortune for the trials ahead. It felt odd to be separated after working together for so long. But Greywind had faith Lodestone would manage their affairs well.

In addition, Greywind chose five Diaderets to remain with her at the Imperial Seat. Monsoon’s talents in civilian matters and her genuine sympathy for the civilians’ strife would be useful in appealing to the public. Something that she and Brightsword had seen eye to eye on lately. Silversea was chosen for her economic talents as well as navigating financial networks. Spirit of Fire was ideal because of her logistical and strategic capabilities. She would be instrumental in maintaining interstellar communication with those involved in the upcoming invasion of Terran space. On that note, Peridot had been chosen to concoct and implement a doctrine for the eventual treatment of subjugated humans. As opposed as Peridot was to the proposal of war, there was no choice but to accept fate and make the best of an undesirable situation.

Greywind had not officially made clear whom she would choose to govern the soon-to-be-conquered Terran territories. The Suns eagerly volunteered to govern the humans on the Emperor’s behalf. Even proposing that the number of Council seats be eventually expanded so that new Diaderets could rule the Terran territories efficiently. A proposal that gave many other members of the Diadem cause for concern. To which Greywind tactfully promised to consider it.

The Yellow Suns were granted logistical and financial rights by the Emperor to prepare for the upcoming invasion. They would continue to update Spirit of Fire on their progress. They would investigate possible avenues of attack from the Periphery Lane as well as the Tithric Sector.

Saline had put forth the suggestion that an avenue of attack should be considered from the Dinnan Sector. Greywind countered that all of Dinnan’s talents had to be invested in improving the anti-spinward frontier’s infrastructure as well as plans for new exploration once the Terran Raiders were completely cleared out of the Great Wastelands.

Additionally Greywind was reluctant to pour more aid into the Dinnan Sector for the time being. There were reports of axis factions starting to take root throughout the Dinnan Sector, along with investigations into the possibility that Bluecrest’s former supporters had fled into the anti-spinward frontiers. A lot of anti-imperial sentiment was brewing on Dinnan’s worlds. While Saline and every Diaderet confirmed their obedience to the central authority and denied any involvement in aiding criminal elements, it was possible for conspiracies to flourish silently without their knowledge. Greywind trusted the Intelligence Community to continue their investigations into the matter.

Since Greywind was about to spend a considerable amount of time on Deinar, she decided to make her dwelling at West Ginazeigo Isle. At least for the time being. The staff were pleasantly shocked at this sudden change in plans. The children were thrilled that their sire and warden was staying longer with them. Especially Ben. New security parameters would have to be put in place as well as setting up a private station for the Emperor to remotely conduct her work.

Now the Emperor was in her personal chambers at the creche with her secretary.

The sudden change of plans came as a shock to Tempo as well. The Emperor’s personal Mizol and confidant had been busy all day reorganizing Greywind’s schedule.

>Your possessions have been transferred from the mobile capital down to Toridas, Azerein,< sent Tempo, reviewing the details on her holographic monitor. >And will arrive by tomorrow as soon as security completes inspections. I have also confirmed your appointment with the Viscounts of Toridas in three standard days.< Tempo rubbed her forehead tiredly.

>What’s wrong, Tempo?< Greywind noticed Tempo’s exhaustion and depressed mood.

>You ought not concern yourself on my behalf, Azerein.<

>Tempo, you are good. But don’t try being tactful with me. I can see something is bothering you.<

Tempo sighed, temporarily shutting down her monitor. >This sudden change as well as officially making plans for war has left me shaken. Disturbed even.<

>You do not approve?<

Tempo hesitated.

>I am not trying to trick you, Tempo. I need you to be forthcoming with me.<

Tempo explained, >When you explained to me your decision to prepare for war with the Terrans, I was conflicted. I am conflicted about it now.<

>So am I, Tempo. But can you think of any better solution?< It was not meant to demean or belittle. Greywind wanted her confidant’s opinion.

Tempo cast her gaze down thoughtfully. >None that I can imagine.<

>Where there is great power, error also is great,< Greywind pointed out. >The greater that power grows, the greater its capacity to do harm. But great compassion can also be cultivated there. That’s why we Loroi need laws to protect what we love. That’s why we need one authority. And that authority must be in Deinar. When the war begins, there will be losses. There will be tragedies. When we overthrow the Confederacy and assume control of Terran space, some humans will rebel. Those humans will do everything in their power to draw support to themselves, by painting us as the malignant aggressors. Which is why we must invest our talents into proving them wrong. We will give the humans what their sub-governments failed to give. We will flood humanity with our gifts. So who then would want to rebel against that?<

Tempo let go of her tact and disclosed, >The Protector of the Garden.<

Greywind was not expecting that answer. But knew her subordinate was correct. >Yes. I suppose Alexander Jardin will do everything in his power to stop us.<

>But, Azerein, do you really think Alex and the defectors are hiding in Terran space?<

>Where else could they go? The only refuge he could find in the Union is with criminals. Enzin may be a traitor, but I doubt he would tarnish his honor with criminals.<

>But if they are indeed hiding in Terran space, Azerein, they are no doubt aiding the Terrans to counter us.<

>That does seem a safe bet, Tempo.<

>So if we invade-< Tempo stopped that line of thought.

Greywind caught on. >You seem reluctant to disclose what you fear. Be honest.<

Tempo sent sadly, >Since it seems war is inevitable now, we will no doubt have to fight Enzin and the defectors. Though Enzin is a traitor, the thought of being forced to fight him… it saddens me.<

>I can see now as I saw then your fondness of Enzin. You’d be amazed how the changing times turned many of my former friends into enemies.<

>That’s what I’m afraid of,< Tempo admitted. >Even if we conquer the Terrans, Enzin and his defectors will never tolerate our rule. They will fight us to the bitter end.<

>Well then, Tempo, we seem to have a serious dilemma. What seems to be the most logical course of action?<

Tempo thought it over. She wrestled with it. Tried to find another way. But her strategical way of thinking brought her back to the same conclusion. A confusion she did not want to face.

>You sympathize with them,< Greywind observed.

Tempo could not hide it. >Azerein, is there really no other way?<

>Alexander Jardin and the defectors made it clear when they fled that we are their enemies. They will do everything in their power to hurt our plans. Every war has its casualties. But any resistance from the Terran side only makes it worse.< Greywind rose from her seat. >You are one of my most reliable agents, Tempo. A true friend. You will not remain my secretary forever.< The Emperor became vulnerable with Tempo, >You’ve served me well as secretary and my personal ambassador. Now I want you to ascend the ranks and serve as a commander.<

>I am flattered that you think so highly of me, Azerein. I don’t deny my wishes to be a productive leader one day. But I’m not sure if I am qualified yet.<

>That’s why I want to enroll you at the Torrai Academy, Tempo. I will alleviate some of your responsibilities so that you can focus on becoming a commander. Once the invasion is complete and we have secured our hold on Earth, I will send you to Earth to act as Torrai Rizeladi Tempo.<

Tempo was shocked at the revelation. >Me?! Governor of Earth?! But I thought you preferred Diaderet Peridot to govern that system!<

>I intend Peridot to rule the human territories along with one or two more Councilors. But they need strong and competent commanders to support them. It would serve our plans well if you were one of them. This will be especially crucial to serve as counterbalance to the Yellow Suns. I have pacified them with the promise that I will consider choosing one of their members to govern the Terran territories. But I cannot trust the Suns to rule humanity. Clan Yellow Sun is an excellent fighting force, but too brutal.

>The humans with the potential to be benefactors of the Union deserve to be lead by someone who understands them. Who will defend their dignity without diminishing Loroi sovereignty. But human resistance will only make it harder to make it happen. Enzin and his defectors will never allow it to happen. Do you know what that means?<

Tempo was speechless and conflicted. The proposition of advancing her own career seemed very attractive. To be Governor of Earth was daunting, but a promising chance to fulfill her dreams of becoming a successful leader. Under the circumstances, Tempo was the ideal choice to appeal to the Terran public, dissuade them from resisting and persuade their officials to accept Loroi sovereignty. But to secure the Union’s and Diadem’s interests, all human resistance had to be cleared out. And that included Alexander Jardin and his Loroi defectors.

>I understand then what we have to do,< Tempo acknowledged. >But the thought of it hurts.<

Greywind walked up to Tempo, placing her hands on her subordinate’s shoulders. >We Perreinids have always been labelled as manipulative and seductive. But Deinarids and Tabenids will never understand the personal sacrifices Perreinids like us made so that they could rest easy. We are the true peacekeepers, Tempo. You must overcome this inner turmoil and steel yourself for our purpose ahead. Neither of us can betray our duties.<

Despite her inner conflict, Tempo obliged, >Yes, Azerein.<

>Go rest awhile. You will be summoned later.<

Tempo was excused and left the Emperor’s personal chambers. Greywind sighed as Tempo left her detectable range. Being a leader was never easy.

=== (+) ===

Evening approached. Deinar’s rings became more visible as the sun sank below the horizon. The stars slowly came into the visible spectrum. Upon receiving word that Cry of the Wind was preparing for departure, Greywind assembled the residents of the creche outside. Every adult and child stood at the edge of the gardens, switching their attention from personal conversation to the blackening canopy above.

“There! The Mobile Capital fleet approaches,” Listel Sazset Cotton pointed up.

All eyes looked north. There, traveling from north to south, were sixty-four stars synchronized in the form of an arrowhead. It marveled the humans more than the Loroi how such celestial bodies could move in perfect formation.

The Emperor gazed up as those orbiting lights passed over them. “Beat your hearts,” she announced to the assembled spectators.

Greywind tapped her chest.

Thump! Thump!

Thump! Thump!

Slowly the children and adults joined in, clapping fists against their breasts.

Together they chanted, “Cry of the Wind!”

Thump! Thump!

“Cry of the Wind!”

Thump! Thump!

“Cry of the Wind!”

Thump! Thump!

