Wind and Fire

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

inxsi

Re: Wind and Fire

Post by inxsi »

I'm up to date now, though I'll have to do some more thinking and skimming before I comment too much. I enjoyed it - thank you for continuing the story. I am awed that you did so much while reworking the plot.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

On the updates - I'll miss seeing Danny try to sneak into the monastery, but c'est la vie.

I liked the part of Greywind getting sucked into video games - it is a very enjoyable atmosphere. The men are maybe getting a bit out of hand with the Emperor, and I was looking forward to seeing Samus be revealed to be a woman at the end but still liked it.

I have a feeling Lodestone is going to have to keep calling Greywind to keep the Emperor on track. Though I suppose the Emperor will have to go to her island soon and be stuck doing the work she is neglecting? She can't just do everything remotely when she is on Deinar, can she? Interested in where it is going and if Greywind will realize she keeps falling for Ben.

Greywind was really traumatized by the Lion King dream :) And even with Greywind being suspicious of Ben manipulating her, she still falls for it. Listel Cotton is going to have to learn a lot about mental defenses at this rate. I'll admit I was also getting into the legend of Tempest and was wondering where it was going.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SpoilerShow
Can you spot the typo?
Snoofman wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:41 pm
Wind and Fire - Chapter 15

Stupdi! Stupid! Stupid! Greywind mentally beat herself.

Yeah, I've been avoiding reading too many fanfics in parallel on top of the two (physical) books I am reading in parallel....
Hence I'm at a backlog.

Thank you, very nice chapter of the awakening of "Mother Empress", and her sudden jolt back to being Emperor when being faced with a kid sneezing into your face.
Yes, that wind can blow away all kind of benevolent feelings.
(although it won't suppress them for long)

(Been there. On the receiving side.)

Now, to read Chapter 16.

These following two snippets are soooo real life, for us Humans at least
(and I like Empress Greywind's reasons for disliking apologies, as they are true for us Humans too):
Snoofman wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 pm
Wind and Fire - Chapter 16.1

Ben wondered if he should go back inside and say sorry.

No.

[...]

For a few moments Greywind just sat on the mattress silently with Ben. She wanted to say something, but didn’t know what. What she knew she didn’t want to say was ‘sorry’.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

inxsi wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:58 pm
On the updates - I'll miss seeing Danny try to sneak into the monastery, but c'est la vie...

... Though I suppose the Emperor will have to go to her island soon and be stuck doing the work she is neglecting? She can't just do everything remotely when she is on Deinar, can she? Interested in where it is going and if Greywind will realize she keeps falling for Ben...
I miss Danny too, but the problem I was facing was trying to work in subplots. I just want to finish this story and sharpen my writing before I get into something a little more ambitious. Plus a few commenters did not seem to like Danny.

Greywind can work remotely. And while she is armed with cutting edge gadgetry and remote devices with top notch cyber security, she likes to conduct her work within more secure facilities. Plus there are direct meetings with other loroi or ambassadors that require her physical presence.

To Krulle:
I think I found it!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SpoilerShow
Snoofman wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:02 am
“One day, Tempest’s tribe made camp by an ocean. As Tempest strode along the coast, listening to the waves rolling in and out, she heard a voice coming from the sea. The voice said, ‘We are here. We are ready.’ Curious, Tempest dove into the sea and swam deep beneath the dark depths. She swam and swam, tired but driven to find the source fo of the voice. Until finally she found a tomb built in steel and matter that no loroi had words to describe.
:)

Finally got around to catching up.

Very nice, very enjoyable.

And the head of the Loroi Union just learns how dangerous a time drain a family can be, and how much procrastination can flow from there.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Snoofman wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:45 pm
Greywind can work remotely. And while she is armed with cutting edge gadgetry and remote devices with top notch cyber security, she likes to conduct her work within more secure facilities. Plus there are direct meetings with other loroi or ambassadors that require her physical presence.
Makes sense on her working remotely with some meetings - I assumed the Loroi would pressure her more now that she is accessible (since they like the truthfulness of sanzai, though maybe less so with a former mizol).
Krulle wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:34 pm
And the head of the Loroi Union just learns how dangerous a time drain a family can be, and how much procrastination can flow from there.
Showing either the dangers of attachment or the deviousness of humans plotting to undermine the glorious Loroi Union :lol: Though that makes me wonder if the Loroi view attachments to children as having the same dangers as other relationships in their society? How is Stillstorm viewed for having shaved her head in grief over the death of her daughters?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 17

-

Grey lay in her bed crying. Her face bruised and lip bleeding. Today Loremark was supposed to come home and take Grey to the Windsurfing game. Instead Rainlash returned home with bad news.

Upon arriving at Perrein’s Space Elevator in orbit, there had been an explosion. Loremark happened to be caught inside the same chamber that was compromised. She along with dozens of other loroi were sucked into the void. An Intruder shuttle managed to recover the bodies of the deceased eventually. According to intel provided by the Space Elevator’s security detail, the attack had been carried out by a minor rebel faction originating from Taben.

Apparently some extremists claiming to represent the Loroi Axis Faction of Taben had infiltrated the Perrein Citadel and hacked into the Sentinel Archives. Most likely to extract sensitive information or corrupt data, though the Mizol Analysts were still investigating the reason for this assault. The insurgents seemed to have escaped the Citadel by blasting their way out. Even after being part of the empire for eighteen centuries, a few Tabens still had a tenacity for dissent. Then again there had always been a rivalry between Taben and Perrein.

Upon hearing the tragic news, all Grey wanted was comfort as she tearfully mourned her sister. Instead of offering some comfort for her child, Rainlash ordered Grey to retire to her room. Rainlash just wanted to be alone. Angry and rejected, Grey accused her mother of being a selfish, uncaring shit boot. And would live to regret that insult as Rainlash smacked Grey, splitting her lip. Grey was subjected to a volley of violent smacks. Rainlash refused to let up even when her hand became sore.

What made Rainlash finally stop was when Grey finally threatened, >I quit!<

>What do you mean you quit?!< Rainlash demanded as she gripped Grey firmly by the collar. Her eyes narrow and lips puckered with rage.

>I mean I quit,< Grey spat back. >I quit being a warrior. I quit being a Sentinel. I don’t want it anymore. And I don’t want to be your daughter. I wish it was you instead of Loremark.<

Anticipating another volley of even more violent smacks, Grey was simply dropped to the floor as Rainlash released her grip.

