The Stardrive

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Keklas Rekobah

The Stardrive

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

The Stardrive
by Mark Alan Barner (a.k.a., Keklas Rekobah)
2016-12-08

Look ... you're asking me to explain something that even I don't understand, and I invented it!

Well, not 'invented' per se ... more like 'discovered' ... accidentally ... while looking for something else.

(Okay, so I metaphorically tripped over it in the metaphorical darkness while metaphorically dancing a metaphorical tango with a metaphorical giant scorpion, okay?  Don't ask me to explain.  Just go with it.)

Anyway, what I came up with was a variation of the Alcubierre Drive that actually works.  Yeah, I know ... "Lonely scientist makes great discovery after decades of isolation", but that's not really how it happened.

It started back in the third grade, when I read my first science-fiction book.  Since I was already reading at the tenth-grade level, the librarians let me check out books from the Young Adult section.  "Rocket to Limbo" by Alan E. Nourse.  It had everything -- FTL spaceships, anti-gravity, soldiers in spacesuits, mental powers, treachery, mutiny, betrayal, mystery -- and it set my imagination on fire.  From that point on, only maths, science, and science-fiction were of any interest to me.

I became the quintessential science geek.  Chemistry sets, telescopes, microscopes, and all kinds of electronic gadgets were my toys when all the other kids were shooting hoops, running for home, scoring touchdowns, and dating girls.

(Now, don't get me wrong; I like women -- still do -- but we rarely get along.  Seems that their ideas about 'romance' and 'relationships' don't bear up under the close scrutiny of an analytical mind.  Enough said, okay?)

Anyway, my Science Fair projects always got the blue ribbon, and the grants and scholarships led me to my Master's Degrees (Magna Cum Laude only ... lost out to a dual PoliSci and Econ major ...), and most of my post-grad employers were supportive of my side projects.

But it wasn't until the DOE took me on that my research really got some traction.  Remember all of the excitement about controlled fusion?  Well, that was me.  Of course, the DOE holds the patents; but I got a nice pension, my own lab, and a keen research staff out of it, as well.  What they don't tell you is that I had to also invent a means to compress the deuterium/tritium pellets enough to fuse them together.

We tried everything -- lasers, electrostatic discharges, neutron bombardments, accelerated particle collisions -- you name it.  Then one night, after everyone else had gone home, I tried a variation on the Casimir effect, and "CRACK!" -- sustained hydrogen fusion!

When I ran the calculations, the result made no sense.  So I ran them again and again under different models until, suddenly, the answer lept out at me.

Not only had I invented a means to sustain a hydrogen fusion reaction, but I had invented a means to create artificial gravity.  Two inventions in one night.  Only later was I to learn that only one of them could be made public.

('Invented' ... 'discovered' ... whatever.  I'm the one with the Nobel Prize for Physics.  Okay?)

Anyway, when the staff came in, they found me cross-legged on the floor, staring at the reactor as if it were a Christmas tree.  They were shouting and dancing and carrying on like we had just won a war.  But within an hour, it looked like a new one had just started.

Someone had called our Chief Administrator.  She had called our DOE liaison.  He had called his people in Washington.  Next thing we knew, the building was in lock-down, and we were all herded into the cafeteria.  We could see a bunch of Marines in full combat gear outside, digging in and putting up razor wire.

Then the interrogations started.

They asked me about my family, my relatives, and any "sexual liaisons" I may have had and when I'd had them.  They photographed me, fingerprinted me, took blood and DNA samples, took x-rays, and left no part of me untouched.  They asked me over and over again about the work I was doing, how I felt about the government, if and when I had ever travelled overseas, and the names and addresses of every foreign national I had ever known.

("All part of the process", they said.)

I spent three days inside that building, being 'politely questioned' by people who seemed to have no real idea of what I had accomplished, each one seeming to imply or openly insist that I had stolen critical data from someone else.  Eventually, one of my old professors showed up and ordered everyone to "stand down" and put the place back the way it was.

(Who knew?  She had always struck me as the shy, bookish type.  Now here she was barking orders and watching those Marines literally jump to carry them out!)

"I always knew you had the potential", she told me.  "All we had to do was give you sufficient resources and wait.  Congratulations on a job well done."

She explained that ours was one of twenty DOE facilities doing the same kind of research, and that ours was the only one to show any real progress.  She also told me that most of the staff was sent home within a few hours, and that most of the rest went home before midnight.  The remainder went away 'somewhere' and I never heard from them again.

