Dreaming of the Garden Story Thread

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

inxsi

Dreaming of the Garden Story Thread

Post by inxsi »

This is the Story thread for my Dreaming of the Garden fanfic, please post any questions and comments on the discussion thread. Thanks to Arioch for creating such an engrossing webcomic and world.

This story will involve a few character deaths, a non-graphic act of sexual assault, other acts of violence, and brief (non-graphic) nudity. Thoughts are in italics, trade language in italics, sanzai will be in quotes and italics. Hopefully that is not too confusing.

I was inspired by kiwi's writing prompt on what would happen if Tempo slipped into Alex's dreams while they slept on the shuttle. He turned this into the very good For What Dreams May Come. I wanted to take a different twist on the idea, so I started outlining this story. It took a long time to get it to this point - it has been a very long time since I have written anything. Sorry for the length for the first part.

Chapter One: Nightmare
SpoilerShow
Beryl wakes to wind rushing past her face. There is a vast silence in her mind, instead of the usual chatter or even just the presence of her companions. Opening her eyes, she glimpses stars. She starts to hold her breath instinctively even though she knows it is futile if the shuttle has been destroyed, then reassures herself that there is air and resumes breathing. She tries to hold her hand up and the stars shift violently. Tumbling, she thinks. I’m falling. Why am I falling? Her view is uninformative as she falls – there is a large field of stars, then darkness, then a smaller field of stars, then more darkness, then it loops back to stars.

She pauses to remember what she was doing before this. That’s right, I was on the shuttle with the others. We were going to sleep, but Tempo wanted me to stay awake and sense any change in Alex’s lotai through my touch. She shivers and tells herself it is from the cold wind of the fall. Is this some mental punishment for betraying Alex’s trust? Tempo’s argument that Alex would want to know if his lotai was based on some non-conscious factor seemed logical. Beryl found herself agreeing, wanting to establish a more intimate connection to the strange human.

But that was back in the safety of a shuttle surrounded by her fellow loroi. I must be dreaming. Alone, wherever this is, Beryl remembers all of the rumors she has ever heard about the mental techniques of the mizol. They can cloak their thoughts so you only see your greatest fear. She does not think this place is her greatest fear, but she finds herself unsettled. What happens if I hit anything? What happens if I don’t? She is not sure which would be worse.

I’ll wake up at some point. It should only be six hours until one of the others is up. Tempo and Fireblade were also staying awake to monitor Alex – one of them will surely notice something is amiss! She tries to shake off the rumor that the mizol can distort their victims’ perception of time, so one minute seems like hours. Just stories to scare the other castes, she assures herself.

Suddenly in the darkness, there is a figure. As she tumbles, she recognizes Alex standing in air only a dozen feet away, whipping past her. He looks surprised, she thinks, then her rotation shows him diving parallel to her, head held in a position so he can see her and whatever she is falling towards and his arms outstretched before him. I am falling towards water reflecting the stars above, Beryl realizes.

“Relax and hold your breath in a heartbeat,” a quiet, determined voice says in her mind. “Stay calm. Someone is coming to find you, and you will be ok. I promise.”

Is that Alex? she barely has time to think as she hits the water. Pain blooms through her body, followed by a deep cold. Her skinsuit seems to offer no protection as the water pours in through the openings in it. She is not sure if she was holding her breath or not, but she finds herself choking on the water. She manages to get her mouth closed but spins for long seconds, trying to find the sky above. Everything looks so much darker underwater. Follow the air bubbles, she thinks, remembering one of Stillstorm’s interminable stories of her days on Taben.

Beryl spots the bubbles and starts following them, then feels a large current catch her. She puts her limbs out to slow her tumbling, finds the bubbles and starts to follow when something grabs her foot. She kicks out for a second, then hears the voice in her head again, so soft that she wonders if it is sanzai or merely her subconscious pointing out something she has missed.

“Stop kicking. You are heading deeper.”

“Are you speaking-” she begins but is cut off.

“Prey!” a deep, primal roar sounds through her sanzai. It rejoices/seethes, “it has been too long since there has been prey in my domain!”

She quickly spins and grabs Alex’s arm to pull him up towards the surface with her. He follows her up. As they break the surface, the voice roars in triumph as something huge breaks the surface in the distance. She cannot help but look while he starts pulling her away – she gets the impression of something large, long and slender, with fins and a long tail and topped by a head full of teeth crashing back, with something smaller held in its mouth. She turns away, joining Alex in swimming towards shore. He seems to be scanning the way ahead, and as they get closer, he corrects their direction purposefully.

In a few minutes, they reach a drainage pipe. It has a grate with sturdy bars on it, but the gaps are wide enough for them to fit without much effort. It should be too small for that beast to follow. I hope.

Entering, she is pleased to see that that the pipe is wider than the opening and the sides are raised to be out of the flow of water. Alex climbs up quickly, then turns to help her up. As cold as the water is, the air feels much colder. Hypothermia, she thinks, her mind flashing back to when they were treating Alex on the shuttle after picking him up from space. We both need to get warm, fast.

“Thanks for rescuing me,” she says to Alex. She has so many questions, but the most immediate one would have to come first. I am never going to live this down. I can already hear Tempo’s encouragement, Talon’s snark, and Fireblade’s derision when I tell them about this. “Our clothes are soaked. I’m getting cold; you look even worse. I hope this doesn’t cause a problem, but we need to get our clothes off.” Please don’t be a problem, she thinks.

He blinks. Oh Tempest, he thinks I want to mate to warm up.

He nods, starting to fumble with the buttons on his jacket.

“This is purely for survival,” she warns. “Not a sexual advance.”

Shooting her a wounded look, he continues fumbling and she sees that his arms are starting to shake. She hurries over.

“Let me. Please.” I am never ever going to live this down.

He resists, then a voice speaks in the dim recesses of her mind with a sense of weariness. “Ok, I’ll let you undress me, but only if you sanzai me first so I can trust your intentions.”

Beryl stifles a quick expression of surprise. Of course he can sanzai. I think I’m in his – well, I guess nightmare. Alternately, Fireblade is right that I’ve been thinking about humans too much if this is my dream.

“Only in this place, not in the real world. Now please, state your intentions.”

“I desire to get your clothes off only to keep you from freezing to death. Please let me help.”

He holds his arms out to the side, still shivering. His clothes seem similar to when he was originally found in space. She quickly strips his jacket and shirt. When she moves to his pants, she notices a short blade of some sort strapped to his leg. She reaches for the handle, but he grabs her arm roughly.

“Please leave it in the scabbard,” he warns. “I don’t think I can untie it.” She manages to undo the straps holding the scabbard from his leg and setting it carefully aside, then stripping off his pants to leave him in his shorts, which, being thinner cloth, seem only damp instead of soaked. He is left shivering, arms hugging his bare chest, turning a shade of blue that she reminds herself is concerning, not appealing.

She frowns and starts feeling the side pockets of her skinsuit. Her hands brush the familiar bulge and she smiles as she gets the pocket open. Reaching in, she feels around and pulls out a thin rectangle. Ripping the covering off of it, she shakes out a metallic blanket and hands it to him. “Wrap this around you,” she instructs. She carries the blanket and a simple firestarting kit ever since her diral band days, when she suffered a truly horrible night out in a freak rainstorm on the open plains of Maia. She wishes she had her chemical hand warmers, but Stillstorm insisted they were a fire hazard, even though they could not get hot enough to start a fire. Alex wraps the blanket around him and holds it close. His teeth chatter, so she tells him to walk in place while she prepares to gather some wood for a fire.

“I’d like to get out of my skinsuit now,” she sends, clearly conveying her single-minded focus on getting warm. She flushes a bit at the realization that she is exaggerating her emotions slightly through the link, as one would to a very young loroi, but it is weird speaking telepathically to a non-loroi. A nearly naked male non-loroi.

When he indicates his assent, she removes the firestarting kit, carefully placing it on the ground and putting the flint and steel out to dry off. Stepping away, she unzips her skinsuit, stripping it off and leaving it on the ground as she stands in her underclothes. She notices that Alex turns to look away during this, then remembers his body modesty from the shuttle.

Turning to the matter of gathering wood, it looks like the wood on top is high enough that it should be dry. She starts to pull that off awkwardly. Most of the pieces are locked in like a puzzle among the other branches, and she is not very strong even before her muscles are bruised by landing, tired from the exertion of swimming here, and sapped by cold. Soon enough, she has several good-sized pieces. Deciding this will have to do for now, she carries them over to Alex in a few trips. She piles a few up carefully, then opens the packet of kindling from her kit.

Still dry, she notes as she pulls it out and builds a small pile. Better use it all in one attempt, she decides. Reaching over, she grabs the flint and steel, then curses as the steel slips from her fingers. It bounces once, then rolls towards the water. She lunges but comes up short, watching in anguish as it falls into the stream. She fights back tears, glad that Alex cannot see her face. Why is this dream so terrible? she thinks.

Slowly, she crawls back to Alex, who is sitting down looking at the skeleton of a fire.

“Do you have anything else to make a fire with?” he asks, with a disturbingly calm resignation.

“No,” she admits, ashamed at such a simple mistake. “I should have been more careful.”

“Use this,” he pulls the blade carefully out of the scabbard, then reverses it to hand to her hilt first. She eyes it. It is a finely crafted blade, with a fairly strong curve. She thinks she has seen something similar but cannot place it. The handle seems to be made of some kind of bone, nearly seamlessly attached to the blade. “Be careful you do not cut yourself. The blade is very sharp.”

Carefully bracing the weapon with one hand, strikes the flint onto the plate so a shower of sparks hit her tinder. On the third try, one of them catches. She moves the sword to the ground at her side, then leans forward to blow on the flames and start feeding kindling into it. Slowly, the fire grows until she feels comfortable pushing the fire into one of the pieces of wood, starting a proper campfire. She smiles as she starts feeling warmth on her hands.

Confident that they will be able to warm up now, the time has come for some answers. “So, what are you doing here?” she asks.

“Besides rescuing you?”

“I think I’ve done an equal amount of rescuing.”

“Fair enough. Thought it would work out differently in my head, or maybe I didn’t even think at all when I saw you falling.” He looks at the fire for a long heartbeat. “I guess I’m here doing penance. I think that’s the only way to put it. I’ve done something wrong – failed someone who trusted me. Still trusts me, as far as I know. Apparently, that means I deserve to be in this place.”

“Failed someone?”

“That’s why the whispers say I’m here.” She can sense he believes it, that he feels ashamed at whatever it is he did, or failed to do. “Maybe that’s why you’re here. Or maybe not,” he adds quickly, feeling her frustrated denial rise. “You’re the first person I’ve met who is here accidentally, so I’m not an expert on it.”

“You’ve seen others?”

“Yes. There’s a whole bunch of others – they seem to have come here willingly. More fools they, thinking they run this place when this place is running them. I hope to get out of here before they figure that out.” She senses a wry lack of belief that he will succeed.

“Our fires won’t alert these others?” she asks, alarmed. She tries to decide when they would be warm enough to put the fire out.

“No,” he reassures her. “The smoke is minimal and won’t be noticed. The others mainly patrol elsewhere, and look for other things. My name is Alex.” There is an added subtext of a weary man stubbornly walking against a wind made up of his past failures, bowed but not yet broken.

She turns to look at the fire so he does not see her frown. If this is Alex’s dream to deal with the trauma he has suffered, then it makes sense for him not to remember any of the loroi. I’ll need to ask Tempo about this, since the mizol are the most likely to understand the psychology of aliens. I wish our doranzers had any knowledge of non-loroi psychology.

“I am Beryl,” she says, delighting in sending the full meaning of her name, richer than even the spoken loroi trade language can easily convey.

“Pleased to meet you.”

She adds some more wood to the fire. “I think our clothes will be dry enough soon. Once we can dress, we can go to sleep.”

“Good. But first, I’d like my blade back. And if you don’t mind, the only way to properly sheath it is to give it some blood from each of us.”

“You’re joking, right?” He doesn’t seem like he’s joking.

“No. It may sound foolish, but it was a deal I made when I got this blade, to always give it blood when I used it. I figure since you used it, you should do so as well, but I understand if you don’t want to.”

“Why did you make that deal?”

“I heard somewhere that if you believe your weapon wants to murder everything, then it will. Figured it seemed to apply here.”

“Ok, so what do I do?”

“Just draw the blade, very lightly, over the palm of your offhand. Then pass me the blade and I’ll do the same.”

“And nothing bad will happen?”

“You’ll get cut, but that is all.”

“Like a diral band pledge,” she comments, then frowns as she realizes that he does not know what that is. She quickly explains the normal rite where a diral band cements their bonds by cutting their palm and mingling their blood. Her band had not done so, despite her pushing for it, but most bands did so.

“Sort of. I suppose we can do a blood oath since we seem to be in this together now.” He must have noticed her excitement over their link. She agrees and cuts her right palm. Her skin parts effortlessly, and then pain and blue blood wells up. How sharp is this? she wonders. Then a voice crushes her mind.

“Daughter of the arrogant, you have dared return to the depths that your masters fled? For that, I should have you cut your throat!” In her mind, she sees the vast creature from the lake rise up and grin evilly at her. She feels the blade rise to her throat, then realizes that her own hand is holding it there without any input from her mind. Or, she realizes, most of my mind is out of my control now.

“Beryl?” Alex cries out mentally.

“But I am feeling generous. Your perfidy is minor compared to others, so I will let yours pass, providing you assist me in a minor matter. A trifle. I would handle the issue myself, but then I would be forsworn.”

“What issue?” Beryl asks as her hand lowers.

“The eyes of my servants have grown bigger than their mouths, and they have enacted designs to imprison myself with the aid of the newcomers who are here. One I trusted was able to obtain my oath to imprison me. The details matter not. If you desire for this one… this Beryl, I believe you called her… to survive, you will assist me. In return, I will both spare her life, I will also not alert my captors to your existence, provided you free me in one week.”

Before Beryl can think to agree, Alex counters, “I need assurances that you will not harm us during or after this service, and also that doing this service will not harm Beryl’s people or my own.”

A deep laughter sounds through their sanzai. “The boy has been here for a month, and already he drives a hard bargain. Agreed, unless you seek to cause harm to me. And I assure you that it is in both of your species interests to aid me, as my captors seek the extinction of one species and the enslavement of the other.”

“There is still the loophole you are currently using – recruiting another to do what you cannot.” Beryl points out.

“Clever daughter. I will agree to that stipulation.” After a few more wording changes, Beryl and Alex agree. “Excellent! Your blood shall seal this covenant. If the daughter consents, we can use the blood she has already shed,” Beryl agrees, not wanting to feel the disturbing bite of the blade again, “then we need the blood of the son of man,” Alex winces, cutting his palm on the blade. “Let this covenant be sealed with this blood, and may it bring ruination to our enemies and freedom to ourselves.”

Beryl drops the sword with a gasp as the voice leaves her and she can once again control her limbs. How am I ever going to explain any of this to Tempo? And what will the mizol think? Wordlessly, she passes out.

inxsi

Re: Dreaming of the Garden Story Thread

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part One
SpoilerShow
Beryl wakes to air flowing over her face, a constant dull roar, and the faint beeping of an alarm. She reaches out mentally to ask Spiral or Talon, who have piloted Stillstorm’s shuttle much more than she has, but is struck by the lack of any mental noise from her companions.

Opening her eyes, she glimpses stars. She starts to hold her breath, even though she knows she is dead if the shuttle has breached that much, when a computerized female voice speaks.

“Please remain calm and breath normally. Abnormal breathing will heighten oxygen usage. Please wait while the main module of TCASuitNet Version 9.1.2048093a3, revision 215 initializes.”

Beryl sees the outline of a rectangle appear before her; it starts filling rapidly from one end. She tries to move and feels stiff resistance. She looks out of the corner of her eye and realizes that the starfield is distorted by some sort of visor. Am I in a spacesuit? That noise must be a fan blowing the air – why is it so loud? And how did I end up in a spacesuit?

“Please do not move. Moving will heighten oxygen usage.” The filling completes, and there is a bell sound. “Initialization completed. Greetings… Lynne Deinner… Initiating automated scan for Terran vessels. No Terran vessels detected. Terran system beacon detected – system identification is Wolf 359; emergency rescue message is being transmitted. Oxygen reserve is at 100%, estimated survival time is 7 hours.”

She frowns. Wolf 359? That is not something the loroi would name a system. Then it struck her as she thought over the message. It is in English, but I can somehow understand it. What has happened? She thinks back to the last thing she remembers. I was on the shuttle with the others. We were going to sleep, but Tempo wanted me to stay awake and sense any change in Alex’s lotai through my touch. I must be dreaming – but why would I dream of being in a spacesuit? Is this sympathy for what Alex went through? She does not remember the dream that she had before this.

“Oxygen reserve is at 99%, estimated survival time is 6 hours and 56 minutes.” Listening closely, she can pick out the words that she has not learned from Alex, but there seems to be a seamless translation into loroi trade layered overtop. Focusing on it starts to give her a headache, so she lets her focus blur out so she is just getting the translation.

Maybe I will wake up before I run out of oxygen, she thinks, then laughs. She is looking forward to being back on a powered down shuttle hiding from enemy forces in control of the system. Noticing the signs of hysteria, she shakes herself mentally.

I am a loroi listel tozet. This is clearly a dream, probably from the stress of our current situation. Nothing will happen if the oxygen runs out. I’ll wake up, maybe embarrassed at having panicked in my sleep and having dreamt of humanity. Tempo will insinuate that this is a sign that I should be closer to Alex, Talon and Spiral will be jealous, and Fireblade will tell me that I spend too much time thinking about Alex and humans. She longs for that mental dressing down at the moment.

“Oxygen reserve is at 98%, estimated survival time is 6 hours and 52 minutes.”

Is this system set up to speak every four minutes? Who came up with that idea? And this fan noise!

Eventually, even with the endless drone of the air circulating and the constant interruption of the voice, Beryl dozes, as she has mentally run through everything she can think of for this situation several times. She is roused when the voice changes its annunciation.

“Oxygen reserve is at 40%, estimated survival time is four hours. Response signal has been received from TCA vessel Deus Ex Machina. Estimated arrival time, four hours.”

Beryl feels a surge of hope, before wondering if the ship would need to do any maneuvering for the rescue. No, stay positive that they will get her into the ship in time. Stay calm. In any case, this is a dream, so none of this is real.

“Oxygen reserve is at 39%, estimated survival time is three hours and fifty-seven minutes. Estimated arrival time for rescue, three hours and fifty-five minutes.”

Did more time come off of the rescue countdown than came off of my survival countdown? Is this defective programming by the human designer? The next message seems to confirm it: “Oxygen reserve is at 38%, estimated survival time is three hours and fifty-four minutes. Estimated arrival time for rescue, three hours and fifty minutes.” Beryl laughs as she realizes that she should be rescued with plenty of oxygen left.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Two
SpoilerShow
Beryl awakens to a woman’s voice and a burning sensation. She keeps her eyes shut and listens.

“Hold still, you big baby. How did you manage to get a cut on your hand through your glove, anyway?”

“I don’t know,” a man’s voice, Alex’s voice, answers. “I reached out and grabbed her and felt a flash of pain. I didn’t think much of it at the time.”

“Only you would end up getting injured on an easy rescue attempt. And really? You are using these on your arms?” Trying to follow the conversation helps Beryl to ignore that the burning sensation is not just on her skin but seems to be spreading in her veins.