>Foolish child,< sent Rainlash. >Your sister has been killed. And you wish me dead? I have spent thousands of solons every day to tutor you. To make you the best that you can be. But you are too stubborn, too dense to take in the wisdom I try to impart. I thought you would could be a formidable mind one day, Grey.< Rainlash released her daughter. >But it seems that day will never come. If you wish to be rid of me, then so be it. You will be transferred to our relatives on Perrein. After that, you will never see me again.<

>Good,< Grey whimpered. >I hope never do.<

>Get out!<

Grey held a hand to her bruised cheek as she limped away to her room. Torpeding herself into bed, she poured out her agony into her pillow. Not even the tier’s cleaners or caretakers offered any comfort. Just passed by and resumed their duties. No one in this entire tower seemed to care about her. Maybe she would be happier on Perrein. But the loss of her sister and the brutal rejection of her mother was too much to bear.

“Hey,” someone suddenly said. “You okay?”

Grey looked up to find a male just a head shorter than her standing in her room. It took several moments for her to remember the little boy that made it a habit to enter the dreamscape with her.

>Ben,< Grey whimpered back.

The little boy was taken aback. “You know me?”

>It’s me,< Grey sniffled. >It’s Grey!<

“Grey? But you look smaller. Like me!” Ben walked over to Grey’s bed. Instinctively concerned upon seeing her tears. “Why are you crying?”

>My sister is gone,< Grey blurted amidst her sobs.

She froze as Ben suddenly took her into a big hug. “I’m sorry,” he said, his voice full of sympathy.

The little Grey was in shock. No one had ever held her like this before. Not Rainlash. Not her sisters. Even Loremark never comforted her like this. At best Loremark would heft Grey up into her strong arms every time they got the chance to see each other. But it was not common place for them to embrace.

Not caring about restrictions, little Grey swung her arms around Ben and squeezed him to her. For hundreds of solons Grey simply cried into his shoulder. As strange and confusing as this was for Ben, it felt wrong just to let Grey be sad here.

Releasing Grey from their hug, Ben looked her straight into her blue eyes. “Come on,” he said.

>Where are we going?< Grey asked as she was tugged off the bed by the arms.

“Anywhere but here,” Ben said.

Grey expected to see the tier’s main hall as the door slid open. Instead the two found escape.

-

The two toddlers went on incredible adventures. They went sailing in the sky, surrounded by a swarm of nasty needlers that tore the sail of their ship, forcing them to plummet into an ocean. They swam with sea furies from the ancient loroi legends that led them through the depths. Within a flash, they escaped from the sea and entered a dense, green forest where they were greeted by giant elephant that hoisted them onto its back with its trunk. The elephant bore them across a railroad track, destination unknown. Even as she assumed the role of her young self, Grey knew all this fantastic imagery was just an illusion within the dreamscape. Yet she loved every moment of it. She loved being with Ben.

The railroad tracks led them into a darker forest with bioluminescent undergrowth and massive fungal canopies that blocked out the sun. Though reliving her early life in the dreamscape blocked most of her memories, little Grey could guess that this was a Perrein forest. The same forest where she spent her diral trial. Upon realizing where she was, little Grey grew back into her teenage self.

Upon noticing something was different, Ben looked back at his friend. “Wow, Grey,” he exclaimed. “You’re big again.”

>I guess I am,< Grey said with a grin. >Let’s hop off this beast.<

Lowering them to the ground with its long trunk, the elephant left the pair as it trudged off into the darkness of the Perrein dreamscape. Ben and Grey just sat down amidst the glowing mushroom caps and shining ferns.

Ben playfully tapped a bioluminescent mushroom cap, making it dim momentarily before shining full teal again. ”Cool,” he said smiling, tapping another mushroom cap. “Check out all the glowy stuff. Isn’t it neat?”

Grey shrugged, her knees folded into her chest. >I guess.<

“I wish Mom could see this,” Ben thought sadly.

It was so frustrating to Grey that Ben eagerly wanted to find his mother and yet would not relive his final memory of her. What sort of trauma did he go through to make him so afraid to go back to that moment.

>Ben,< Grey sent. >What happened on that ship with the Delrias?<

Ben looked away, his mood turning gloomy upon hearing that.

Grey sighed. >I… understand that you don’t like to talk about it. But something bad happened, didn’t it?<

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Ben said, refusing to look Grey in the eye.

Grey knew she had to be cautious for fear of making Ben flee the dreamscape. >Ben… I can’t imagine what you’re feeling. Like literally. I can only catch glimpses of your thoughts and feelings when you speak. But I know that… you seem scared. And alone. But you’re not alone. And it’s alright if you’re scared. But if you let what scares you to control you… that’s just wrong. It’s even worse if you run away from it.<

Ben did not meet Grey’s gaze, but he showed no signs of running away. “I wish I was like you.”

That was a surprise thing to hear. >Me?< Grey asked.

This time Ben met her gaze as he said, “You’re so brave.”

Grey looked down shamefully, feeling unworthy of such praise. >I try to be.<

“Do you ever get scared?”

Grey shrugged. >Sometimes.<

“Then… how do you not be scared?”

>I think it's more complicated than that, Ben. But… when I’m scared… I was taught to face what scared me. And no matter how much it hurts, no matter how frightening, if you face it and live… it only makes you stronger. That is, at least, how I get brave. Ben, you don’t have to talk about what happened to your mother if you don’ want to. But I want to help you. Only if you try to be brave… brave for yourself. Brave for me. Because if you can’t face what scares you, you will never make it in this world.<

Ben was silent a moment as he processed what Grey was telling him. More than anything, he wanted to be brave and strong like Grey. Like the Emperor. Like Cotton, Tempo, Link and all the brave loroi that protected him. Cared for him. He was still frightened of his past, but…

Ben sniffled as he tried to muster his strength. “I’m tired of being scared,” he said as bravely as a five year old human could, standing to his feet. “I’ll try.”

Grey stood and took Ben into her arms and sent, >Then let’s face it together.<

The Perrein forest faded away.

-

Once again, Grey was thrust into Ben’s past as he stood together with the rest of the huddled children aboard Lagertha’s ship. That same moment when the humans were conducting their trade with the Delrias.

The Delrias of Rubon stepped forward. Lagertha did likewise until they were within a few paces of each other. They exchanged words too incomprehensible for Ben to understand, and therefore impossible for Grey to deduce. Lagertha and the Delrias eventually entered their heated exchange when the Delrias drew their weapons. The humans, in turn, went on the defensive as they placed themselves firmly between the Delrias and the children with guns drawn.