("Their whereabouts are classified above your security clearance, citizen" was all she'd tell me.  Each time she's looking more and more like a snake just before it strikes. Scary.)

Anyway ...

(Yeah, I know.  I say that a lot.  Learn to deal with it.  Okay?)

... I finally got to go home, shower, sleep, eat a decent meal, and catch up on the news.  Seems that the DOE was pitching the event as "A revolutionary scientific breakthrough in nuclear fusion" all over the TV and the Net.  They were also promising an official announcement 'soon' and an interview with the genius at the heart of it.

You know the rest.  Me, in jeans, sandals, and a polo shirt, shaking hands with the President, and then me falling asleep during his speech, followed by my 30 seconds of stuttering and stammering.  Then a barrage of rapid-fire questions from the Press, most of which I answered with "Huh?".  A later interview with just one journalist and a more relaxed and coherent me.  Hourly updates on my whereabouts, my actions, and my every word.

("Fusion Scientist Flosses in Five-Star Restaurant!", "Birkenstocks? This Scientist Says, 'No Way!", "Auto Unions Upset Over Scientist's Volvo!", and so forth.)

A few years later, the DOE was converting fossil-fuel electrical plants to hydrogen fusion near every major metropolitan center.  Megawatts of energy were coming out of a few micrograms of hydrogen every day.  The skies were clearer and electricity was cheaper, mostly due to a resurgence in interest for all-electric ground transportation.

(Oh, yeah ... I won a Nobel Prize for Physics.  Did I mention that already?  Too bad that all of the global fame and recognition inspired crackpots and Luddites to send me death threats, and for foreign governments to try to steal the 'secret' of cheap, reliable, fusion-based electricity.  I had to relocate to a military base and give up some of my civil liberties to survive.)

But you wanted me to explain the Stardrive.  Bear with me.

A couple more years went by, and I found myself as the Chief of Research at a joint DOD/DOE laboratory on the west coast, trying to adapt the new technology to work on ocean-going ships and in ground vehicles.  Our reactors had already replaced the fission reactors on our aircraft carriers, but we were having more and more trouble getting the reaction to start and sustain itself as the reactors got smaller and smaller.  It seems that reactor volume plays an important role.

(Remember that old 2D movie with the small fusion reactor mounted on the trunk of a car?  That's what we were aiming for.)

So we went back to basics -- lasers, electrostatic discharges, neutron bombardments, accelerated particle collisions, et cetera.  It wasn't until we tried a combination of all of these that we started making progress.  Then it occurred to me that maybe the reaction was extinguishing itself because the helium wasn't being extracted fast enough, what with helium having a higher fusion 'flash point' than hydrogen.

Our previous reactors were all spherical, with the helium being drawn off from the top.  We needed a more linear reactor, where hydrogen goes in one end and helium comes out the other.  We also needed a micro-gravity environment.

I proposed a new design, to be constructed in orbit.  My calculation implied that a micro-gravity environment might improve our chances of success.  They also implied that it was just as likely that the entire experiment would "go nova" and vaporize itself, along with a LOT of the surrounding real estate, so space was the place to go ...

A few more years, and we had our orbital facility, complete with an observation room looking over the laboratory floor through a 5-centimeter thick bulletproof window.

Preliminary tests showed promise, but we still couldn't get past a certain minimum volume, no matter what we tried.  Still, it wasn't a total loss -- the facility was largely self-sustaining, and it incorporated lab space for research in the fields of astronomy, biology, and medicine, as well as physics.

Then I re-read an early paper on the Alcubierre Drive -- a purely speculative concept that was based on an obscure solution of Einstein's field equations in general relativity.  No one had ever got it to work, and it had remained on the fringes of legitimate science ever since.

(It requires the existence of "exotic matter" -- also called "Unobtainium", for obvious reasons.)

But it got me thinking that maybe we were going about our problem all wrong.  Our initial design was spherical, with artificial gravity generators compressing the hydrogen at the center of the reactor.  The second design was linear, with hydrogen coming in through one end, helium leaving through the other, and with a superconducting solenoid wound around the reactor in such a way that the axis of the magnetic field was coincident with the axis of the linear reaction chamber.

Our third design incorporated a modulated, multiphasic magnetic field with its axis perpendicular to the axis of the reactor vessel.  The field was modulated so that it would 'rotate' around the reactor without the solenoids moving at all.

(No, really!)