The inhabitants of West Ginazeigo Isle were joined in chorus as they saluted the mobile capital’s departure. Greywind did not tear her eyes away even as the First Imperial Division approached the southward sky and vanished from sight. Even when the rest of the inhabitants of the island retired to the mansion, the Emperor did not leave her spot. Attendant Link stood faithfully by the Emperor’s side.

>It’s gone,< sent Greywind. >That ship has been my wandering home since the Maiad Campaign. And now it’s gone.<

>Separation seems a painful thing, my emperor,< Link consoled. >Now we make here our dwelling.<

>You may retire, Attendant. I just want to be alone for a while.<

Link bowed and left for the mansion.

As futile as it seemed, Greywind sent out her best wishes, >May the stars carry you back to me, Cry of the Wind. You housed me in your womb. I will house you in my fondest memories.<

The old emperor shed a single tear.
Last edited by Snoofman on Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Reminder... again: Chapters 17 to 19 were changed, as was ending of chapter 16. Anyway, I am amazed how quickly I cranked this one out. I hope you enjoy!

XXI - A Chorus of Stars

=== (+) ===

If there was one other benefit for Greywind to remain on Deinar, it might hasten Project First Son’s progress. Which is why Greywind was now in the subterranean lab along with the assembled Listels, Farseer, Tempo and Cotton upon the latter’s request. Cotton had a new theory as to how to bypass the human lotai.

>Preposterous,< Jade scoffed at Cotton’s suggestion.

>It doesn’t hurt if we try,< Cotton insisted.

>Sazset, with all due respect, you must realize that prayer is an action built around superstition,< Pure Sand insisted.

>Please listen to me,< Cotton begged. >I know how insane this sounds. But consider the Emperor’s latest vision of the human female painted in blue. Her call out to a deity called Belenus.<

>We still can’t be sure if the visions can trusted anymore than Loroi’s ancestral vision,< Jade argued.

>Whether or not the visions are true, I believe they are clues,< sent Cotton. >I am also beginning to wonder if perhaps these visions may actually not be Ben’s memories at all.<

>What do you mean, Cotton?< sent Greywind.

>Azerein, since you only seem to witness these visions, and Ben seems to have no recollection of them,< Cotton explained, >I am beginning to wonder if perhaps they are yours.<

>How is that even possible? I am not human.<

>No, Azerein. But our ancestors might have seen humans in the dreamscape.<

The scientists voiced incredulous outrage:

>Absurd!<

>Ridiculous!<

Slipstream begged them to silence, >Comrades, please. Let us hear what the Sazset has to say.<

Cotton explained, >My hypothesis is perhaps the ancient Loroi could communicate with the ancient humans. Not consciously. But subconsciously. If it were true, then the visions our Emperor is seeing are in fact the memories of ancient Loroi who observed humans. Since Ben and Dawn seem only receptive to the Loroi when they sleep, it would make sense.<

>Even if it were true,< Jade countered, >why didn’t the ancients share these stories with others?<

>Maybe they didn’t understand them,< Cotton replied. >Dreaming seems like an illusive place of mind, even for Loroi. One cannot be always certain what one sees in a dream is true. Maybe the ancients subconsciously contacting humans did not understand what they were observing. Can you deny the remarkable similarity that a few of humanity's own mythological figures seem to share with Loroi? If so, humans could have mistaken the Loroi they contacted as gods or mystical spirits.

>Consider this: it is a scientific fact that the human subconscious mind is millions of times more powerful than the conscious mind. When humans sleep, their dreams become rampantly chaotic. Seemingly nonsensical. But maybe we have been interpreting human dreams the wrong way. According to additional research, humanity’s ancient ancestors are believed to have developed larger brains because of sleeping. Maybe human dreaming also played a role in improving their cognitive functions. Maybe the seemingly chaos of a human dream is necessary for creating new possibilities within the human psyche.

>Humans seem to correlate their creativity with dreaming. What if this is the reason why Ben and Dawn seem so receptive to Greywind and Twoface?What if the human subconscious is not merely mimicking Loroi’s sanzai? But essentially trying to create its own sanzai-like ability?<

The idea intrigued and disturbed the assembled Loroi.

>What does that have to do with prayer?< Greywind asked.

Cotton explained, >In spite of its superstitious origins, humans seem to have regarded prayer as both an act of vulnerability and communication with supernatural beings. Coincidently, our own studies confirm that the act of prayer seems to activate areas of the human brain that seem to resemble the areas of Loroi brains responsible for sanzai.<

>But we already observed this similarity,< Hope pointed out. >We tried recreating desirable brain patterns with deep brain stimulation and it still did not work.<

>That’s the problem,< sent Cotton. >Physical instrumentality merely simulates the conditions. But it’s not enough. I believe we must create a specific scenario in Ben’s dreaming state that will make him vulnerable while outreaching at the same time with sanzai. To pray to someone.<

“Brilliant… not,” Jade scoffed. >And who is he going to pray to then? The non-existent God deity that he doesn’t even believe in?<

Cotton rolled her eyes. >Not that. I mean someone that he wants to speak to more than anyone. Someone real. Someone he seems bound to.<

>What about his mother?< Tempo suggested.

All eyes fell on the Sentinel.

>If Sazset Cotton’s hypothesis is correct,< sent Tempo, >Ben needs something to focus on. Something he desires. Something that instills a powerful surge of emotion.<

>Actually, perhaps… yes,< sent Pure Sand. >Some philosophers believe that a powerful surge of emotion is what triggers psychic powers. Loroi seem more often to become unsheathed when exposed to extreme traumatic scenarios.<

>Of course,< Slipstream commented. >Powerful feelings like love, hate, rage or joy may be the spark that ignites the flame. If that were true, then the extreme joy that Twoface and Dawn experienced at the Greensea hospital may have been the catalyst of that event.<

Cotton was pleased her colleagues were finally catching on. >Exactly, my colleagues! And it is that spark that I want to recreate in Ben’s mind. If we can somehow make the right conditions in the dreamscape.<

>I still think this is nonsense,< Jade insisted.

>Azerein?< sent Cotton.

Greywind looked to the medical bed in the next room where Ben slept. >Worse case scenario, we add it to the list of ineffective methods,< she sent. >Best outcome, we are one step closer to our goal.< She proceeded into the next room. >Try it!<

=== (+) ===

Ben felt like he was choking. He couldn’t breathe. A pressure clamped around his neck. His body stung as if being zapped by a cattle prod. Above him hovered a column of living fire. It reeked like burning brass, piercing its confines to attack him.

“No!” Ben cried. “Get away! Get away from me!”

The fire solidified into molten metal. Its hot entrails dripped, burning its victim below.

“No! Get off me! Someone help! Anybody!”

>Ben!<

With just a thought, the blob of molten brass was swept away. Grey had come to his rescue.

>Are you alright?< Grey knelt down beside him.

Ben heaved, his heart pounding. But relieved that a friend had come for him. “I’m okay. Thanks.”

Grey threw his arms around him, and he her. >What was that terrible thing?<

“I don’t know. But I felt like I recognized it.”

>Recognized it how?<

“I… I don’t entirely know myself,” Ben admitted. Realizing they were in a dream together, it was difficult to completely form coherent thoughts. “I’m just glad you’re here with me, Grey.”

>Ben,< Grey sent, resting her forehead against his. >Precious Ben.<

They basked together in each other’s presence. Grey welcomed whatever dreams came as long as Ben was in them. The Loroi took the opportunity to observe their surroundings. All around was nothing but a bleak, mountainless terrain of gray under a black canopy.

>I wonder what this dreamscape is supposed to represent,< Grey wondered.

Ben picked it up. “I think we’re on Luna.”

>Luna?<

“Earth’s moon.”

>But how do you know?<

Ben pointed up. “Well, uh, I’m pretty sure that’s Earth right there.”

Grey looked up over the horizon at a waning celestial body of blue, green and white. >It’s beautiful.<

“Yeah. It is. I want to see it one day.”

>But you can see it now, can’t you?<

“This is just a dream, Grey,” Ben could not hide his disappointment. “It’s not the same thing. I want to go that amazing planet and see everything on it. But I can’t.”

>Why not, Ben?<

“My family. My friends. I’d be leaving them behind.”

>Grey,< the voice from beyond instructed. >Ask him to search for her.<

Grey grumbled, >I really don’t want to.<

>If you want to get closer to him, you must.<

Grey groaned and sent to Ben, >Don’t you want something else? Something more important than Earth?<

“Like what?” Ben asked.

>Like Lagertha.<

Ben silently contemplated it. “I feel like I hate her now.”

Grey smirked, partially satisfied.

“But at the same time,” Ben continued, “I can’t help but wonder… does she even think of me?”

>Maybe you’d like to find out,< Grey suggested.

“I’d like to,” Ben admitted. “But I don’t know how.”

>What if you prayed?<

“Prayed?” Ben laughed. “I.. heh… don’t really believe in prayer.”

Grey sent exactly as the voice instructed her, >Well, Ben… in the dreamscape we can do anything. Make anything. Prayer seems like a good way for humans to reach out. What do you have to lose if you just try?<

“I…” Ben shrugged. “I guess it wouldn’t hurt.”

>Then let’s try together.<

So together they prayed. They reached out into the infinite of the dreamscape, calling to Lagertha.

“Mom,” Ben prayed, “I don’t know if you can really hear this. But if you do… I hate you. I hate you for leaving me. I hate you for giving me away. But… I don’t want to hate you. I want to believe you still love me. Even after the terrible thing you did to me, I want to believe you never meant to give me up. If you can hear me… please… I’d be willing to give you one more chance. Mom?”

Ben looked out. There was nothing but Grey with him.

He sighed hopelessly. “See? Told you would’t work.”

=== (+) ===

>I told you it would not work,< sent Jade.

>Jade, try to be optimistic,< sent Hope.

>Optimism can not change the laws of science.<

>Quiet,< sent Cotton. >Don’t disturb the subjects.<

From the observatory room they watched Tempo guide Greywind through the dreamscape. Despite their efforts, there still seemed to be no significant change.