Ben whimpered as he relived the memory. The surroundings glitched ever so slightly as Ben wanted to flee from the traumatic event that was sure to come.

>Be strong, Ben,< Grey sent. >We can do this together.<

Ben struggled to stay strong as he let the memory play out.

Grey anticipated the Delrias to stab the humans in the back and shoot Lagertha and the rest on spot. But the leader of the Delrias did something unexpected. It spoke aggressively with Lagertha, as if making a point. Even with her hand kept firmly on her pistol, Lagertha seemed to soak in what the Delrias was conveying.

“Mommy?” Ben asked from within the memory. “What’s going on?”

“Ben, be quiet!” Lagertha hollered back. She exchanged a few more words with the Delrias. Ben understood absolutely nothing up until the last sentence, “Alright then. But we expect full payment on our next meeting.”

“And she will deliver,” said the Delrias. “Now do we have a deal?”

Lagertha nodded, her hand slipping away from the pistol in her holster. “Deal.”

The other Delrias lowered their weapons. Lagertha motioned to her fellow humans who shoved the children forward. Including a frightened and confused Ben.

Greywind thought equally confused: What are they doing?

“Mom,” said a scared Ben. “What’s going on?”

“You have to go with the aliens, Ben,” Lagertha said as Ben was pushed past her by an adult human.

“The aliens?” Ben’s voice went from scared to horrified. “Are-are they taking us to Earth?”

“Sweetie, I promise everything is going to be alright,” Lagertha said in an unusually calm tone.

Even though Ben did not seem to understand what was happening, Grey understood as she came to a horrifying realization. The Delrias were not simply buying the ore mine from the humans. They were buying the children.

Ben unleashed a terror-struck scream as one of the Delrias clutched the boy in its claws and hefted Ben over its shoulder. Ben kicked and screamed, “LET ME GO! MOMMY! HELP!”

“You have to go with them, Ben,” Lagertha said to calm him. “Don’t fight! I promise you’re going to be okay.”

>YOU SELFISH PISS ARTIST!< Grey sent viciously to Lagertha. >LIAR! SHIT EATING MONSTER! FLESH DEALER! YOU’RE JUST GOING TO LET THEM TAKE YOUR SON?!<

Ben screamed one last time as the Delrias took him and the rest of the human children away, “MOMMY! PLEASE!”

>I’M COMING, BEN!< Grey called out as she ran to save him. >I WON’T LET THEM TAKE YOU!<

Even as she reached for him, the dreamscape crumbled. Ben slipped away into darkness. And Grey fell. She fell and fell forever through a void all the while calling out, >BEN!<

How could she? How could Lagertha sell her own child for a box of gold? It had all been a lie. The stories of Earth and the promise that Ben would see it one day. The chance at a better life. It was all a selfish, vicious lie to pacify Ben until Lagertha was ready to seal a deal. And now Grey’s horror was replaced by a vicious anger. Just the thought of that human female made her burn with rage. If Grey could, she would hurt Lagertha. She would kill her. Lagertha did not deserve to be a mother. Did not deserve Ben.

>I’LL KILL YOU, LAGERTHA! KILL! KILL!<

The raging hatred Grey felt made her burn up inside.

Burn!

Burn!

Burn!

Everything around Grey was suddenly burning.

Fire and darkness!

Suddenly Grey was surrounded by flames, smoke and heat. Fungal trees burnt. Mushroom caps exploded as they boiled and popped. Bioluminescent ferns withered to ember particles as the flames spread. Burning bits of the massive, forest canopy came crashing down. And all around her, Grey could hear screams. The voices of her comrades in the Perrein woods crying and screaming for help. Other loroi trying to guide the petrified souls through the burning woods. And at the head of the group was Greenscale, grinning amidst the blazing chaos as if it were an amusement.

-

The intensity and heat of the nightmare forced Greywind to shoot up with a gasp. Greywind wiped her sweaty brow. The old Emperor breathed heavily, trying to calm down.

Her focus was drawn by sniffling from the other side of the room. Ben huddled in a corner, weeping, terrified. Greywind climbed off the bed as she strode over to him. Ben shrivelled up as he hugged his knees, burying his weeping eyes into his forearms.

“Mommy,” he whimpered amidst tears. “Mommy, where are you?”

“Ben?” Greywind said as she crouched down to his level.

The frightened child looked up, his eyes red strained and cheeks stained from the waterfalls he shed. “Emperor,” he cried. Forgetting about their rules, Ben dove into her chest and clutched her close. “Where’s Mom? Why did she leave?”

“Ben,” Greywind uttered. “I… I don’t understand.” That was a lie. She seemed to understand what she saw but could not say it.

The door to the room slid open and the lights went up as Tempo, Cotton and Link entered, concerned as well as confused as to the commotion and distress coming from the room.

“Ben,” Cotton said pitifully as she crouched down beside him. “It’s alright, Ben. You have nothing to fear.”

Even as Cotton comfortingly stroked his back, Ben refused to let go of Greywind.

>Emperor, are you alright?< Link sent with concern.

Greywind gave no answer as she held the whimpering boy.
Last edited by Snoofman on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

This Lagertha seems to be one cold bastard of a space pirate. No wonder that Ben suppressed this particular memory.

But a Tabenid terrorist attack on civilian infrastructure is too much of a stretch, to be honest. A bomb far too unspecific about its victims and carries the chance of harming males. Also, why would there even be any Taben rebels in the first place, and what purpose should such an act serve? I'd rather expect some aliens to be behind such actions, like the Mannadi, for example.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Cthulhu wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 pm
This Lagertha seems to be one cold bastard of a space pirate. No wonder that Ben suppressed this particular memory.

But a Tabenid terrorist attack on civilian infrastructure is too much of a stretch, to be honest. A bomb far too unspecific about its victims and carries the chance of harming males. Also, why would there even be any Taben rebels in the first place, and what purpose should such an act serve? I'd rather expect some aliens to be behind such actions, like the Mannadi, for example.
I meant to convey that the attack was carried out by a minor group. Also remember that even before meeting aliens the loroi have often fought amongst themselves. And if I'm not mistaken some of the Taben loroi have not been the most agreeable of the Sister Worlds within the Union and formed rebel factions opposing the Empire. Who is to say that the Union loroi don't put down minor insurrections among even their own peoples from time to time?