Anyway, our first run was a success.  We were able to reduce the size of the reactor to one-tenth of the first prototype's volume.  But we ran into that helium throughput problem again, so we installed a second set of solenoids downstream of the first and phased them such that they would not interfere with each other.  We sync'ed up the gravity generators, as well.

Computer simulations showed that it could work.  As we ramped up power to the ignition point, we began to notice a sympathetic vibration developing throughout the facility.  This seemed normal, considering the amount of energy going into the solenoids and the gravity generators.  All systems showed green, so I hit the 'Ignition' button.

Everything went dark.  I was thrown against a bulkhead.  I saw stars.  They wouldn't go away.  Then I saw the moon slowly creeping across the observation window and realized that the lab was gone.

In fact, that end of the facility was completely missing.

Damage control parties showed up, and someone took me down to Medical.  They stitched me up, shot me full of painkillers, and sent me out to make room for more injured and wounded.

(No casualties, Thank God!)

We got emergency power on-line, and communications were restored.  Reports came in from other stations, both in orbit and on the ground.  They said that a bright flash was seen at the moment of ignition, originating from where the lab used to be.  Almost immediately, another bright flash was seen near the Moon's surface, and just before a minor 'moonquake' was recorded.

The military showed up three days later, but not before we had received images of what remained of the object that had crashed into the Moon.  It was our facility's lab section.  I recognized what was left of the reactor and its attached equipment.

Those images took about a second to reach us from the lunar surface -- more than the amount of time between the disappearance of our lab section and its impact on the Moon.  The lab section had travelled faster than the speed of light to reach the Moon.  We had 'invented' a working FTL drive -- the Stardrive.

(No, I did not want to name it after myself.  I'd already had more than my fill of "fame and glory".  Now I just wanted to build another Stardrive and actually go somewhere with it ... and come back alive, of course.)

By that time, who should arrive on the military transport but my old professor.  She 'requested' all of the data we had on our last experiment, including any copies and voice records.  After she reviewed it, she sat me down in the observation room and asked me what had happened.  She listened attentively to even the most technical explanations.  When I was done, she leaned back and quietly gazed out of the window.  Nothing could be heard for a long time except our breathing and the whir of the ventilators.

"Do you know what this means?", she asked.

"I think so."

"Tell me."

"The military has a new weapon."

"No ... maybe ... something else."

"The Stardrive."

She only nodded. We were both silent for a while, letting it sink in.

"What were your solenoids made of?"

"An iridium-based superconductor.  Why?"

"Have you ever heard of Chicxulub?"

"Vaguely ..."

"About 66 million years ago, something hit the Earth in the Gulf of Mexico near what is now the Yucatan Peninsula, forming the Chicxulub Crater.  The event wiped out three-quarters of all animal and plant life on Earth.  It also deposited a thin layer of iridium all over the world."

"An asteroid?"

"Or an object equipped with a Stardive ... one like yours."

"I had nothing to do with Chicxulub."

"Still a snarker, I see."  She smiled and shook her head.  "'They' may still be out there ... or a remnant of their civilization.  This alone is enough motivation to get your Stardive into production and to go out there to look for them.  Our first stop is Barnard's Star."

Anyway ... that's how our Inter-Stellar Exploration Initiative got started.

We still don't understand exactly how the Stardrive works.  We only know that when certain pieces are put together and energized in a certain way, they and the object they are attached to will disappear from causal space and reappear someplace else in less time than it would take for a beam of light to travel the same distance -- that's all.  This seems to violate not only causality, but a few other physical principles that we used to think were inviolable.

We also know that the distance travelled is closely related to a math function that takes into account the energy put into the Stardive, the universal gravitational constant, the total mass being moved, the volume of the object being moved, and a few other "fudge factors" that try to take into account any incidental gravitational fields between the point of origin and the destination.

Further, when the object is moving, it is completely cut off from causal space.  That is, it seems to be in its own little universe, all by itself, where you can't see where you're going, and where shipboard time passes differently from time in causal space.  The relationship between the two time frames is complex -- again, related to mass, volume, distance travelled, energy, and the universal gravitational constant.  For short distances -- about 70.7% of a light-week or less -- shipboard time is theoretically as instantaneous as you can get.  As the distance increases, shipboard time also increases, approaching a theoretical 1.58 seconds per hundred parsecs, but never actually taking that long.

Unless something goes wrong, of course ... like ploughing into the center of a star along the way ...

So what you do is point the ship toward where you want to go, calculate the amount of energy you need to get there, dump that much energy into the Stardive, and hope that you are not too far off for your inertial drive to "fine tune" the remaining distance.

