Writing Prompts

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

novius

Re: Writing Prompts

Post by novius »

dragoongfa wrote:Nice spot you put Alex in although he does have a very legitimate out since it should be very close to the initial contact with the enemy. After that Alex will have to actually look for excuses to avoid being near Stillstorm (probably finding a certain Ragan for training).

In any case, working on the next part.
Of course it would not be a matter of "right here, right now, on top of the computer console :) ", but rest assured that Stillstorm won't let this matter rest. She's nothing if not tenacious and stubborn.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Just had to post a small part. Hope I haven't screwed up things for dragoongfa too much now. That lazy git needs to write quicker then.

Stillstorm may come back to the matter of Alex Lotai in the future. Let's wait and see.

novius

Post by novius »

Werra wrote:Just had to post a small part. Hope I haven't screwed up things for dragoongfa too much now. That lazy git needs to write quicker then.

Stillstorm may come back to the matter of Alex Lotai in the future. Let's wait and see.
Hmmmh. Too bad. For now Alex might think he's off the hook for now. Stoicing his way through a chewing out is something he is most probably already used to. Perhaps even latrine duty, or to be more 2160's like, recycling system cleanup duty. I would have liked having Stillstorm's implications looming over his head. What Stillstorm may intend with him is one thing, what Alex thinks she intends with him could be a wholly different matter. Just in line that the nightmares one conjures up for himself are the worst ones.

Especially if one isn't sure if that would be a nightmare or not.

But, yes, Stillstorm might come back to it with one single question: "Who said I wasn't serious with what I stated?"

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Took a break from writing, I come back and Werra just went up and made the first part of what I had already written totally meaningless :P

Some adaptations are in order and this brought me an other idea.

novius

Post by novius »

dragoongfa wrote:Took a break from writing, I come back and Werra just went up and made the first part of what I had already written totally meaningless :P

Some adaptations are in order and this brought me an other idea.
Keep the edited part in your snippets for now if you still have it. As said, who knows if Stillstorm isn't serious? :mrgreen:
SpoilerShow
Alex: "Phew. I really thought for a moment she was dead set on pulling me into the bedsheets."

Tempo: "As long as I know her, she never joked about such important matters. Never. So for your own sake, you better expect a summons to her quarters in the forseeable future."
Last edited by novius on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Sorry dragoongfa, I know I had said I was done, but this was too juicy to pass up on. If you want you can post your first part here. Seeing how you solved that situation would be very interesting.

@novius
Well, she flat out told Alex that yes, she has considered mating with him and that she expects him to consider it now too. The implications might well hound Alex for a while. Who knows, he might even come to respect and admire her. Especially once Stillstorm explains to him exactly what her reasoning was for keeping him with SG51. I don't think he knows yet, that Stillstorm is an opponent to this total war, no neutrality, genocide thing. I can even imagine him being the one who initiates the next attempt at courtship. Wouldn't that be something?

Imagine Tempos reaction if she hears of that.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Don't worry Werra, as payback I will push the courtship angle to a different direction :P

Werra

Post by Werra »

Sigh, let me just quickly bookmark that pic that got posted.

novius

Post by novius »

dragoongfa wrote:Don't worry Werra, as payback I will push the courtship angle to a different direction :P
I'm definitely curious how this turns out, rest assured. ;)

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

novius wrote: Beryl digging into Ellen's stuff just out of curiosity - partly to learn what made Ellen attractive to Alex - and pulling up a sappy romance novel? Entirely possible. :D
Minus the sappy romance novel, I put that very writing prompt into the beginning of this thread, though that was set much earlier in the timeline (while Alex was in his cell after witnessing the Naam battle), and before Beryl got a basic correlation of Trade and English letters. Now I think she could very well identify Ellen's personal effects if they survived and were labeled as such.

It would definitely be interesting to see her go through Ellen's (or even Alex's) things, especially now that she is on opposite shifts from him.

If someone does go the sappy romance novel route, it absolutely must be the old-school type with the Fabio covers. Bonus points if it leads to her acting completely out of character for a while just because she believes what she reads is true and that's how humans act.
Last edited by orion1836 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novius

Post by novius »

orion1836 wrote:If someone does go the sappy romance novel route, it absolutely must be the old-school type with the Fabio covers. Bonus points if it leads to her acting completely out of character for a while just because she believes what she reads is true and that's how humans act.
:D ROFL - too good to pass up! Definitely a keeper! Hmmm... given that cover you linked, perhaps Ellen was a bit of a kinkmistress.... I wonder what it would do to Beryl's sweet innocent mind... :)

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

lol, fixed the link. Meant to link the whole article, not one particular cover. Given their situation, #25 might be more appropriate. :mrgreen:

Warringrose

Post by Warringrose »

SpoilerShow
Stillstorm: "I want you to trust me!"