“Yeah, I didn’t think it would be an – ouch!” he exclaims as there is the sound of something tearing. “What was that for?”

“They’ll interfere with the bandage I'm putting on it. Let me get the other one too.”

“They will not interfere,” another sound of ripping and then of pain. “I think you missed some hairs and skin on that one.”

“I can try again if you’d like.”

“No ma’am. I’m good. Could you just hand me the –”

“Oops, I dropped it in with the other medical waste. Sorry.”

“Now this is just cruel and unusual punishment.”

“Hold our hand open so I can sterilize it and then bandage it.” The heat intensifies, and Beryl stretches slightly, feeling that she is restrained tightly all over her body. Her curiosity, or maybe a different kind of fear, overcome her fear of discovery, and she opens her eyes. She can see a woman with short brown hair and a tear tattooed in the corner of one eye sitting in front of Alex, who is holding his right hand up. Beryl recognizes the woman as Ellen Kirkland, one of the crew of the Bellarmine.

“Is this payback for telling them about the medical course you took? And don’t they have something less painful to use?” Another muffled exclamation as Ellen pours some liquid over it.

“Why do you think it would be for that and not for other things? And no, I don’t think this medical area has been resupplied since it was first built.”

“Fine, just bandage it please.”

“Gladly,” Ellen says, wraps a bandage very tightly around it, then ties it off. As Alex winces at the pressure, his eyes meet Beryl’s.

“Looks like she’s awake,” Alex says.

“You sit here while I handle this. If only we had a proper medical monitor,” Ellen mutters as she turns to look at Beryl, who is remembering Alex’s arrival on the Tempest and how he was interrogated by Fireblade at Stillstorm’s orders. I am a loroi warrior. I can handle myself as well as, if not better than, Alex. Besides, it is not like I know how I ended up here in a human spacesuit. Of course, that might not help since they won’t know I am not lying.

Beryl tries to speak, but only a mangled noise comes out of her dry throat.

“Oh! Sorry,” Ellen says, moving over and putting a straw to Beryl’s lips. “Drink. You were really dehydrated and hypothermic. We’ve been rehydrating you with warm fluids, but haven’t done anything for your throat.”

Hypothermic? I feel like I’m on fire. Spotting a tube leading into her arm, she realizes the heat seems worse from there. If they think I’m hypothermic, they are probably overheating me, she realizes. “Hot,” she complains.

“Hot?” Ellen glances at a panel to her side. “Your temperature is up, but you should not be feeling hot.” She reaches towards Beryl’s face. Beryl tries to move her head away, but with the bindings, she only manages to turn her head to the side. “Hold still,” Ellen murmurs as she touches her forehead. Beryl braces for a mental assault, but the hand just seems to sit there as an uncomfortable heat. “You feel fairly normal, so I suppose I can remove the fluids. You should still drink plenty of fluids though.”

Beryl breathes a sigh of relief as the heat starts to fade. Now, if I can just survive the interrogation better than their attempts at medical aid.

“Ok, let me loosen these blankets,” Ellen says, touching a control. Beryl feels the pressure fade from her body and lifts one arm. I was held down by blankets tucked in tightly, she thinks. Am I free to go? What is going on? “Sorry, we had you trussed up like a Christmas turkey with all the blankets. You gave us quite a scare with how cold you were when we rescued you.”

Uncomfortable with Ellen standing over her, Beryl sits up shakily, clutching the blankets to her front with both hands. “We had to cut off all of your clothing, so you’re naked under there. I can find you some cloths,” Ellen seems unsure if she should stop Beryl or help her. It feels so much cooler with her back off of the surface, even with having to hold up the heavy blankets for modesty’s sake. Humans seem very particular about nudity. “I don’t think you should be standing yet,” Ellen continues.

“I’m fine,” Beryl answers from a need to be fine rather than knowing that she is fine. She feels the bracelet of sensors and the IV line on her right wrist. Suddenly needing it removed, she releases her left hand to undo the clasp. Right as she gets it open, she feels the blankets slipping from her weak grip.

At that moment, the door to the room opens and a group of humans talking loudly walks in. All of their eyes widen as they see her sitting there as the blanket falls to her legs. They all quickly avert their eyes. Ellen helps Beryl haul one of the blankets up to cover herself, then brushes Beryl's hair back out of her eyes.

“Glad to see you sitting up,” Alex says, sounding sheepish when he makes eye contact with her again. Beryl meets his eyes, which look bloodshot. “Do you know how you got out there?”

“No,” she says, feeling flushed again. I have never missed my armor so much. She sighs. Maybe I shouldn’t have made fun of Alex’s issue with nudity. Maybe if there weren’t so many men.

Ellen must have noticed her arms trembling from holding up the heavy blanket, as she moves behind her and starts knotting the blanket behind her, moving the weight from her arms to her shoulders. Beryl tries not to be distracted by the touch of her fingers – despite her time with Alex, it is still odd to touch someone and not feel any mental connection.

“Do you know your name?” Ellen asks her again.

Well, I can tell you who the suit seemed to think I am. “Lynne Dienner.”

Ellen’s grip on her shoulder tightens painfully hard for a second, then relaxes. “Good,” Ellen says. Is that cheerfulness forced? “I don’t think you have any memory loss. Let me be the first to welcome you to the TCA, though I wish it was under better circumstances. First person I’ve ever met from Esperanza.” Ellen steps out from behind Beryl.

One of the men whistles. “Long way from home.”

“You were worried about amnesia?” Alex asks. “I didn’t think she had been hit on the head?”

Ellen shakes her head. “I didn’t notice anything, but it would be easy to miss with what I have to work with. Captain Hamilton said to look out for amnesia or other psychological damage from being out there for so long. He said it might be short-term amnesia, which is much less worrisome.” To Beryl, she adds, “For what it’s worth, congratulations, on being the first human to survive on suit life support in space for that long.”

“Beat the record by three hours,” the whistler adds.

Beryl nods shakily.

“Do you remember anything about being on a spaceship before you were drifting? Or anything from before that?” Beryl shakes her head at Ellen’s questions. Amnesia seems a better choice than trying to explain that I’m an alien stuck in a dream.

“This is bogus!” one of the other men shouts.

“Calm down,” Alex tells him tiredly.

“No way man. Thanks to this -,” he glances at Ellen and quickly changes whatever he was about to say, “chick, we’re going to fail this exercise. Like hell do I believe she just ended up out there and screwed up our maneuvers. I wouldn’t put it past that bastard Haufman to have bribed a crew to leave her there – hell, she might be in on it! What did he offer you?” During his tirade, he has edged toward Beryl and ends by lunging at her. Ellen interposes her body, taking the blow awkwardly on her shoulder, and then Alex grabs the attacker’s other arm. A quick twist later and the man is on the ground, Alex standing over him in what Beryl recognizes as one of the advanced lishranen holds Fireblade had tried to teach her.

I suppose the joints and nerves would be similar, Beryl thinks.

The door opens. “Alexander Jardin, what is going on here?” She looks over to see what is obviously a commanding officer standing in the door taking in the scene. His nametag reads “C. Hamilton”. Beryl instinctively starts to stand, reacting to everyone going to attention, even if it is odd to do so for an alien man, but he quickly gestures for her to stay seated.

Alex releases his hold and stands, helping his victim to his feet. “Sir, no excuse.”

Hamilton does not look like he believes this for a second. She thinks he is trying to decide if he has to officially notice something. He meets everyone’s gaze, then asks, “any problems?”

“No problems, sir,” Ellen answers. “Lynne seems to be fine physically other than being dehydrated. She could use a meal as well sir.”

“Lynne, eh? She remembers her name?”

“Yes sir. But she does not remember how she ended up in space.”

“Well, I’m sure it will come back in time. Does she still need medical care?”

“No sir, but she should drink plenty of fluids and take it easy. She should be fine to walk short distances, but will probably tire easily." Beryl tries to feel angry that an alien is suggesting she is weak, but truthfully, she is grateful since she can feel her muscles trembling from sitting without support.

“Understood. The rest of you, return to your stations, except for Ellen and Alex. Claude, as XO, you are now in charge. Your orders are to start us back to the relay point – our ship is considered out of this exercise. This will not impact any of your evaluations.”

“Yes sir,” her attacker says, then the group salutes and leaves.

“Ellen, get Lynne dressed. I’ll ring you when I am ready to have her brought to my quarters. Alex, come with me.”

Just like that, Beryl finds herself alone with Ellen. She starts to doubt her theory that human males would be territorial, and wonders if instead their females are. Has she claimed all of the younger males? Or maybe she is favored by the captain?

“Don’t worry,” Ellen says. “I’m sure everything will make sense when your memories come back. Let’s get you dressed. You can borrow some of my clothes,” she eyes Beryl’s body. “It won’t be the best fit, but I think it is the best we can do.”

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Three
SpoilerShow
After dressing, Beryl follows Ellen down narrow corridors. All of the loroi had found the Bellarmine cramped, but this ship is a nightmare of narrow corridors and doorways that require Beryl to duck low and lift her legs to get through. Luckily Ellen handles unlocking and relocking the doors, which require spinning a metal wheel. The air is hot, stinking of metal and a foul odor that must be biological in nature. Ellen does not seem concerned about the odors, so Beryl tries to squelch the thought of the ship burning up in space. Partway through, she realizes that she is used to some of these smells as signs of battle damage, but this seems to be normal on a ship of this quality.

At one point, Alex approaches from the opposite direction, and everyone has to turn sideways to squeeze past. Only Ellen does not seem embarrassed, though that might be since she is trying to make very intense eye contact with Alex, who looks ahead blankly. Beryl shivers as she brushes past his chest, once again running into his lotai when she tries to read him. If I am in his dream, why can I not sense him?

Eventually, her guide stops at a door and raps it quickly with the back of her hand. A voice on the other side says “enter.” I suppose a species without sanzai feels it is polite to get permission to enter a room. There were intercoms on the Bellarmine – I wonder why they aren’t used in this ship?

They enter a cramped room, with Captain Hamilton watching them from a chair. On the wall behind him is a screen with some kind of tactical display. He smiles faintly. “Thank you for bringing Lynne, Cadet Kirkland. Please wait outside to escort Lynne back..”

“Sir,” Ellen salutes and exits.

“Ellen said you should stay off of your feet, so sit,” he gestures to a chair in the corner. She sinks down into it, feeling tired once she is able to rest. “Also, you should drink fluids.” He hands her a large bottle with a straw sticking up. She takes a cautious sip and, finding it is water, nods her agreement. Am I supposed to be under his command? “Sorry for the rough introduction. I assume you still don’t remember the trip out here?”

“No sir.” Nothing that would make sense to anyone, at least.

“You have not technically reported for duty in the service yet,” he corrects, “but if you feel comfortable with the formal mode of address I won’t object. However, I am not in your chain of command and cannot issue any orders to you, understand?”

“Yes sir.” Despite being aliens, the familiar rhythm of command and obedience from Stillstorm and past leaders is hard to break with an alien so similar to their species.

“Good. I’m still sorting out the details of how you got here, but, from the records I have, you applied to the Academy from the colony at Esperanza. You were accepted based on your correspondence coursework and a recorded exam. You must have really impressed someone with your application, since you cite a strong preference for either the scout corps or positions compatible with your status as a conscientious objector. Keep in mind that your conscientious objector status is protected – your instructors will know about it, but they are forbidden from revealing it to any of the cadets.”

Conscientious objector? Beryl thinks. Why do they even have such a status?

He continues, “due to the time lag in communications with the colony and a paperwork mix up on our end, we invited you to the Academy earlier then we should have. You’ve arrived in the middle of the training cycle. You should have been sent to the Academy to wait, but since most of the trainees are off planet at this time for training, someone probably sent you here to get you off their hands. That will be covered by our investigation into how you ended up adrift in space for our ship to rescue. You’re not very talkative, are you?”

“No sir.”

Hamilton turns back to the monitor. “As for what we are doing here, we were on a training exercise simulating perimeter defense of a Terran system. This is us.” He gestures towards a ship indicator alone on the edge of the system. “We are traveling to meet up with a courier ship that will take you and Cadet Jardin back to the Sol system.”

Beryl takes in the display. It looks like the defenders have split their forces in two, with a group of lighter ships moving directly towards the jump point across the system and their heavier forces moving behind a planet. It looks like they were trying to lure the attacking force into an ambush, but the attackers had already spotted their movements and were picking off the light ships as they decelerate. They might have had a chance if they kept accelerating through the jump point, though it would likely just be delaying the inevitable at that point.

He sighs. “They really should have just kept accelerating with how poorly they botched the timing. You are watching history, with probably the quickest complete defeat of the defending force ever recorded in this scenario. So much for Cadet Jardin’s planned sneak attack,” he comments as the last of the light ships suffers notional fatal damage, with the attacking force apparently untouched.

“This performance will likely bring everyone’s spirits down on this ship, but there is at least a real space Thanksgiving meal to make up for it. You can help Cadets Alex and Ellen with the preparation, if she thinks you are up for that.”

Beryl is not sure what she is looking at when she follows Ellen into the kitchen. Alex is standing before a pan, protective cloths over his uniform and gloves on his hands. On the pan is a mound that looks vaguely like meat, that he is trying to sculpt into a rounded object with his hands. He looks up and asks Ellen, “does this look like a turkey?”

“I think that looks good,” Ellen says. “Don’t you think Lynne?” Beryl nods.

Ellen pulls on her own apron and gloves, while Alex pulls out a flexible line from the sink and starts carefully spraying the mound with water. A low crackling noise begins, steadily growing louder. “My first Thanksgiving in space with all of the comforts of home, including,” she laughs, “dehydrated turkey.”

As Beryl ponders this, Ellen points out the other dehydrated food that Alex is preparing. Dehydrated pickles, cranberry sauce, several different kinds of potatoes, something called stuffing, and many other foods that make Beryl glad she has an eidetic memory. No wonder Alex seems malnourished, if this is anywhere close to a normal meal. She ponders it, and is surprised to realize that she is aware of more knowledge about Thanksgiving than she would expect. It is some kind of celebration, mixed with a feast. Must be some artifact of whatever translation process is working.

Finally, the kitchen is silent save for the steady crackling sound of food rehydrating. Alex places the turkey in the oven, and Ellen explains the exercise they are on and how important it is for their grades at the Academy.

“This ship is a small patrol craft, able to jump but usually used to just patrol a single system. Some have argued that these ships are mostly kept around for these exercises. I wouldn’t go that far, but they serve a useful purpose in giving us a way to actually get some experience in space,” Ellen says.

“Now you’re just reciting the promotional brochure,” Alex teases.

“Just trying to set a good example for an impressionable lower-year member,” Ellen replies primly, then grins. “Say what you want about the cramped quarters, simulated weapons, and small engagement scale, just being in space and able to maneuver is cooler than the simulators, for all the improvements they have done in the past year or so.”

“True enough. I’d rather be on a book exercise right now thought.”

Brought back to reality, Ellen frowns. “That jerk had it coming. I’m not sure why you don’t just tell Hamilton what happened.”

Alex shrugs. “I should have handled it better – seen it coming and done something different. Anyway, there’s still the code.”

“I hardly think that counts as snitching.”

“Too close for my tastes. Anyway, someday I might need to rely on Claude.”

“What if you needed to rely on Lynne here?”

“Well, I’d hope she didn’t think less of me for what happened. Claude’s a bit of hothead, but I don't think he means it.” He looks at Beryl. “If you want to report it, Ellen and I will back you up.”

Beryl shrugs, not wanting to bring attention to herself. “I don’t think I need to bring it up.”

“Ok. How did our group do?” Ellen asks.

Alex says, “the plotter didn’t look good when I saw Hamilton. Our groups were out of position and the attackers were about to enter the system. Maybe I should have told them to go to the backup plan when we had to leave the formation.”

Ellen looks at Beryl. “You went in later. How did it look?”

“Bad – Hamilton said it would be the quickest defeat in the exercise’s history.”

“Ouch,” she says. “Hope we all get a do-over for this.”

“Yeah, I’ll ask Hamilton. It isn’t fair that I get a second chance when it was my plan that failed,” Alex says.

The meal is awkward. Her abortive attacker is present, though he is generally ignoring her. Alex is absent. There is a brief toast of thanks, including thanks for being able to rescue a fellow spacefarer that makes Beryl blush. Most of the others chime in, with thanks for friends, the chance to be in space, and other items, then Captain Hamilton begins dishing the food out, starting with Beryl.

Beryl finds it odd eating in front of males, even alien males. She is surprised to find that she is hungry enough to ignore the odd food shapes and textures. Then she remembers that issues Reed reported with Alex’s struggles with loroi food in the real world. Too late now. I’ll trust my loroi digestion. She does scratch off another item on her dwindling list of ideas for how humanity could aid the loroi. Morale would not survive if we were using human supplied food. Maybe we could give it to the civilians?

Ellen did not manage to grab a seat next to Beryl, so the two only make occasional eye contact. Not knowing anyone else, Beryl mostly listens to the others at the table. Captain Hamilton steers the conversation away from any issues relating to the exercise or other Academy matters, so the talk is generally kept to lighter matters. He does announce towards the end that Beryl and Alex will take a courier ship back to the Sol system while the remaining crew finishes the maneuvers. Ellen’s eyes narrow at this statement.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Four
SpoilerShow
After the courier jumps into the Sol system, a male crewmember stops by the passenger to hand Beryl a data pad.

“This is loaded with an orientation program for new cadets, plus some of the background coursework. Captain Hamilton had us pull the information for it on the way out here. This should help you start getting up to speed,” he explains. “You’re going to be transferring to a civilian freighter for the trip to Mars, but you should have plenty of time to review it on the way.”

Beryl thanks him, then he leads both of them to the walkway connecting them to the other ship. A woman meets them on the other end of the tube. Beryl is a little shocked to see the poor condition of the other ship. The woman obviously notices, and asks, “is there a problem?”

“Err,” Beryl says, wondering if she will get in a fight for voicing her concern.

“Worried about trusting your life to this ship? Don’t worry, we just had an inspection. The ship is safe, but the amenities may not be up to the standards of the Navy.”

“Ok,” Beryl agrees. She is not sure she believes it, but Alex seems untroubled and angering this woman does not seem like a good idea.

“Glad it meets your approval. Now, we have space for both of you in with the cargo. It is heated, but might be a little uncomfortable.” Apparently disappointed that Beryl does not protest, she gestures for them to follow her deeper into the ship. The place is not as bad as Beryl had feared, though they will be sitting on the floor, with only some cargo webbing to hold them in place. As Beryl is getting settled in, Alex draws the woman away for a quick conversation. The woman looks skeptical until he pulls out some papers from a pocket in his jacket and hands them over. She smiles, then rubs her fingers together, causing him to shake his head. She laughs and heads off as he pulls out a pack of gum and puts two sticks in his mouth.

“What was that?” Beryl asks as Alex sits across from her.

“Arranging for some comforts for myself, since I am no longer on a naval vessel. You’ll have to make your own arrangements if you want. I recommend against it, since it’s a terrible habit. Now, I’m sure you’ve got work to do, and so do I.” He pulls out his own data pad, turning it on and starting to poke at it rapidly with the stylus.