Although if more commenters don't agree, I might change it.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I think it works fine, Jim Francis himself has gone to great lengths to show that the Loroi are not a monoculture society perfectly at peace with each other. Furthermore, not every action or occurrence in a fictional work has great meaning or depth; sometimes a thing happens and the cigar is just a cigar that furthers the narrative and gives motivation to characters. If care is taken not to use it to excess it works fine.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I just think that the Loroi are too straightforward in their honor for such acts. Furthermore, this attack is not targeted at all, and it serves no particular purpose, except to kill random Loroi. That's something a disgruntled alien race that lost a war would do.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Wow, Greywind had a harsh childhood - I guess at least Rainlash did not blame her for Loremark's death.

I liked the dream sequence and there being a lighter break between the heaviness of Loremark's death and then dealing with Ben's memory of Lagertha.

I'm thinking Greywind misinterpreted some of what happened between Lagertha and the Delrias - I guess I will see or not if we ever encounter Lagertha. And is disturbingly overprotective of Ben - especially if the dream of burning her friends is a message.

I do not really have an issue with the bombing. I assume the group was either cruel enough to not care who they killed or were confident in the precautions they took (checking arrival schedules, having someone observe arrivals who could trigger the bomb, or other means) that they deemed the risks acceptable. And I'm not sure that Taben rebels would view Loroi civilians on another planet the same as they would Loroi civilians on Taben, and such views were hardly universal among the Loroi historically. Or maybe they screwed up and it was supposed to target an empty car as a demonstration of what they could do in the future.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Something tells me that both the Delrias in question, as well as Lagertha's band of fucked up pirates, will find themselves with they were dead, if they aren't already.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Also, I forgot to compliment the foreshadowing you had across this story Snoofman, it made what happened almost certainly clear, but the story still progressed without explicitly giving it away until now. Very difficult to do, hats off to you.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Author's note: Sorry for the delay in posting. Work has been draining to say the least. When you're exhausted, you don't have the energy to plan or write. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of writing without sacrificing my immersion in the real world, which is essential to any man's sanity. Or at the very least keeping in touch with reality and the people in it. :D Anyway, here is the next chapter. There was more action I would have liked to include, but I want to wrap up this story so that I can get on with future projects. A few more chapters are on the way! Once again, thank you and I hope you enjoy.

-

Wind and Fire - Chapter 18

-

War is about waiting. And striking at the best moment. Torrai Ironforge learnt the wisdom of this strategy the hard way when she was fighting against Shells within the Emperor’s personal squadron on the Seren fronts. More often than not, the Emperor’s fleet would orbit Seren in anticipation of the next Shell attack. And wait. Wait until the next wave of Umiak vessels poured into system. Sometimes one at a time as they made a run for their next jump point. Sometimes in great clusters that intended to overwhelm the solar system. All the while the loroi would just sit and wait aboard their ships until the Commanders relayed their instructions. One of the most formidable forms of countering invasion was fortification. While there were many reasons as to why the Umiak easily overran the frontier colonies along Steppes Territories, one of the biggest reasons was the Union’s expansion. During the Union’s peaceful expansionist era, fleets were stretched thin and resources were being devoted to building productive infrastructure rather than more naval vessels. Because of this lax attitude the Diadem and ruling Alien Assembly had at the time, the frontier worlds of the Steppes were not prepared to deflect the onslaught of Umiak hordes that lay siege. When Seren, and a few other colony worlds, had been recovered by the loroi, the Emperor set to work to fortify Seren’s defences as her base of operations. Hundreds of ships were constructed with the intent of deflecting any conceivable form of invasion or second attempt to seize Seren. Many of said Union ships were even built without FTL drives and designed to endure punishment rather than the typical FTL-ships built for hit-and-run attacks. Hence why the Emperor’s personal squadron were able to hold Seren and halt any advancement from the Umiak in that system.

And for most of the Charred Steppes campaign, that became Ironforge’s daily routine; maintain her ship, discipline the crew, watch the scanners and wait. Now she was waiting again. Except this time her ship and Bluestreak’s were waiting within a proplyd cloud at a star system on the borders of Minzan sector. These were the approximate coordinates that Hablos arranged to meet a band of Terran Raiders. And that pathological Operative, Livewire, was currently aboard Hablos’ ship, Golden Wings, anticipating the human pirates’ arrival. Ironforge’s and Bluestreak’s ships hid within the dust disk while Livewire commandeered Golden Wings along with a boarding party. The Operative came forward with a plan: once the pirates jumped in system and lowered their guard to allow the Delrias to board their vessel, the loroi would strike by incapacitating the human ship and taking the humans alive. As much as Ironforge loathed Livewire, she had to admit that the lucrative Operative was crafty.

From their concealed location, Ironforge watched on the bridge’s monitor as Golden Wings’ umbilical latched onto the unsuspecting raider ship. While the Operatives and boarding party were too far away for the Torrai to sense what was happening, the fact that the raider ship did not jump away was a good sign that Livewire and the boarding party were in the process of subduing the humans.

>The psychotic Operative has got skill,< a Listel sitting at Tactical Analysis commented as she observed the operation unfold.

Ironforge shot the Listel a dead-serious look. >That is most unprofessional, Listel,< she shot.

The Listel lowered her head shamefully and apologised, >Yes, Torrai.<

Ironforge shrugged. >But good observation.<

A transmission came in. The image of Livewire aboard the Raider ship came on.

“The primates have been apprehended,” Livewire boasted confidently. “Though we did have to put a few down. Behold my exploits.”

Livewire turned the angle of her commlink’s video feed to show numerous human raiders now being held under by the Teidars and Operatives while the Soroin troopers bound them.

"Eighty-one humans detained." The feed swung down to three bodies lying still on the ship's floor. "With minimal casualties."

That gave Ironforge cause to fret as she demanded to know, “What about the human the Emperor sent us to detain?”

“At ease, Torrai,” said Livewire, swinging her comm toward a blonde-haired female, glaring into the feed. “We have her right here. Alive and unspoiled. And you're not going to believe what we also found.” The video feed swung around to another group of nine little humans huddled together. They eyed the loroi boarders with tearful eyes.

"Are those children?!" Ironforge asked shocked.

"Seems so," said Livewire.

Ironforge sighed. “Copy that! Prepare the captives for transport back to-”

>Alert!< one of Ironforge’s Sensor Analysts sent. >New entry signature detected!<

Ironforge ordered a close-up on the holographic display. The Sensor Analyst brought up an enhanced zoom-in of the new ship that had just jumped in system outside the dust disk. It appeared to be a corvette of some kind with a sleek-black surface. Ironforge knew that no other ships were supposed to be following them. And the fact that it was heading straight for them convinced Ironforge that whoever was flying that ship must have been involved with the Delrias they apprehended.