That's all I can tell you.  We're still trying to figure out why it works.  All we know is that it does work, and that is all that matters, anyway ... okay?

• • •

Author's Note: As you can see from the title block, I started this story about 6 years ago, under my real name, and have been 'tweaking' it ever since. I originally intended it as a filler for the backstory of a popular role-playing game, but now feel that it is more appropriate here; possibly as a way to explain how the Terrans stumbled upon their own version of a fusion-powered hyperdrive in the WoS universe. I hope you have enjoyed it.

KR/MB

:D
Last edited by Keklas Rekobah on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

EdwardSteed

Re: The Stardrive

Post by EdwardSteed »

That was a really interesting read. The one thing I stumbled on was that I thought there was going to be some greater reveal about why the government was so quick and ready to jump on the fusion experiment. The way he was being questioned made it feel like it was a technology that already existed or was known about but was being kept secret. I had a sense that this was some kind of technology cold war between governments that he'd stumbled into.

Perhaps that was what Chicxulub was about? That before any of this some people already knew or suspected that an alien star drive had crashed into Earth, and had enough data to form expectations of what such a device might 'look' like if someone on Earth developed it.
possibly as a way to explain how the Terrans stumbled upon their own version of a fusion-powered hyperdrive in the WoS universe
This is a bit of a tangent but there was a thread about what could Earth offer the Loroi and I had an unspoken theory (disproven when p106 was published) about them possessing superior hyperspace travel. It centered on the premise that everyone's hyperspace technology was derived from Soia artifacts/mathematics/language but being isolated Earth had figured it out from scratch.

The kicker was the Soia used something akin to "Newtonian" hyperspace physics (or maybe they deliberately limited their client races to that understanding) while Earth had accidentally skipped ahead to a "special relativity" like understanding of hyperspace.

Newtonian motion works most of the time but in the end it can't explain edge cases like Mercury's increased precession because it doesn't account for the Sun bending space time. In the same way the Soia formulas encounter edge cases at around 10ly because they lack some deeper understanding of hyperspace geometry. The races in the local bubble just assume that hyperspace is too random to plot a longer jump or safely get around deep gravity wells.

This would've been revealed when Alex began tracing the route back to human space for Beryl while casually dropping the 50 and 100 ly jumps that his ship had been making along the way.

Her confusion and disbelief would be mirrored by his own when she tried to explain that the Loroi (whose technology he's been in awe of so far) couldn't even begin to plot hyperspace slingshot maneuvers, something he'd completed as homework in Interstellar Navigation 101.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Liked the humor mixed with scientific babble. And the 'oops' moments that seemed to highlight each discovery. Do you intend to continue this story? Or is it a one-shot?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Actually, I have a few story ideas rattling around that may re-assign the narrative as a prologue for how the TCA got started.  However, The Stardrive is more of a narrative than a story, and I had originally intended it as a one-shot "filler" in the backstory of a popular role-playing game.  Now I think it can be readily applied to the Outsider universe.  My writing tends to devolve into first-person narratives or second-person instruction manuals.  My third-person stories tend to get muddled up in the details.

So any follow-ups to The Stardrive may take a while.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

I did enjoy it. You should write more and it definitely deserves a follow-up.
Found 1 typo btw: "But you wanted me to explain the Stardive. Bear with me."

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Corrected the typo. Thanx!

My notes for this character say: "Man of science, although 'only' a top-notch engineer. He is respectful of authority, but distrustful of governments, militaries, and personal relationships. A bit of a snark. Results first, consequences later. Tenacious, once his mind is made up."

Basically, he is the kind of man I wish I could have been, given fewer bad breaks. The narrative is first-person because I sat in the back yard and told the story to myself as if I was the un-named character -- admittedly, a "Harry Lou".

Now working on a sequel: his first test-flight to Barnard's Star as I sit in a Dumaguete bar enjoying their version of the classic Piña Colada (made with fresh ingredients, and shaken, not stirred).

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

The Stardrive - Part II
2023-02-04

"Here's your drink, sir!"

Dressed in tsinelas, cut-offs, and a printed tee sporting the logo of a popular video game, she looked like most of the Dumaguetañas her age, cute, a little on the plump side, but with a dazzling smile. I tipped her p100 and her smile brightened even further before she turned and walked away.

"Miraming salamat, sir!"

(Was she making kimbut at me? Yes? No? Maybe? I really didn't know.)

Despite her possibly suggestive behavior, I had learned the hard way that Filipinas are some of the most virtuous women on Earth. They also seem to know how to throw a punch. Three days later, my jaw still ached.