She shrugs and turns on her own data pad. It starts up with a general overview of its interface. It assumes a certain familiarity with the controls that she lacks, but she manages to access the lessons that are queued up for her. The logo for the TCA that Alex is wearing appears, followed by a message to insert earbuds to avoid disturbing others. She follows the pictures it displays, opening a side panel and places them in her ears. As she does, she feels the soft roundness of a human ear and shudders slightly at the difference between proper, pointed ears.

The video resumes. It introduces the military and scout corps, and goes on to cover the elite nature of the scouts, tasked both with exploration but also search and rescue services. The military is apparently mostly kept in Earth’s orbit, save for some small craft used for patrols in various systems. The main fleet seems to be ramping up their readiness, given the new simulators that the video mentions, and also hints that shakedown cruises will begin soon. When was the last time these ships left dock? she wonders. She recalls stories from early in the war with the Enemy, when many loroi crews struggled to adjust to the rigors of combat, and this in a navy that regularly patrols for extended periods of time and performs simulated battles. How long will it take humanity to reach even that standard? She shrugs mentally at the list of current ships. Are they really mentioning everything? On the other hand, they could have a thousand times more ships and they would still be basically helpless.

The woman returns, bearing two packs of six bottles each which she sets next to Alex. Some kind of beverage – alcohol, Beryl realizes as she reads one of the labels. The woman whispers a question to him, but he shakes his head and she laughs again and leaves. He twirls his stylus rapidly as he opens one of the bottles and takes a swig.

Beryl’s interest perks up when it mentions that several new ships are under construction due to the news brought by the orgus, aliens who entered human space ten months ago bringing news of an interstellar war fought between the forces of the umiak and the loroi. The scout corps is preparing for a mission to make contact with the combatants and determine which side humanity will ally with and what aid they could provide. Her eyebrows rise as it mentions that five ships will be sent; four scout ships, the Pellew, the Utsumi, the Bellarmine, and the Matveyev, and an unnamed fifth ship will provide fuel during the voyage.

She frowns. Alex never mentioned additional scout ships. We didn’t directly ask, but he could have told us. Maybe that was why he seemed so unhappy about going deeper into loroi space, away from their relay vessel? What if they’ve already joined up with the umiak? What if Tempo thinks they already have? Alex might not be intended to deceive us, but could humanity have already come to an arrangement with the umiak?

Calming herself, she thinks the timeline through. I don’t think they would have had time. And it sounds like humanity wants to see what each side has to offer… that is a blade with two edges, but it works for us as much as against us. And how could the umiak have discovered their… oh, they could still have captive loroi. Could they have figured out the secret of the human’s lotai already? Surely not in time to deploy it against us. But how likely are they to have found another way to hide from our farseers? Realizing the futility of grappling with the same debate that engaged almost all of the loroi on the Tempest, Beryl tries to ignore it.

That matter settled, she rewinds the video and resumes playing it. It transitions to an overview of the Academy system and its course of study. All applicants must be 16 years old, though a few years older would be better. She frowns. Humanity must mature very slowly. Thank the soia for our rapid maturation. Trying to be ready for war with such limitations must be very challenging.

The video finishes. She sees the remaining videos queued up, but decides that she needs more information on the Esperanza colony. If she is supposed to be from there, she should know at least the basics. And hope I don’t run into anyone who is actually from there. She finds an article explaining that it is the most recent colony established, though it is more useful for its location in space than for the resources on the planet. Primitive terraforming is underway. I should be impressed that they have figured that out… the loroi have not given much thought to terraforming, other than to marvel at how the soia must have designed our worlds. Then again, the soia have left behind a vast number of planets suitable for loroi colonization, so we have not needed to do so.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Five
SpoilerShow
“Welcome to Hellas Planitia,” Alex announces as he enters the underground airlock from the shuttle. He turns and waits for Beryl to join him.

She slowly walks down the stairs, trying to adjust to the low gravity. I’ve never been on such a low-gravity world. Why do humans live here? She smiles at him reassuringly, then grabs at the rails as she pushes off slightly too hard. She makes it into the airlock, only embarrassing herself through her slow pace.

“I suppose you’re not used to the Martian gravity. You’ll adjust soon enough – most of the cadets were like that for a bit, including me,” he tells her. “There’s still a bit of a journey ahead since the spaceport is quite a distance from the city. It’s been a long day, so we’re just heading to the housing block and getting a room set up for you.”

Beryl is sure her curiosity shows on her face as the door opens and they pass into a large open area that enters into a large area, with gates towards the far end and a few people milling around. Wordlessly, Beryl and Alex cross to the people.

A woman beams at him. “Hi Alex.”

“Hello, Yvonne. Why are you working this shift?”

“Well, the holiday load is always light here, it’s basically like having a night off. And how could I resist when I heard you were coming in tonight?” She bats her eyes.

“Oh,” Alex says, blushing.

Yvonne pretends not to notice. “And I take it this is Lynne?”

“Yes,” Beryl says, noting how Yvonne shifts to a more business-like tone.

“Pleased to meet you. The trains aren’t running due to the holiday. A taxi shouldn’t take too long though.”

“We’ll take my bike.”

“The beast? Have you had any alcohol recently?”

“Ok, we’ll take a taxi,” he grimaces. “Do you have an alch-tab I could use?”

“Only you would come back from exercises drunk,” the woman says with a mock sigh, keying something in rapidly, then shuffling through a drawer. “Your taxi has been summoned.”

“It was practically a tramp freighter, and it was their alcohol,” he complains. “It’s not like I’m smuggling it onto Navy vessels.”

“Please don’t tell me about anything illegal. As far as I know, you were toasting with Captain Hamilton for saving this fine woman from space by yourself, resuscitating her from the brink of death with the air provided by a kiss from your sweet lips,” she replies, handing over something pen-like.

Alex rolls a sleeve up, uncaps the pen, and plunges it into the skin of an arm, grimacing. “You heard that much, huh?”

“Yeah,” she says, sympathetically. “Sorry, but everyone wants to know how the exercises went. Lot of betting on it.”

“Great,” Alex grunts, already turning to walk to a side door marked with strange figures. “I’ll be back in five.”

Yvonne lowers her voice to a conspiratorial whisper as she addresses Beryl. “The anti-alcohol drugs are great, but make everyone pee right afterwards. He’ll be fine to take you home though. He’s a good one, just putting a lot on himself right now.”

Beryl nods, unsure of what to say as she waits. After a long minute Alex reappears. “There are chairs if you want to sit while we wait,” he points out. They sit, and Alex continues. “I was hoping to get to show you the tunnels on my motorcycle. I always love driving through these tunnels when I return here,” he explains. “It makes me feel like I am coming home.”

Seeing an opening, she asks, “did you grow up here?”

“No, I was born in Redding, California.” After a pause, he adds, “on Earth.”

“What was it like?”

“Well, the cities can be crowded. But if you look, you can still find wide open space to explore.” She can hear a longing in his voice.

“I take it you did so?”

He laughs. “Guilty. I loved hiking when I was younger. I miss it since I came out here – there isn’t really any place to just walk out in the open, and as good as they are, the walking screens just aren’t the same as the real thing. It’s not all bad though – there’s a great climbing wall, and I’ve been getting into sabre fencing thanks to Ellen; I’m teaching her some jiu jitsu in exchange. I’ll show you the gym sometime if you’d like.”

“That’d be great. Is that what you used on that guy,” she tries to pronounce it and fails. He corrects her.

“Yeah, that was an intermediate hold. I really shouldn’t have.” Like a switch has been thrown, his voice turns gloomy. Way to go, Beryl, she reprimands herself. Ask him about how he screwed up to end up here with you.

Luckily, the taxi arrives before the silence stretches too long.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Six
SpoilerShow
The driver, an older man, welcomes them as they slide into the passenger area.

“Cadets coming back from exercises? Hope everything went well,” he greets them.

“This is her first time here,” Alex says, pointing to Lynne as the taxi pulls away from the station.

“Really? I have to warn you. The way to the city is enclosed in a tunnel about twenty-five miles long, but the ceiling in that tunnel is covered in screens that show the sky above the settlement. This is video only – there is no risk about being exposed to the surface since there will be fifteen meters of rock above us.” Seeing Alex’s quirked eyebrow, he shrugs. “I figure you cadets are used to open space, but the government figures better safe than sorry. If either of you think you’ll freak out at the sight of the sunset, I can go a different way, but it really is a great view if you can stand it.

“That sounds fine,” Beryl decides.

“All right. There’s not much other scenery for me to point out. You guys mind if I turn on the radio while I drive? There’s a program I want to hear in a bit – you’ll probably want to hear it too.”

They agree, so he hits a button on the dash as he turns onto the main road. A man is singing, “Houston think we got some problems. Find somebody who can solve ‘em. I feel like a spaceman.”

The road suddenly brightens, the ceiling vanishing into a beautiful sunset. Though the effect is not as dramatic as the bridge on a loroi ship, she is glad she has been warned. She finds it perhaps more dramatic given the primitive nature of their technology.

As they admire the sunset, the music comes to an end and a woman’s voice, quiet and ethereal, as if she were whispering sweet endearments into a microphone, comes on. “Welcome back to the Apology Line on Radio Free Ares. I am Phobos, the living embodiment of one of the twin moon goddesses in the sky above us, taking your anonymous calls where you can express your wrongdoing for the Hellas Planitia settlement to hear. We remind our callers that to protect your anonymity, any attempt to reveal anyone’s identities will automatically cut the call off, but we can make no promises that no one will be able to identify you or anyone you mention based on the details you disclose.”

“What is this?” Beryl asks.

“An unauthorized broadcast – most popular radio show in the settlement,” the driver says. “It’s technically illegal, but I understand all of the cadets listen to it. I can change the channel if it is an issue.”

“It’s fine,” Alex replies while Beryl tries not to stare, having difficulty comprehending a society that tolerates such a flouting of authority.

Phobos continues, “Ok, we have a caller on the line. What do you want to say?”

“Hello?” a man’s voice. “Am I on?”

“Yes sir, you are on the apology line. Do you have an apology to make?”

“Yes. Yes, I do. I’m not sure who needs to hear it, or if they're listening, but I’m sorry for whatever I did. Please forgive me.”

“I’m sorry – that’s not a very specific apology. Could you be a bit more detailed?” Phobos asks.

“I’d love to, but I don’t know what I did to offend whoever I offended. I’m sorry. I’ll change my ways, if they would just tell me what to do. I’ll do anything if I could just move past this.”

“What do you mean?”

“I haven’t been able to sleep much the past couple of days. I keep waking up from nightmares.”

“You are having nightmares?”

“Yes. Horrible nightmares. I don’t remember anything about them, but I want them to go away. I want to be able to close my eyes and not be able to see frightening things even during the day.”

“Have you gone to a psychologist? This sounds more like a personal problem –”

He cuts her off. “No. Someone did this to me. I wronged someone, somehow, and need to make it right. But I haven’t been able to figure out how. I’ve tried apologizing for everything I can think of, but none of that has worked. I’m begging whoever I wronged – please forgive me and undo whatever you’ve done. Remove the curse on me and spare me. I’ll do anything. This is my last chance.”

“I’m sorry? What do you mean, last chance?”

“I can feel something horrible coming for me. I think tonight is my last night – that I’ll be dead by morning if they don’t call it off. Please – the sun is going down already. I beg of you. Otherwise, they’ll find my body tomorrow, and I’ll have an obituary listing Gary Bu –”

The caller’s voice cuts off and Phobos continues, still in a whispery voice with perhaps a note of sympathy. “I’m sorry caller. Our software has automatically disconnected the call to protect your anonymity. I hope you find what you are seeking for and that the universe answers your plea for help. If you need to talk, many resources exist to provide professional help.

“That brings the Apology Line to an end. Remember, the Apology Line is open twice a week. Coming up next, Deimos will bring a special program to address the recent information that has come to light regarding the loroi and what it means for all members of the great family of humanity.”

There is a moment of silence, then Alex asks, “more information on the loroi?”

“Yeah,” the driver says. “I haven’t heard anything I trust, but there was a document dump released today. I was waiting for Radio Free Ares to comb through it like they always do. I’m hoping it’s not too bad – not just because I’ve got money on the loroi, but I’d like to go on existing if we choose the wrong side.”

Alex must have seen her sidelong look since he explains, “most people have bets on which side humanity will ally with. Of course, cadets would not engage in such betting, but if you want, I know a guy who can get you good odds whichever way you want to go.” He winks.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Seven
SpoilerShow
“Hello,” a slightly huskier female voice comes over the radio. “I am Deimos, the other of the twin moon goddesses of Ares. It is my duty to host one part of the continuing conversations on the subject of whether humanity should form an alliance with the umiak or the loroi. I implore all listeners to remember that the stakes of the debate may be nothing less than the fate of humanity.

“Before we begin this process of discussion and discernment, I would ask everyone to lend your psychic energy to the brave men and women of our own Naval Academy. Some of them will be selected to venture into the void sometime next year to make contact. I hope everyone desires for them to have the wisdom and courage to make the appropriate choice, whatever that may be, while entrusted with this sacred duty.

“This support includes the cadets who returned home early from the exercise being conducted. I understand that Lynne Deinner, one of the cadets, is being returned out of medical concern after a harrowing incident. I pray that she is ok, especially as she has come from such a great distance to be at the Academy.”

Beryl sees the cab driver eye her in the rearview mirror for a second, but he does not say anything.

“Ten months ago, the alien ship of the orgus emerged from the depths of space into a remote TCA system. They found protection in exchange for their information. I cannot convey the sadness I felt when I learned that our first contact with the wider cosmos was to be news of war in the heavens, between the forces of the Umiak Hierarchy and the Loroi Union, a war which was spreading in the direction the orgus were fleeing. Since neither side recognizes the rights of neutral third parties to avoid war, it seems inevitable that this war will embroil our planets at some point in the future.

“I have heard from many longtime listeners and students of history on the importance of respecting true claims of neutrality. I share those views, but other species making those same arguments have not impacted the policies of the combatants so it seems unlikely that one more voice will turn the tide to bring sanity to the chaos of war, despite our extensive scholarship on our previous world wars.

“These facts have led to the understandable sentiment of ‘a pox on both their houses’ espoused by the Humanity First organization. These objections to the First Contact mission to negotiate an alliance in this war are understandable if one adopts the premise that that the war will be settled before either side would find humanity. Alternately, one can believe that humanity is not going to be able to choose which side to join. This view holds that it is more likely that, as has happened so many times in humanity’s blood-soaked past, we would be forced to choose a side based on which arrives here first, or which can strike at us most easily. These views are seductive, since they deny any need for us to make a choice.

“Me and my sister have been ambivalent as to which side humanity should join, feeling that the scant information available was a bad foundation on which to build a house that would last. Undoubtedly more will be discovered by venturing into the far reaches of the stars as is our eventual destiny, it seemed to us that information gleaned from the orgus beyond the meager crumbs that had slipped from the tables of those who style themselves the leaders of humanity would be liberated. They day has now arrived as, thanks to the dedication of LegionLeaks, our wishes for information have been granted. This verified information provides many more facts to flesh out previously skeletal discussions of morality."

The voice grows softer, more serious. “While this information is welcome, it is with a heavy heart that my sister and I agree that the data paints a grim picture of both of humanity’s potential allies, but also makes clear which side we should join. I regret thinking that this may be the best-case picture as it seems that now the only way to make one side look better is by revealing horrific acts by the other.

“While it appears humanity still has no good option, this new revelation makes one side appear to be a Faustian bargain that would compromise not just our morality, but also the future of humanity. I will lay out this information first, and accept calls later in the show to discuss the views of our listeners.

“One fact is that the loroi are responsible for two different genocides. Importantly, the first was finished and they felt the full weight of interstellar disapproval long before they decided to undertake the second. The first instance involved atrocities against the civilian population of an enemy nation.

“The second, and I feel, more troubling instance was against a people who had declared their neutrality. The loroi decided that was not good enough, and attacked without that people without notice. The highest levels of the loroi government endorsed this campaign, and many of their war leaders earned decorations from this war crime.

“Genocide is bad enough, but the loroi strongarm their allies, forcing them to ignore these war crimes because the loroi are the only armed force in their Union. As part of joining this ‘glorious’ Union, their allies surrendered their sacred right of self-defense. Can you imagine humanity giving up our military to join an alliance where we are implicitly threated to go along with whatever the loroi decide or they will turn their guns on us? For this reason alone, we should decline any alliance with the loroi.

“We have been told that the loroi are telepathic. While some thought that this rendered any possible relationship with humanity impossible, my sister and I help out hope that the strain from these differences could be overcome. However, the new information shows that the loroi can read the thoughts of other species against their will, and perhaps without their knowledge. As you can imagine, they use this ability to gain the advantage in a diplomatic setting, but they also use it for interrogation, or for torture. Can we respect a species that does not respect the sovereignty of one’s mind?

“Reading the minds of other sentient is bad enough, but there is also evidence that they have changed the thoughts of another species. These aliens, called the golim, were free until they encountered the loroi, who used their mental powers to mentally enslave the golim so completely that they do not even want to be free. They are forced to work in hazardous conditions just to receive praise from their masters. Say what you will about the economic relationship the umiak have with their client races, which I am skeptical of, but humanity would still have its free will intact to yearn for independence that it might one day desire from such an arrangement.”

Beryl feels the blood draining from her face. Luckily, everyone else looks equally stunned, as the voice continues. “Moreover, the loroi have an almost religious belief that they are inherently superior to every other species due to their telepathic abilities. Both their populace and their leaders cannot accept non-loroi as equals. Time after time, driven by these beliefs, they have been driven to force others into wars that they conclude. I could say that the Loroi Union has only fought defensive wars, but I could also say that about Rome.”

By this time, the cab has exited the main road and pulled to the side of the road, but no one makes a move to exit the vehicle.

“Is there any hope that the loroi leadership will pull back from further warmongering and genocides? The previous leader died under mysterious circumstances when a portion of the defensive line gave way and her ship was engulfed in the chaos of war in the ensuring breakthrough. Some in the Union wonder if this leader was considering a negotiated peace to end the war. With strong factions in the government opposing peace, it is possible that the military intentionally pulled back, assassinating their leader by proxy so that the war could continue. Can there be any reason with a government run by assassination and shadowy cabals waiting to stab the back of anyone who disagrees with their policies?

“How can such a treasonous action be supported by the loroi populace? Are they all indoctrinated in the cult of war? It appears that the military is. Keep in mind, this military is over fifty percent of the loroi population. This appears to be the normal status of their society, not a reaction to the demands of the current lengthy war. Try to picture that. For all that we have discussed the bloody history of humanity, the military force is a much smaller percentage of almost all societies, even those who pride themselves on martial prowess. The loroi are dedicated to war to an abnormal extent.

“The remaining populace exists to support the needs of this war machine. Civilians are virtually slaves, unable to improve their status in life, and often denied basic rights, including even the right to have children. Most civilians are soldiers who were expelled from the military for insufficiently embracing the ruling ideology. Everyone, including the rank-and-file in the military, is kept in line by a pervasive telepathic surveillance network that detects any emerging threats and a fearsome internal police force known as the mizol, which quashes that threat, either through mental coercion or more extreme measures.

“Given what we now know, we should call a spade a spade. The Loroi Union is a military dictatorship where the military leaders tell every other member what to do, or else. While the details of promotion in society do not matter to humans, since we can never measure up to even their minimal requirements to be a soldier, those details are not promising for any hope of their society moving in any democratic direction.