Tempo decided to make an adjustment.

=== (+) ===

>Try to get Ben back into that vulnerable state of being as you did last time,< the voice instructed Grey.

Grey sent to Ben, >Try entering your zen mode.<

Ben laughed. “Dude, did you just really say ‘zen mode’?”

>Just try it.<

Ben did as instructed. Slowly the surface of Luna faded away, as did the Earth and the Sun. Grey’s form become barely distinguishable as the column of smoke and cinders materialized close by.

Ben cowered, wanting to move away, but felt paralyzed. “Grey, I’m scared.”

>Don’t be afraid,< Grey and the pillar of smoky cinders sent. >I’m right here.<

Once again Ben felt like he was in that weird state when one is neither fully awake nor asleep. Once again the specters surrounded him.

>Rise!<

=== (+) ===

>Rise!< Tempo sent, her crimson eyes aglow. Removing her cap and electrodes, Tempo brought Greywind into a hypnogogic state, compelling the Emperor to slowly rise to her feet.

>Tempo!< Cotton warned. >What are you doing?!<

>Don’t distract me!< Tempo sent. >Just trust my actions!< She guided the Emperor toward Ben.

=== (+) ===

The pillar of smoky cinders came closer to Ben.

>Don’t be afraid, Ben,< it sent.

Ben was afraid. But not as terrified as he was in his first encounter with this strange ghost.

>Don’t be afraid,< the bright embers of its essence flared with each sending.

That’s when Ben realized it was sending. It was sending as if it had…

“Telepathy? Are you telepathic?” Ben asked the ghost.

>I am,< it sent back.

“What do you want from me?”

>I want you… I want you… I want you to pray… pray to Lagertha… reach out… reach out to your mother…<

And so Ben prayed. He prayed with his words. He prayed in his mind. He prayed in his heart.

>Think back, Ben,< the ghost instructed. >Think back on your memories of Lagertha. Think of the love you shared.<

Ben thought of their tender moments in their shack at Grind.

>Think of the joy she brought you.<

Ben remembered his mother giving him his Superman doll.

>Think of the hate you feel now.<

Ben reflected on the hatred he did feel for the woman who gave him away. The one woman who was supposed to take care of him.

>Think of how that terrible memory makes you feel.<

Ben felt rage burn in his heart for being abandoned. And for what? A box of gold? Funny how a mere child could remember that.

>Now think about those feelings: the love, the hate, the joy, the rage.<

Ben did think about them. He thought about them long and hard. And they got stronger.

>Let those feelings grow.<

And grew they did. A thunderstorm of emotions clashed in his brain until Ben felt like he would burst. All the while these feelings grew, he thought about his mother.

Ben prayed, “Mom… if you’re out there… if you can hear me… answer me!” He wept, overwhelmed with emotions. “Mom… Mom… MOM!”

His emotions exploded into a supernova.

=== (+) ===

Ben screamed in his sleep, “Mom! Mom!”

His body shook, trembling with epileptic panic. Cotton was the first to rush into the room, trying to wake Ben.

>Don’t interrupt the procedure,< sent Tempo, focused on keeping Greywind in her hypnogogic state, still linked to Ben.

>But Ben could be suffering an injury,< Cotton urged.

>Let it run its course! Let us see what happens! I need to concentrate!<

=== (+) ===

The supernova expanded. Its hot plasma flooded Ben’s universe. His mind was awash with new thoughts. He saw amidst the hot clouds abstract concepts that conscious thought could never hope to grasp. In the heat of the moment, he had the most profound insights and panicked as he lost his grasp on them.

Soon the hot plasma cooled, condensing into countless stars shining in a void of lifeless black. The stars felt near and far. Untouchable yet just within reach.

Ben looked around himself in this strange new realm of thought. This void of living stars, humming and resonating in a universe of abstract laws.

“What is this?” Ben asked, intrigued yet worried. “What is this place?”

>Ben?<

The column of smoky cinders approached him, condensing into a recognizable form.

“Grey!” Ben reached out to her.

They collided, relieved to be reunited in each other’s embrace.

>Ben, I’m so glad you’re alright.<

“I’m glad you’re okay too,” Ben cried for joy.

Grey took in their new environment. >Where are we?<

“Another dimension?” Ben half-joked.

>You must take this seriously,< Grey scolded him.

“What do you think all these stars are?” Ben asked. “I feel like they’re… humming.”

>You mean like a vibration?<

“Yeah, that too. But I mean.. it feels like… they’re singing.”

Grey smirked. >Like a chorus of stars.<

“Yeah, there you go!”

>Maybe its essence.<

“Essence?”

>Yes. Every conscious creature projects its essence.<

“Huh,” said Ben. “How about that?”

>I wonder… did the prayer bring us here?<

“If it did, it’s a miracle.”

>Is that supposed to be a joke?<

“Maybe.”

>Ben, take this seriously.<

“Okay, chill!” Ben looked around. “I wonder if maybe we can move around in here.”

>We should be careful.<

“Okay, um,” Ben hummed as he inspected the stars. “Let’s try moving to… that one-”

Ben felt dark ether wash over him as a particular star he chose exploded into blinding light.

“Woah!”

>Ben, not so fast!< Grey cried as she was dragged along for the ride.

They were suddenly in the gardens of the creche. Except they weren’t standing in the gardens. It felt more as if they were watching through a narrow scope. A scope that bobbed and wavered uncontrollably. The scope turned until Praetorian Blizzard came into view.

>Blizzard?< Ben and Grey felt a voice ring in their heads. >Do you feel that?<

>Feel what, Azure?< Blizzard asked. Ben and Grey received also with clarity.

>I feel like someone’s here,< sent Azure.

“Is she… talking about us?” Ben asked Grey.

>I have no idea,< Grey admitted.

“Are we in Praetorian Azure’s head?” Ben decided to test that theory. “Hey, Praetorian, can you hear us?”

Azure turned, as if alerted. She began walking.

Blizzard stopped her. >Azure, where do you think you are going?<

>I… think I am being called,< sent Azure.

>Called?< Azure received Blizzard’s bafflement. Ben and Grey felt that confusion with clarity. >I have not heard any call.<

>It’s not a call that I heard,< sent Azure. >More like a compulsion.<

>Are you sure you feel well?<

“Azure, Blizzard, I’m in here,” Ben tried calling. “It’s me, Ben!”

>I think… I should go to Ben Teigorastir,< sent Azure.

Blizzard seemed very confused now. >What? Why?<

>I feel like he is calling me,< Azure replied.

>What are you talking about?! The human isn’t even here!<

Grey suddenly received a direct sending from the immaterial voice, >Pull him out, Grey. Pull Ben out!<

Grey did as instructed. Azure’s scope fell out of view as they were sucked back into Ben’s center.

“Well,” said Ben. “That was… weird. But extremely cool. Is that what telepathy is like? Let’s look at another one. Over… here!”

Grey cautioned, >Ben, wait!<

Once again they were sucked through the dark ether and entered the blaze of a new star.

Grey and Ben found themselves in a room, its walls and furnishings were looked incomplete. At one end they found boy, tugging on a man’s arm.

“No, Daddy,” the boy begged the man. “Don’t lock Mom out!” The man ignored his son’s pleas. Beyond the door Ben and Grey noticed a woman trying to get in.

>Strange how the female doesn’t try to just step through that partially crumbled wall,< Grey commented.

“I think… we’re actually in a dream,” said Ben.

The boy took notice of Ben and Grey. “Please, make Dad open the door! I want Mom!”

“Wait, Idaho?” Ben asked.

“Ben?” Idaho recognized him. “Help me let my mom in! Before I lose her!”

“Idaho, I’m sorry,” said Ben. “But your mom’s gone. She was killed in a raid years ago. Don’t you remember?”

“I-” Idaho seemed confused, but felt his authentic memories come to surface. “I remember now. My dad… that asshole sent my mom to die in a stupid raid. Then the Loroi found us. I hate him. I hate my father. I hate all the pirates. I never want to be one of them!”

“Idaho, it’s okay,” Ben tried to comfort him. “It’s just a dream. You don’t have to worry.”

“I want my mom,” Idaho cried.

Ben touched his shoulder. “Yeah… I feel you on that one.”

“Ben, I-”

Ben never got the full of Idaho’s sentence as he was dragged out again by Grey.

“Hey,” Ben cried as he was thrust back into his center. “You got to stop doing that! Idaho was in trouble!”

>Sorry, Ben. But I think we should stop.<

“But… if this is real… and I’m looking other people’s-” Ben’s eyes shot wide with epiphany. “I could find my mom this way!”

>No, Ben wait!<

Ben ignored her and chose another star.

They entered a surreal dwelling inhabited by Bean.

“Oh, hey, Ben,” Bean said, admiring her anatomy in a mirror.

Grey and Ben were mortified to see Bean’s ribcage disturbingly visible, as if the skin had been peeled away.

>What’s wrong with your body?< Grey sent horrified.

“Good, question, elf girl,” said Bean. “I’m pretty sure my insides are hollow.”

>What a strange one,< sent Grey. >Ben, let’s get out of here.<

“Hey, wait!” Bean called after them. “Don’t you want to help me find my heart?”

>Ben, please let’s stop and think about this rationally,< Grey urged, returning Ben to his center.

“No!” Ben refused. “My mom is here somewhere! I know it! If I just keep looking-”

He reached for another star. Grey struggled to restrain him. They intruded on Judith’s dream, falling into a dark pit, crying for her God. They trespassed on Noah’s dream, in which he saw the world as a living illustration of cartoon characters, like the ones from his children’s books. They entered Ashrain’s psyche, who dreamt of battles at the Charred Steppes, watching in pure devastation as Tsunami exploded into a white star. They entered the scope of Housemaster Crescent, who apparently was very awake and secretly enjoying a spice pipe. They entered the viewing scope of a complete stranger working a night shift in a factory of sorts, surrounded by hundreds of Guild workers. They intruded on an intimate moment between a Loroi male and the female he was bedding, much to Ben's and Grey's embarrassment.

