Outcast Quest [Updated 10/10/18 - Turn 14]

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: Outcast Quest [Updated 09/10/18 - Tactical Turn 2 Result

Post by dragoongfa »

Diplomacy I am going with governance, new elected governor and all that.

Martial I planned to go with combat exercises but since I talked Razor into throwing us a bone with the Jump Sickness lets save it for after that is done, the Malus is nasty.

[X] Whale Hunt 3

Stewardship: We have 2 stewardship actions due to the Colonist background so we can build two things simultaneously, my excel sheet covers the dry-dock investment for this turn:

[X] Dry-Dock

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Intrigue: Coin toss between long range exploration and discernment but leaning towards Discernment, if only to get an idea what we are sending our shuttles at.

[X]Discernment

Leaning:

[X]Jump sickness, the Malus needs to go.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Martial: has got to be Whalers Pt.3 because we have such poor chances on the rest.

Diplomacy: Urkuk language. Know one's enemy, at least understand them.

Stewardship: changed to Drydock

Intrigue: Every Move You Make. We already know that at some point in time the loroi were considering a jailbreak and have also been caught crawling around in the ventilation ducts of the L'Amour. Since the only way home for them is our ship, if I was the captain, I certainly wouldn't want to have it stolen from under me. As Chief Volkova would say, доверяй но проверяй - trust but verify.

Learning: Jump Sickness Research. We're halfway there already

Personal-1: I think O'Malley because I have a feeling our Martial skills need improvement,

Personal-2: Lost Souls sounds good
Last edited by entity2636 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrewfoot

Post by Shrewfoot »

Whalers! We hunt for Mobius Quark the white space-whale!

Diplomacy - Spencer. If we keep ignoring the civilian leader it could be bad.

Stewardship - Warehouse. This may seem like a strange choice... but! Our resources are really going to be rolling in soon and having our only storage on the ship seems like something which could cause a lot of "Fun". Also, 'in character' an early warehouse is absolutely something a colony would build because usable space, clutter, and waste are the three mortal enemies of space colonies.

Intrigue - Discernment. More sonar! We need the hours and the knowledge because forewarned is four-armed... I think.

Learning - Jump-Sickness! It's time to double-down and get rid of this stat penalty. Moral improvement is a huge factor as well. Can you imagine no longer being in the doldrums?

Personal - Spear and Campos. Yes. Let us talk to the strange Doctor and familiar Alien.
For it is no easy undertaking, I say,/ to describe the bottom of the Universe.
Dante's Inferno

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

People seem to forget that we need to modify L'amour before we venture out to meet the Loroi. L'amour will need the Corkscrew module for navigating the gas cloud and some more turrets for scaring off an Urkuk flotilla. To do these modifications we will need the Drydocks and some turns. The sooner we get the Drydocks ready the better we will be since we promised Spear 1 year of necessary preparations. The other things can wait until after the Science Annex is done.

Siber

Post by Siber »

For the time being I'm inclined to stick with dragoongfa's development plan, so drydocking this turn, warehousing afterwards.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

You are correct, Dragoon, but to undertake said mission we need to convert the L'Amour into a proper warship but first build more substantial defenses for Niflheim (requires at least the Chemical Missile Plant, basic missiles and CIWS). Our colonists might not be too thrilled if the only mobile defense platform they have were to leave for a year or more on a mission it might not return from. I'd also like to stick "moar dakka" onto the L'Amour, while we're at it.

Also the Drydock has a 70% chance of success (if the RNG here is like in Xcom where 80% hit chance means a certain miss) which means there's still a 1 in 3 chance something will go wrong with it. I considered proposing a "filler" project while we get rid of the jump sickness and out success chances improve, but if you have everything figured out, I will change my proposal and support you on the Drydock project.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Regarding the 70% chance, true that we have a 1 in 3 chances to lose a turn but the cure for the Jump sickness will need at least 2 turns to complete, three turns on average, 4 to 5 if we get really bad rolls. On the other hand the minor project we could invest to have an 80% chance, 1 in 5 odds which aren't that good and these projects don't actually offer anything that is a priority. We will need warehousing when we leave for the trip to the Loroi but until then L'amour is docked and thus there is no need of it. The recycling center is a good investment for RU reasons but we have a nice surplus each turn already, recycling is certainly on my 'to do' list once the labs and docks are done. My main concern is keeping our word to Spear and the Loroi; if a small delay happens due to reasons that are out of our hands then they will hopefully be reasonable, if we don't showcase that we had preparations for the trip a priority then they will surely not be reasonable. When we leave I want us to be at a point where the colony should be in a position to easily afford plenty of paths and we should have a couple of turns to set those paths in motion.