“As a free people, we cannot easily ally ourselves with a force that goes wholly against our traditions. Yes, we have not always lived up to our ideals of freedom and equality, and too often we have allied with groups with dubious records. However, there has always been a price to be paid for such convenient abdications of our moral responsibilities, even in cases where history concludes that it was likely the only choice available. If the Umiak Hierarchy are worse than the Loroi Union, we could possibly hold our noses, bite our tongues, and put ourselves under the heel of the loroi if we are forced to choose. Let us assess the umiak.

“It is true that the umiak were prepared for the war. But when faced with such a warlike and, even before the current war, genocidal neighbor, who would not have prepared for war? It would be an act of strategic blindness to not prepare for such an eventuality. While we have seen such blind spots in our own history, we have also seen prescient observations about future conflicts. It is nice to see a potential ally who is not blinded by a desire for peace at the expense of allowing evil to spread.

“An umiak, with its insectoid appearance and harsh speech of clicks, inspires an instinctive fear in many humans. I acknowledge this may be a struggle for many. But I would say that is a far greater sin to judge a species by the guise which they wear instead of the character revealed by their actions. Perhaps humanity, for all that we view ourselves as normal, will inspire similar feelings of fear or revulsion in another species. We would not accept those feelings as a basis for their actions towards humanity. Likewise, we should aspire to better for our own sake.

“While the umiak have sanctioned species, those species reneged on their treaties with the umiak. Can we blame them? There are many instances of similar behavior in human history. Those who abided by their agreements with the umiak seem to be treated fairly. Most of these are allowed to keep self-defense forces, and many even contribute military units that either operate under umiak command or plan and carry out their own operations in coordination with the umiak.

“Moreover, the umiak are a meritocracy. Those who have shown competence and benefit their society gain more importance in the war effort and civilian leadership. Their leaders do not engage in ostentatious displays of their own importance, but are instead humbly dedicated to the general welfare of their people and their allies.

“I think that is a fair, balanced summary of the information that I have seen on this information. Obviously, I feel that the choice is fairly clear. I am certain that the umiak are not benevolent, but in the worst case, humanity would be able to yearn for freedom instead of being subjugated in a manner that denies even that option. Given the stakes, my proposal would be that the expedition being launched should instead backtrack the route that the orgus took, reaching the umiak and showing them how useful we could be as allies.

“After a brief break, I will be taking calls to get your reactions.”

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Eight
SpoilerShow
The cab driver seems to realize they are still in his cab as Alex wires him the credits.

“Sorry, I left the meter running,” the driver says.

“You earned it,” Alex insists. “Thanks for letting us hear that.”

“You’ll be ok out there? People might be riled up after that.”

“Thanks for your concern. I’m sure we’ll be fine.”

Alex leads Beryl to a sturdy door nearby and taps a button on a control panel next to it. “Most people live down below. This lift will get us into the city proper, but it will take more walking to get to the Academy once we are down there.” As they wait for the doors to open, he meets her eyes and solemnly intones, “I am required by law to inform visitors that the floor of the lift moves. Please keep your limbs and head inside of the lift until it comes to a complete stop and the floor indicator turns green. Do not attempt to use the lift during power emergencies, fires, or other environmental situations. You should use the stairs if during those events if you need to travel during those events.

“Ok,” she nods as he stares at her. Is this some kind of dig at Lynne’s colonial status? And did I really sound so condescending during my speech to Alex on the Tempest?

The doors finally open and they enter a sizable chamber. He presses a button on the panel by the door. “The entrance to the Academy is about a third of the way down the city. It takes up multiple floors, but for security there is only one main access point. Multiple egresses are available in case of emergencies. We have to go down about thirty floors, so this will take some time.” As they begin moving, she is surprised to see that the walls and ceiling move with them. It swiftly descends, then smoothly slows to a stop, the doors opening.

From there, the trip to the Academy is fairly quick, but Beryl finds herself very subdued during the walk through the enclosed streets, past buildings whose purpose is unclear. My dream is showing me my worst fear about our contact with humanity. She shivers, and hopes no one notices. Not my worst fear. My worst fear is being on board the Tempest when we come to conquer or eradicate humanity. She breathes and reminds herself that this is a dream as she is led down side streets to bypass protestors angrily yelling and waving anti-loroi signs. Alex never showed any of the fear or hatred that these people are showing. He could be trained to hide it though. But he seemed calm when I sat on his lap – could he be that controlled?

The entrance to the Academy is completely mobbed by people. Fortunately, the angry crowd is visible from far enough away that the two cadets are not noticed as they step into a side passage.

“I don’t think we want to chance that crowd,” Alex says. “They should be gone in an hour or so. Sorry to keep you away from the Academy, but I know a place where we shouldn’t be bothered. It is not too far. Also, we could get some better food than we’ll find at the Academy at this hour if you are hungry.” Beryl nods, eager to avoid the hateful shouts of the people. They do not know you are a loroi.

Alex leads her down a few streets, to a building with a sign reading “The Adrift Astronaut”.

“A bunch of my friends usually hang out here,” he explains as he leads her through the door. The inside is almost totally empty.

“Where is everyone?” Alex asks the waitress who approaches them.

“Either out protesting the loroi or calling in to that radio show to do the same. Or counterprotesting both,” she says. “Anyway, we’re basically closed, but you can stay here for a while if you want to. I wouldn’t want to be seen in a Navy uniform right now.”

"What happened? We caught the broadcast but didn't hear any of the calls."

"A lot of folks are riled up against the loroi and want the TCA to side up with the umiak right now. Some people are arguing that we're being rushed into a choice either accidentally or worse - I admit that it feels that way. Hopefully the facts Deimos cited are wrong for our sakes. There's a lot of time before the Contact mission leaves, thankfully. I think people will calm down by then. The last thing we need is to draw lines we cannot cross without even getting to see the situation as closely as we can."

“Thanks. Sorry to be a pain, but is there any chance we could get some food? It has been a while since I’ve eaten. Are you hungry?” he asks Beryl, who nods.

“I can’t promise much,” the waitress explains as she leads them to a table. “Our chef also left. Just to stop his family from getting in trouble with the ongoing issues,” she adds hurriedly. “I can make some pizza bagels though. I’ve got a bunch in the back, my treat.”

“That sounds wonderful,” he says. “Thank you very much.”

“I’ll even give her the four free tokens for the arcade like this is a normal order. Those are for her use, not yours, Alex Jardin.”

“Scouts honor.” He holds up his hand in some gesture.

She snorts, then nods. “I’ll hold you to that, otherwise I’ll tell the owner to ban your account on it.”

When the food arrives, Alex starts eating without speaking. Beryl takes one bite and chokes, grabbing her water desperately. Alex looks on in concern as the waitress hurries over, but Beryl signals she is fine as she coughs.

Once she recovers, he asks, “something go down the wrong way?”

“No. It’s spicy.”

“It’s just mild pepperoni,” he comments, puzzled. “I suppose they don’t do anything remotely spicy on Esperanza?”

“No, they don’t,” she agrees. If a fungus tasted like this, Tempo would like it. She might still like it.

“I can make up a plate of plain cheese pizza bagels for you,” the waitress offers. “They shouldn’t be spicy, but I never heard of anyone having an issue with the pepperoni either.”

“Thank you,” Beryl says. I wonder if that is something throwing Alex off of his food? Tempo probably still has some of her hideous food, maybe it could spice up the rations we give him to make them more palatable. Hopefully we find something else to do before we need to try that. Beryl accepts the plate of cheese pizza bagels and tries one cautiously. She is pleasantly surprised, though she is not sure what the topping on it is.

“I’ll make a note to only give you very mild food,” the waitress tells her. Beryl thanks her, then the waitress goes back to cleaning the rest of the room.

Alex frowns as he looks at his data pad. “Looks like we have more time to kill. How about I show you how to use those tokens?” He leads her over to a corner of the restaurant, near the restrooms. In the shadows, a display strobes rapidly, flashing a series of geometric patterns. The bold display above it reads Polybius. “This is the only game they have here, so hopefully you enjoy it. I think you will – almost all of the cadets do. It is quite a challenging game, testing both your reactions and problem-solving abilities. I’ll let you watch me play a game or two so you get a feel for the rules of it.”

He taps on the screen, apparently identifying himself. The flashing lights stop, replaced by a swirl of color behind the words, “Welcome back, Guardian of the Garden.” At her glance, he shrugs. “Once you’ve finished a game, it displays a nickname it selects for you. As far as we can tell, it is based on your Academy identification, some kind of translation of your name, but sometimes it seems odd.”

“How so?” she asks.

“Well, my name, Alex Jardin, could be translated as Guardian of the Garden. Ellen’s name should be something about light and churches, but instead, this game decided she should be Amiana. The cadets have made it quite a game to try to guess what it will select, but I don’t think anyone has come close to being right.” He quickly clicks past the screen and the geometric background reappears, with an outline of a fighter craft appearing on the right side and a whirling, multi-colored geometric figure with the number five in its center appearing on the other side.

“The goal of the game is to deplete the numbers on the left by knocking the larger objects it emits into it, without getting hit by anything it emits. Initially, it will be taken down by the number inside the object, but soon extra rules will come in,” he explains as the screen explodes into action. The left side quickly becomes filled with small, medium, and large objects, each a complicated geometric figure. The ship on the right never moves, instead having the object on the left rotate as he moves the stick and fire when he presses the trigger.

“There are many different weapon settings, which will be needed to deal with different color targets. You can also set the speed of the projectile, but you can only fire in time to the rhythm of the music.” Beryl realizes that she can make out a rhythm, very low, coming from the machine. He explains the intricate rules as they appear, slowly working his way deeper into the game. She is impressed with how quickly he can read the situation and manipulate the placement of his ship and shots to his advantage, but she thinks he is slowly losing control as more of the screen swirling background is overlain with geometric symbols. This would be a good aptitude test for a lot of areas. The tenoin and listel would like it. He redoubles his efforts, lasting for five more minutes before one of the shapes intersects his ship and a “Game Over” message flashes.

Beryl blinks as he leans back. “There is no room for error?” she asks.

“No. It is one cold-hearted beast,” he says, patting it fondly as it informs him that he did not make the leaderboards. It lists the top scores. Beryl is impressed to see his Guardian of the Garden tag listed, though it is below Ellen’s alias. “Ellen overtook me shortly before we left for that exercise. I know I can take it back, but I just haven’t been able to yet. You want to give it a try?”

“Ok. But remember that I’ve never seen this before.”

“Of course.” He navigates her back to the main screen. “You’ll have to key in your identification information.” With his help, she pulls it up on her data pad and keys the information in. A “Welcome New Player” message flashes, with the only option being to play the game.

“There is a tutorial, but the game makes you go through a trial mode first to see how far you get before it will show you everything,” he explains. “The difficulty starts off easy, but will adapt to how quickly you are getting used to things.”

Beryl begins, and quickly catches on to the rhythm of moving and shooting. As her score advances, more mechanics are added. Different colored shapes require different types of ammunition to be loaded to deal with effectively, with the shapes indicating how many shots they require. The shape for the larger objects indicates how they interact with the enemy. There are mathematical rules for how much they weaken or, in some cases, strengthen the enemy, requiring quick thinking and reactions to apply them in the right order to get the best effect.

“You are really good at this,” Alex says after several minutes. “You’ve advanced pretty rapidly.”

“It is challenging, but in a good way,” she says, as she reduces the count to zero again and the background shifts into a set of wavy lines and a new, more complicated geometric opponent emerges. “It is like a puzzle, but it requires you to be quick and flexible in the way you think.”

After a few more minutes, she is hunched over, focusing entirely on the screen which is very crowded with shapes. She tries one last ditch effort, but her ship slides into an occupied space and vanishes, replaced by the “Game Over” screen. She feels tension in her muscles as she lets go of the controls and straightens up.

Alex whistles. “You are definitely better at the math portion of this than I am. You might be better at the reflexes than Ellen. She always had the advantage on me in that, but I don’t make the math mistakes she makes when planning how to deal with the patterns so that usually makes up for it. With some more work, you’ll be beating us,” he admits. “Not sure anyone will ever beat the top score.”

“I did that well?”

“It is the best tutorial run I’ve seen. Of course, you had an excellent teacher.” He preens for a second, then continues seriously, “you did very well to learn all of those interactions that quickly. Because this was a tutorial, don't worry about your place on the leaderboard, but it will reveal what is has chosen for your name.”

The screen clears, then displays, “Congratulations and welcome to the game, Listel Tozet Eilis.” The last three words are in Trade rendered with English letters.

“Hmm… I’m sure eilis is Trade for something. I don’t remember what offhand. But I don’t recognize the rest. I’ll have to look to see if that is trade also. Maybe they updated this with the Trade language?” Luckily, Alex is too absorbed in the screen to notice the shocked look on Beryl’s face. She manages to hide it somehow by the time he looks at her.

“That is Trade?” she asks.

“Written in English instead of the Trade script, but yes. I suppose this doesn’t support the symbols Trade uses. But it is weird that it supports Trade at all. Anyway, it will show how well you did.” A list of scores come up, with hers way at the bottom.

“I thought you said I did well?”

“You did, for a beginner. The scores are cumulative, adjusting each time you play, so it will continue to grow as you improve as a player. You still have a long way to go since the cadets have been playing for months. I’m not sure if there is a way to view your score compared to the tutorial. Anyway, you can also see the huge gap between the top cadets and the top scores,” he says, scrolling up.

“That does look like a huge gap. Any idea who the top two players are?”

“No. People have guessed, but no one has figured out who Phobos and Deimos are, and they just trade the top score back and forth.” He looks at the time. “It’s been long enough that we should be fine to get into the Academy now.”

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Two: Dream - Part Nine
SpoilerShow
As they approach the Academy, Beryl is pleased to see that the street is empty save for the two sentries flanking the doorway. Alex nods to them as he explains Beryl’s situation and gets passed through after a quick check of her credentials.

Alex pulls out his data pad once they are inside. “Let’s see where your room is,” he says, typing something in. He frowns. “Apparently the request hasn’t been handled yet. I don’t think anyone is available to get your room ready today since it is so late. Would you mind sleeping in my room tonight?”

Beryl cannot stop her mouth from threatening a smile. He is a male, and obviously sees me as a human female, she reminds herself. He thinks you are Lynne, not Beryl. He hurriedly continues, “I could try to get you into Ellen’s room, but you’d have to clean up after yourself.” Confused, she looks into his eyes.

“Okay,” she agrees.

“Thanks,” he grins and starts leading her through the Academy, pointing out some of the main features. He is really desperate, Beryl decides. She mostly focuses on him, content that she will be able to recall the details if she needs to. Does he want me? We’re both tired from everything, but maybe he was lying when he told me human males did not have any biological needs related to females? Maybe he was just shy around so many women? Since there is one male per female, perhaps jealousy is an issue, so it could be customary to only approach a woman when she is alone?

Eventually, they come to the dormitory area, and then are standing before his door. “This is my apartment; it will be pretty similar to the room you will be given, but I’ve added my personal touch to it.” He fumbles as he pulls the key out of his pocket and she hides a smile.

Human males move awfully swift on mating. Loroi males can be quick, particularly when they are starting to feel the flames, but usually pride themselves on making the night more memorable than just a quick mating encounter. Maybe this is just because Alex is young? Has he not yet had sufficient sexual education? I should have thought to look up human mating activities while I was researching on the shuttle. Come to think of it, the ratio of male to female does not seem to be one-to-one, closer to two-to-one, so maybe he has not been able to mate for a while.

Or this is all a dream and you are more interested in Alex than you want to admit to yourself. That is what Talon or, Azerein forbid, Fireblade would say.

The door opens eventually, revealing a short hallway that leads to a more open room. On the right-side of the hallways is a closet. With a neutral beige carpet, there is a couch in the room on one wall, with a small desk and bookshelf on the other wall. Next to the couch is another door that is closed.

“Welcome to my humble abode,” Alex leads her into the main room. “Those are some of my studies,” he explains as she wanders over to the desk. There is a computer, turned off, but also several books spread out. She reads the titles quickly. Combat Applications of Orbital and Hyperspace Mechanics; The Leadership Mask: Advanced Lessons in Communications and Confidence; Sun Tzu and Clausewitz: A Complete Strategic Synthesis with Expanded Commentaries; The Psychology of Dreams: What Your Dreams Mean; Sabre Fencing for the Complete and Utter Beginner. She frowns, unsure if this is a good or bad sign given that his tactics seemed so bad during the exercise.

“There’s also a small refrigerator and area for food prep,” he adds, pointing out a small machine on the floor next to the desk, and a counter above that box. “Most meals are handled in the mess halls. I mostly keep late-night snacks and beverages for studying. And finally, the bedroom.” He opens the far door with a flourish, looking towards her for a reaction. “It’s not much but hopefully it meets your approval.”

Inside the room, the lighting is dimmer. She spots a large bed dominating the space, with pink and red sheets covering it and many pillows. Petals of some flower, roses the translation in her head informs her, cover the floor and part of the bed. In front of the bed, there is a bucket of ice with two bottles of wine and strawberries, and a fountain of some dark liquid. Chocolate, she thinks, with a surprising pang of hunger. Lit candles encircle the bed on the floor, which seems wholly impractical, and she realizes the light is also reflected by a mirror on the ceiling. On the bed, she notices a set of fancy lingerie laid out. Soft music drifts out of the room.

Beryl smiles and takes a step forward, but collides when Alex turns back to look in at the same moment. They both fall, with him ending up on top of her, his face a few inches away from hers. She finds herself holding her breath as she meets his eyes. What am I feeling towards him? It cannot be love, right? He’s too large, the wrong color, and smells oddly. It must just be a sense of protectiveness. He rolls off of her and she finds herself giggling, like she did when she first earned mating privileges with a loroi male.

“Sorry about that,” he says, sitting facing her with his head down. “Uh, I didn’t… that is, you don’t have to…”

She puts her hand on his chin and tilts his head up, looking into his eyes. “It’s fine,” she assures him. If he went to all this trouble, has he just been rejected by a lot of women? I think this is the part where I kiss him… that is what the male did to me during my encounter.

Before she can make a move, he leans back away from her hand. “No, sorry. Someone is playing a prank, setting my room up like that. We’re just colleagues – friends, hopefully – but nothing more. Ok? I can’t ask you to… it wouldn’t be right.” He nods his head once, as if deciding. “This was just a misunderstanding, and nothing is going to happen, ok?”

He looks so intent, she thinks. “Ok. All of that is a mistake,” she gestures vaguely at the bedroom, hoping there is no disappointment in her voice. “What is going to happen?”

“If you want, you can sleep on the bed,” he says. “I’ll take the couch out here.”

She glances at the couch, which has seen better days, and frowns. “You won’t get any sleep on that. You’ve decided we’re just friends, so we can share the bed.”

He hesitates. “I don’t have a problem sleeping on the couch. And it might be… safer… for both of us.”

“I’d feel awful not only staying in your apartment, but taking your bed from you. If we have to, I can sleep on the couch.”

“I couldn’t ask you to do that. If you insist, we’ll share the bed. I won't smoke tonight so that shouldn't bother you.” She nods her agreement and they start putting out the candles, which are just flames fed fuel by a device that will turn off if they tip over. As she does so, she looks the room over. Other furniture is pushed aside by the overly large bed – a mirror, another closet, and a dresser. Several items are on the dresser top: a clock, a box of vaping cartridges, and several photos on display. Most are of Alex and Ellen, though some also contain others as well. There are two that particularly catch her eye.