(Anyway ... you wanted to hear my story about The Trip. That's my name for humanity's first trip to another star system. Be sure to capitalize both words; "The Trip".)

So, I'm sitting there, enjoying the tropical scenery and the freshest piña colada I've ever had, when the comm beeped. The display showed my corporate logo and the message: "Flash Priority. Respond Immediately."

I keyed the receive function, and The Boss's face appeared. She looked a little frazzled. Good.

"Magandang hapon!" I said cheerily. "What may I do for you this fine, sunny day?"

"Cut the crap, kid. You're due to enter quarantine in less than 9 hours. Where the hell are you?! And what's that you're drinking? If you show up drunk again, we'll find someone else to make the run. Am I understood?"

"Perfectly, ma'am." I replied, laying on the snark.

"Look, I know you need to 'decompress' after all the adulation you've received, but could you please try to present a more dignified image? By the way, how's your jaw?"

"A little tender but mending."

"What did you say that got you slapped?"

"It wasn't a slap. It was a right hook from far-left field, and what I said will not be repeated over this or any other comm link."

The Boss sighed, shook her head, and stared at me from the screen.

"Whatever," she said. "I liked you better when your interests were only in research. Now it's women and strong drink too. Your fame has gone to your head."

I switched to a more business-like demeanor. "Noted. Has the quarantine facility been stocked as per my instructions? Or did you have someone drop off a case of expired 'Meals-Ready-To-Eat' again?"

"Fully stocked, as per your orders; although you deserve only bread and water."

"Thank you. My helo touches down at twenty-one hundred. Bring champagne. Out."

I keyed the comm off and took another sip. My mind wandered back to last week's Presidential Reception.

I remember how the barong made me itch. I remember listening to speech after speech in a language I could not understand. I remember a seemingly endless supply of rum concoctions. I remember approaching one of President's aides and complimenting her on the way her outfit hugged her figure. Then I remember suggesting that we take a turn on the dance floor. (At least, I think that's what I suggested.) The last thing I remember is a sudden pain in my jaw and a lot of shouting as I lay on the floor.

The press blamed my 'Western Ways'. The Boss blamed the liquor. I made a big apology, and then went into hiding. So far, there have been no repercussions from what The Boss says could have been an International Incident.

I finished my drink and took a stroll around the resort -- two waterfalls, three swimming holes, a fully stocked bar and grill, and lots of tropical plants everywhere you look -- all under the watchful eyes of The Boss's hired goons: their suits in sharp contrast to the more casual wear of the resort's employees.

There were no other guests.

All too soon, one of the goons approached me.

"It's time, sir. The helo's ready, and your bags are already on-board."

"Well then, let's go."

"Walk this way, sir."

"If I could walk that way, I'm sure I would have a lot more friends."

He didn't even snicker. I'm losing my touch.

We landed at Sibulan a few minutes early, so I took my time strolling across the tarmac. Off to the side, a crowd stood behind police barricades. At first, I tried to ignore them, then I remembered The Boss's words.

"Whazzat?" (Cupping my ear as if I could understand the noise.) "I'm fine!" (Thumbs up.) "Everything's A-OK!" (More smiles and cheers.) "See you soon!"

We got in the limo. (I thought the motorcade was a little too much, but The Boss insisted. Since the entire show was on their dime, I went along with it.)

The Boss was waiting for me when we arrived at SUMC, where the quarantine trailer had been set up. She held out a 500ml bottle labeled 'Moet'.

"This is all you are getting until you return. Make it last."

"Oh, I'm not drinking it," I said. "It's for the christening."

"Christening . . . ?"

"An old maritime custom. You smash a bottle o'bubbly across the bow of a ship before letting it slide down the ways."

She shrugged. "Suit yourself. We dog the hatch at four balls. Lights out at o'dark-thirty."

"Aye-aye, Cap'n!"

I settled in. True to her word, the hatches were closed at midnight, and the thirty-day countdown began. The intercom crackled.

"Can you hear me?"

"Yes, Boss."

"Good. Ready for some Humble Pie?"

"Wha . . . ?"

"Thirty days in the hole
Thirty days in the hole
Oh, yeah
Thirty days in the hole"

I was soooo going to get her for that one.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Getting slugged reminded me of one fundamental truth…

You never can tell a woman’s signals.

No offense to you fine female users who may be on this forum.