>Ben, stop!< Grey tried to hold him in his center.

He refused, “No! Mom is here somewhere! I just got to look some more!”

Ben and Grey were thrust into a new zone. They found themselves in a dark place. The world around felt solid yet lucidly surreal.

“Now where are we?” Ben asked.

The dark place suddenly assumed more stable form. The darkness cleared up a bit, materializing into a dimly lit room. Once again Ben and Grey were trapped within the scope of someone else’s vision. The world spun around from side to side. What the two observers could make out through the chaotic motion were immobile forms lying all around.

“Am I hallucinating?” Ben asked. “Or am I seeing a bunch of sleeping children everywhere?”

>I think your assessment seems accurate,< sent Grey.

“Hey,” Ben called out to whoever’s realm they just intruded upon. “Hey, can you hear us?”

Ben could not explain, but he could feel cold cotton pressing into finger tips. But they were not his finger tips. He felt a chill in the air, but the chill was not stinging his skin.

Someone else suddenly called, “Rose.” The vision turned to see a man approaching. “Why are you awake?”

>Another human,< Grey commented. >I wonder who that is. Or what this place is.<

“Wait,” said Ben. “I think… I’m pretty sure I know that guy.”

>You know that human?<

Ben certainly did. He was taller. Older now. But he recognized that dark skin and young face. The same that belonged to a friend from his youth.

“It’s Spence,” said Ben. “I haven’t seen him since he… he got kidnapped along with me and all those other kids when I was just five.” Ben tried reaching out to him. “Spence, it’s me! It’s Ben! Spence!”

“Rose, why are you awake?” Spence asked, looking straight into the observer’s eyes.

Ben kept calling, “Spence!”

“S-Spence,” Rose said.

Spence asked, “Yeah, what? Well what? Rose, what’s wrong?”

“I…” Rose shook her head, so full of confusion. “I don’t know.”

“Look, you got to go back to bed,” said Spence. “You’re going to get in trouble if they catch you awake.”

>What is he talking about?< Grey could only partially understand.

“I don’t know,” said Ben. He kept trying to reach out, “Spence, tell me where you are? I’ll come and find you. Then we can go home together!”

“H-home,” Rose muttered.

“What?” Spence asked.

“Go… home,” said Rose, her voice very tired. Ben could not explain why, but he just knew she was so sad. “I… I want… go home.”

“Look, you’re gonna’ get in trouble if the Loroi catch you awake,” Spence pushed her back. “Just go back to bed, alright? You got to also think about that baby you’re carrying.”

“What baby?” Ben wondered. “What’s he talking about? And why would they get in trouble with Loroi? I don’t understand.”

>Neither do I, Ben,< Grey admitted.

“B-Ben,” Rose muttered.

Spence looked at her strangely. “What?”

“Ben,” Rose asked more than stated.

Spence just stared at her, his expression dumbstruck.

Ben suddenly felt Rose touch something. He felt fingers not his own register a round, warm protrusion. Was Rose touching her belly? Ben could have sworn he felt something nudge against-

Ben was tugged back to his center. “No wait! Not yet! Spence! Rose, whoever you are! Come back! Tell me where you are! Grey, please, we need to go back for them!”

But Grey did not answer. Her form dissolved back into a column of smoky cinders. The ghosts of Ben’s dreams returned. The stars stopped humming, one by one twinkling out of existence. Ben wanted more than anything to find his childhood friend. To rescue him. To save both of them.

“No! Please,” Ben begged. “Spence! Spence!”

=== (+) ===

Ben shot up from the medical bed, shouting, “Spence!”

“Ben, calm down!” Cotton was by his side, her hands on his shoulders. Her cool fingers stroked his cheek. “It’s alright. You’re awake now.”

“Spence, I-” Ben panted, at a loss for words. “I saw my friend. I saw. I saw…” Ben continued to gasp for air, trying to make sense of what he just felt and saw. As coherent thought returned to him, Ben tried assuring himself it was all just a dream. But it felt lucid. More than lucid. It seemed so incredibly real. But how could that be true? Dreams were not real. Were they?

Ben kept breathing heavily, finally taking notice of the Loroi surrounding him.

“Emperor?” Ben found his warden standing by his bed. “W-what are you doing here?“

Greywind stared. She stared unblinkingly at Ben. All the Loroi stared as if they had stumbled upon something devastatingly wondrous.

The old emperor turned her gaze to the Loroi. Ben could see from their gestures that they were in silent exchange. Their serious expressions and occasional jerks suggest they were in some sort of argument. But what about? The thirteen-year old was forced to sit and wait for what felt like several minutes until the rest of the Loroi moved into the next room, leaving Greywind and Ben alone.

Greywind finally returned her focus back to her ward. “Ben,” she said, resting a hand on his shoulder. “Sit up. Face me.”

Ben swung his legs over the medical bed, facing his warden.

Greywind took a deep breath, exhaling slowly as she cupped Ben’s face in her palms and said, “Ben, I have to tell you something now.”

“I-I don’t understand,” said Ben. “Tell me what?”

“A secret. A great secret that you must promise to keep. Your life and your safety, and that of your family here, depend on it.”

Urist

Post by Urist »

I must say, I *do* like this version better.

Also, Ashrain needs a hug. Also maybe an AA meeting.
Barrai Arrir

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

XXII - The Terrible Truth

=== (+) ===

>Remote viewing!< Hope sent excitedly in the observatory room. >The human actually achieved remote viewing!<

>Let us not make conclusions so hastily,< Jade warned.

>Don’t you realize what we have stumbled upon?!< sent Hope. >Together they received sensory information from subjects outside of normal detectable range! Not even our own farseers possess such talents. At best farseers can distinguish an alien presence from a Loroi’s at interstellar distances. Seers can sense the emotional mood of populaces at long distance. But this is something completely new!<

>The applications of such a talent seem to be many,< Pure Sand added with enthusiasm. >Not only that, we finally found a way past the human lotai.<

Hope fretted, >But will we be able to recreate the conditions to activate it?<

>Maybe we don’t have to worry about that,< sent Pure Sand. >The change in Ben’s psyche could be permanent.<

>Sazset, what do you think?< Hope asked Cotton.

Cotton was too focused on watching Greywind speak alone with Ben in the examination room. The assembled Loroi could see her usually soft, cheerful essence getting damp with worry.

>Sazset,< Hope asked again, >do you have any comment?<

>Please leave me alone,< sent Cotton, clearly annoyed. Concerns for Ben were interlaced in her sending.

Hope turned instead to Tempo, >Torimor, will Ben’s and the Emperor’s joint talent be put to use?<

>That depends on the Emperor,< Tempo. >It also depends on convincing Ben to cooperate.<

>But he already is cooperative,< sent Hope.

>He seems shaken by this discovery,< Tempo pointed out.

The Loroi continued their discussion while Cotton just watched Ben soak up Greywind’s explanation. She hugged her chest as her eidetic memory looked for recognizable human expressions. She saw shock, surprise, anxiety, confusion and, the one that worried her the most, fear.

Ben looked truly afraid. Cotton knew Ben was strong, but he was still a child. She recalled from her research into human psychology that human youth exposed to overwhelming news could suffer devastating trauma.

Ben hopped off the medical bed to lean against the wall. Greywind felt compelled to put a comforting hand on his shoulder, but refrained. He needed space to process this.

Ben fumbled for words, “So you… all this time… Grey… that was you?”

“Grey was my spoken name during my youth, Ben,” Greywind answered. “What you see in the dreamscape is merely a projection of my younger self. Many Loroi dream most often about their youth.”

His eyes became bleary. “Is this… is this why you adopted me? Is it the only reason? Am I a laboratory creature?”

“No, Ben,” Greywind assured him. “You are nothing of the kind.”

Ben fought tears as he clutched his head, crumpling to the floor. Greywind rushed to him. He flinched at her touch, but she held him. Cotton made to enter but Greywind commanded her and the rest to wait outside.

“Ben, calm down,” Greywind urged him. “I understand this must be overwhelming for you. But there is nothing to fear.”

Ben wheezed as he fought against his weeps. “You kept this from me! You knew all along! You knew I had this… this thing! You knew about my mom! And you didn’t tell me!”

“I had to keep it secret, Ben! You were just a child! How could you have kept such a secret?!” Greywind held his cheek. “Ben, look at me. Look at me!”

Ben did as he was told.

“I kept this secret, yes. It was deceitful, but it was necessary. But you are still my son. And I love you. That I have never lied about.”

Ben could not hold back anymore as he broke down into tears. Greywind ensnared him in her arms, pressing his tear-stricken face to her chest.

=== (+) ===

After a long time of tears and overcoming the burden of the revelation, Greywind took Ben back to the surface and to his room. She needed to be alone with him in a place of familiarity and comfort. She needed him to believe that she cared.

They sat together on his bed as Ben wept the last of his tears. All the while she held him, stroked his back as he worked through these emotions. When he finally calmed down they sat a long while in content silence. Greywind would give him all the time he needed. The lectures from the human caregivers concerning patience and support had certainly come in handy.

Ben finally broke the silence, “Why?”

“Why? Ben, I don’t understand,” said Greywind.

“Why is this being done to me?”

“You mean the research into our secret bond?” Greywind received a nod as reply. “To learn how to bypass the human lotai.”

“But why? I need to know!”

Greywind sighed. “Ben… Loroi can more easily distinguish a benign sapient from a hostile one with sanzai. This helps us to make fair judgements in how we treat sapients as well as other Loroi. Humanity’s impenetrable lotai makes that more difficult. Hence why many Loroi seem so distrustful of humans. It is my hope that we might be able to use this talent to understand humans. To be able to more easily tell apart benevolent humans from malignant ones.”

Ben absorbed all of this as best he could. “So… it’s like… a form of spying on a human mind?”