One picture is of Captain Hamilton, with the pose and lighting contributing to a sense of resolution. Probably to inspire young officers. The loroi do not use such images, out of concern about the influence an officer might obtain. She tries to picture herself waking up to a similar picture of Stillstorm. Maybe once we prove humanity will be a useful ally. Or maybe not. As much as I admire Stillstorm, she has very demanding standards. I might feel like I’m being judged and found wanting for every second I’m in bed.

The other is a photo of a different young woman. Everyone in the other photos is wearing what she recognizes as variations of the Academy uniform – dress uniforms, combat uniforms, and, mostly, what she assumes is off-duty uniforms. This woman has flowers in her hair and wears a long, flowing red dress. That looks totally impractical. Must be a civilian, but why does Alex have a picture of her? Is she a sister who did not make it in the military?

On the wall above the dresser is a display with a variety of medals and citations. None are for bravery in action or distinguished service. Beryl reminds herself that this is to be expected; even a loroi warrior just out of the diral band would not have such citations, barring exceptional circumstances. She tries to console herself that most of the awards center around strategy and tactics, including games of chess and shoji. He appears to be gifted in such things, despite his recent performance.

Once all of the candles are gone, Alex takes several of the pillows and puts them in a line across the center of the bed. She looks a question at him.

“So that I’ll stay on my side and you stay on yours,” he explains.

She nods. Absent the requirements of a crisis, rules about sleeping with others must be stricter. She cannot stop thinking, maybe I’ve earned his trust as Beryl in the real world?

The two of them end up going to bed, still clothed. As Beryl closes her eyes, she hugs one of the pillows to her face and breaths Alex’s scent off of it.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Three: Awake - Part One
SpoilerShow
Voices flow through Beryl’s awareness as her thoughts float in darkness.

“She’s still breathing, right? I can’t sense anything from her.”

“Yes, she’s still breathing. She’s not waking up though…”

“It’s been so long.”

“I know.”

“Were we all like that while asleep?”

“No, she is the only one who went under a lotai. Did anyone notice anything odd? Everyone seemed to wake up for their guard shifts without issue.”

A chorus of voices answer negatively.

“If anything happens to her, I’ll never forgive you! Please be fine Beryl.”

The last thought finally penetrates the haze in her mind with its sense of anger and desperate purpose. Fireblade? Beryl tries to think, but her thoughts seem to stumble blindly in a perfectly dark void, unsure of how to walk in the same direction.

“I’m here Beryl. Come back to us. Please come back to us,” Fireblade’s sanzai comes to her like a fire in the darkness. It seems to be moving randomly, sometimes towards her and sometimes away. She focuses on moving towards it and starts drawing near it, when it sharply swings away. “I don’t sense anything. Do you, Tempo? I’m afraid I’ll hurt her…”

Suddenly afraid of being alone in her mind, Beryl calls out, “I see you. I can reach you. I’m trying. Why is it so hard to move towards you? Please, don’t leave me here alone.” Her legs are sluggish and her footing uncertain.

“No, I don’t sense anything,” Tempo replies. “She is still breathing though. But how can she be under his lotai? Try probing her. Like you did with Alexander.”

A stubborn, frustrated silence, then “fine, I’m holding you responsible for this.” Softer, in apology, “I’m sorry Beryl.”

An inferno erupts in Beryl’s mind, the light and heat burning her. She flinches, turning her head while she continues forward. In the flash of light, she sees that she is walking over a landscape of bones, some of which roll under foot while others pluck at her legs and feet. She screams mentally, throwing herself towards the light.

Her eyes open and she pants frantically. If she didn’t need air so badly, she would be screaming. A dream, she reminds herself. You were dreaming.

“She’s awake,” Cloud sends happily.

“Thank you for letting me know,” Fireblade’s wry tone cuts through the others’ delight. “Are you ok Beryl?”

“I was… I am…” Beryl pauses, trying to slow her breathing and heart rate. She is sitting on the floor before Fireblade, who is gripping her shoulders tightly. Alex is asleep on the makeshift bed most of the loroi shared in the shuttle. Of course, I’m on the shuttle. “I seem to be fine… but I had the weirdest dream, both earlier and while you were trying to wake me. You said I was under a lotai?”

“You sensed that?” Fireblade asks, sliding around in front of Beryl and looking her over.

“Yes, I heard a bit before that. How long was I asleep?”

“We have been up for thirty-two minutes,” she says, her concern leaking through the shields she usually employs during sanzai. “Hold still,” she admonishes as she tilts Beryl’s head and shines a flashlight, provided by Cloud, into her eyes. Beryl winces at the light, but Fireblade merely tightens her grip and repeats the process, ending by having Beryl follow the light with her eyes. “Your eyes seem normal. Do you think you can stand if I help you up?” she asks, standing up.

“I feel fine,” Beryl grouses. The fact that her annoyance at being viewed as weak is broadcast to everyone irritates her, but Fireblade’s sense of cautious worry makes it fade after a moment. She takes Fireblade’s hand, then winces.

“What hurts?” the teidar asks, crouching over again. She turns Beryl’s hand up, revealing a small pool of blue blood. “Where did this come from?” she asks, as Cloud hands her some antiseptic and a bandage. Cleaning the wound reveals a thin line cutting across her palm. “Not serious, but probably painful enough if you try to use that hand with it exposed,” Fireblade informs her as she puts the bandage on it. “Did you cut your hand on Spiral’s diral-seii?”

“Why would Beryl’s hand be over there? I was on the other side of Talon,” Spiral points out.

“I can’t explain it,” Beryl says. “Unless it was on one of Alexander’s zippers?”

“I don’t see any blood,” Talon reports after looking Alex over for a minute.

“Maybe your own nails?” Fireblade suggests. “Sometimes in a nightmare, it is possible to cut yourself if they are long and sharp enough.”

Beryl nods. “It is possible,” she sends, trying to ignore the doubt that she feels. The cut is a straight line that does not seem to match what fingernails would do.

Alex groans and starts to stir. “Beryl, go with Fireblade to the forward compartment. Tell Fireblade everything you can remember about the dream. We will deal with Alexander for now. Is there anything I need to know that might be relevant?” Tempo sends.

How should – oh, she means was my dream a mental link with Alex? “You can see if he had any odd dreams. The dream might have been something from his past, while he was training to be in humanity’s military.” Tempo nods, dismissing her, so she leads Fireblade towards the cockpit of the ship.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Three: Awake - Part Two
SpoilerShow
When they reach the station before the cockpit where she had learned a portion of humanity’s writings only ten hours ago Fireblade sends, “we’ll talk here,” as she takes a seat in the chair.

“Here?” Beryl questions.

“Yes,” Fireblade replies, her mental shields once more in place for their sanzai. “It is more… comfortable than the cockpit.”

“There is nowhere for me to sit,” Beryl observes.

“You can sit on Alexander but not on me?”

“That was an emergency,” Beryl protests. “We were being shot at.”

“This is also an emergency,” Fireblade notes, her shields clipping her mental voice of all inflection. “You are having odd dreams, under a lotai, and oversleeping.”

“What if I’m sick with some disease from Alexander? Something Desire did not detect?”

“Despite their obvious similarities, I have been assured that humans are very different from loroi biologically, so that the odds of such a scenario is on par with a male overcoming me in combat. This came from two different experts that I trust on such matters.”

Beryl blushes, remembering telling the teidar her assessment. “Then, what happened to me?”

“We are going to determine that. I think it is related to whatever abilities Alexander has. Whether he knows he has them or not,” Fireblade overrides Beryl as she starts to interrupt. “Now, sit so we can keep this conversation private. You still need to work on controlling your mental voice.”

Beryl blushes again. She had asked Fireblade for mental exercises to improve her ability to sanzai at a lower volume when it became clear she would be working on researching humanity, but had not had much time to devote to them. “Fine,” she acknowledges, sitting carefully on Fireblade, glad that the teidar is not wearing her armor.

“Now, tell me about this dream you had.”

The listel gives a brief overview of the dream of being rescued by the human ship, and then recounts it in its entirety, glad for her eidetic memory. With such close contact, Fireblade’s mental shields are less effective, or perhaps she has lowered them, but the teidar shivers as she recounts waking in space. Right, Fireblade survived something similar, Beryl recalls as she continues her tale.

“And the humans did not recognize that you were an alien?” Fireblade asks.

“No.”

“Interesting,” she replies. “From what I’ve heard, dreamwalking usually takes the perspective of the subject of the dream or a slightly offset point of view. I’ve never heard of a dream experience from a different person’s perspective. Have you, Tempo?”

“No,” the mizol’s sanzai answers, clear and smooth. “I am not as well-versed in dreamwalking as you, I’m sure.”

“Of course,” Fireblade replies in a tone devoid of emotion. “We were fortunate to have one teidar in my diral band gifted in the technique. I am sure the mizol are not very familiar with it.”

“Does Alexander seem… odd?” Beryl asks Fireblade, unable to quite formulate what she wants to ask.

The teidar’s lips purse, but before she replies, Tempo answers, “he says he had nightmares, but they seem to relate to the destruction of the Bellarmine – not directly, but they seem in line with what he has mentioned to Reed earlier. If he can be believed, humans do not share our resistance to the unsettling effects of the jump drive.”

The teidar nods her agreement. “He seemed very troubled in his sleep on the Tempest.”

“You will not tell Captain Jardin of any of this. He believes I sent you to the cockpit to see if you could figure out where we are in the system after deflecting from the blast. You may mention Beryl also had bad dreams, but not their contents,” Tempo informs them. “Beryl, do you know enough to read the human language?”

“No,” Beryl admits. “This English that humanity speaks is more complicated than I had thought. I think it would take a few more hours of instruction from Alexander, unless it has even more confusing rules hidden inside of it.”

“Then that is what you will work on today. Also, as time permits, try to work on his pronunciation. If we ever meet the Azerein, it might be well for him to not sound so barbaric,” the mizol decides. “At some point, we will review the contents of your dream, but I imagine that will need to wait until later so that Captain Jardin does not grow suspicious.”

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Three: Awake - Part Three
SpoilerShow
Beryl eats quickly, conscious of everyone paying attention to her as she consumes her rations and ensures that Alex eats some more of the precious human rations. May we find something that he can tolerate soon, she hopes. Then she resumes her instruction on the loroi trade language with Alex, also working to learn the confusing human language.

Frustratingly she makes slow progress, distracted by attempting to tie any of what she learns into her dreams. Try as she might, she cannot remember the language used in her dream – she knows it was English, but outside of a few sentences, it seems whatever translated it stripped out the words and left only the trade translation. Whatever the dream was, it was not a way to teach me this language.

She shakes herself mentally. Maybe the dream is just a dream, like Fireblade says. She has a point that I have been trying to understand humans for long enough that I could be dreaming about them. Alex also looks tired. Is it just the stress of this situation?

Spiral, who is taking her turn monitoring the cockpit and radio, sends, “we are receiving a transmission!” Tempo hurries to the front of the ship as the tenoin continues, “it is Mozin of the Prophet’s Reason, he says he is going to attempt pickup. We should be leaving the shuttle in 2000 solons.”

“To see the day that a barsam has the courage to do what that loroi coward would not,” Talon complains.

Beryl hurriedly explains the situation as she begins packing up anything she has taken out.

“They are picking us up in the middle of the invasion?” he asks. “Can he avoid the umiak?”

Beryl wishes she could reassure Alex. “It would seem so. I am not aware of the details, but if the shuttle continued basically straight after the Gora Relay explosion, with enough velocity we should end up deep in the jump lane for the rendezvous. It it is unlikely any Umiak ship would pursue them directly – since the Clearbrook already escaped in this direction, a lone courier would not be a priority target. From what we saw of their arrival, I do not think they have a good intercept course based on where they entered the system.”

“Ok,” he says, nodding reluctantly. She sees the frown continue on his face, but before she can inquire, Tempo walks into the cargo area they are using.

“Captain Jardin, I am sorry for the danger of the current situation. Captain Mozin is going to fly by our shuttle. He will be able to pick us up. However, the Enemy ships are fairly close behind. We will need to board rapidly for the Prophet’s Reason to make the jump point before the enemy engages them. I cannot guarantee your safety in this matter, but likewise, I cannot guarantee your safety if we stay on board this vessel. I would advise that we take the chance, but I will leave you with the choice.”

“How dangerous is this pickup?” he asks, trying to keep his face emotionless.

“We will need to exit the ship in environment suits as there will not be time to dock properly. Fireblade will secure a line from our shuttle to the Prophet’s Reason and we will cross over attached to it. We will cross in pairs, with one of the pair having experience in this activity. I recommend you pair with Reed, since she is the most experienced crew member who can communicate with you if needed.”

“Fireblade is… oh, right,” Beryl interjects. “You can’t have someone else relay her commands in time if needed.”

“I will take good care of him,” Reed promises her. “Fireblade is going to watch over us as well, right?” Fireblade sends a wordless assent that contains a hint of amusement at her question.

“Hopefully he agrees,” Tempo sends. “Flint is not as experienced and I am not as strong if he needs assistance.”

“If that is your recommendation, I agree. You know your shipmates better than I do,” Alex replies.

“We’re both trained,” Talon and Spiral exclaim, followed by a mental snort from Fireblade.

“When did you last practice?”

“Five… maybe six months ago?” Spiral says after a few seconds.

“It was seven months and eight days ago,” Beryl recites from memory. “And they complained the whole time that they were too good to ever need to do this.”

“Fine,” Talon grumbles. “How are you dividing everyone else?”

“I will take Cloud, Fireblade will take Beryl, Flint will take Talon. Spiral will have to make it on her own – she did have the better marks, correct?”

“Yes,” Beryl replies.

“Do you want me to go last so I can watch over everyone else?” Fireblade asks.

“While I do want you to watch over everyone, my plan is for you to go first with Beryl. It will be easier for you to assist anyone onto the Prophet’s Reason from there, and will get the listel off this shuttle as soon as possible. Alexander and Reed will follow,” Tempo explains.

After a long pause, Fireblade nods. “Understood.”

“There is a mizol rizoiszit named Rose on board. She should be able to assist with the barsam if needed, but remember your responsibilities – she should only be relied upon as a liaison and does not have decision making authority.” Everyone acknowledges her orders, and Reed goes to a storage locker to pull out the harnesses while Fireblade lays out the environment suits.

Beryl relays the plan to Alex, wishing she could sense his emotions as she studies his facial expressions and body language. He agrees with the plan, though wants to make sure he is familiar with the equipment involved. For all I know, he is feeling absolute terror but cannot admit it in front of females. Would it be easier or harder if he looked more different from us? She wonders as she walks him through pointing on the equipment, under Fireblade’s watchful gaze in case she forgets anything. She does not. Partway through, Talon heads to the cockpit to fire up the shuttle and stop their spin.

“Everyone secure?” Fireblade asks. After receiving assurances that everyone is either in the cockpit or behind the door to the cargo area, the teidar manually cycles the outer airlock door. After the atmosphere vents, she unclips and walks back to the cargo door. “Opening the inner door,” she warns, then is pleased when the door slides open smoothly on the automatics.

Beryl steps out carefully and grabs the line Fireblade had slung from the airlock through the cabin of the shuttle. While the zero gravity of the now spinless shuttle should not have been an issue for a loroi trained in zero-g maneuvers, the listel is regretting her own lack of practice despite her memory of every lesson in how to move.

“Just take it slow,” Fireblade tells her, attaching Beryl to herself and then to the line. “I’ll do most of the moving, just try to keep your limbs in and not hit anything.”

Aware that her sanzai reveals her embarrassment at being such a liability that she has to be carried like a child, Beryl nods and is pulled smoothly to the airlock. Beryl marvels for a moment at the size and nearness of Prophet’s Reason, then grows alarmed. The shuttle is being overtaken very rapidly.

While she marvels, a new voice sends calmly, “this is Rose of the Prophet’s Reason. If you are ready, we will send the line over.”

“Send the line,” Fireblade replies, taking up a long pole with a hook on the end. A line snakes out of the darkness, visible only due to the spotlights the barsam ship is using. It suddenly undulates, then starts moving directly towards the airlock as Fireblade mentally grasps it. She gets it near to the airlock door, then fishes it in with the pole. Once the line is secured to the airlock railing, she transfers their lines to it. “Just hold onto me, under my arms, not around my neck.” Beryl reaches around, taking hold of her armor. “And wrap your legs around my waist.” Sensing Beryl’s hesitance, she adds, “if your body starts to twist out there, it could be bad. Stabilizing yourself on me is essential.” Beryl sighs and complies, thankful that Fireblade’s mental shielding is already in place.

The teidar carries Beryl close to the door and in one slow, smooth motion, puts one leg and then the other onto the line, starting to pull them rapidly towards the other ship, using her legs on the line for stability. Beryl focuses on the line speeding past her companion’s body. Is she using telekinesis to help propel us?

“We are nearly there,” Fireblade tells her. “We have already started to slow. There is gravity in the airlock, so we will likely swing a bit as we get there. Keep holding me until I get my feet on the ground, then you can put your feet down.”

Beryl acknowledges, then gasps a moment later as her weight returns. Luckily, the swaying is almost nonexistent, and Fireblade quickly lowers her legs. Beryl is glad to get the weight off of her arms as Fireblade unhooks them from the line.

“I am Rose,” a loroi introduces herself. “The hallway and an adjoining room have been evacuated of air for this operation. The room has seats that those no longer involved in the operation should strap into.”

Fireblade nods and the mizol leads Beryl to the seats, making sure that she gets buckled into an almost comically oversized seat, then the mizol returns to the airlock to assist the others who are crossing.

Once seated, Beryl realizes that she cannot see anything that is occurring. After a small eternity, Alex and Reed enter. Beryl breaths a bit easier as she realizes that her charge has survived.

“How was it?” she asks the soroin.

“Not as bad as I feared,” Reed admits. “He accepted my lead, which I was worried about. But he is heavier and weaker than he looks, and almost fell off when we got into the airlock. Fireblade had to grab him to keep him from falling.”

“How did she take that?” Beryl finds herself curious.

“She raised her shields when she realized there was a problem, so I couldn’t tell. I think it is just normal wariness.”

Once everyone is onboard, the atmosphere starts to fill the room. As it does so, Rose sends, “Captain Mozin is charging the jump capacitors. It will still be 500 solons to get up to speed and the correct orientation for jump drive activation.”

“How close are the Shells?” Talon asks.

“Close enough that it will be interesting if they decide to fire torpedoes. We will know shortly if they do so. We will not have enough atmosphere to unsuit until after the jump,” Rose informs them.

“Beryl, inform Captain Jardin,” Tempo says.

“He is on channel three,” Reed adds.

Beryl quickly conveys the situation, adding an apology.

“Understood,” he says after a moment, his voice clipped by the radio. She frowns, utterly unsure of his emotions.

Rose announces, with Beryl echoing her on the radio, “the umiak have launched torpedoes. Captan Mozin believes we will be able to jump before they intercept, so long as our acceleration holds.” Beryl is surprised to feel a pressure on her hand, and looks down to see Alex squeezing it slightly. She holds still for a moment, unsure, then squeezes back. Is he seeking the feeling that loroi innately have through our sanzai? she wonders. This will be a hard jump for Alexander.