>Target that new ship but do no fire unless I give the command,< she sent to her fire control officers. >Open up a channel with them!<

The Intel Officer began transmitting and gave Ironforge the go-ahead.

“Unidentified vessel,” Ironforge spoke over the channel. “You are ordered to stand down immediately and prepare to be boarded. You have ten solons to comply.”

The unknown corvette just kept making its approach toward Golden Wings and the Terran ship.

Ironforge tried again, “Unidentified vessel, I repeat! You must stop now and prepare to be boarded. If you do not comply we will use deadly force. This is your last war-”

The Torrai never got to finish that sentence as her muscles suddenly tensed and Ironforge fell back against the floor. Ironforge’s second officer rushed out of her chair, though did not touch her for fear of causing further harm. Two more guards rushed to the Torrai’s side and watched helplessly as Ironforge went into an epileptic seizure.

Ring!

The loroi on the bridge winced painfully as something akin to a high-pitched screech tore through their psyches. They clutched their heads, futilely trying to block out the shriek that felt as if it would split the brain in two.

-

Aboard the subdued Raider ship, Livewire, her Operatives and the Teidars barely managed to block out the sudden, telepathic screech. The brain-piercing siss made the Soroins clutch their helmets in agony. Try as they might, they did not have the telepathic strength to shut out this mind-splitting burst. The captive humans watched dumbfounded as their captors stumbled and clutched their aching heads, unaffected by the shrieking.

One of the bound humans blurted, “What the actual hell is happening?”

Who was doing this? How were they doing it?

Livewire could have guessed as a new presence entered her range of sanzai. >Hello there,< the new presence sent casually. It was coming from another ship outside that honed in on their position.

Livewire stubbornly pressed back, >Get out of my head!< She telepathically rammed against this unknown assailant. >You have no idea who you are-<

The Operative was jolted as her assailant struck back. Livewire felt like her nerves were contracting as the assailant momentarily pierced her way into the Operative’s mind. Livewire fought back as she reaffirmed her mental defences, pushing back against whoever was trying to intrude.

>Well, you’re a strong one,< the assailant sent with amusement. >But not quite strong enough.<

>Who are you?< Livewire demanded.

>You don’t know me?<

Livewire was in for a shock as she realised whom she was exchanging with. >You’re her! The one the Emperor hunts!<

>I am,< the assailant stated simply.

>Operatives! Teidars! Push back together,< Livewire ordered her comrades. >We can subdue-<

The telepathic ringing grew louder, making the Soroins collapse as they writher in agony, unable to stop the screeching that drowned their minds. The Operatives and Teidars fought harder to block out the shriek.

The assailant warned, >Do not even try it, Operative! I can turn their brains to mush.<

>Stop!< Livewire snarled. >Do you have any idea who you are messing with?!<

>Don't know. Don't care. All I want are those humans.<

>The humans?!< Livewire sent incredulously. >What do you want with them?<

>Wouldn’t you like to know?< the assailant retorted. >I can end you all just by thinking about it. But I’m a generous loroi. Just give me what I want… and I’ll go away.<

>Try and take what we have, < Livewire countered, hardening her mental barrier. >We have plenty more Teidars and Mizols on our ships that can easily overpower you once they get within range.<

>By the time they are within range to challenge me, I will have ended half your crew members,< the assailant laughed.

>End us? I can block you out all day!<

>You might. They won’t. I doubt your Emperor will be pleased when she finds two ships worth of loroi returning as deaf mutes. Assuming their brains haven’t popped in the process. Now are you going to give me what I want? Or would you like to watch as I make your crew members go into epileptic seizures? Including that Torrai who I have under my thumb.<

Livewire groaned as she struggled to block out the screeching. How could she give up the humans she was sent to apprehend? Greywind would not be pleased to learn that she lost Lagertha. And while Livewire would have considered it an unfortunate but acceptable loss, Greywind would not accept the death of her Torrais.

The Operative relented, >Fine then. The humans are yours.<

-

The loroi aboard Blaze and Curved Knife could do nothing but watch as Golden Wings broke away from the Raider ship, presumably with Livewire and the boarding party. The Delrias craft made its way back toward the Union ships. The intruding corvette latched onto the Raider ship, no doubt to ferry the humans away. All the while the loroi could do nothing to act as their commander Ironforge lay paralysed from the mental assault.

>No surprises now,< the assailant telepathically broadcasted from the corvette. Amazing how far he sanzai reached. >Your lives are in my hands.<

As infuriating as it was to just stand by and watch the corvette claim their prize, the Union loroi could not risk the life of their commanding officer or comrades. Within moments, the corvette broke away from the Terran vessel. No doubt with the lotai-concealed raiders and human children on board.

>Thank you for your cooperation,< the assailant sent with bitter-sweetness before adding, >Bootlickers!<

The corvette spun away from the Union ships and within a few solons flashed out of existence. The assailant’s presence disappeared along with it.

Ironforge’s muscles untensed as whoever’s grip on her nerves vanished. Her subordinates asked if she required any assistance, but she needed none as she stood back up.

>Unidentified vessel has jumped away,< the Sensor Analyst reported from her station. >Golden Wings is returning.<

Ironforge verbally cursed as she smashed the edge of her command post, “Shred!”

The Emperor was not going to be pleased.
Last edited by Snoofman on Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Uhm, for a mere ganger to obtain such super-tech that can not only exert so much psionic influence over those distances, but be also precise enough to target individuals without killing them? I don't think that's even remotely possible, unless they have found some yet unknown Soia artifact.
However, if that is true, then it's utterly stupid to display this so openly and then leave any witnesses alive. The Union will mobilize everything to obtain whatever it may be, and no criminal organization can hope to survive this onslaught.
SpoilerShow
And if that device is powered by weaponized human children, then a third xenocide is imminent.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I don't think it's tech, I think it's a weaponized farseer?
#1 Tempo simp

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:11 pm
Uhm, for a mere ganger to obtain such super-tech that can not only exert so much psionic influence over those distances, but be also precise enough to target individuals without killing them? I don't think that's even remotely possible, unless they have found some yet unknown Soia artifact.
However, if that is true, then it's utterly stupid to display this so openly and then leave any witnesses alive. The Union will mobilize everything to obtain whatever it may be, and no criminal organization can hope to survive this onslaught.
SpoilerShow
And if that device is powered by weaponized human children, then a third xenocide is imminent.
Fair point, but further explanation will be provided in coming chapters. Don't want to spoil anything just yet!

