Writing Prompts

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

novius

Re: Writing Prompts

Post by novius »

Before they actually jump, I might want to add in a small filler scene where Tempo pays him a visit... not what you might think now, get your mind out of the gutter :D
SpoilerShow
Tempo is a bit surprised at his rather 'standard' suggestion, prompting him to explain, especially after what he pulled with the Gora Relay, and on a more personal note, they have a little discussion about the change that puts Beryl and him on opposite shifts.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

SpoilerShow
War is controlled chaos, until said controlled chaos is joined the best one can do is to predict how the enemy will want to control said chaos and try to throw a monkey wrench at their plan. My plan for the upcoming battle is the Stillstorm's fleet actually remaining a (painful) threat in being at Enedd throws a big monkey wrench into the general plan of the Stray. If Stillstorm manage's to alert the fleet at Sala-128 that she is at Enedd and is disrupting the enemy forces there then the main fleet can withdraw first to Enedd and then at Nezel in relatively good order.
Next comes defense in depth and the adoption of certain Hierarchy doctrines that the Union somehow hasn't picked up, to Jardin's surprise it would be because of politics.

Werra

Post by Werra »

SpoilerShow
novius wrote: Tempo is a bit surprised at his rather 'standard' suggestion, prompting him to explain, especially after what he pulled with the Gora Relay, and on a more personal note, they have a little discussion about the change that puts Beryl and him on opposite shifts.
While I like the idea of a shift change, that's something that might wait until Brightshield and Tempo have exhausted their options. Maybe even by Stillstorm for crew morale.

novius

Post by novius »

Just posted that little part. And, a shift change doesn't need to mean the end for these two - it makes it more difficult for them to see each other for an extended period of time. And sometimes a subtle hand would do much better than a formal reprimand for Conduct Unbecoming.

In addition, Tempo bringing him food does have a big meaning, one Alex couldn't quite fathom - yet - but we, as the readers of the "New Frontier" storyline and knowing the backgrounds of the Loroi Rites of Passage actually do.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Haven't read new frontier, so I do not know about those rituals. And whether they would apply only to dirals of that clan, that planet, or to all Loroi.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

novius wrote:Just posted that little part. And, a shift change doesn't need to mean the end for these two - it makes it more difficult for them to see each other for an extended period of time. And sometimes a subtle hand would do much better than a formal reprimand for Conduct Unbecoming.

In addition, Tempo bringing him food does have a big meaning, one Alex couldn't quite fathom - yet - but we, as the readers of the "New Frontier" storyline and knowing the backgrounds of the Loroi Rites of Passage actually do.
Quick comment, the Umiak are a low gravity species: http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/forum_umiak.html

novius

Post by novius »

dragoongfa wrote:
novius wrote:Just posted that little part. And, a shift change doesn't need to mean the end for these two - it makes it more difficult for them to see each other for an extended period of time. And sometimes a subtle hand would do much better than a formal reprimand for Conduct Unbecoming.

Quick comment, the Umiak are a low gravity species: http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/forum_umiak.html
Whoops, okay. I remembered wrong. Fixed that scene.
Last edited by novius on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Also thanks for the 'biological and societal' peculiarities angle, it was going to be a major point for one of Alex's propositions about a major shift of battle doctrine for the Loroi in order to better counter Umiak tactics. It's going to take some time to pass and the immediate objective to be fulfilled before Alex 'thinks' of it but I have it planned out and it plays out well with how you served it.

novius

Post by novius »

dragoongfa wrote:Also thanks for the 'biological and societal' peculiarities angle, it was going to be a major point for one of Alex's propositions about a major shift of battle doctrine for the Loroi in order to better counter Umiak tactics. It's going to take some time to pass and the immediate objective to be fulfilled before Alex 'thinks' of it but I have it planned out and it plays out well with how you served it.
My pleasure. :) Of course there might be lots of hurdles to put Alex's more outlandish ideas into action. Deception being an integral part of the successful Gora Relay stunt was something that Stillstorm had trouble accepting, for example, and while she might see that his unorthodox methods do yield results, it's difficult for her to swallow, nonetheless.

And she knows 'it' firsthand. Squad commanders and the upper command levels above her might even have more difficulties accepting a change in battle doctrine.

Werra

Post by Werra »

I don't think it's realistic of Stillstorm or any Loroi to expect miracles from Alexander. Dirty, underhanded tricks, yes, but nobody would be negatively surprised if Alex shows an understanding of the basics of strategy.

Before he can set doctrinal changes into motion he'll definitely has to prove himself. Right now he's the lowly newbie doing busywork.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

What I have in plan is Alex proposing something that the Loroi had already thought off doing (somewhat wrong) but didn't go through with it because of caste politics and pride. And Alex will get to prove himself somewhat from the position he is in.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I hope people won't mind me eyeballing the hard math a little in regards to the timings involved in the next part. I already got a headache...

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

You guys got about 8 in universe hours to cause some chaos on Tempest, Alex isn't required to sleep well, or much, or at all :mrgreen:

BTW, did he get a shower after his morning drills? :P

Werra

Post by Werra »

I might have an idea how to keep Alex busy and cleaned up.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Don't forget that someone also needs to get him a uniform, preferably a TCA themed armor that can render him vacuum proof for a few minutes in case of an emergency.

novius

Post by novius »

Your turn by all means - I'll lean back and break out the popcorn :)

Hmmm... I wonder if entering or leaving hyperspace is only to be done with a minimum safe distance from each other and if so, why...
Don't forget that someone also needs to get him a uniform, preferably a TCA themed armor that can render him vacuum proof for a few minutes in case of an emergency.
Stillstorm gave him leeway for himself to design one and have it fabricated, with the stipulation that its markings should not resemble Loroi rank designs?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

No warrior caste color scheme, the navy blue Scout Corps dress uniform can be seen here under proper lighting:

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider002.html

Siber

Post by Siber »

A Loroi armor uniform minimally adjusted to fit Alex and in TCA colors would be an amazing thing to see. But which pattern to use as a base?
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Werra

Post by Werra »

Alright, a new uniform and an unsoiled Alex. I'm sure he'll be dirty again soon enough.
SpoilerShow
Now we know what makes Spiral such a good wingman.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I leave the next part to whoever wants it since I have taken the battle sequences under my wing although I doubt that Loroi drink alcohol or alcohol like beverage (telepathic self control and all that). Still combat pilots finding suspicious ways to relax after a fight is natural.