“Jumping in five solons,” Rose announces. Beryl grins in relief so that Alex can see it, then there is a bang and a harsh metallic shriek, and then the jump…

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Four: Nightmare
SpoilerShow
Beryl winces as light hits her eyes. She looks up, seeing the remains of the firepit from her and Alex’s desperate struggle against the cold and wet of the last night. I’m back in this dream, she realizes. A dream I didn’t even remember having while I was awake? Am I just dreaming that I had a dream before? But the Prophet's Reason was jumping - how can I be dreaming?

Alex stirs nearby as she stands. There is light reflecting into their tunnel from the water past the grate, but also some filtering in from a vent somewhere above them. She frowns. Did anyone notice the smoke or light from our fire last night?

“Welcome back, daughter of the trespassers,” the loud voice of the Leviathan conveys an attempt to whisper, but still rattles in her brain. “Pleased to see you again, though I wish it were under better circumstances. Quite the predicament you find yourself in. But I’m feeling generous, especially with our deal, so I’ll give you a fair chance. The tunnels you are in are flooding. You can take your chance in my pond, or you can go deeper to find an exit. Do try to survive - you are perhaps even more interesting than your companion.”

She tries to think, but there is a roaring in her head. Not in my head, she realizes as a nearby puddle shakes. Alex stands and gestures to the water in the channel. She thinks it is higher than it was the night before, and it is definitely more turbulent.

“I think we’re in trouble,” he sends, sounding confused. “Do you know what’s going on?”

“He didn’t tell you? Apparently, we have to go deeper into the tunnels and get out before they flood.”

“Great,” he mutters as she leads him deeper into the tunnels. “Always something new every night.”

“Have you ever been in these tunnels?”

“Not this one, but usually there are access points every few thousand feet. Keep an eye out for a ladder – might be hard to get the hatch at the top open.”

The two hurry on. Beryl cannot help but notice the water is slowly rising. Luckily there are lights occasionally in the tunnel. And – I think that is the ladder up ahead.

“There it is,” Alex confirms. The pair hurry forward, then she frowns as she starts to lose sight of it.

“The lights are going off further on,” she states in disbelief.

The roaring grows louder and she sees a wall of water coming down the tunnel. It nearly reaches the ceiling. She can see debris that the water has picked up, foremost being a full-grown tree. One of the roots catches on something causing it to flip sideways, crashing into the far wall. It skids for a second, then stops moving, cutting the water flow off on that side of the tunnel.

“We’ll never make it,” he protests as she pulls him forward.

“We just need to get to that tree,” she says. “The wall is damaged there, there must be a way through. Besides, we won’t outrun that going the other way.”

Luckily, they are on the side that the tree is sheltering, but they are still pummeled by water cutting around it. Somehow, they get into the lee provided by the crown of the tree.

“I can see light coming through the cracks in the wall,” she says excitedly. “Do you have a tool to pry the bricks loose?” Before she can continue, he rears back and slams his shoulder into the wall. He backs off then with a shout does so again. “Or we could try brute force.” The second blow crumples the wall inward, and the two of them quickly pull at them to clear a gap large enough for a person to enter. They stumble into a new tunnel as the tree starts to creak alarmingly. She slips as she enters, bracing herself for the fall to the concrete but keeps falling into darkness. She has time to think, not again, as the darkness claims her thoughts.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Five: Awake - Part One
SpoilerShow
“Captain Mozin says the jump completed,” Rose announces. “But the Prophet’s Reason suffered damage before jump.”

“A torpedo?” Talon asks.

“It is possible. The barsam say a few torpedoes detonated at long range right before the jump, so shrapnel could have hit the Prophet's Reason. Or something internal could have failed right before the jump.”

“Likely the engine?” Spiral asks as Talon once again berates the officer of the Clearbrook.

“They are not sure, but that seems probable.”

“Is the Enemy going to follow us into this system?” Fireblade asks. Everyone frowns, looking at Beryl.

“Possibly,” she replies. “They may intend to just bypass Azimol. Kikitik-27 was leading a group of heavy ships – if we assume those are to be used to assault the base at Nebel, they may just maintain a hold on Leido Crossroads against the Azimol and Gora jump routes. Pushing into Gora would merely further dilute their forces if they intend to bypass Azimol, which seems to be their goal.”

“Agreed,” Tempo states. “We will have to see what develops. Tell Captain Jardin that we jumped successfully but are evaluating any damage to the Prophet’s Reason. No need to worry him about the umiak yet.”

As Beryl does so, Fireblade remarks, “I do not think he would be unduly concerned. He seemed very calm during the shuttle flight, and even during the crossing.”

“You are sounding like you think he’s a warrior,” Reed teases.

“I would not go that far, but he has done better than I thought he would.”

“You thought he would mate with one of us on the shuttle,” Flint points out.

“I will admit I had concerns about any… male urges he may experience. I am pleased that that did not occur.”

“Would that be so bad?” Spiral asks.

Before Fireblade replies, Rose interrupts. “Captain Mozin is requesting the presence of Tempo, Fireblade, and Beryl on the bridge. He says there is an anomaly that he wants you to see.”

Tempo frowns. “Can nothing on this mission go right? Ok, we are on our way. The rest of you, keep Captain Jardin calm but it may be a while before we have any information. We are unlikely to be in any immediate danger but convey-”

“Your apologies for the current situation,” everyone except Rose chimes in.

“Am I that predictable?” the mizol frowns again.

“I believe that Alexander Jardin has felt the fullness of your apologies for the danger he repeatedly finds himself in,” Fireblade’s answer is deadpan with her shielding in place.

As Tempo leads Beryl to the bridge, Beryl marvels at the size of doors and hallways. “It is so big!” Beryl cannot stop herself from sending. Fireblade chuckles mentally at her sense of surprise.

“You remind me of my first time on a barsam ship,” Tempo says. “The screens do not really do justice to their size.”

“Nor does just reading their species data. Seeing it, it seems much bigger than I thought it would be,” she replies as they enter the bridge. She is surprised to see that none of the displays are turned on.

Captain Mozin, one of three barsam in a discussion, turns towards them as they enter. “Pleased to see you in person again, mizol parat Tempo. And pleased to meet you, teidar pallan Fireblade and listel tozet Beryl.” Beryl can sense his guarded friendliness towards them, but worry almost overpowers it.

“Do not speak aloud unless I tell you to,” Tempo instructs them. “The pleasure is all mine. Your timing is most fortuitous, though I am curious about how you happened to find our shuttle.”

“We were fortunate to be able to extrapolate a likely course from the observations we had made before the destruction of the relay. I’ll admit that I doubted our little brother would have survived. The Prophet must truly have smiled at us.” He seems sincere, though somewhat baffled.

“And our current situation?” Tempo asks, gesturing at the blank screens.

“They extrapolated where we were?” Beryl sends incredulously. “We could have been anywhere in a huge region of space!”

“Yes, it seems farfetched. But he seems to believe that is what occurred, despite realizing the odds against it. In any event, the blade has been forged,” Tempo acknowledges, instructing her to drop the subject for now. He seems pleased that they do not have more questions on how they were rescued.

“The Prophet’s Reason was hit by shrapnel before the jump. The damage is still being investigated, but the electrical grid has been fluctuating. My engineers promise me it will be up momentarily. That should allow us to take a better look at where we are,” Mozin explains.

“He’s hiding something. And he knows that we know he is hiding it. Why?” Fireblade asks.

“It is curious. We will see where he goes with this. Be prepared for if they attack us directly,” Tempo instructs.

“Shall I warn the others?” Fireblade asks, her thoughts betraying her humor at the mizol warning her to be on her guard.

“Yes. Tell them to take no overt action, but to be alert. I cannot imagine the crew thinking they can seize Captain Jardin by force, but best not to take chances.”

“Interesting. Did you see anything before the screens went dark?” Tempo asks.

“You mizol play too many games,” Fireblade complains.

“It is called diplomacy.”

“Not a good look. Everyone was more concerned about the damage and surviving the jump and not where we jumped to.” Again, the sense of not quite truth.

“Like I said, games. Why not accuse him of lying directly?” the teidar states.

“Because he knows we know he is lying. What is more important is figuring out why he is lying.”

Suddenly, the screens come back on. “Good, they have stabilized the power grid. Do any of you recognize where we are?” he asks, slowly turning to the screens. Everyone stares in disbelief.

Beryl is the first to blurt out the truth that is apparent on the screens. “That is Azimol Citadel!”

“And you two see it as well?” Mozin presses the other loroi. The two nod, and Mozin sighs in relief. “Sorry for the deception, but I wanted to make sure you saw it on your own. I trust that the two of you are strong enough to not be influenced by any mental trickery.”

“Whatever do you mean?” Tempo asks.

Mozin grunts. “I’m no loroi, and, despite my religious beliefs, I don’t pretend to understand your sanzai, but please respect that I have worked with mizols on special operations even before this war. I don’t want to know any details, but after the events in Leido-Sala, I am sure I am not alone in my crew in wondering how the Enemy has surprised Strike Group 51 so completely. Though I’m not sure that finding us inexplicably in the Azimol system makes me feel more comfortable.”

“On that count, we are agreed. Have we made radio contact yet?”

“Not yet. We should be receiving something soon.”

As he finishes, a window appears on the display screens. It shows a loroi warrior with her green hair hung in braids that fall to her shoulders. “Alert, Leido Relay to unknown Barsam ship. You are outside of the established defense zone. Please transmit intentions and identification information.”

“Looks like I’m not the only one nervous. Send the normal codes, and inform them that we will need a priority shuttle for ten and a tow,” Mozin orders. “I trust you will want to get Ambassador Jardin to the safety of Azimol as soon as possible? I doubt that the Enemy is going to storm the gates anytime soon, but I would not gamble on it even before the past week.”

Tempo nods. “Are you coming on the shuttle?” she inquires.

“No, I’ll not abandon my crew. Either we will all get shuttled off before the tow or get towed in together. I trust that I will be able to talk to Captain Jardin at some later date?”

“Yes. He is feeling rather ill from the rough jump, but I am sure he would love to speak to you on Azimol,” Tempo says.

“You are fine with letting Alexander speak with Mozin?” Beryl asks, shocked.

“Well, we cannot very well keep him from speaking to any of our allies at some point. But we will need to discuss the barsam culture with him first, to give him context for their unique perspective on loroi and barsam history,” Tempo replies.

“You mean to prevent him from taking their wild ideas too seriously,” Fireblade comments.

The officer reappears on the screen, acknowledging their message. “Alert, Leido Relay to Prophet’s Reason. I am pleased to see you back given the message the Clearbrook relayed from Gora. A Highland shuttle has been dispatched to transfer Ambassador Jardin, mizol parat Tempo, teidar pallan Fireblade, and the rest of their entourage to Azimol. Tempo has authority to determine if anyone else can ride on the shuttle. A tug has been dispatched to tow the Prophet’s Reason in for repairs.” After providing ETA’s for these vessels, the officer signs off.

“Almost back to where we started,” Fireblade comments drily as they exit the bridge.

“We will have different pilots this time,” Beryl points out, her sanzai making clear her unhappiness at being unnamed in the message and that Spiral and Talon will be free to pester Alex during the flight.

“And a different destination,” Tempo says. “I hope this does not cause much complaining from Captain Jardin about his time table.”

“I am sure he will be understanding. He did see the invasion force, after all. I would worry more that he decides the loroi are a hopeless underdog at this point,” Fireblade replies.

“The situation is not that grim, surely,” Beryl says. “Ashrain is on the way to ensure the defense force is in place.”

“Yes,” Tempo sends. “This is a grave but manageable situation. But does he realize that? Or is he likely to think he would be tying the fate of his people to a ship that is foundering?”

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Five: Awake - Part Two
SpoilerShow
Alex agrees when he hears about the change of plans, though he seems subdued as he walks with them to the waiting shuttle.

“Was he sick again?” Beryl asks.

“Thankfully no vomiting, but he has complained of headaches and nausea again. I think he has also been thinking of the enemy forces he has seen,” Reed reports.

“And the barsam did not try to speak with him?” Tempo inquires.

“No. They led us to a spare room, but did not attempt to speak to him and have left us alone since then.”

“Good.”

“Has he voiced any desire to speak with them? Concern about the enemy attack?” Beryl asks.

“He did wonder if they were going to ride on the shuttle.” Reed says. “He has not made any other comments other than mentioning a headache and nausea. When we asked, he claimed they were from the jump, which I believe. Some of us have felt a bit off from that jump, so I am pleased he has held up as well as he has.”

“Maybe it would be best if you tell him about the soia and the religion of the barsam,” Tempo suggests. “It would take his mind off of the immediate situation, which might help his physical distress.”

“Are you sure that is a good idea? You did cut Captain Mozin off on the bridge of the Tempest,” Beryl says.

“We were under time pressure there since Captain Stillstorm was returning. I had to recognize Captain Jardin as the ambassador of humanity or he would have been thrown in that closet again immediately. I wish I was able to do more to show that we can be friends with humanity. Diplomacy, even among the loroi, is not among the many talents Stillstorm possesses.”

“Is there anything I should avoid?”

Tempo pauses for a second. “No. We will not be able to keep him to ourselves forever, and seeming to do so could damage his trust in us. Better that he gets as much information as we can provide on this subject. Just make it clear that it is your understanding when you cover the barsam view of the religious implications. Captain Mozin will want to meet with him at some point on Azimol, and I’d like to be clear that we did not try to mislead Captain Jardin. Do you think you are up for that? I am not sure how familiar you are with the peculiarities of the barsam religion.”

“I am not well versed in their religious beliefs, but I am conversant in their views of the soia and their descendants.”

“That should be sufficient for now, and maybe is safer than trying to explain the nuances of the religion of a member of the Loroi Union. I don’t think Mozin would complain about that.”

“Do not worry, Alex,” Beryl says, deciding to reassure him. “The Enemy is certainly bypassing Azimol so that they can attack Nezel in force. That is a most serious matter, but I am confident that we are in little danger even before we reach Azimol Citadel.”

“I am not concerned about our safety,” Alex replies. “I’m not well versed in your defensive strategy, but this seems like a very serious attack that is threatening to breakthrough into undefended territory. I’m worried both for the safety of the loroi that I have met on the Tempest, but I’m also not sure how this impacts my mission. I intend to keep trying to come to a diplomatic agreement with the loroi, but I am concerned that I am discussing matters with the losing side of the war.”

Beryl cannot help but glance towards Tempo as she responds. “It is true that this is a very serious situation. The main defensive line at Nezel will hold, especially with Ashrain and the Black Talon bringing them warning of this assault force, but there will undoubtedly be serious losses, especially among the forces from Strike Group 51 which, as you likely remember, are not designed for static defense against an enemy force. We will see what information is available when we arrive at the station, but I am sure that the loroi fleet will hold against this assault.”

“You seem worried, though,” he points out.

“Almost everyone I know is involved in this fighting, and I am not able to help them. I know that learning about you is more important, but I am not used to being removed from the threats to Strike Group 51.”

“I see,” he says after a brief pause. “Sorry if I have disturbed you. As you say, we will have to see when we arrive at Azimol. Worrying about this won’t help us. I’m not sure what we should talk about though – I can always go over more English words or other information if you want.”

“Actually, I am supposed to be distracting you from this matter,” she admits. “Unfortunately, Captain Mozin could not make time to speak with you about this. I hope you do not view this trying to influence you unduly without his awareness. I am sure you have noticed the similarity between yourself and the loroi.”

“Yes, I happened to notice that. And that that seemed to disturb several of the loroi.”

“That implications of that similarity explains why many loroi are suspicious that you are a ploy by the enemy.”

“I understand that the loroi are suspicious that I am a trick of the Enemy,” he admits. “But I am not sure I am following.”

“I will explain, but it may take a while. In the Loroi Union, there are several species which share a specific biochemistry, despite achieving spaceflight on different worlds from each other. This biochemistry is also shared by non-intelligent animals and plants on many different planets. This biochemistry is known as soia-liron, and the intelligent species include the neridi, the barsam, and the loroi. Of these species, a species that are physically similar to the barsam has been discovered. However, the differing biochemistries indicate that the barsam were designed in the image of that species, but are otherwise unrelated.”

“You are saying that the barsam were designed by some other species?”

“Yes. Our history tells us that there used to be a species known as the soia that entered this region of the local cluster a long time ago. Eventually, they were forced out of the area, but they seem to have left an imprint in the creation of these species as well as terraforming the planets in this region of space. We think it likely that all of the soia-liron species were based on template species.”

Alex sits for several seconds. “Wait – if you are saying the barsam were designed off of other species, then are you also implying some would claim humans were the template used by the soia to create the loroi?”

“Yes,” she nods. “Since no species had been found that seemed similar to the loroi, the loroi have tended to believe that they were designed in the image of the soia. This has long been a point of contention in the Loroi Union, as other members felt it put the loroi on an undeserved and unassailable pedestal. The appearance of humanity challenges that assumption, which is one of the reasons for the hostility you faced on board the Tempest. The other reason is that the Enemy has tried to trick us in the past with various chimeras, so some view you as a similar trick designed to cause discord in the Loroi Union when it needs to stay strong.”

“On the bridge with Captain Mozin, he was mentioning this to Tempo?”

“Yes,” Tempo answers. “I cut him off since he was antagonizing the bridge crew of the Tempest. Despite his convictions, he is a very useful ally, as I am sure you would agree.”

“Fair enough. You all believe that these species were designed by the soia?”

“Yes," Beryl resumes. "At least, it is clear from the various research that the different species have done. The ecology of the planets that the loroi are on is fairly limited and does not seem to have any evolutionary ties to one another. The one planet that does seem to have a more mature natural ecology, the biochemistry is totally different from that of the soia-liron life forms. Unfortunately, that does not prevent the native life from trying to prey upon them.”

“I hope I do not offend you, but, how big of an issue is it to find out that the loroi may have been designed based on humans instead of the soia?”

“How big of an issue would it be for humanity to discover they were designed by aliens instead of evolving naturally?” Tempo counters.

He pauses to think. “I see your point. I am not sure what effects there would be, though I do not think it would be a big deal since there is plenty of evidence of human evolution." He pauses, then sighs, "but there would probably be enough doubts to cause a problems in our society, especially when certain groups use it for their own purposes.”

“Why? Have there been any signs of alien activity in the past on your home world, or in the systems humanity has explored?”

“No,” he laughs. “There were always some crazy theories that the only way certain ancient structures could have been built was with alien technologies, but there was never any evidence to support that.”

“What kind of structures?”

“Usually rocks piled on other rocks. Wood may have been used in the construction, but it did not leave any trace given how long ago the structures were built. Most of the arguments revolve around people not understanding how their ancestors could have obtained the mechanical advantage needed to move the rocks, or how they would decide on the orientation of the structure since they tend to have many alignments with the sun and moon during the course of an Earth year. The scientific consensus is that these people underestimate the intelligence and capabilities of the builders. I don’t remember all of the details, since I watched the shows promoting the idea of ancient aliens on Earth back when I was young. Even then, it was a very fringe theory and has been widely discredited.”

“Your human government allows programs promoting ideas so far outside of the mainstream?” Beryl asks, stunned and more than a little horrified. “Why?”