Furthermore, the colony defenses are a military choice to build and they have bad odds while the Jump sickness Malus is in effect, having the stewardship slots locked doesn't mean anything for that. I would invest in the CIWS and the missile launchers once jump sickness is cured if only to milk the Whales for all that they are worth before that.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

A small update to the voting list, Added a new option to personal actions:
[] Duct Crawling: The loroi children have been spotted playing in the air ducts on occasion. You view it as harmless fun since you did much the same yourself at that age, but a certain marine colonel insists that the ducts be checked just in case. He never did say who had to check the ducts.

Cost: 0, Time: 1 Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Knowledge on what the loroi kids are doing in the ducts, ???
In other news, work proceeds on designing options for modding the L'Amour. I've got a few options drawn up with room for improvement as you work up your economy and tech base.

One thing that's been irritating me is how to work those new weapons, armour, etc. into a combat system that won't become an excessively number crunchy simulation.

One idea I've been toying with to try and get that done is to borrow a page out of an old game I used to play (Star Trek: Birth of the Federation) and have things as a kind of semi-turn based combat.

The basic idea is that your martial stat, or your XO's martial stat since hers is higher, is divided by four to give you a number of combat turns. You select from a number of moves, and your ship will execute them. Your opponents martial stats are likewise divided by four, and that gives him his combat turns. Once both sides have their combat turns locked in, rolls are made and both sides attempt to execute their moves. Some moves will naturally counter others.

So, for example:
SpoilerShow
O'Malley's Martial = 18 - 6 = 12 / 4 = 3 Combat Turns
Gvakak the Bloodener's Martial = 13 / 4 = 3 Combat Turns

O'Malley's Combat Decisions:

Turn 1: Charge
Turn 2: Strafe
Turn 3: Harry

Gvakak's Combat Decisions:

Turn 1: <<Hidden>>
Turn 2: <<Hidden>>
Turn 3: <<Hidden>>

Combat:

O'Malley's Charge: Rolled: 83 + 12 = 95! PDL deals 2d100 (95 + 23) damage dealt to Gvakak!
Gvakak's Charge: Rolled: 20 + 13 = 33! Scrapgun deals 1d12 (2) damage to the L'Amour!

O'Malley's Strafe: Rolled 38 + 12 = 50! PDL deals 1d100 (45) damage to Gvakak!
Gvakak's Harry: Rolled: 3 + 13 = 16! Scrapgun Misses! Strafe Counters Harry! O'Malley gets a bonus turn!
O'Malley's Strafe: Rolled: 82 + 12 = 94! PDL deals 2d100 (95 + 37) damage to Gvakak!

O'Malley's Harry: Rolled: 60 + 12 = 72! PDL deals 1d100 (17) damage to Gvakak!
Gvakak's Assault: Rolled: 13 + 13 = 26! Scrapgun deals 1d12 (1) damage to L'Amour! Assault counters Harry! Gvakak gets a bonus turn!
Gvakak's Assault: Rolled: 56 + 13 = 69! Scrapgun deals 1d40 (21) damage to L'Amour!

Total Damage:
L'Amour dealt: 312 Damage
L'Amour absorbed: 24 Damage
Now, I haven't quite gotten round to determining what health various ships should have, but you're generally going to see a multiplier of ten per tech level. Given the tech disparity between you and the Urkuk, you'll likely have around 100 times the HP they'll have, and your weapons will probably have a commensurate bonus as well. That being said though, the Urkuk make up for their lack of tech through raw numbers. You can probably somewhat counter this with multiple weapons systems. The above sim only had the L'Amour's PDL going, so more weapons will probably...

You know, I think I just stumbled back into the problem I was trying to avoid with the excessive degree of simulation.

Okay, from scratch, I think I've got a simpler system.