On the note of the Union mobilising everything they got against gangers, I believe in forum lore that the criminal element in Outsider-verse is small within the Union, and yet it has still found ways to flourish and elude capture. And don't forget that the gangers are always on the run. As powerful as the Union and Imperials are, that does not make them omnipotent or invincible. If that were the case, they would have eliminated the criminal element completely long ago. And would have won the Great War sooner.

Also, it would actually be wiser to just up and leave instead of massacring your captives. After all, massacring two, no three, ships worth of loroi would not only stain one's reputation. It would give the Union authorities only more reason to crack down on you. The gangers may be dangerous, but they are clever and can be tactful when it is no inconvenience. They have to be.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Criminals usually survive by staying under the radar, which means not overstepping certain bounds. If they do, they may have to face airstrikes, not police raids.
Here, the gangers went beyond mere smuggling or trafficking, and jumped straight into the realm of (psionic) WMDs. No government can ignore such a threat, and the Union will mobilize forces that are an order of magnitude more serious than the usual police. Especially if said WMD is of a yet unknown type.
Well, let's see how the story unfolds, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Sorry for the long delay. Work has been draining to say the least. Now I'm back and hopefully can get the last few chapters up soon and draw this story to a close. Never intended for the story to draw out this long, but I guess that's part of the creative process. You can't rush it along without risking inconsistencies or unrealistic character development.

Chapter 19

-

The rays of morning shone through Greywind’s window. The old Emperor tiredly shifted, her right arm obstructed by weight. Ben was nuzzled up beside her, his tiny head resting on her bicep. Her left arm wrapped around his small frame. After awakening from his nightmare, Ben refused to let go of Greywind. When Cotton tried to coax Ben away from the Emperor, Ben simply buried himself deeper into Greywind.

“Please don’t go,” he tearfully begged the old Emperor. “Don’t go. Don’t go.”

Greywind commanded the loroi back to their rooms and took Ben back to her bed. Within a few hundred solons, Ben stopped crying and fell back asleep in Greywind’s arms.

It was time to get up. But once again, Greywind just lied there with Ben, admiring the little human.

I wonder if he’ll have forgotten the rule of ‘no touching’ as soon as he wakes up, she thought. She would have to remind him.

Instinctively, Greywind’s left fingers tips traced along Ben’s spine, feeling the slight bulges of his vertebral joints until her five digits arrived at the base of his neck. Upon realizing she felt an urge to feel his hair, the old Emperor stopped herself. Why was she doing this? Greywind was aware that something had changed in her. The way she treated Ben. Seemed to dote over him. This was not behavior typical of a loroi. An attentive caregiver for loroi males or loroi children perhaps. But not for the Fourth Emperor.

What is wrong with me? thought Greywind.

Upon discovering she could link with Ben in the dreamscape, the old Emperor had concerns that Ben might in some way affect her. Although that seemed quite ridiculous. Even if Ben was secretly telepathic and could affect Greywind’s dreams and her state of mind, what could he possibly do? He was not a Mizol. On top of that, Mizols could at best hypnotise aliens and even some loroi into a docile state; compel them to overlook details or bury their memories deep inside. But ultimately loroi could not completely control others. As soon as the Mizol’s spell was broken, their subject was free from their telepathic suppression. So even if Ben could somehow influence Greywind’s state of mind, she would have realized it by now. Then again there was still so much about the human psyche that remained a mystery to the loroi. No thanks to their damnable lotai.

But Greywind was convinced by this point that whatever she was feeling was not the result of telepathic manipulation. These feelings came undoubtedly from Greywind herself. But why? Greywind had cared about a few individuals in her life. But never formed attachments. There was one moment in her life when she briefly formed an attachment to a loroi male that she had grown quite fond of at the age of thirty. But in hindsight that was motivated in part by a desire to act out her defiance to Rainlash, whom she still loathed but begrudgingly obeyed following her trials. Then there was Loremark, her beloved sister whom she cherished before being ripped away.

Attachment was not forbidden or even illegal. But it was greatly discouraged. At least among the warrior castes. Attachment stood in the way of duty. Distracted loroi from embracing their pivotal roles that drove the Union. Warriors may have been the ruling class of the empire but they were also its most selfless servants. The ones who made the most personal sacrifices so its other citizens could rest easy, knowing they were protected.

And therein lied the problem. After much self-analyzation, Greywind was certain she had bonded with this little human. It was not driven by a desire to possess a mate. Nor was it an ulterior motive to gain his trust and seize tactical information. The only tactical value Ben seemed to have was the breech in his lotai and the possibility of learning the inner workings of the human psyche.

Well, I do feel… better… when he is close to me, thought Greywind. And it was true. Greywind had not been encouraged to seek out comfort from others. And not to allow emotions to override her tactical and strategic intelligence. She could not afford to seek comfort. She didn’t need comfort. She needed to be the Union’s emperor. And emperors had to be strong.

“Ben,” she whispered gently. “Wake up.”

Ben groaned and shifted. Within a minute he was groggily awake.

“How are you feeling, Ben?”

“I’m okay,” said Ben, groggily rubbing his eyes.

“No more bad dreams?”

Ben silently shook his head as he slowly sat up.

Though Greywind did not look it, she said, “I am glad.”

Ben hugged the Emperor, resting against her chest.

Greywind sighed. When she held Ben, Greywind genuinely felt comfort and relief. It felt… good. And that good feeling was only that. A pleasant sensation. They made people feel better, or distracted them from their pains and distress. But that was all they were; pleasant distractions. The Emperor had to put a stop to this, before she went in too deep.

Gently pushing Ben away by the shoulder, Greywind reminded him, “Remember our rules, Ben.”

-

After packing their possessions, the loroi and their human ward left the guest villa and made for their vehicles. It was time to head for Ginazaigo. Ben was sad to say farewell to the many menfolk and friends he made at the Monastery. But they all assured him that they would see him again one day. Ben made each of them promise with an oath-keeping ritual he called a ‘pinky promise’. A strange ritual to the loroi, but the menfolk happily obliged. Mason bid farewell by hefting a joy-squealing Ben into the air, much to the concern of the caregivers.

But the male who received most of Ben’s affection was Fertile Spring. As strange as it was for Spring, Ben encircled him in a tight hug. Cotton had to intervene to ease Ben’s embrace. But Spring awkwardly returned the gesture. Outside of copulation or moments of extreme intimacy, males did not typically touch. But Spring had to admit there was something nice about embracing a human.