“We can ask him about it later,” Tempo sends as she senses Beryl’s distaste at disinformation being spread.

He looks at Beryl sheepishly, obviously noticing her distaste, but answers. “Much of humanity values the freedom to exchange ideas. This theory did not breach any of the limits placed on that freedom. It seemed harmless at the time, though I suppose it would gain new life with news of aliens that seem similar to humans. Especially with your psychic abilities.”

“Why? More of your ancient stories?”

“Something like that. Some of the theories were based on using telekinetic abilities to lift large amounts of material as the only way to move the building materials. I am assuming that the true believers won’t notice the difference in telekinesis that can shove a person and telekinesis that can lift several tons of rock. Not that we ever had either, they were just stories made up to entertain people.”

Beryl ignores Fireblade’s mental laugh at the thought of any teidar doing such manual labor. “Those do not seem to be the type of signs I was thinking of.”

“Do you think this would be a big issue for human-loroi relations? As far as I know, humanity doesn’t have any psychic abilities, but as far as I knew, I didn’t have this lotai either.”

“I admit that I do not think it would be as big a deal as some believe, but that may be my relative inexperience,” she admits. “Your lotai is a serious issue though. Most loroi find it difficult to trust anyone whose intentions they cannot gauge with sanzai. And I am not sure what the barsam would make of your lotai either.”

“What do you mean? I was under the impression that only the loroi had sanzai.”

“That is correct. However, the barsam have developed various religious beliefs concerning sanzai. I am not sure how they would interpret your complete absence from our sanzai. They believe all sentient life is linked, which is how they explain how sanzai works. The obvious interpretation is that humans are not intelligent, which I doubt they would believe since you obviously are. But the discovery of such a complete lotai might destabilize their society.”

“I see how that would be a concern. I take it they do not know about the lotai yet?”

“No. We thought it best not to tell them while we learned more about you,” Tempo says. “Unfortunately, none of us are very knowledgeable of their religion.”

“I’d like to hear anything you do know. If nothing else, it will take my mind off of our current situation.”

Beryl says, “I have heard some of their stories, but keep in mind that I have not studied this, so I undoubtedly will not convey the significance properly. I would hate for you to think I misled you on purpose, so you should ask a barsam about this.”

“I understand, but please tell me.”

“Very well. The barsam religion teaches that the soia are angelic creatures called the gatherers that came to this world from a higher dimension through a spatial anomaly called the Well of Souls to care for this world, which existed in a state of harmony and plenty. Over time, the species of the region grew divided and warred upon each other. Since the gatherer’s ability to interact with this world was limited, they created the soia-liron species in the image of the existing species, with the goal of leading the world back to unity, partially through the introduction of advanced technology that was gifted to these species.”

“Given the current state of the region, I take it they have an explanation for why this did not work out?”

“Yes. Over time, the servants of the gatherers forgot their original purpose and slowly turned to evil. War and suffering once again spread across the area. Over time, much of the knowledge and technology of the past was lost and the ancestors of the soia-liron species were reduced to pre-technological civilizations on various planets. The barsam were reduced to a single planet and were wracked with wars that ended many of their civilizations. They believe that only the discovery of their past in ancient ruins and the religious beliefs this inspired saved their species from these wars, and they believe that the soia-liron species are called to take up their original mission from the gatherers.”

“How do they intend to bring peace to the region?”

“I do not mean to alarm you about their intentions. Almost all of the barsam are pacifists, with only a few exceptions such as Captain Mozin, who still prefers to avoid combat if possible. There are doctrinal differences, but all of them prefer to convert by example, not by force. They also believe in the interconnectedness of sentient races, and that while the soia-liron species have a unique duty to be a messenger of peace, the fact that they were corrupted should keep them humble.”

“I think I understand. This interconnectedness of all sentient life is in conflict with my lotai?”

“Perhaps. I am not a barsam religious scholar, so I am unsure how they would interpret it. My understanding is that they believe sanzai works due to this interconnectedness, so logically, if one were immune from sanzai, one might not be connected to others in this way. But they might have a different explanation for it that would not cause any hardships for human-barsam relations,” she admits.

“Do the loroi have any theories about the lotai covering me? You asked earlier if is was something I was consciously generating, but could it be something I am doing without my awareness?”

At Tempo’s urging, Beryl nods. “Perhaps. We have discussed several possibilities, but they are based on nothing more than speculation. One theory is that the soia altered humanity in such a way to inhibit any mental abilities they might have possessed, and the lotai is either a side effect of that process or was actually the effect that they desired.”

“Why would they do that?”

“According to our legends, the soia-liron races served the soia on vast spaceships that travelled throughout this region. It is possible that the soia altered humanity to ensure that their activity in the region was undetected, or to prevent the loroi from detecting humanity. Alternately, perhaps humanity developed the lotai to hide from the soia, or perhaps some other predator in your past that had similar mental abilities.”

“That seems… well, I suppose we would not really see any evidence in the fossils we have available,” he admits. “Thank you for sharing your theories.”

“As I said, this is all speculative, thought it seems clear that the soia knew of humanity and used them as the basis for the design of the loroi.”

“If there is nothing else,” Tempo interjects, “it is a long flight to Azimol and I am sure were will be busy once we arrive. I think it would be best if we get some sleep before then.”

“Ok,” Alex leans back in his seat and closes his eyes.

“What will we do if I share his dreams again?” Beryl asks Tempo. “Or if I go under his lotai again?”

“We will slay that foe when we get to her,” Tempo reassures her. "But if you do, try to learn as much about humanity and Alexander as you can without them being too obvious about it. Anything that would indicate if the dream is based on reality or is a flight of fantasy that he is creating as some species do when they dream.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Six: Dream - Part One
SpoilerShow
“Ain’t it fun, ain’t it fun, baby now you’re one of us,” a voice blaring cheerfully wakes Beryl. She sits up, shaking her head as she comes face to face with the oversized teddy bear she is still clutching to her chest. So I am back in this dream, she thinks.

She hears water running from the bathroom as she finally gives up on figuring out how to silence the noise coming from the digital clock. If I am reading this right, I am surprised he is up so early, she thinks. He slept much more on the Tempest. Though, I suppose he didn't have much else to do on the Tempest. As she looks idly around the room, not wanting to interrupt Alex in the bathroom, someone knocks on the front door.

“Alex!” a woman’s voice calls. “Alex, are you up?”

He hurries out of the bathroom, naked save for a towel around his waist. “I’ll be out in a minute!” he yells, pulling Beryl toward the closet on one wall of the bedroom. “I’d hoped she wouldn’t – look, you can’t be seen here. Sorry, but I need you to hide until she’s gone.”

“You’ll get in trouble if she sees me?”

“Yeah. Sorry, I shouldn’t have had you stay the night.”

“Ok,” she says, getting in the closet. When the door closes, she is plunged into darkness.

“Alex, if you don’t open this door in five seconds,” the woman calls.

“Coming,” Alex replies as Beryl hears the sound of a drawer closing hastily, then a door opening. I suppose I should wait for Alex to let me out. Listening carefully, she can still make out their voices.

“I thought you were off-world until tonight?” Alex asks.

“I was going to be, but it got transferred to someone else at the last moment. Sorry, I didn’t hear you were back, but I got here as soon as I heard.”

“Oh. Well, I’m sorry you didn’t get to space.”

“It’s fine. I’m glad that we get to be together. I’ve missed you while you were gone.” There is a long pause, then, “did you miss me?”

“Oh, yeah. I missed you too.”

“I’m so glad Alex. Oh, you definitely did miss me,” her voice enters the bedroom. “You didn’t need to do all of this.”

The radio shifts songs, with a man singing, “wish that you were naked, strip it down.”

“Well, I… I wanted to surprise you.”

“Really?”

“Absolutely. I just wanted to make sure it was all ready for tonight.”

“You didn’t have anyone over to try the bed out? Any women?”

“No, I wouldn’t do that.”

There’s a long pause, then, “ok, I believe you. And I am surprised. This is great – my favorite colors for the bed and roses. Some wine and candles would make it perfect. If you have time, we could test the bed right now.”

“Uh…”

Something thuds against the door, and the woman’s voice is close. “We could spend a long weekend together in here. You could show me what those pilot hands can do. It’d be a lot of fun.”

“Well…”

“Come on, you went to all of this trouble. Even wearing vanilla-scented cologne? I could educate you on a lot of things those boring classes won’t teach you. And it’d help you at the Academy. Put in a good word with the dean about your hands-on studies and what a good student you are, putting in long, hard hours.” Is she proposing mating for advancement? Beryl thinks, horrified.

“Hmm…”

“You stick with me. I can get you some great recommendations. You’d love being assigned as an officer under me. I can be very good for your career if you just let me.”

Suddenly, a phone rings. “Captain Caitlyn here. No, the paperwork should have already been completed… fine, I’ll be over to deal with it.” The woman sighs. “Some paperwork didn’t get filed properly so I have to go straighten it out. Sorry, lover boy, but I should be able to see you tonight to make sure you get proper use out of this bed.” There is a giggle and the sound of a door slamming shut.

After a few seconds, Beryl hears a long exhale, then a muttered, “oh crud” and the closet door opens to reveal Alex looking mortified. “I can… could you please just not mention this to anyone? I’d really appreciate it.”

“Ok,” she agrees, still in shock.

“Appreciate it. I’m really sorry about this.” He suddenly realizes he is half-naked. “I’ll finish getting dressed in the bathroom, then I’ll show you where to get breakfast.”

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Six: Dream - Part Two
SpoilerShow
Alex leads Beryl to a mess hall that looks much like a loroi mess hall. I suppose some things are fairly universal, she thinks. There are a decent number of people here eating alone. Are humans less social than the loroi?

“Do people normally eat alone here?” she asks Alex as he leads her past the food area. He grabs two bagels and some sort of topping to spread on it, and a bowl of cereal. He frowns as he looks at her empty tray, so she adds a bowl of the same cereal to it.

“Most of the groups that eat together are currently off-world, on a different schedule, or on vacation. And usually lunch is a more social time, since a lot of people are still waking up during breakfast. Speaking of waking up,” he gestures at a machine as he puts a cup under the dispenser and presses a few buttons. With a ding, a stream of brown fluid pours into the cup. “Coffee, the drink of the gods. Do you want some?” She nods, having noticed that almost everyone has cups from this machine. He fills a second cup for her. “Careful, it is hot,” he says as he puts it on her tray. He grabs two glasses of orange juice and then leads her to an empty table.

“I don’t really know any of the people here,” he explains. “So, any questions?”

Better to not ask about that woman. “What are we doing today?” she asks as she eyes the steam coming off of her coffee.

“We have to pick up your own data pad today. That should come with a list of courses and videos of all of the lectures so far. You’ll have to start reviewing them all. My opinion, and don’t tell anyone this, is that they just want to keep you busy. We’re halfway through the semester, so I cannot imagine they are grading you on any of this, but it is a good opportunity to get the theory down and have an easier semester in the future. But we’ll have to see what they say about your workload. If you want, we can go to the library to study. I have to write a few papers on tactics that have been used in system defense, but I can help you get started and maybe answer any questions you have.”

He pokes at his cereal for a second, then continues. “Not to pressure you, but given what you went through, psychological counseling is available. It is confidential and it won’t impact your military career in any way whether you see a counselor or not. I’ve had a good experience with Dr. Frasier.” He fishes in his pocket, pulling out a slightly bent card that he puts on the table. “Her number is on there, if you want to set up an appointment or even just to talk.”

“I’ll think about it,” she says noncommittal. I don’t think I could hide from a determined questioner, she thinks as she takes the card. When her hand closes on the card, she sees an image in her mind. Alex, face etched in pain, grabbing his leg while his foot is bent sideways. The image vanishes as quickly as it came.

“Like I said, no pressure. You don’t even have to tell me when you make a decision either way. Now, we’ve got 10 minutes to finish breakfast and then have a leisurely walk over to the Administration building for your pad. Don’t get too used to this calm pace – whenever they decide you can take classes, mornings and afternoons will be packed with lectures and studies.”

After picking up her coursework, Alex leads her to the library. “This is where most people study when they do not have classes during the day. Returning to your room before the evening is frowned upon by the instructors.”

“This place is huge,” Beryl says, looking around as he leads her past several floors that only have a few people.

“Almost all of the students are gone for the exercises. This place is more crowded normally, but is built to hold more students than the Academy has currently. Most students tend to get used to staying in the same area of the library, since most of the information students need is available digitally,” Alex says as he guides her to a row of desks in front of a set of screens that show a camera view of Mars from space, with Earth barely visible in the background. “This is my favorite spot.”

“You really do like space, don’t you?” she asks.

“Absolutely. Getting to go out in space regularly would be a dream. Well, I suppose the way things are going, I’ll get to do that daily on a system patrol craft.”

“That bad?”

“Maybe I’m being paranoid. The instructors love to make everyone feel on edge about how well they are doing. I have to write up a report on what went wrong with my tactics for the exercise,” he winces. “Anyway, I’m sure you have coursework to review. I’ll leave you to it, but ask if you have any questions.”

Settling into the study area, Beryl turns on her data pad and starts reviewing the course list. Hopefully this is somewhat useful. She sees that the courses she has been given are a mixture of modern military theory, math, and some history courses, along with a whole series on the Trade language. At least this should help speed up lessons with Alex. Or would that be an issue? Tempo did not want Alex informed of the dreams yet, but anything I experience here could expose that truth to him. Maybe that would be better. I did lecture him on how the loroi are open and honest, and here I am being the opposite. She has a point that there are a lot of areas where a simple misunderstanding could lead to tragedy, but are keeping secrets also not a potential mistake?

Seeing that much of the lectures are audio only, with some slides that she can look over at her leisure, she decides to listen to a historical lecture on some conflicts called the first and second world wars while searching for more information on other subjects. It would take her a bit longer to absorb the audio information, but she has always been skilled at the technique, which is taught to listels at a young age.

On a whim, she searches the network for Radio Free Ares and finds a site dedicated to the programs aired on the pirated radio broadcast. She navigates to the special on the loroi that was aired. There is a link to the information used in it, but it just seems to be a report that does not include many of the primary sources. Still, it does appear to be an official government document expressing severe concerns about the loroi. I’ll have to tell Tempo about this. Alex did not seem that scared of us though, so maybe this is just a figment of my imagination, a projection of fears I hold for how Alex might view us.

Frustrated, she clicks to leave the report and ends up back on the main site. Seeing a link on psychic phenomena and humanity, she clicks it. The announcers did mention psychic energy. I wonder what they meant – are these just the old stories Alex mentioned?

A page comes up on beliefs about psychic powers throughout the ages. She is taken aback by the disclaimer on how much can be known about the past and the complexity of testing for psychic potential. Perhaps there is no history of psychic abilities. Or could it be due to the human lotai? If most humans are under a lotai without realizing it, sanzai would be hard to notice? I cannot even notice my sanzai here. And most loroi have no ability beyond sanzai, so perhaps humans with other abilities are so rare as to not leave much of a trace beyond old stories.

Reading on, it describes the first psychic experiments that were documented extensively almost two hundred years ago. She is intrigued by the pictures of bent forks and spoons. Who would think of doing such things? I will have to ask Tempo and Fireblade if this is something done to test for telekinesis. I would not think so, but maybe it is some other ability I have not heard of. She perks up when she reads about the government’s interest in psychic abilities for spying, and the use of remote viewing. That sounds similar to farsensing. I am not sure if farseers can ever see the location they are looking at – maybe it is only possible for something closer to the farseer. After all, these experiments were all confined to a single planet. She is disappointed to read the accuracy of the experiments, and that the work was eventually discredited and shut down by the government. She is unsure what to make of the final statement it provides on these programs.

The page then shows some more recent information on lucid dreaming and other psychic phenomena. Interested, she clicks for more information, frowning as the language grows increasingly vague. None of this sounds like anything I have heard of. Perhaps I should do some more research to confirm this. Deciding to give it one final try, she clicks on some of the older historical cases, then sighs after scanning a few. They were not lying about the lack of documentation for these. Any of the divinations they mention could have been luck.

As she considers closing out to start a new search, she sees one final link that piques her interest: psychic vampires. The text is perhaps even more disappointing, consisting of conjecture on individuals who leave others feeling drained or depressed, possibly as a result of leaching off of their psychic energy or life force. The article admits that of the documented individuals who seem to cause these feelings, other credible explanations have been offered, usually of psychological or emotional manipulation, but it still goes on to offer some advice on potential methods for psychic self-defense, which sound nothing like the basic shielding lessons she had learned as a child.

She closes and starts a new search, immediately finding several reputable results debunking psychic abilities. The few that seem supportive are just not as well documented as the others. Maybe this is just a joke – something to keep the mood of the radio program intact. I’ll report all of this to Tempo, just in case.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Six: Dream - Part Three
SpoilerShow
In the evening, Alex and Beryl head back to The Adrift Astronaut. Inside, about a third of the tables are occupied by groups of people eating. Humans are very centered on food as a social experience. I wonder if Alex would do better with someone eating with him? Maybe even just watching him eat, she muses, remembering some of Reed’s reports on the effects of his eating. A woman wearing a uniform that looks like it is very loosely based on an off-duty Academy uniform waves them in, then Alex leads her to an empty table.

Alex says, “I recommend we share a small four-cheese pizza. It is a really good deal here, and something of a specialty. It shouldn't be spicy.”

“Sounds good,” she agrees.

A waitress, different from the one she had met before, stops over. “Hi Alex. Who is this?” she says, turning to Beryl.

“I’m Lynne,” Beryl says.

“She just arrived from Esperanza for the Academy,” he adds.

“Isn’t it late to be enrolling?” the waitress asks.

“There was a bit of a mix-up when I was recruited,” Beryl says.

“Well, welcome to the Academy. I’m sure Alex is doing fine showing you around. What are you having?”

Alex orders for them. Once the waitress left, Alex says, “I’m surprised she hasn’t heard about you yet. Must be the loroi information is dominating the rumor mill right now. Anyway,” he changes the subject, “how did your studies go?”

She frowns. “I think it went well, but I am up to sixty-one rules of space tactics, all of which claim to be the first rule and all of which are different.”

“Yeah, that is the authentic Academy experience,” he laughs. “The same instructor will have multiple most important things to remember. But really, sixty-one? You kept track?”

“Yes,” she says, “I have perfect recall, so it wasn't that hard.”

“Wow,” he replies. “That must come in handy.”

“Sometimes. Anyway, I’m about to start on the second week of lectures.”

“Really? That quickly?”

“Yeah, I did a bit of experimenting and found I can understand the lectures at 300% speed, so it has been going fairly quickly.”

“300% speed?”

“Is that odd? It seems more efficient that way. Though sometimes I have to pause to review before continuing.”

“I think the fastest person in our current class goes through the material at 175% speed. You actually understand all of that?”

“Do you want to test me?”

He laughs. “Not here at least. Just make sure you are understanding the material. I’m sure the teachers will have some way to measure you but I haven’t heard what they are doing yet.”

The waitress brings their food and drinks, water for Beryl and a beer for Alex. Beryl manages to hide her amazement at the size of the pizza. Do humans have very inefficient metabolisms to be able to eat this much?

After she leaves, Beryl asks, “how is your paper going?”

“Not so good,” he answers after a moment. “I’ve reviewed about a third of the recorded exercises so far. It doesn’t seem to me that any of the tactics have a chance to save the system, but are just ways to slow down the loss of the system.”