“If that is what you prefer calling it, Ben.”

“Who else knows about it?”

Greywind explained everyone involved in Project First Son, including the recent additions of Twoface and Dawn.

“So Dawn and Twoface can do the same thing as we did?”

“Based on Twoface’s only delve into the dreamscape with Dawn, it would seem so.”

“But why haven’t you researched them then?”

“Dawn and Twoface’s ability seems similar but unique,” Greywind pointed out. “Unlike us, they seem able to broadcast their emotions onto others. It took a considerable amount of effort to conceal that event. I have been reluctant to try it again for reasons of safety. Namely theirs and yours.”

“But why? What do we need to be safe from?”

“Ben, you must understand that not all Loroi tolerate humans. For similar reasons Terrans have voiced their intolerance of those whose differences they fear. If other Loroi were to learn of this, it might place you and the children here in danger.”

“But I thought sanzai was direct and truthful.”

“It is, Ben. But even Loroi can keep secrets while sending. It is simply considered dishonest if a Loroi does not omit what is on her mind.”

Ben dropped his gaze to the floor.

Greywind moved her hand to his shoulder. “First Son, I understand you must feel betrayed because I kept this from you.”

“But you also kept the truth about my mom!”

“Ben, you’ve known that your mother was involved with Terran Raiders since you were small.”

“But you didn’t say she-” Ben felt devastated. What child wanted to hear that their own mother was not only in league with one of the most dangerous criminals in the empire? Worse yet that Lagertha was abducting innocent children and selling them to Eternal Endurance, one of the Union’s most dangerous underworld criminals. The revelation was unbearable.

“There are still many uncertainties as to what we saw in the dreamscape, Ben,” said Greywind. “But if that human boy you saw was indeed your friend from childhood, then I have no doubt that the rest of the children we saw in that vision were abductees.”

“But she couldn’t,” Ben whimpered. “Mom couldn’t do that! That’s not… that’s just not who she is. I know sometimes she was rough, but she was good. She loved me.”

“I have no doubt she loved you, Ben. But you would be shocked if only you knew how many people are willing to do terrible things for the ones they love.”

Ben stood up, pacing on the floor. “Emperor… you said… I can see into other minds. Human and Loroi. Does that… make me a farseer?”

“It seems that way, Ben. But this is something completely new. No farseer has the mental precision to do what we just did. That is why I need your help.”

Ben stopped pacing to look at his warden. “You need my help?”

Greywind rose from the bed. “Yes, Ben. This talent we share could be used for good. Imagine if we could find out where those abducted children are.”

“You mean… we can rescue them?”

“Precisely, Ben.” Greywind knew she had him hooked. “There could be hundreds or even thousands of human abductees throughout the Union. We could save all of them. Is that not what you want?”

“O-of course I do,” Ben said earnestly. “Emperor, could this talent also help me find my mom?”

“Ben, you are aware of the crimes she has committed, no?”

“But she’s still my mom. Emperor, please! I understand what you’ve told me. I know it’s terrible. But she’s still my mom. I don’t know if I can forgive her… but maybe… maybe she didn’t want to abduct the children. Maybe Endurance is forcing her. Maybe Endurance is threatening to kill Spence, Stephen and all the other people from Grind if Lagertha refuses. I’m not excusing what my mom did but… isn’t it possible?”

“Possibly, Ben. But she is still an accomplice in serious crimes against the empire.”

“Emperor, please,” Ben begged. “If I help you, will you promise not to kill my mom? I just… I have to see her. I have to know. No matter what she’s done, she’s still my mom. Please?”

Greywind sighed. “Ben… I…” She looked into his pleading blue eyes. Those eyes that made her chest twinge. “I can make no guarantees. But if you help me, I promise… I will try to reunite you both. Lagertha must still answer for her crimes. But I will not harm her.”

Ben gazed hopefully up at his warden. “Really? You will?”

“How can I harm her knowing it would harm you? It is you I care about.”

Ben threw his arms around Greywind, crying for great relief. “Thank you, Emperor! I knew you were good! I’ll do anything you ask!”

Greywind guided Ben’s eyes up to meet hers. “Then promise me this: you must keep this secret. Your safety and that of every human on this creche depends on it. Swear it!”

“I swear on my honor,” Ben eagerly replied.

Greywind stroked his cheek. “Good boy.”

=== (+) ===

Tempo entered Ben’s room later that night. He was snoring away as Greywind sat by his side.

>If I had to guess, I’d say you succeeded in convincing him to cooperate,< sent Tempo.

>You’ve become quite bold with me over these past few tozons, Tempo,< Greywind remarked.

>Does that seem to bother you, Azerein?<

Greywind shrugged. >It’s acceptable as long as you do your job well.<

>So how did it go?< Tempo inquired.

Greywind left Ben’s room, leading Tempo to her favorite balcony at the edge of the gardens. There Greywind laid out the intense exchange between Ben and herself and her confidence that Ben was still under her control.

>That was a clever scheme to seduce Ben,< Tempo remarked.

>Ben is an affectionate creature,< sent Greywind. >He thrives on affection. As long as I give him that, he’ll be easy to control.<

>Azerein, I feel compelled to voice my concerns. We have just discovered that Ben possesses a new form of farsight.<

>Do not forget this is a joint talent,< Greywind pointed out. >Achieved only when we bond in the dreamscape.<

>But you and he have just achieved an ability once thought to be impossible. Not only that! It suggests that he has a subconscious sanzai, Azerein.<

>True. Though it can be argued that this exotic form of sanzai is enabled by a Loroi presence.<

>My point, Azerein, is that it is still a telepathic ability possessed by an alien. Together you and Ben can remotely observe through the psyche’s of other sapients. There are powerful individuals within and outside our Union who would feel threatened knowing that we possess such a capability. If word of this gets out, members of the Alien Assembly will make petitions for us to relinquish custody of the humans. Worse yet Loroi with hostile regards for humans will do everything in their power to either abduct or eliminate Ben and Dawn.<

>They will have to get through us first,< Greywind affirmed. >The island’s security detail will be increased to ensure Twoface’s and Dawn’s protection. And Ben will be safe by my side.<

>By your side?<

>I have been contemplating to make Ben my student.<

Tempo was shocked by the suggestion. >Your student?!<

>Ben is a righteous being,< sent Greywind. >He is driven by his decency, an urge to exhibit moral altruism.<

>A noble characteristic,< Tempo noted.

>But problematic. We Mizols have been forced to do what many sapients consider immoral. But it is for the greater good of the Union. I admire Ben’s morality, but he clings to it too fiercely. I need to broaden his understanding of the political and societal realms. I must tutor him to see the Union as I do. And how we must treat threats to its existence.<

>Are you sure it will not frighten him, Azerein? Do you remember Enzin Alexander Jardin’s reaction upon learning about the events of Seren?<

>All too well.<

>If Ben were to find out-<

>Ben and his peers have been educated about the horrors of Seren,< sent Greywind. >And every world we lost at the Charred Steppes to the Hierarchy.<

>They don’t know everything,< Tempo warned. She sighed, looking out over the dark ocean. >The way in which the Council handled Seren disgusts me. But under those circumstances, and as a Mizol, it was necessary. My point is that’s not how Enzin saw it. Nor Fireblade. Nor the defectors. Suppose Ben were to find out. What then?<

>That’s why I must tutor Teigorastir,< Greywind insisted. >To make him understand my reasoning. To teach him how empires function and flourish. And why one must be willing to take on the burden of terrible deeds to protect them. This will be crucial if I am to eventually convince him to aid us in overthrowing the Confederacy.<

Tempo absorbed all this with a mix of skepticism and interest. >Azerein, even if tutoring Ben works, the human residents here are likely to suspect something.<

>Leave that to me, Tempo. In the meantime, you do your job. And prepare for your studies at the Torrai Academy. You too will have to be a fast student. Before the invasion begins, we must make preemptive strikes to destabilize the Terrans’ defenses. I want you to be there at Earth to oversee this operation.<

>I understand, my Emperor.<

>One more thing.< Greywind offered her hand to Tempo. Tempo hesitated but took hold, intensifying the bond between them. >Mizol Torimor Tempo, do you agree that, if Enzin and the defectors are indeed hiding in Terran space, they will stand in our way?<

Tempo wrestled with her own conflicting emotions under the weight of Greywind’s scrutiny. Even if she wanted to defy her Emperor, Greywind’s mental authority was overwhelming. The Sentinel answered, >Yes, they will.<

>Then you agree that allowing them to live could drag on the war, leading to more unnecessary death and destruction?<

Tempo relented, >I do.<

>Then here is your second objective: confirm if the Protector of the Garden and his Loroi allies are hiding in Terran space. And, if you find them, eliminate them!<

Tempo did not want to. And Greywind knew it. All of Tempo’s doubts and hesitations were laid bare before the Emperor. The thought of being forced to kill Enzin and her former comrades, no matter their crimes, filled her with guilt. Even if they were contenders now, Tempo didn’t think they deserved to die. Not after Enzin saved Tempo’s life at the Steppes. Not after the role he played in securing an alliance with the former Terran Colonial Authority and turning the tide of the war.

Yet Tempo was loyally bound to Emperor Greywind. She was committed to upholding the Loroi Union. And sometimes upholding an empire meant making terrible sacrifices. Overcoming her own notions of personal shame and doubt, Tempo resolved that she would find a way to overcome this emotional block that would hinder her duty. She would find reasons as to why this awful deed she must carry out was for the greater benefit of the Union.

Taking in a deep breathe, Tempo exhaled her resolve, assuring the Emperor, >I will secure our control of Earth. And, if I can successfully find Enzin and his defectors, I will kill them. And if I find I am unable to carry out the deed myself, I will give that task to another I trust.<

>You are wise to acknowledge your own shortcomings, Tempo,< Greywind approved. >But not to worry. Perhaps one of my operatives like Livewire can help with that.<

>Livewire is brutal and reckless,< Tempo warned.