As Ben was led away by Cotton to the hover cars, Fertile Spring took the moment to bid farewell to his great, great grandmother.

>I am so happy to have seen you again, my elder,< sent Spring.

>As am I, Fertile Spring,< Greywind sent back.

>Before you go, I have a gift for you.< Spring presented a box to the Emperor.

Curiously Greywind opened the lid, revealing several colourful booklets inside. The first cover which struck out the most was that of a familiar caped super warrior with his fists outstretched. As if he were defying the laws of gravity in midair dressed in his crimson cape and blue jumpsuit.

>What is this?< asked Greywind.

>Colourful booklets I found at the Alien Shops in Toridas,< sent Spring. >The shop owners call them comic books.<

Greywind sighed. >That is a nice gesture, Spring. But I’m afraid I don’t have the time or interest to indulge in humanity fiction.<

>It is meant for you and Ben. To strengthen your bond.<

The old Emperor raised a curious eyebrow. >What makes you think there’s a bond between us?<

Spring offered a smug grin. >Intuition.<

Placing the lid back, Greywind accepted the gift. It would have been rude to refuse them. >Farewell, Spring. And take care.<

>Goodbye, Emperor. And good luck finding Lagertha.<

Offering no further comment, Greywind turned heel and proceeded to her hover car.

Ben would not stop waving goodbye to the menfolk as he was escorted away with the Emperor. Not even when the hover cars left the Monastery behind. Ben, Cotton, Drill and Hailstorm travelled in a separate vehicle while Greywind conducted her bureaucratic business remotely from her hover car. Tempo reviewed Greywind’s appointments.

>Torrai Rizeladi Rubyglass has accepted your invitation,< sent Tempo, reviewing her holographic monitor. >She has agreed to meet with you at the Roio Stadium in five days.<

>Excellent,< sent Greywind. She may have opposed Rubyglass’ earlier proposal at the Imperial Palace, but Greywind had other plans in mind for her.

>I have also sent an alert to the Oirel Lodestone, your Diaderets and the Ambassadors. Oh, and Ambassador Famiris has just arrived on Deinar. How opportune.< Famiris was a newly appointed Arekka Ambassador appointed by the Arekka capital of Aliris. >They will be joining us at your personal shuttle.< Tempo turned away from her monitor momentarily. >Emperor, are you sure it is a good idea to bring along the alien ambassadors.<

>Excluding them will seem conspicuous. I have to keep them close to pacify the Alien Assembly. That was the compromise we made following the war. Besides, do you really think they can spy on our private conversations?<

Tempo pursed her lips thoughtfully. >Fair enough.<

Greywind coughed. >Link, some water!<

Link, who just happened to be overhearing the two’s conversation, passed a bottle from the car’s compartment to her Emperor.

>Emperor,< sent Tempo, receiving another message on her monitor. >Our team of Gallens are inbound to Ginazaigo with the supplies you requested.<

Greywind took a sip of water. >Excellent. I want them to commence their installations.<

>Are you sure you want to start before the Council approves?<

>Once I reveal my plans, Tempo, I’m sure they will comply.<

Tempo shrugged. >If that is your wish. Though the creche of the island are not likely to respond well to the disruption we are about to bring.<

>That creche houses dozens of my kin’s children. A little noise and reconstruction is bearable. Besides, soon they will have a newcomer to keep them distracted.<

-

After leaving behind the Monastery and menfolk, Ben and his loroi guardians proceeded back into Toridas until they came to a large hangar bay. As young as he was, even Ben knew what a hangar was. He and his friends had sometimes played in the hangar at Grind’s colony. Much to the annoyance of the adults who would scream at them, “Get the hell outta’ here!”

Taking off in the Emperor’s personal shuttle, Sojourner, was bizarrely exhilarating for Ben. His face stayed glued to his window as he watched the shuttle ascend and zoom away toward what Ben assumed would be his new home. For hundreds of solons, he kept gazing at the ocean rolling by beneath them. But after growing bored of seeing the same waves, slumped back into his seat.

Ben already missed Fertile Spring. He missed all the men of the Monastery that had shown him so much fun and kindness. Saying goodbye was hard. Even harder to be separated if he did not know when he would see them again.

Just like the way it was hard to be taken away by the Delrias. Taken away from Lagertha. Ben still could not understand why his mother had just stood by and let the Delrias take him and his young friends that day. When he and the children were stuffed away in that awful room of the alien ship, all Ben could do was cry, asking himself why his mother had just let him go. Would she come back for him? Was she coming back at all? She always came back from her trips. She promised every time she left. So why did she not promise to come back for him when the Delrias took him away?

Did Lagertha simply not love Ben anymore? Did she not want him? But that couldn’t be true. Why would she have taken care of him then? Or gotten him the few gifts she happened upon every time she returned to Grind?

Ben wondered in his slump: Mom, why did you leave me? Why didn’t you say you’d come back?

“Ben,” Cotton broke Ben out of his deep thoughts as she offered him a sweet cake. She had been sitting by his side during the flight. “Here! Have some.”

“I’m not hungry,” Ben mumbled.

“But you love sweet food,” Cotton gently coaxed him.

Ben just lowered his gaze to his Superman, spinning it around.

Cotton wondered if his bad dream from the night before had something to do with his downed mood. “Ben, are you feeling well?”

Ben gave no answer.

“Is there something bothering you? Would you like to talk about it?”

Silence.

Cotton could not help but pity him. He was so fragile and scared. It hurt her to have to see him so sad. “I understand if you are not comfortable talking about it. But… it is not healthy to not talk about our problems. If you change your mind, I will be here to listen.”

“Cotton?”

The Listel perked up. “Yes, Ben?” Perhaps he was ready to-

“I need to poop.”

Cotton sighed. “Of course, Ben. Here, let me assist you.”

“I can do it myself,” Ben said simply. Knowing where the lavatory was, he hopped off his seat and marched to the aft of the shuttle, avoiding stepping on any long trails of hair from the superior loroi officers either seated or standing in the the shuttle's lounge. He paid no mind to the curious or suspicious glances he got from the loroi or the alien ambassadors.

Greywind was silently enjoying some tea in her corner of the shuttle's lounge. Every now and then her gaze wandered to Ben and Cotton. Particularly to Ben. The Councilors regarded the little human like the way one might regard a stray. A few cast a suspicious glance in Cotton's direction occasionally. The only reason why they were not subjugating her to an inquiry was because they understood the Listel was under the Emperor’s protection. As was Ben. Their distrust of Cotton and Ben did not stem from jealousy so much as an infuriating need to know what Greywind was up to.