Each weapon system adds to a pool of offensive dice, 1d12 per CIWS battery, 1d50 per Mass Driver, etc.
Each defensive system adds to a pool of defensive dice, 1d12 per Flak battery, 1d50 per PDL, etc.

Each side rolls for offense and defense. Both sides subtract. Whoever gets to zero HP first loses.

So...
SpoilerShow
Case A:

Offense: Urkuk has four Scrapguns, 4d6 = 5 + 3 + 3 + 6 = 17
Defense: Urkuk has four Scrapguns, 4d6 = 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 9

Offense: L'Amour has one twin PDL, 2d50 = 32 + 23 = 55 - 9 = 46
Defense: L'Amour has one twin PDL, 2d50 = 40 + 37 = 77 - 17 = 60

Urkuk ded.

Case B:

Offense: L'Amour has one twin PDL, 2d50 = 49 + 7 = 56
Defense: L'Amour has one twin PDL, 2d50 = 19 + 22 = 41

Offense: L'Mao has one twin PDL, 2d50 = 50 + 2 = 52 - 41 = 11
Defense: L'Mao has one twin PDL, 2d50 = 49 + 34 = 83 - 56 = 27

11 Damage is dealt to the L'Amour.
Of course, it's a bit silly that PDL's can intercept PDL's but this is perfectly symmetrical violence we're talking about here. It is a start at least. I'll probably just sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Siber

Re: Outcast Quest [Updated 10/10/18 - Turn 14]

Post by Siber »

Warning: Game design noodling below!

An idea occurred to me on a variation of that. Let's say not that the urkuk scrapguns do 4d6 damage, but instead that they add 4 d6s to a pool. The L'amour gets 2 d50s in it's pool. Both of these are flexible dice that can be used for attack and defense. Attacks and defenses are matched die for die, not total for total.
SpoilerShow
Turn one:
The Urkuk see that the L'Amour has two weapons, and devote two scrapguns to defense, two to defense. 2d6 attack pool, 2d6 defense pool.
L'Amour isn't sure what the Urkuk is packing so similarly devotes one PDL cluster to offense and one to defense, 1d50, 1d50

Urkuk Attacks: 2,5
Urkuk Defenses: 3,5

L'Amour attacks: 9(I'm really rolling (virtual) dice for this, oof)
L'Amour defenses: 31

The first Urkuk attack is negated entirely, but the second gets through, giving credence to the power of numbers. It only does 5 damage though.
The Urkuk's first defense, 3, knocks the L'Amour's attack down to 6. The second defense is wasted since there's not a second attack die for it to counter.
That framework might be a bit of work, but I think it's fun work, and small variations could let different weapon systems work in different ways that are quite impactful.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Regarding battles, I am more in favor of simulation but I understand the need for simplicity.

I have a couple of ideas to throw in but I am at work right now, will try to write them down back at home.

Shrewfoot

Post by Shrewfoot »

I understand that one of the big problems here is that unless we scheduled a time to simulate our battles with a designated battler from the players with Razor One there is no way to have back and forth concerning a battle without it taking months per an encounter. So we'd need to build a battle system that ran itself, is intuitive and simple, but has enough depth to satisfy us - OR - we agree that at a certain time at least one player will be present to represent the players and make the decisions regarding an encounter. Or... maybe the players could choose encounter strategies that our 'AI' followed for battles like, hit-and-run, guns-ablazin', hide-and-seek...

Just trying to brainstorm a way to provide a little more depth without mountains more work... What do you guys think?
Dante's Inferno

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

So, it's the weekend; I have had my recharge and it is time I write down my suggestion about the combat system which more or less boils down to 'less is more' or to put it plainly; the less dice rolls the better.

In terms of space combat each ship has two main stats which are 'Attack' and 'Defence'. The attack stat is the combined attack potential of a ship, the defense stat is the combined defend potential of a ship.