Greywind acknowledged, >But she has learnt from her mistakes and shaped up. Once she realizes I have personally put you in charge, she will fall in line. All the Operatives will. She is stealthy, tactical and quick. She has completed every one of her assignments. Her bloodlust seems disturbing, but it can be put to good use.<

>I understand, Azerein.<

Greywind released Tempo’s hand. >I trust you, Tempo. Do not fail me.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

One of my greatest challenges in writing, I think, has been writing dialogue. And not just dialogue. But compelling dialogue. In this chapter you will find segments which focus on dialogue and others more on third-person narration.

One more chapter after this. I hope you enjoy!

The Egg Song lyrics by Lewis and Lowe

Trigger warning: very very suggestive themes and brief description of sexual activity. But nothing graphic.

XXIII - Whiskey and Benevolence

=== (+) ===

Io was woken up by gentle nudge to her shoulder.

“Io, time to wake up,” said Calista.

Io sputtered her lips tiredly. “Aye… sill… weepy,” she said.

“But we have school today,” said Calista. “So come on now. We need to wash up.”

Io tugged on Calista’s arm before the caregiver went to help the rest of the children. Io struggled to pronounce a hard ‘c’, “C-C-Ca-eesah… w-when ke… I… have my… f-f-f-fo bah?”

Calista smiled. “You need to learn to talk without your phone.”

“Buh… I nee ih,” Io insisted.

“I promise you can use it during evenings like everyone else. But you need to learn to speak on your own. Okay?”

Io nodded sadly.

Calista placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Don’t be sad, Io. How about a nice breakfast? Then after lectures, we can take a hike to see some wild animals on the island?”

Io perked up upon hearing that. “Eely?”

The seven-year old hopped out of bed, following her peers to the bathing chamber. The elder children filed out to let their junior peers in. The bathing chamber was large but had to be shared in shifts. Io overheard her peers speaking to one another as she brushed her teeth and washed her face.

“Has anyone seen my hair grooming device?” Cadence asked.

“You mean… ‘comb?’” Kirk asked.

“Yes, cancer boat,” Cadence muttered.

“Children, be nice to one another,” Calista gently scolded. She lent Cadence one of her combs.

Cadence thanked her. “Miss Calista, this is a nice hair grooming device.”

“Dude, comb!” Kirk reminded Cadence. “It’s not that hard to say.”

“Keep scrubbing your face, Kirk,” Calista instructed.

“Yes, big boobs.”

“What?!”

Kirk hastily corrected, “Big boss! I mean big boss. Because you… are… big-” He cast his gaze down embarrassedly.

The rest of the children snickered at his poor choice of words. After washing, they proceeded to the dining hall. The children helped Calista in arranging the breakfast buffet on their table. Although breakfast was a foreign concept to most Loroi, some of the residents of the island had adopted this practice to encourage inclusiveness among humans and Loroi.

Ripley poured herself some Kix into a bowl of milk.

“How can you eat that?” Cadence asked, shivering with dread as she watched Ripley scoop a spoon full of processed puffs into her mouth.

“Because,” Ripley said slowly amidst her chews, “… it’s good… it’s crunchy… and it’s what I like.”

“I don’t know what’s worse,” said Cadence. “Eating animal milk. Or eating those sweet balls.”

“Cad, the milk is lab grown,” Luke pointed out, enjoying some bacon on misesa toast.

“Same thing, Luke.”

Luke shook his head. “Uh, no! It’s not.”

“I have heard that animal milk is actually very bad for human health,” said Cap, enjoying some nectar juice.

“Ha! Spoken like a true lactard,” Bean laughed as she strolled by the table.

“What up, Crazy?” Kirk offered Bean a high-five.

Bean slapped it with enthusiasm. “What up, foo? How are the blueberry pancakes?”

“Pancakes are good today,” Kirk said, taking a bite. “But, uh, we don’t have blueberries.”

“Oh, yes we do,” Bean countered. “They’re sitting all around us.”

“Bean,” Calista scolded. “We don’t call our Loroi friends ‘blueberries’.”

“Oh, I beg your pardon,” Bean apologized. “I meant bipedal smoky vanilla sticks.”

The human children laughed. Even Cap.

>Cap, that is not funny,< Cadence sent to her younger kin.

Cap smirked guiltily. >It is a little.<

Catching sight of Io, Bean sat down in front of the little girl and signed, ‘Hey, newcomer. How you enjoying life with the blue people?’

‘Pretty good,’ Io signed back. ‘I kind of miss the hobbits though.’

‘Yes, I think of them fondly myself from time to time,’ Bean exaggerated her sad look. ‘They are adorable.’

‘But awfully frisky,’ Io added.

Bean smirked. ’I like you, Io. You’re not like most seven-year olds. You seem very insightful.’

Io giggled. ‘I like you too, Bean. You’re funny.’

The humans and Loroi glanced curiously in the silent pair’s direction. It certainly amazed the residents that Bean of all people could understand some forms of sign language.

Io signed to Bean, ‘Hey, have you seen Ben?’

‘I heard some of the adults say that he left early this morning with Greywind,’ Bean signed back.

That surprised Io. She signed, ‘Really? Why?’

‘Not entirely sure,’ Bean signed her response. ‘But I heard the adults say something about Greywind wanting to take Ben on an educational tour.’

‘A what?’

‘You know. To teach him stuff about the world.’

‘Teach him what?’

Bean shrugged. ‘Don’t know.’

‘But when will Ben be back?’

Bean shrugged again. ‘Don’t know. Greywind usually only visits us once or twice a year. Now that she’s staying for longer, it’s hard to say. Could be a few days. Could be a few weeks.’ Bean noticed Io’s sad look. ‘Don’t worry, kid. I’ll keep you updated on Ben if I find anything.’

‘Thanks, Bean.’

‘Let’s meet at the gaming lounge tonight. I hear you’ve gotten good at Fleet Master.’

Io grinned smugly. ‘Yeah! But if you want to play against me, you’re going down!’

Bean smiled wickedly through clenched teeth. ‘It is on! Enjoy your breakfast. I’m going to bother someone else for a while.’

Io giggled. Bean offered her a two-fingered salute as she left to rejoin her class’ table. Alongside her peers, Bean began singing as she prepared her fried egg on toast:

“How do you like your eggs?
Do you like them funky?
I said how do you like your eggs?
I’ll cook some for ya’.
How do you like your eggs?
Check out my eggness.
I’m the guy who’s got your eggs.
I gonna’ cook ya’ breakfast.
I want to put you on toast.
I wanna’… di-i-i-i-p… my soldier in ya-a-a-a!”

“Bean!” Kassad raised his voice, slamming his milk glass on the table. “Stop. Singing.”

Bean humphed as she enjoyed her egg toast.

“Morning, friends,” Nyota said as she sat down. “Has anyone seen Ben? We’re supposed to be doing combat training today.”

“Oh, he gone,” Sarah said, taking a spoon of porridge.

“What do you mean he’s gone?”

“Uh, gone,” Idaho exaggerated. “When one is no longer present.”

Nyota rolled her eyes. “Thank you, Captain Obvious. But where has he gone?”

“Apparently Mama’s boy has left with Greywind,” Kassad muttered.

“So has Sister Judith,” Glad added.

Nyota was surprised. “What? Why?”

“According to the elders,” Garnet explained, “Greywind has chosen to tutor Ben.”

“Tutor?”

“It means to be taught privately,” said Idaho.

Nyota growled, “I know what it means!”

“I hope we’re not having any fights here, are we?” Beverly inquired as she strolled by with some coffee.

“Hey, Miss Miller,” Nyota greeted. “Is it true Ben and Judith left with Greywind?”

“Yeah,” Beverly confirmed. “News came as a total surprise.”

“But why?”

“According to the Emperor,” Beverly explained, “she wants Ben to learn about Deinar society and politics. Apparently she is considering him to be an eventual leader of our human community.”

“I knew he was Greywind’s favorite,” Kassad muttered.

“Kassad, don’t start,” Garnet gently cautioned. She slid a comforting over his. Sarah glared jealousy from her seat.

“What about Judith? She’s not leaving us, is she?” Nyota hoped not.

“Apparently Judith is being called to the Nedatans of the Toridas Monastery,” said Beverly.

“Ew, you mean the Nedatans got a thing for old nuns?” Idaho asked.

The children burst into laughter.

“Idaho, no!” Beverly waved a finger at him. “Judith is apparently going to assist the Nedatans with some scholarly work.”

“But why did Elder Greywind not tell the rest of us first?” Glad asked. It struck the Loroi as odd that their sire did not hold a family meeting to host big announcements as she usually did.

Beverly explained, “The Emperor was forced to depart quickly for Toridas to partake in an urgent conference with the Viscounts.”

“What’s a Viscount?” Bean asked.

“A civilian leader appointed to govern civilian affairs,” Ember answered. “Typical that the civilians need warriors to come to their rescue.”

“Ember,” Beverly scolded. “Think of your peers here that come from civilian families.”

“Well, they seem to be an exception,” Ember muttered. “If they can rise to the challenge.”

“Oh, spare us, Wonder Woman,” said Idaho.

“Children, be nice,” Beverly cautioned. “Anyway, he and Judith will be back in a couple weeks.”

“But what about philosophy studies?” Nyota asked. She enjoyed Judith’s spiritual and philosophical lectures.

“Those will be put on hold for now,” said Beverly. “You kids just focus on your other studies. Okay?”

The children voiced their compliance.

Ding!

A bell rang. The teachers summoned their respective students to commence the day’s lectures. Beverly left the dining hall for the Housemaster’s office. Taking a seat at her desk, Beverly began writing her weekly report to send back to the Terran authorities.

Housemaster Crescent, seated at her desk apart from Beverly, took note of what appeared to be a skeletal illustration of some animal. “Miss Miller,” Crescent inquired, “what is that shirt you are wearing?”

“Oh, this is my Jurassic Park shirt,” said Beverly.