Alex: "Well, that will take a while, considering your past actions. However with time and shared respect I'm sure we can form a relationship that will last the ages and bridge the gaps between our two peoples-"

Stillstorm: "PSYCH! I was only foolin! I only wanted to deceive you for my own ends!"

Alex: "..."
Nice chapter, keep up the good work.

Werra

Post by Werra »

SpoilerShow
Stillstorm: I lied about having lied. Get naked!

Siber

Post by Siber »

Warringrose wrote:
SpoilerShow
Stillstorm: "I want you to trust me!"

Alex: "Well, that will take a while, considering your past actions. However with time and shared respect I'm sure we can form a relationship that will last the ages and bridge the gaps between our two peoples-"

Stillstorm: "PSYCH! I was only foolin! I only wanted to deceive you for my own ends!"

Alex: "..."
I must admit having some misgivings about Stillstorm being so deceptive. I'm not sure she actually lied if you examine in detail, but I'm not sure that's a technicality she'd lean on.

Mild misgivings, mind you.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

@Siber

"Words are tools of deception", I don't put it beyond Stillstorm to lie using words because in her mind words are used for exactly that.

Also, my part is done. It's huge. Hope you guys enjoy it. I am off to sleep and I will try to clean it up tomorrow.

novius

Post by novius »

dragoongfa wrote:@Siber

"Words are tools of deception", I don't put it beyond Stillstorm to lie using words because in her mind words are used for exactly that.

Also, my part is done. It's huge. Hope you guys enjoy it. I am off to sleep and I will try to clean it up tomorrow.
Beautiful piece. Dibs on the next part - and just to say it beforehand, they won't have a go at each other in the baths, they'd just relax. Perhaps even with Alex thinking over the combat training exercises, and the issues he faced.... and then he promised Tempo some clarification about Stillstorm's comment on the bridge.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Great job, dragoongfa. I did notice that you wrote Tempo where you should have written Talon once. And doesn't the Wave Loom not require switching off the engines?

In any case, I am looking forward to the further plot developments.

@Stillstorm
I write her pretty deceptive, I admit. But...she is the most succesful Raider and has been fighting a war for 25 years. Deception is such a big part of war, that she has to have a good grasp on it. She just identified Alex as a natural at it.

Let's see where this latest development leads to.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I don't think I mistook Tempo with Talon, I mentioned Tempo because of their dinner date and Talon because of their time in their baths. From the insider the Wave Loom requires main power to be diverted over several minutes in the same way as charging the jump drive (using the same accumulators as well). The ship however must be able to maneuver and even accelerate during jump so this means that the engines must be operational while the Wave Loom is charging; so I took the liberty of assuming that no other weapons are allowed to fire while it charges and maybe the ship must be holding back on the acceleration while doing so.

The ship is already a glass cannon as it stands with its sub par screens and armor, if we also completely cut the ability to maneuver while the main gun is charging for several minutes then we have to ask WTF the designers were thinking when they came up with this death trap.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Well, Tempest is the last of its class and Stillstorm annoys both the enemy and her superiors with her ability to not die. These ships were built in a time of desperation and rushed out. Your reasoning about maneuvering while jumping is sound though. I hadn't considered that.

Plus the Legend of Tempest is about a Loroi warrior being betrayed and put to seemingly certain death only to return and slaughter her former nation after making a pact with spirits.
SpoilerShow
Might become an actual plot point in chapter 6 or so.
I also took the liberty of changing a bit of dialogue, to make it better fit with your part.
SpoilerShow
After a few seconds of silence, a reliefed Alex spoke again. „I must say Commander, you really had me there. I thought Loroi to be always direct and truthful. Your trick caught me totally by surprise.“

Stillstorm barked out a sharp laugh as an answer. Then she fixed Alex up with a stare.

„That was payback for making me belief it really wanted an ecnounter with me after Gora Relay. So I gave it some ideas of my own to consider, too. A simple matter since the advantages of Sanzai with perfect Lotai are apparent.

Stillstorm had just admitted to having such thoughts about him, realised Alex. Thoughts, she knew, he'd also now have and couldn't act upon without looking like an ass. Strange how this Loroi time and again managed to make him feel played.