The more and better weapons each ship has the higher the attack stat. The more and better armor/ecm/shields/agility each ship has the better the defense stat. In terms of the rolls both stats should have a minimum roll (lets say 20% of the current max), in each turn of combat the attacker and the defender roll; if the defender rolls a defense that considerably larger than the attack then no damage is taken. If the defender rolls just a bit higher the defensive stat gets hit (simulating armor/shield/ecm fatigue). If the defender looses the exchange then the damage dealt to the HP should be determined by a combination of the damage potential and the 'margin' of the loss. Glancing hits from Urkuk cannons should still cause minor damage (marginal HP loss) but if an HE shell gets lucky and passes through an opening of the armor then it should cause moderate damage (greater HP loss). Overwhelming loses should trigger a 'critical hit' roll, loss of that roll doubles the damage received and potentially knocks out some points in the attack/defense stats.

By this the amount of rolls required for each 1 to 1 engagement should be 2 in each combat turn. Calculating the results could be a bit iffy if a table of the marginal and greater rolls is not agreed upon in advance.

Battles with multiple opponents/allies, those are iffy. If a ship has multiple weapon mounts/turret they could assign a target to each turret but they would have to split their attack stat evenly between each turret. If an attack stat is 100 and you have four turrets then you can track four targets but with only 25 attack each. Good if your weapons outclass the enemy but bad if not.

Now defending against multiple opponents, that's where things could get iffy. Fighting multiple opponents at the same time, more so swarms of Urkuk shouldn't be something taken lightly but on the other hand an advanced warship shouldn't have problem with dealing with multiple opponents. I am proposing this system:

If opponents are 2 to 3 then each opponent rolls separately against the defensive stat. If the opponents are 4 to 6 then the coordinated attack malus kicks in; divide the enemies by two (lets say 6/2=3) and then divide the result by 1,50 (3/1,5 = 2). You then take this result and multiply the attack stat by it (lets say 2*10 = 20), the enhanced attack stat simulates the combined assault of half of the enemy force so you roll 2 dice with this attack stat against the defense stat.

The more enemies you fight at the same time the bigger the combined assault stat and the more assault dice are thrown.

What do you guys think?

Shrewfoot

Post by Shrewfoot »

I like this idea dragoongfa. I was thinking about the attack and defense bonuses and penalties for tech. Here's a pasted version of what's on the insider tech list for what tech we might expect to see in the underverse (I'd expect those with tier 12 or 13 tech to be able to enter and exit the underverse). And I just had a thought that limited sight range makes kinetic mass drivers much more tempting, I mean even with sensor drones you'd have to have a sprawling fleet of them to reliably snipe ships with LRMs or long-range particle beams.

8 | Spacefaring (2001-2100): stealth, ion drive, interplanetary travel, fusion power, cybernetics, railguns, bioengineering, 3D printing
9 | Starfaring: (2100-2150): jump drive, interstellar travel, inertial dampers, artificial gravity, antigrav, longevity, shipstones
10 | Antimatter: (2151-?): taimat power, blasters, electromagnetic screens, floater drive
11 | Force: plasma focus, plastron field, wave-loom device, force screens, tractor beams
12 | Spacetime Mastery: reactionless drive, ansible, hyperspace metrics. virtual consciousness
13 | Worldbuilding: jetpacks, personal force screens, unrestricted manipulation of planetary environment

If tier 8 tech is assumed base level for attack/defense effectiveness the tech there starts at 0. So, let's assume that their laser tech starts at 1d6 dmg roll of 20 X2 for critical hit and their mass driver is 1d20 19-20 -5 X3 but limited range. Tier 8 does have access to SRMs and they could theoretically have a nuke or some other warhead so I'm not sure how to calculate damage potential... their speed and guidance would be very basic and I'm not sure how willing someone would be to use nukes in the underverse where there is atmosphere and very limited sight range (or how effective they would be) so I'm really reaching here but - 5d20 20 -10 x3 splash dmg radius 500m (status effect radiation poisoning). And say their defensive shielding is a heavy metal reflective hull that could absorb 20 points of laser or kinetic dmg. And let their base speed be 1 and their evasion chance be a 1d20 +2. I'm just spitballing numbers, but you get the idea.

Then, we could take their base statistics and increase the accuracy and damage by 20% for each level - but additive. So, tier 9 would be 20% better, tier 10 40%, tier 11 60%, tier 12 120%, and tier 13 240%.