Crescent squinted her eyes. “Jew-race-ik what?”

“It’s an old franchise from two hundred years ago,” Beverly explained. “A movie. Well, technically it started off as a book about humans reviving the dinosaurs to put them on exhibit for public amusement. Uh, it’s fiction. Well, not the dinosaurs, I mean they existed… once.”

Crescent blinked a few times as she processed this. “I see. Where is your standard uniform?”

“It need to be washed, Housemaster.”

“And you could not clean it sooner?”

“Sorry, but the washing queue has been jam-packed. I’m still waiting for my laundry to be done.”

Crescent sighed. “Next time you are on duty, I expect you to come properly dressed. This is a military school with standards we must uphold.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Beverly said simply as she recommenced her work.

Coldstone entered the office. >All leftover alcoholic beverages have been locked and secure,< she sent to Crescent, handing the Housemaster the key to the beverage lockers.

>Very good,< sent Crescent, storing the key away in her vault. >How is Mazeit Ashrain faring?<

>Quite irritated,< sent Coldstone.

>That’s to be expected from alcohol withdrawal. The Emperor has left strict instructions that we must have tighter restrictions regarding alcohol consumption here. Ashrain needs to recover. And I do not intend to disappoint.<

Coldstone left to resume her other duties. Crescent summoned Sasha, who arrived in bimas.

“Hello, Boss Crescent,” Sasha greeted. “Hello, Miss Miller.”

Beverly waved at him. “Hi there, big boy.”

“Hey Sasha,” Chessa winked at him.

Sasha’s smile grew. “Hello, Chessa.”

“Sasha, I have a task for you,” said Crescent. “Maizet Ashrain needs something to distract her during her stay. Perhaps you could enlist her aid.”

“Eh, enlist aid?”

“You are working in the subterranean farm today, correct?” Crescent received a nod as reply. “Bring her with you. Show her your work. Try to encourage her to also help you in the gardens.”

“Will do, Boss,” said Sasha, leaving to carry out his chores.

“Oh, Sasha,” Chessa called after him. She left her desk and met him in the hall. She whispered, “Do you want to meet me at the guest house tonight?”

Sasha was pleasantly surprised. “You have approval from Boss Crescent?”

“Yes, yes, she approved it.”

Sasha offered a silly grin, leaning down. “Okay then.”

“See you later,” she winked, scurrying back into the office.

Sasha left with a good feeling in his heart as he left to find Ashrain. Mating requests were encouraged to be discreet. Even if they were among humans, they had to be approved by the Housemaster. The guest house seemed like an ideal place to host encounters far from the children. Although quite a few Loroi entering puberty snuck close to get a telepathic glimpse of the adults’ indulgences.

Chessa was a kind woman. Sasha was attracted to kindness. She acted as psychotherapist for the human children and impressed Sasha with her intellect. He was also intrigued by her book she was writing with Beverly to send back to Terran space for publication. “The Beauty of the Extended Family,” was their joint project challenging the difficulties of raising human children according to the nuclear family model and advocating for the formation of collective families. The Loroi lifestyle certainly served as inspiration.

Chessa and the Russ-Martian had been growing quite close the past couple of months. Some of the human women wanted the men’s affections after watching them get the Loroi’s attention for too long. Apart from that, some women felt a strong desire to have a baby of their own, especially those considering making a permanent residence on Deinar.

Sasha had gotten coital with a few Loroi, but he felt more drawn to Chessa. The two of them laid out their feelings and their personal desires on their last intimate moment together. They felt like they were a good match for each other. They were looking forward to have their request for permanent residence at West Ginazeigo Isle granted and having a baby to raise at the creche.

=== (+) ===

Patrix was content to relax in his room following lectures and dinner. Dhalid came calling at his door in the form of Ashrain.

“And, uh, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit, Commodore?” Patrix asked.

“I hear the Irish enjoy whiskey,” Ashrain said simply.

“Proxi-Irish actually,” Patrix pointed out. “But we too get that stereotype. What makes you think I got whiskey?”

“I know that Councilor Peridot brought you a bottle last year in exchange for an intimate favor,” said Ashrain.

Patrix kept his cool. “And how would you know that?”

“I’m the grand niece of a former Mizol,” Ashrain pointed out. “I may not have powers of influence, but even I learnt some useful tricks in intelligence gathering.”

“Look, Commodore, I know as well as everyone else you’re not supposed to drink under the Emperor’s order.”

“Do not argue with me,” Ashrain snapped. She breathed in deeply. “Forgive my agitation. But being sober has been more difficult than I thought. I just need a small drink. Just for tonight. Then I will happily submit myself to my sobriety.”

“You do realize that more alcohol just postpones the stress of-” Patrix did not get to finish as Ashrain grabbed his chin and pulled him into a kiss.

Ashrain gasped as she broke the kiss, her blue fingers digging into his cheeks. “You will bring two blankets. We will walk far from the creche grounds. We will share your whiskey in the grassy hills out of sight. And then we will have sex.”

Patrix mumbled awkwardly through Ashrain’s icy grip, “Okey-dokey.”

Patrix could not help but fear he was going to regret this as he followed Ashrain out into the grassy hills. For one thing, he was giving booze to someone who was strictly banned from the substance. Secondly, they were engaging in an unauthorized mating encounter. Lastly, Patrix was parting with the last of his precious Jack Daniels. There was no telling when he would get another bottle.

He certainly felt the pain of loss as he watched Ashrain down the last few drops of whiskey. Though forgot his worries quite quickly when Ashrain wrestled him onto the blanket, shredded his attire and mounted him. The Proxi-Irish could not be sure if Ashrain’s violent gyrations were fueled by suppressed aggression or intoxication. But she was rough. Despite her slender figure, she was deceptively strong. When she forcefully gripped his throat, Patrix felt an instinct to fight back as he threw her off him, locked her arms into his fists and asserted his manhood.

Under Deinar’s starry sky they snarled and clawed, their alien forms pounding into each other as they howled profanity in both their respective tongues. Ashrain’s nails left scratch marks on Patrix’s back and chest. Patrix returned the favor with some mild bruises to the more pyge segments of Ashrain’s anatomy.

After hours of furious coupling, they lay side by side. Bedding one blanket while covered by the other.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many shooting stars,” Patrix commented, his hands supporting his head as he watched the streaks of fiery white blear through Deinar’s atmosphere.

“A poetic expression for falling debris,” Ashrain replied, taking a deep blow of her spice pipe. “I made a mistake.”

Patrix scoffed out a laugh, “Ya! That’s a pretty common feeling after wild sex.”

“Not that,” said Ashrain. “I mean I made a mistake… many mistakes in my life.” She took another puff of spice, exhaling a stream of vapor. “When the Shells hurled all their reserves at us at the Steppes, we were nearly overwhelmed. Humanity’s arrival served as a useful distraction to throw the Shells off, giving us enough time to mount a quick counter attack. I watched many Loroi perish that day. I watched my comrade’s ship, Tsunami, explode. It took me probably four solons to understand that my comrade, Moonglow died with it.”

Ashrain sat up, the blanket falling away exposing her upper half as she rested on her knees. “After the Umiak’s failed invasion, we finally pushed back, hitting the Shells hard. It felt good to claim justice for all the lives they corrupted or destroyed. I should have been happy. I was happy for a moment. When the war finally ended, Greywind called me back to the mobile capital. An inauguration ceremony was made in honor of me and several other of our kin and closest allies. We were to be promoted, given great seats of authority. I failed to attend.”

“Why?” Patrix asked.

“Because that same day I became deeply intoxicated. I fought for years at the front to prove my worth as a commander. I was about to receive honor and glory that most Loroi will never have. It was everything I wanted since the day I graduated the Torrai Academy. But on that particular day I just did not care. In that moment, I did not care about honor. I did not want status or promotion. I just wanted to get drunk because I was depressed. I wanted to wash away the pain of fighting Shells for so many bloody years. I felt so ashamed when Greywind found me in my cabin, in a wrecked state.”

“I guess she must have been furious,” Patrix commented.

“For a moment,” said Ashrain, taking another puff of spice. “But, surprisingly, she took pity on me. She merely postponed my promotion. I was forced to sit with counselors for nanapis until I was approved for return to duty. My aunt offered to promote me after I recovered.”

“So you declined I take it?”

“Technically no. I asked to be assigned to supply runs to the new spinward territories we conquered. Just for a while. Just until I felt ready. My aunt has never withdrawn her offer. I just have not taken it.” Ashrain rubbed her forehead, her head dizzy from the after effects of whiskey. “I think… sometimes… I do not want it anymore. Yet at the same time I am afraid of losing my opportunity to sit in a place of high office. I fear failing my familial clan. My emperor. Ironic, is it not? I do not want it, yet I am afraid of losing it. Most alcoholics don’t even understand the root cause of their addiction. I do. But I don’t want to face it.” Ashrain dipped her head, the rims of her eyes becoming bleary. ”I’ve brought shame to myself. My recklessness has cost me. Greywind has given command of Black Razor to my subordinate, Ironfist. I am grounded here. Greywind now needs me to aid her in managing Deinar. Once my aunt finds out I deviated tonight, I could lose more. I have ruined myself.”

Patrix regarded her before casting his eyes back up to the night sky. “You know what strikes me the most? Is how much Loroi females are a lot like human males.”

Ashrain looked at Patrix, not sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. “What do you mean?”

“You’re a warrior,” Patrix explained. “To be a warrior, you got to prove yourself in the face of every difficulty. All just to impress your witnesses. Most human men are not warriors. But still… we got to prove our worth every day. All to impress others just to keep our place in a group. Impress our bosses. Impress our coworkers. Impress our friends. And the most impossible of them all… impress women.”

Ashrain chuckled as she fell back onto the makeshift mattress. “Yes,” she acknowledged. “How paradoxical! We warriors must impress other warriors just to breed once. And then we must accomplish something even greater just for a chance to breed again. Yet human females have endless access to whatever males they want. They can have as many children as they want. And all they have to do is make themselves seem appealing.”