“Sometimes that is essential,” she points out. “Delaying the attackers to allow other forces to get in position for a more pivotal defense?”

“Theoretically, I agree,” he says, “but I feel that in reality, humanity doesn’t have the forces to split them in that way. I don’t think any enemy force that is weak enough to be slowed by a picket force would be much of a threat to the main force of the fleet.”

“You don’t think the fleet would be deployed in smaller groups? To be able to cover more avenues of attack?” Beryl doubts that anything humanity can field could hold up to any but the most anemic of enemy forces, but is curious about his thought process.

“I don’t think that will end up being the plan adopted. For one, the most important principle of space combat is –”

“Not to divide your forces,” she completes.

“Exactly. Though there are plenty of counterexamples in history, no one ever got court-martialed for not risking defeat in detail. I realize that there is some concern since the enemy could potentially attack from different routes, but I doubt that splitting the fleet up will allow for an adequate defense of any route. I think we will need to rely on a network of courier vessels to bring warning of which set of jumps the enemy force is using to approach. The time advantage of being able to use light speed communications within a system would allow the fleet time to get in position in an appropriate bottleneck system in time. I just hope the full weight of the fleet, in close proximity to the entry point, allows us to punch up enough against whatever the enemy force is.”

“What if the fleet doesn’t have the mobility for that? There could be two possible routes of attack that they could not cover in time.”

“That is possible – hopefully we scout out enough to not run into that issue. If that is an issue, I think we have to gamble on which route the enemy is likely to use. Unfortunately, the orgus ship made clear how big the technological gap is – you haven’t gotten there yet in the course lecture. That class was a very sobering one. I wouldn’t want to try to get in a war of maneuver with ships that can go twice as fast. And that is a civilian ship. I expect the enemy forces to have 20 gravities of acceleration.”

“Ok,” she says, interested, “say I’m convinced on your strategic argument. But what about the tactics that were displayed in the exercise?”

He winces. “I won’t deny it, the tactics we deployed were terrible. I’m not sure how to explain what happened… it was a very poor showing.”

She sighs, thinking she has an idea of the issue. “Those weren’t the tactics you drew up, were they?”

He slumps. “No. When we were planning out the exercise, each of the different commanders had their own plan. I finally convinced them that we would try out different plans on each exercise to confuse the opposing force, but I guess when I had to remove my ship from the exercise half of them decided to move to the next plan while half stayed with the previous. No one communicated that change until it was too late.”

“Did you explain that to Captain Hamilton?” When he shakes his head, she asks, exasperated, “why not?”

“I didn’t fully work it out at the time, and by the time I did, I didn’t want to seem like I was blaming others for my failure of leadership.”

“And you aren’t going to tell him now, because you think everyone else going off on their own plan is your fault?”

“It is. If I had been removed in combat, the exercise shows that the force entrusted to me had not been forged into a cohesive command but instead fractured like an untampered blade at the first hard blow. If I were better, that wouldn’t have happened. I’m not going to blame anyone else for that.”

“I see. When is your paper due?”

“Everyone is getting back late tomorrow,” he answers. “I have a few days after that.”

“I guess I see your concern, but I think you are putting too much on yourself. You are all cadets, and part of training is to get everyone used to all jobs. It is as much on the subordinates to follow their leader as on the leader to lead,” Beryl says, then sighs. “I suppose I shouldn’t bother you about it, since I’m new here.”

“So, anything else to talk about?” Alex says after the silence stretches uncomfortably.

“I wanted to ask you about that psychologist you mentioned,” she begins.

“Did you give her a call? No,” he quickly adds, “don’t answer. I shouldn’t have asked. What did you want to know about her though?”

“Have you used her?” He looks startled, then nods. “Just a feeling I got. Would you mind telling me about it? Only if you want to, that is.”

“No worries, but it will take a while. You ok with that?”

“I’m fine, unless you’ve got somewhere to be?”

“No, I’m good. A little over a year ago, I went to a space camp in Seattle, Washington. That’s on Earth. Camp would be several weeks, but we had time off on the weekends. I met Ellen at the camp – we ended up in the same group and hit it off. She was popular with a lot of people, so I was surprised she invited me to hang out with her for a weekend. She planned to drive me and one of her friends up to a canyon that they knew. Joshua seemed laidback about the situation, so I couldn’t complain, and I wanted to see some wilderness.

“We get there and the canyon is amazing. I’ve hiked in California, but this was another level. I can't do it justice, but there was a beautiful stream running through the canyon, dropping over several sheer cliffs over several miles. It wasn’t really a trail, but wasn’t too overgrown even near the water, which was swift but only deep in a center channel.

“I’d never jumped off waterfalls before, but Ellen explained how to look below for obstacles before jumping. She made me promise to wait for her clearance since I was new, but to speak up if anything seemed off. Jumping was awe-inspiring. Hanging in the air for an eternity before you drop, and seeing everything rushing up to meet you. Nothing like it – maybe actual in-atmosphere flight, but I haven’t done that. Ellen said I did pretty good.

“On the last waterfall that was short enough to jump, we all looked it over, and then Ellen told me I could jump first. Right as I jumped, she yelled to wait, but it was too late. I was free-falling, wondering what was wrong and hoping nothing since I couldn’t alter the outcome.

“I hit with a loud cracking sound. There was a sharp pain in my right leg that faded almost instantly. I pushed my way to the surface, waving and yelling for them not to jump. I start towards the shallows, but my right leg won’t take any weight and I decide to stand there and hope I don’t fall over and drown.

“It takes a long time for them to descend what I had jumped so quickly. They got me to solid ground and sat me down. My right foot was sticking off to the side, almost getting pulled down by gravity. I was pretty sure there was a compound fracture under the swelling, but somehow the skin wasn’t broken. I found it easier to think of it as someone else’s leg as I looked at it.

“Luckily, Ellen had a first aid kit and managed to get my ankle mostly straight and immobilized. I decided I needed to hold it together – I’d read a lot of stories on how people survived, or failed to survive, in these types of situations. I was pretty sure that, if we didn’t make another mistake, this was survivable. Of course, the hard part is figuring out what would be a mistake before we did it.

“Joshua then explains how…” he glances at her, then continues with a cough, “screwed I was. One waterfall remained, then a three-mile hike through a field of small boulders to get to the nearest road. Even if we could get down the waterfall, it would not be easy to get me out. No one knew where we were, or when we would be missing. It was only a daytrip, so we hadn’t brought any food or water. We’d be missed sometime on Monday, when we didn’t show up for camp, but that was nearly two days away. And we weren’t in range for our cellphones – they would be in range on the road, but not before then.

“Joshua had the most experience in the canyon, so we agree he should go for help. It was only eleven in the morning, so we had ten hours of before it would start getting dark. Ellen and I would stay where we were, staying in the shade and waiting for rescue.

“So, he leaves, and we settle into the brush away from the river and wait. The adrenaline wears off, and my leg starts to hurt. It is a constant pain, unchanging, and basically the only thing to do is wait. Trying to accept that there is nothing more you can do is hard. I had a watch, and told myself I would only look at it every fifteen minutes. Every time I looked, I failed.

“To distract myself, I looked around. Further down the canyon, something, probably a cougar, had killed a deer, and there were bones scattered everywhere. I looked at those and was glad Ellen was there with me. On my own, I’d be easy prey. I shivered. What would happen if we were still here at night? Would it show up to find us asleep? Would I wake up in time? Would I feel it’s jaws on my ankle, or on my throat? I shivered again. I realized I’m losing it, so I check my watch again. Five minutes have passed. I tell Ellen that I need to talk to her about anything other than my leg.

“She asked if I liked her. Sure, I say, as a friend. She seems annoyed, then asks if I have a girlfriend.”

“You weren’t interested in her?” Beryl interrupts, curious about their relationship.

“No. Do all women assume that a man and woman cannot just be friends? I do have a girlfriend now, anyway, but I didn’t back then. I told her I appreciated her friendship and didn’t want to complicate it by trying to make it into something more. Anyway, I thought she was hitting on Joshua. She explains that they had a relationship, but it had settled down into just an occasional fling. She was surprised that I’d caught her eye in the camp.

“That issue settled, we talked about our interests and plans. I wanted to join the Scout Corps. Still do, though I’ll settle for anything in space, but the Scout Corps were a lot more selective back then since it wasn’t as clear that they would need to expand for a first contact mission. Really, I wanted to get off planet and see space, even if I would end up stuck in a simulator for most of my time. She was there to get some interesting experiences and learn skills that would make her competitive for a civilian space job.

“We talked for so long, the daylight started to fade. We didn’t have any way to communicate with Joshua, so we didn’t know if rescue had been delayed or if he something had happened to him. We enjoyed the gorgeous sunset. I realized I had spent most of my time in school and activities, and worrying about those things, that I hadn’t recognized how beautiful a sunset could be.

“Then the sun finished going down, and everything was dark and menacing. We both wondered if anything had happened to Joshua. We were planning to be rescued by now – actually, we were planning to have been rescued a while ago – and we weren’t sure what to do. We knew you should say where you are once search and rescue is activated, but emotionally, I needed to move. I wanted to feel closer to civilization then I did.

“I told her that I wanted to rappel down the last waterfall. She gave my leg a doubtful glance, then agrees to try. There was a moon, so the light was decent enough to make this not obviously suicidal.

“She is older than me, but I was bigger, so making our way to the edge was a struggle. I was hooking myself to the rope when it hit me – if I screwed up, I would be the guy who dies trying to rappel with a broken leg. But I started descending anyway, and it was smooth. I howled with joy when I hit the ground, feeling like I would make it out even if I had to crawl on my fingertips.

“That quickly turned out to not be true. We reached the boulders and it was brutally hard to get over even the first one. While we were recovering from one, the search party arrived. It was amazing to see so many people out there, voluntarily, looking for someone who was lost. There were thirty people, and they had spent most of the day on a different emergency.

“The EMT confirmed that my leg was broken, but reinforced the splint we had put on, and gave me some pain medication. In their opinion, the only way to get me out safely was to wait for morning – they could slowly manhandle me over the rocks if they needed to then, but they hoped a helicopter would be available. With that choice made, all of the volunteers lay themselves down and went to sleep.

“In the morning, a helicopter showed up and flew me to the hospital.” He falls silent,

“Going to a psychologist for that makes sense,” Beryl agrees sympathetically

“I wish I saw it that way. I got my leg set at the hospital, called my parents, and focused on recovering. My parents agreed that I would stay in Seattle while recovering, since we were happy with the doctors I had and the support that Ellen and other friends provided.

“Ok. When did you decide to see a psychologist?”

“Later, after I had recovered physically and moved back home. I was getting ready to apply at the Academy when I started having these vivid dreams. I’ll be back in the canyon. They all differed, but in all of them I fell. Sometimes I would be jumping and would realize the jump was not safe. Other times I would fall while rappelling. I’ve even fallen out of the helicopter. Every time I fall, it is in slow motion, and I know I am going to die, and I wonder if I’ve lived a good life. Have I let anyone down?

“I tried to ignore them at first, but they were messing with my sleep, and my confidence. At that point, I went to see a psychologist. She told me these types of dreams are common after that type of experience and came from trying to process that experience. The dreams would likely stop at some point naturally, but working through them with a psychologist might speed the process. And it did. I’m not sure how much was just from a sense of taking action on an issue, but even if that is all the relief, it still helps.”

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Chapter Six: Dream - Part Four
SpoilerShow
While Beryl is trying to think of a response, the bell at the entrance rings. She looks over to see a pair of tall women with long silver hair worn loose down their backs enter. They are wearing officer uniforms, though they look slightly off. After a moment of staring, Beryl turns back to look at Alex. He notices her interest, or maybe just wants to change the subject, leaning forward and asking, “are you familiar with the godmother twins?”

“No,” she admits. I should take some time to look up the history of the Scout Corps, she thinks. Though I doubt there is an entry under for the godmother twins.

He smiles slightly. “That’s the nickname for the pair that just entered. It’s affectionate, but don’t let them hear you say it. While the TCA was forming, they rose through the naval ranks, shaping a lot of the doctrines and tactics that are still taught today. They are called that because they chose a lot of the officers who followed in their wake, perhaps even more now that they do not go on deployments. Their actual names are Mary and Tia Valdivia. Every year or so, there is a rumor that they are going to retire, but they haven’t yet.”

Before Beryl can think of a reply, someone yells, “please, turn that up!” and then a loud voice drowns out everything. Looking around, she realizes that it is coming from a television above the bar.

“Authorities have confirmed that they found the body of Gary Busano today in bed in his apartment. Due to the graphic nature of this video, viewer discretion is advised.” The screen cuts to an image of a fit-looking man sprawled out on his back on a bed, eyes wide open. His skin is drawn tight and his mouth is drawn into an extreme grimace. “According to the medical report, the man died overnight; the preliminary cause of death is a heart attack. He was only twenty-eight years old, so this is under further review. According to the police statement, his body was discovered by officers performing a wellness check that was requested by a concerned acquaintance. The acquaintance claimed to have a suspicious feeling after hearing the phone call made to the Apology Line on the Radio Free Ares pirate radio show the night before. Authorities are seeking any information about this phone call or radio program.”

“Wow,” Alex says as the news cuts to the results of a local sports game. “I thought a heart attack in your sleep would be a better way to go.”

“Isn’t that young?” Beryl asks.

“I guess?” Alex says.

“Such a tragedy to hear about Gary’s death, and in such a shocking circumstance, isn’t it, sister dear?” Beryl hears the woman behind her say.

“Yes, it is a tragedy, but likely an outcome of his own making, wouldn’t you agree, dear sister?” comes the reply. Beryl turns and sees the godmother twins standing near their table, looking in the direction of the television.

“Perhaps, though I doubt he calculated this as a possibility of the choices he made in life. Charity is a virtue and one shouldn’t speak ill of the dead, sister dear.”

“People usually do not carefully consider the results of their actions, preferring indulgence to prudence. Discernment is a virtue, and those who betray the trust of others get their just rewards, dearest sister.”

“Indeed, such a life could lead to extreme consequences, sister dear.” The voice approaches and the godmother twins stop in front of Alex and Beryl’s table. “For example, we could ask these young people if they would enjoy a life of excitement and pleasure that ends early, sister dearest.”

“Or perhaps they would prefer a long life that is boring and safe, dearest sister.”

“I doubt they would have good answers at their age though.”

“And I doubt they would have meaningful answers with their experiences.”

The pair turns towards their table. “You are Alex Jardin?”

“Yes sir,” he answers. Able to get a better look at them, Beryl sees that they are mirror images of each other – dignified women with fine wrinkles that she assumes speaks to age. They still look ready to ship out. They probably wanted to the power of a position at headquarters. I could just be unable to read the signs of human aging, though it seems like it would be more dramatic.

“We heard about the exercise,” one begins, moving her eyes between Alex and Beryl.

“You have our sympathies on the outcome,” the other murmurs. Their voices are pitched differently, otherwise they would appear identical.

“But the strategy you proposed seems sound – one might say inspired, to try to carry the fight to the attacker,” the first beams.

“Are you the beautiful and mysterious woman who was rescued from space by Alex?” the other glances at Beryl with sympathetic eyes. Beryl winces internally as the crowd falls silent watching them.

“I don’t know that I would go that far, but I was rescued from space, sir. My name is Lynne,” she replies, following Alex’s lead in how to address the pair. “I didn’t realize you rescued me,” she says to Alex.

“It was a group effort,” he demurs.

“And the two of you have never seen each other before then?” the first presses.

“This was the first time he has seen me,” Beryl answers.

“Most fortunate that someone you have never met before was able to pluck you from space like one drowning in water,” the first says. The noise of other conversations slowly resumes. “Oh, we haven’t introduced ourselves. I am Tia.”

“And I’m Mary,” the more sympathetic of the pair continues.

“You are from far away?” Tia asks Beryl.

“I’m from Esperanza,” Beryl says.

“Esperanza. I remember when the colonies out there were started. That is the farthest reaches of human space, after all, so I’d say that is far,” Mary comments.

“Not so far in terms of the local region though,” Tia states. “After all, the loroi are so much farther away that we don’t even know where they are.”

“We have a direction to start looking, dearest sister. And I’m sure these young folks are hoping to do so with all speed.” The cadets nod. “You should be commended on saving one in need, young man. I wonder if every aspiring cadet would make the same choice.”

“Especially at the cost of the tactical situation.”

“Kindness to one’s fellows is a virtue, dearest sister.”

“A virtue that often leads to pain, as I’m sure Alex can attest, sister dear,” Tia retorts.

“Surely the pain of realizing his classmates did not trust in his strategic plan is less than the pain of having failed to rescue one who was in need, dearest sister.”

“Maybe if he had earned the respect of his fellows, their faith would have seen them through, sister dear.” Beryl realizes her neck is getting sore going back forth between the two, so she splits the difference between the two.

“Or someone else’s ship could have been in a better position to make the rescue, removing the confusion in the chain of command.”

“Or her beacon might not have triggered, and the exercise could have happened as scripted.” Beryl feels herself shiver involuntarily at the thought of her isolation in space never being interrupted by the voice announcing that she is not alone. To just drift, endlessly until there is an end.

“Any of those things could have been different, and you’d be the hero.”

“All of those things could have been different, and you’d be a legend.”

“I find that warfare is a wasteful gamble. Any number of minor changes could lead to a totally different result, leading to the commander getting blame instead of credit.”

“I find that warfare is an exhilarating game of chance. Played skillfully and some luck could save a losing hand, leading to the commander being lauded instead of blamed. Consider that chance may be embraced as a way to improve your situation.”

“Or fortune may be something to fear as something that might unravel your work. Did you sleep well before the battle to better prepare?” Mary asks.

“What?” Alex starts. Hearing his voice, Beryl discovers that she has been captivated by the back and forth flow of the duo. “I haven’t been sleeping well lately.”

“You are young, so you should be able to burn the candle at both ends,” Tia reassures him.

“On the other hand, that is what poor Gary told himself,” Mary warns.

“I often find that I am alert the night before battle, anticipating the victory to come.”

“I often find that I am alert the night before battle, dreading the losses that will happen.”

“But not getting enough sleep can lessen the wins.”

“Not getting enough sleep can increase the losses. I’m sure that the results of the exercise won’t be held against you excessively,” Mary pats Alex’s shoulder awkwardly.

“While it was the fastest loss ever, the value of your tactics may be appreciated.” Tia suddenly seems to recognize the time. “Sister dearest, we should not take up all of these young people’s time.” The pair nods slightly, and then take the table they were assigned.

Beryl giggles uncontrollably at the thought of Stilltorm and Ashrain, two seniors in the military, holding a similar conversation with her. Alex tries to keep a straight face, then joins her. “That was an experience,” he says. She nods.

Alex’s pad sounds an alert from his pocket. He frowns and fishes it out.

“Is there a problem?” Beryl asks, concerned that she has misunderstood their duties.

“I wasn’t expecting any messages,” he says apologetically as he looks at the screen. He taps out a response quickly. “Not an issue. It is late, so we should be going. Your apartment should be ready for today, I’ll drop you off and make sure you get settled. I’ll get the check,” he says.

She goes to protest, then realizes she is not sure what that entails. “You can pay me back in a few weeks once you start getting a stipend,” he offers, and she agrees, hoping that makes sense.