So for example, tier 9 in comparison would be PDL - 1d8 19-20 +2 X2; mass driver 2d12 19-20 -3 X3; their SRMs (assuming nuke) 7d20 17-20 -7 x3 splash dmg radius 700m OR SRM high-yield shaped explosive 3d20; defensive composite metal reflective hull 40 points laser/kinetic possibility of 10 extra points of laser defense with some kind of charged plating or basic EM screen; base speed 3 evasion chance 1d20 +4.

Thoughts?
Dante's Inferno

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Apologies for taking a long ass time on this, I've been doing a fair amount of thinking and I think I may have something that satisfies not delving into excessive simulation whilst allowing you guys to customise the ship to your hearts content.

It's a bit of a mish-mash of different systems, but bear with me.

You have the following stats:

Offensive Combat Value
Defensive Combat Value
Movement

Offensive Combat Value is the sum total of your offensive weapons capabilities, which are divided by damage types (Kinetic, Laser, etc.)
Defensive Combat Value is the sum total of your defensive weapons capabilities, plus your passive defensive measures (Flak batteries, PDL's, Armour, etc.)
Movement is how fast you go. Higher is better. If your movement is significantly higher, you can opt out of combat altogether and just run away... or chase your enemy down.

The basic rules for combat are that if your numbers outweigh your enemies numbers by a significant amount (IE, you have five times their numbers), you automatically win. Numbers closer in value will result in a combat turn, wherein you plan your moves and I'll then write out the combat sequence based on what weapons you have, what defences you have, what moves you choose to make and how your enemy responds.

Overall, there are layers of abstraction here. Discussion and reasoning will factor into how well you do in combat, so you can always get that extra edge for yourselves.

Combat values are affected by what range you choose to engage at. Engaging enemies at long range with short ranged weapons isn't going to go too well. Likewise, your weapons will also be important. Neglecting missile defences when your enemy is rocking missiles won't end well for you, and an overly generalist approach will be inefficient in the grand scheme of things. The idea here is to design your vessel to counter your intended opponents and to suit different mission profiles as the situation demands.

I do have some sample modules to whet your appetites. Most of these are still works in progress and there's a lot more writing involved here than I initially thought, but hopefully in the next few days I should have it wrapped up. Numbers are probably something I'll be tweaking and balancing for the entirety of the game though.

--
SpoilerShow
[] CIWS Gun Battery: A fairly simple weapon that spits out small kinetic slugs at a rapid speed and rate of fire. Devastating to lightly armoured opponents, decidedly less so against heavily armoured opponents. Can function as point defence but is not as effective as a dedicated system.

Siege Combat Value:

+50 at Close Range
+25 Mid Range
0 Long Range

Siege Defence Value

+25 Close Range
0 at Mid Range
0 Long Range

Cost: 300 RU, Time: One Week per Unit, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Gun emplacement on the L’Amour

[] Twin Point Defense Laser (Requires Machine Shop III, Physics Lab, Engineering Bay): Point defense lasers are a mainstay of the TCA fleet. They’re quick, they’re effective and they don’t require ammunition. They are a bit expensive to produce, but the upfront cost is mitigated by the relatively low running costs.

Piercing Defence Value:

+300 Close Range
+225 Mid Range
+150 Long Range

Piercing Combat Value:

+150 Close Range
+100 Mid Range
+50 Long Range

Cost: 4800 RU, Time: Two Months, Chance of Success: 80%, Reward: L’Amour gains a PDL

[] Missile Launcher (Requires Machine Shop II, Engineering Bay, Fission Plant1, Skunkworks2, ???3, ???4): A launch system for dedicated attack missiles.

Explosive Combat Values:

Chemical: +15
Fission1: +50
Fusion2: +150
Anti-Matter3: +400
[REDACTED]4: +1200

Cost: 2200 RU, Time: Two Weeks, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: Missile Launch system for the L’Amour

[] Ultralight Armour (Currently Equipped): This ultralight armour is intended for use in most military transports during peacetime. It prioritises speed and basic protection in opposition to being able to absorb damage and is capable of resisting most weapons pirates will typically bear in shorter engagements.

+4 Movement While Equipped
Enemy offensive combat value doubled while equipped.
+150 Passive Defence Value

Cost: 0 (1600 RU), Time: Three Weeks, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: L’Amour gains ultralight armour.