Patrix considered countering that oversimplification. But simply said, “I think that checks out. I consider it paradoxical that Loroi men get to be provided by the state all their lives. They get career opportunities. They get to have fun. And they get to screw around. Practically. Every. Single. Day. A human man has to fight for his career. He only gets to have fun when he can afford it. If he can afford it. He’s lucky if he even gets a moment’s notice from a woman.”

Ashrain rolled onto her side, resting on her elbow. “When the war was over, the Union offered humanity the opportunity to join as full members. A few abandoned their Terran citizenships to join. But merely an unimpressive minority. Those few humans, particularly the males, received an endless queue of civilian admirers on the colonies. If human males crave a female’s attention, why would they not want to join us Loroi?”

Patrix quoted Edwin Louis Cole, “Being a male is a matter of birth. Being a man is a matter of choice.”

Ashrain cocked a curious eyebrow.

It was Patrix’s turn to sit up. “We don’t choose what we’re born as,” he explained. “But we choose what we become. We’re not men until we prove to ourselves how far we’re willing to go. How hard we’re willing to work. And the burden of it can be too much to bear. But it’s the price we pay for our freedom. Our right to choose. My grandfather, a true Irish born, told me the old stories of his home country, Ireland.

“For centuries Ireland has been abused. Particularly by British land owners who exploited Irish peasants. All to enrich themselves at the Irish’s expense. Then, nearly three centuries ago, Irish nationalists rose up in bloody revolt. Most of them were killed or imprisoned, but it sparked a revolution. Took nearly half a century, but Ireland became its own nation. I’ve never even been to Ireland, but I feel the blood of that country in my veins. No matter what adversity we Irish faced thereafter, we faced them as men. British always boasted bein’ proper. But they lost Ireland because they had no respect for the Irish. No man in his right mind should ever bend to another man who demands respect, but has none to give.”

Ashrain could not help but smirk. “There seem to be many Tabenids who would like you.”

“I know plenty of Proxi-Irish that would love to get drunk with you.” Patrix hooted as he fell back. He huffed out a sigh before admitting spontaneously, “I want a son.”

Ashrain was confused at the sudden change in subject. “What?”

“I thought I could enjoy life more as a fatherless man,” said Patrix. “But ever since I came to Deinar, being part of these kids lives sparked something in me. A desire to have my own child. I could accept a daughter. But I want a son. When my contract expires, I’ll have a fortune. I could go back to Proxima. If the Confederate fascists haven’t brainwashed everybody, maybe my resume will land me a good position. I could go to Earth. Maybe even to old Ireland. Buy myself a house, my own vehicle. All the things I need to be happy. All the things I need to attract a woman. But I’m afraid.”

“Afraid of war?” Ashrain asked.

Patrix shook his head. “I’m afraid it won’t be enough. I left my home for the Union because no matter how hard I worked, it was never good enough. Most women only want men who earn high-salaries on Proxima. Or the hotshots from the Scout Corps. Common laborers like me are barely noticed. A few Proxi gals are easy sex. But they never settle for men like me.

“When I came to the Union, I was drowning in attention. Every female looked at me. Some regarded me with loathing and distrust. But some looked at me hungrily. And I don’t need sanzai to know what a hungry looking Loroi wants. Can you imagine how good it feels to be seen? To be wanted? When I was called to be hired by the Emperor, I got the same attention here. Hell, I had to protect myself from some of the Loroi kids. I remember this one Loroi girl, five years, asking me to help her lift an object, but it was just an excuse for her to rut up against me. Hell I remember a few of the blue girls even cornered me alone in the bathing chamber once.”

Ashrain laughed, “Ha ha! Indeed! I remember the elders gossiping their concerns when the human adults first arrived. The mischief of our youth. The troubles you faced then. But what does this have to do with wanting your own child?”

Patrix sighed. “My point is the Loroi are gorgeous beyond belief. They want me. For any man it’s a dream come true. But none of them want to be spouses. Most don’t even understand the concept. Besides, none of them can ever give me a son.”

“Why not ask one of the human females here then?”

“That’s the problem. I don’t think any of them want me. Not even the one woman I want.”

“And what woman do you really want, Patrix Fitzburke?”

“That’s my secret.”

Ashrain snorted through her nostrils. “Fine then. Keep your secrets. I don’t understand why humans make their mating rituals so complicated anyway.”

Patrix shrugged. “Neither do we. We just roll with it.”

“Roll with it? I don’t understand.”

“We do it just because everyone else does.”

Ashrain grinned, lying on her back again. “I think you are right. We are more alike than we realize.”

=== (+) ===

Twoface could not sleep. She decided to pay the nursery a visit. Careful not to disturb the little ones sleeping in their cribs, she gazed admiringly down at Dawn. Her goddaughter.

Even after having her armor and rank restored, Twoface still felt confined. But having her true comrades, Icespear and Weaver, and little Dawn made it bearable.

In the year she had lived at the creche, Twoface had plenty of time to do some personal reflection. To reflect on the choices she made that led her to where she was. To wonder where she was heading. To speculate on what could have been if she had made different choices.

Among those choices she thought back to her giant of a twin, Luckstar. Having had time to ponder, Twoface genuinely wondered if perhaps she were the cause for her sister’s breakaway, her descent into the criminal underworld. She tried to console herself that Luckstar was responsible for her own choices. Yet even so, Twoface could not deny the guilt she felt for leaving her sister. The one Loroi who defended Twoface in her youth.

When Twoface and her friends were first brought to West Ginazeigo Isle, Listel Cotton explained everything for Twoface. The Emperor later admitted to sparing Twoface and her comrades a more severe punishment was due to Twoface’s and Dawn’s special bond.

Understanding the strong bond Twoface still held with her criminal sister, Greywind exposed Twoface to some of the most terrible crimes Eternal Endurance’s gang was involved in. To learn that Luckstar was a willing participant in these heinous acts devastated Twoface. Yet even so, Twoface could not lie about her feelings for her sister. The Emperor therefore compromised with Twoface. Twoface would guard Dawn and participate willingly in Project First Son. And to keep the details of the project secret. In exchange Greywind would make an effort to apprehend Luckstar if circumstances permitted. Just so Twoface could see her again.

Twoface swore her obedience to the Emperor.

Now the Listel’s recent test confirmed that Ben’s mind, when in link with Greywind’s, not only enabled farsight, but allowed them to remotely peek into the minds of any individual within range. Even other humans.

Twoface had concerns about the potential repercussions of her joint ability with Dawn. Still she was eager to learn how to use it. Especially after discovering Ben’s secret ability. If for no other reason, Twoface would use it to find Luckstar. Twoface was still convinced Luckstar was seduced and corrupted by Eternal Endurance. Whatever wrong Luckstar did, Endurance was to blame. Twoface believed she could save her sister. To rehabilitate Luckstar into lawful society.

Now the Emperor was remaining on Deinar as provisional head and residing in Toridas. Greywind informed Twoface that, upon her return, they would begin speculating how to research Twoface’s and Dawn’s joint ability without compromising secrecy. Until then, Twoface was prohibited from sleeping near Dawn just as she had been the whole year.

Twoface had witnessed firsthand Greywind’s affection and compassion for her human adoptees and her human staff. This community meant something to the Emperor. Yet even so, Twoface suspected that Greywind might be hiding some ulterior motive. Despite her sues for peace with the Terrans, Twoface knew many Loroi never got their power by adhering strictly to moral codes.

Greywind genuinely wanted to help the Union. To save the Terrans from destruction. But her idea of unifying the Union by adhering to the central authority manifest on Deinar seemed terribly unambiguous.

While there were many virtuous Deinarids, Twoface had come to understand why many sapients regarded Deinarids as arrogant expansionists. Deinarids knew the universe did not revolve around Deinar, but acted as if it was the focal point of the Loroi’s existence. The atrocities of the Great War, some of which Greywind condoned in the name of self-defense, disturbed even Twoface. And while not all the subject races of the Umiak were exterminated, the Loroi had certainly wiped out billions of sapients. Twoface could accept casualties of war. What she could not accept was exterminating the sapients that perhaps opposed the Umiak. They may not have loved the Loroi, but perhaps they never wanted to support the Umiak.

Twoface kept these views private. Most Loroi would consider them unpopular.

Twoface had never considered herself an imperialist. She did believe unity was best achieved by a central authority, but it seemed best achievable by adhering to an abstract moral authority. A universal ethical code that seemed less imposing. Like the way Barsam clerics appealed to sapients by offering their wisdom freely without demands or threats. Or the Universalists of the Interspecies Convention who advocated for the rights of sapients.

Twoface was not sure if she was a Universalist at heart. But she knew sapients cooperated better with Loroi when they were treated with respect. She believed progress was achieved when sapients strived to be moral individuals. Moral individuals made safer societies. Greywind believed moral societies only survived if they had power. And keeping power meant exhibiting dominance. While Twoface acknowledged dominance was necessary at times, she had seen one too many Loroi abuse their dominance over others.

Even if she did not have the powers of influence as Perreinid Sentinels did, Twoface had still learnt some useful telepathic tricks at the Mizol Academy. Among them was the ability to keep secrets. And while Twoface had sworn obedience to Greywind, she never omitted in full under what grounds.

Twoface would continue to be the dutiful warrior and play her part in the Emperor’s plans. But she would never compromise her principles. And whatever ulterior plans Greywind might be hiding, Twoface was determined to defend not only Dawn’s goodness, but the benevolence of this whole community. A community of Loroi and humans whose moral aptitude resonated like her own.

>I will protect you, Dawn,< Twoface sent. She watched Dawn squirm in her sleep. Perhaps she was receiving from Twoface this very moment. >We’ll do as the Emperor commands and explore this joint ability we have. We will save lives with it. Maybe we can finally find my sister and save her from Endurance. But I will never let anyone exploit you for malicious ends. And I will never allow anyone to corrupt you.<