The old Emperor noticed Ben's downed mood, but thought it best to let Ben’s negative feelings burn themselves out. Yet that nagging feeling returned. The same she felt when Ben was in distress following his injury from the needlers. If Ben needed comfort, he could seek it from Cotton. Besides, Greywind had already resolved not to get attached. Yet even when Ben returned to his seat and seemed content to just sit in glum silence, Greywind could not shake the nagging feeling.

Don’t get distracted, Greywind told herself. Don’t get attached!

But no matter how many times she told herself that, Greywind kept glancing over at Ben. Shred it, she thought.

Greywind sent Attendant Link to Ben's spot.

“Ben,” Link whispered as she crouched close to him. “The Emperor… wants to show you… something.”

Ben’s glum attitude lightened, now mingled with a bit of curiosity. “What?”

Link grinned. “Come.”

Hopping off his chair, Ben followed Link to the Emperor's corner of the lounge. Cotton made to follow.

>Your services are not required for the moment, Listel Cotton,< sent Link. >You may relax and enjoy the flight.<

Though taken aback, Cotton remained seated.

Walking up to the Emperor’s lounge chair, Ben asked with hands behind his back. “Hey, Emperor. Mm? What’s up?”

Looking up briefly, Greywind said, “The ceiling. And some lights. Why?”

“No, I mean… what is up?”

“I just told you, Ben.”

Ben shook his head. “I mean… do… you want to show me something?”

“Why not just say so then?”

“I did.”

The old Emperor sighed. “Please just sit.”

Climbing up onto the seat, Ben plopped himself beside Greywind. Link presented the box containing the booklets. Ben gasped as he recognised some of his favorite superheroes on the covers.

“You have comic books?” he asked.

Greywind nodded. “They were given to me as a gift. But I do not really understand what they are about? Perhaps you would be so kind and tell me who these… people on the covers are.”

Ben was touched that Greywind wanted to know what comic books were about. He remembered his friend, Steph, had a few at his house on Grind. Ben fished a comic book out of the box and presented it. Greywind studied what appeared to be a dark-clad male bearing a cape, a horned mask and what Greywind could only deduce was an abstract aviary imprinted on his armored chest.

Ben began his lecture on superheroes, “Well… this is Batman.”

Greywind asked, “Who is Batman?”

“Batman is a superhero who fights bad guys… and dresses like a bat.”

Greywind raised a curious but intrigued eyebrow. “Really?” She made a mental note to ask Cotton what a bat was later. “Can you read that book?”

Feeling a new sense of purpose, Ben scooted closer to the Emperor and opened up to the first page. “Well… it all starts in Gotham…”

For a long time Greywind and Ben just sat, reviewing comic books together. From her perch, Cotton could not help but glower over the fact that Greywind was getting Ben’s attention. More infuriating that Greywind was learning more about human culture from Ben and not Cotton.

>I hope you are not jealous, Cotton,< Tempo whispered, taking a seat beside Cotton.

>Me jealous?< Cotton whispered back. She understood that it was better to keep as quiet as possible for the moment in the presence of the Councilors, who Greywind did not want to disclose Ben’s secret to until she was ready. >No, I’m not. I simply… <

>Infuriating, isn’t it? When someone else can do what you cannot. I don’t need sanzai to know that look, Listel. You want to be the one whom Ben confides in.<

Cotton looked away. >As his appointed caregiver, Ben should share his distresses with me. Why is it that some individuals… be they alien or loroi… refuse to confide in those who offer their help? And seek it elsewhere?<

>You really think Ben is confiding in the Emperor?< Tempo whispered with a knowing grin. >He’s not confiding. He’s being given purpose. If you want to cure depression, give the subject a purpose. Ben shall confide in you when he is ready. Surely a superior scientific mind would know that.<

Cotton scowled at Tempo. >You’re mocking me, aren’t you?<

Tempo chuckled. >I knew a Listel not so different from you, Cotton. She too had an affinity for all things alien… including humanity males. And let me tell you. It is not untypical for Listels to feel jealous when the object of their interest is occupied by someone else.<

>Hush,< Cotton glowered. >It is not untypical for Sentinels to stick their noses up everyone else’s business.<

Tempo shrugged as she said, “Touché.”

Cotton raised a curious eyebrow. “Two-shey?”

>Pardon me. A human term I learnt from Enzin Alexander Jardin, when a human admits to having their flaws exposed by clever powers of observation. Though it can also be used as a sarcastic retort when the recipient of criticism refuses to admit defeat or finds the observation superfluous.<

>Fascinating,< said Cotton. Before it hit her. >Wait… did you just call my observation superfluous?<

Tempo chuckled again.

“Petty, Mizol schemer,” Cotton retorted quietly.

The Diaderets and Ambassadors in the shuttle's lounge watched as Ben seemed to be preoccupying their Emperor’s time and focus. When trying to inquire about their activities, the Emperor commanded them not to disturb her.

>Unacceptable,< a Diaderet named Brightsword telepathically whispered exclusively to her compatriots. >Just what does that little thing think its’ doing with our Emperor?<

>Reading, or so it would seem,< another high-ranking loroi called Spirit of Fire sent. >Perhaps our Emperor has been distracted. But I see no harm in showing interest in this little alien.<

>Indeed,< sent Lodestone, advocating for her cousin. As Oirel it was her duty to manage and organize the Diaderets. >While I don’t approve of Greywind’s mild obsession, I do not think the Emperor has kept the human close for some personal amusement. Besides, it has not compromised her duties, has it?<

>Brightsword is right,< objected another called Stormcry. >At first I thought the ambassadors were overreacting to the Emperor’s unusual behavior. But her interest in that human is going too far. As soon as word of this obsession gets out, it won’t reflect well on Greywind.<

>And what are you going to do about it, Stormcry?< Lodestone whispered. >Get rid of the human? You’re welcome to try. So long as you understand that, if you do, you will have to deal with the Emperor’s wrath. And we’ve all seen how Greywind repays betrayal.<

The Councilors shifted uncomfortably. It felt awkward to be gossiping behind the Emperor’s back in such a manner as they did. But they were itching for an explanation.

>Comrades,< Lodestone whispered to her fellow officers. >I understand your concern. But Greywind promised an explanation… soon. The human, Ben, seems harmless. Let her have fun with him. Besides, you have to admit Ben seems cute… for an alien.<

Brightsword scoffed, >Speak for yourself, xenophile.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.