[] Light Armour: Light armour is the mainstay for transports, smallcraft and other light vessels where they can reasonably expect to face some kind of combat, and as such, the weight savings and accompanying economy advantages are traded in for further protection from attack. Nonetheless, this armour profile still affords a reasonable amount of protection against attack.

+2 Movement While Equipped
+250 Passive Defence Value

Cost: 4400 RU, Time: One Month, Chance of Success: 100%, Reward: L’Amour gains light armour.

[] Spinal Mass Driver (Requires Machine Shop II, Engineering Bay, Shipyard):

This spinally mounted mass driver is intended to turn the L’Amour into a gunship writ large, with a projected capability to core right through armored warships and heavily fortified bases with contemptuous ease… provided you can actually hit them in the first place.

The TCA generally don’t use spinal mounts of this type of weapon in this configuration due to their limited uses in keeping the peace.

Cost: 50000 RU, Time: Twelve Months, Chance of Success: ???, Reward: L’Amour gains a spinally mounted superheavy mass driver.
Damage Types

Piercing

Lasers, Plasma Focus, Particle Weaponry

Explosive

Rockets, Missiles, Torpedos, Bombs, Bomblets, Plasma

Siege

Mass drivers, CIWS, Flak

--

With regards to tech levels, I'm thinking that for every tech level above or below, you get a penalty/bonus depending on where you relatively sit. So, the Urkuk sitting at around TL8 whilst you guys are at TL9.8 can enjoy a fairly hefty multiplier in your favour, something like 10x versus Urkuk. Bear in mind though that the Loroi are technically more advanced than you, and if they decide to swarm that their numerical advantage will come into play. Probably a stacking bonus the more Urkuk you're facing down.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Shrewfoot

Post by Shrewfoot »

I like what I'm seeing Razor One. Tech advantage and disadvantage is difficult to encapsulate in simple modifiers, but X1 for every .1 above will simplify that and also makes sense to me. It's a pretty good approach that I think could serve us well - and I can't wait to test it out.
Dante's Inferno

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Hmm...

I am wondering, how many weapon hardpoints can we get on L'amour/per ship?

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

From my notes, which are currently still subject to change, you've got the following available:

Small Modules:
+Empty
+Empty
+Empty
+Empty
+Empty
+Empty

Medium Modules:
+Twin Point Defense Laser
+Empty
+Empty

Large Modules:
+Empty
+Empty

Armour:
+Ultralight Armour

Specialist Modules:
+Extended Fuel Tanks
+Colony Pod (Defunct)
+Cargo Bay (Baked In, requires Shipyard to refit, +1 Medium and Large Modules if removed OR additional specialist slot freed up)
SpoilerShow

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Neat...

I am guessing that certain stuff only go to the appropriate slots, I hope that we will get an explanation about what goes where when the time comes :P

Also, if you want any help with writing the clutter I can chip in.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Didn't realize that this started back up, neat. As a reminder to everyone:
[X] Pulsating Membrane

[snip]

With even the intervals between its pulsations perfectly matching the Fibonacci sequence, it has your science team utterly unanimous; whatever this thing is, it is in no way natural. It is almost certainly the artifact of some kind of advanced civilisation, but how it found its way into being integrated into a living organism and why are a complete mystery.

They do note that the level of biological and technological mastery required to produce such a thing are far beyond you, so if you happen to meet the aliens responsible, to please, try not to anger them. They further recommend that if you want to make progress on just what the hell is going on with this, that they’d need a more complete understanding of all aspects of whale physiology.
Danger identified: Space Whales are Nafen biotools, so harvesting should immediately cease. Also, migration of Niflheim outside of the nebula should be made a middle-term goal.

Shrewfoot

Post by Shrewfoot »

I'm not sure either that the whales are actually dangerous or that we would come to that conclusion 'in character'. The whales have a natural predator so they are no stranger to dying in the wild, since that has gone on for who knows how long it seems safe enough to harvest specimens for research. Additionally, our heroes know very little about the state of affairs in the underverse and as such any chance to increase their knowledge would be extremely tempting unless there was an obvious threat in the way of obtaining that knowledge. And, of course, without risk there is no reward and simply at face value there appears to be a decent reward for very little risk.
Dante's Inferno