Dude’s getting a bit too cocky for his own good.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Snoofman wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:52 pm
Getting slugged reminded me of one fundamental truth…

You never can tell a woman’s signals.

No offense to you fine female users who may be on this forum.

Dude’s getting a bit too cocky for his own good.
So true... I joked about one's height who was really tall and she would not speak to me for months after.

I thought we were on kind of okay terms before then.

But as I have said, fresh out of high school me had far less of filter on his mouth.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

The Stardrive - Part III
2023-02-22

It was my final day in quarantine. They sent my best suit through the sterilizer. It came out smelling like a hospital. Oh well. The interview was in an hour, and The Boss had told me to look my best. The interviewer was "special", she said. I put on some tea, got dressed, and tried to make myself presentable.

A few minutes before air time. A soft, feminine voice came over the intercom.

"Hello, sir? Are you there?"

"Uh, yeah. Who is calling, please?"

"I am Vi Abinilla, sir. The TCA sent me to interview you."

The name tickled my memory, but...

"Sir, my video is on. Would you kindly switch on yours as well?"

Shrugging, I complied. She noticed my shocked surprise right away. It was HER.

"Oh, sir, I hope you are not still angry with me for hitting you."

I sat dumbfounded. She was even prettier than I remembered.

"Sir, I am really sorry! Kindly forgive me?"

"Uh ... yeah, sure! It was my fault, anyway. And call me Al. All my friends do."

"Okay ... Al."

We exchanged a few more pleasantries. I could not take my eyes off her. Dark hair framing an angelic face. Eyes that looked into my soul. A few other clichés come to mind, but you get the idea.

Anyway . . .

"30 seconds," came The Boss's voice.

"Oh? You do PA work too?"

"Shuddup, kid! I'm the Director. We go live in ten seconds. Nine, eight, seven, ..."

I sat up straight and smiled. Vi did the same.

"Magandang umaga!" she began. "We are here today with the pogi man known as 'Aloycius Constantine', but he prefers to be called 'Al'."

"Magandang umaga!" I replied. "Kamusta ka?"

"Mabuti! I am well. But our viewers might prefer English."

"Cool. What's on your mind?"

"You invented the Stardrive, and insisted on piloting the first manned run. Any second thoughts?"

"Of course! Except for a few automated probes to Barnard's and back, we have no idea what the transition will do."

"Two of those probes carried test animals. Why not rely on that data and send an entire crew?"

"Well, the data showed that the animals were in a high state of stress during the transition, but the guinea pigs cannot tell us exactly what they experienced."

"But why you?"

"I know the Stardrive better than anyone, and I also have EVA training and experience. So if the equipment needs adjustment or repair, then I am the best qualified."

"But sir..."

I cleared my throat.

"... Al, what if you ... uh ... don't come back?"

She seemed genuinely concerned.

"Then I hope they eventually recover the data and find out why."

"You're not concerned for your safety?"

"Vi, every precaution has been taken to ensure my safe return. You needn't worry for me."

She seemed a bit flustered.

"I shall return!"

She laughed at this -- a pleasant, girlish giggle.

"WE ARE ON THE AIR" appeared on my console. Apparently, Vi received the same message. She reverted to a more professional demeanor.

"Tell us what precautions have been taken."

I launched into the script I had been rehearsing.

"The system is designed with multiple redundancies in propulsion, communications, and life-support. Hull integrity has been tripled over our regular space-going vessels. The infrastructure..."

This went on for several minutes, with encouraging questions and comments from Vi. I am not sure if she understood every technical detail, but she maintained eye contact throughout. I wrapped up with a few dedications to other scientists, engineers, and technicians on the project.

"Thank you, Al, but that is all the time we have."

"Thank you for having me here. I look forward to our next meeting."

Again, that girlish giggle. I could really get used to it.

• • •

"Mission Control, all systems are go."

"Roger that. Skies are clear, with steady wind at 7 from 43, copy?"

"I copy."

I was the only one on-board. Outside, dignitaries and guests had assembled. Vi stood out in her white barong dress. She held the champagne bottle at the ready as she read from the teleprompter.

"I christen thee ... ano?!"

Her dumbfounded look quickly switched to tears of joy. I had chosen well. Clearing her throat, she continued.

"I christen thee Victoria's Hope!"

The bottle smashed against the hardened davit on the bow. The crowd cheered. She blew me a kiss. I caught it and blew one back.

(What is it about this simple gesture that is supposed to convey affection? I imagine this question will go unanswered by even the most noble minds throughout the universe forever.)

She and the other dignitaries were led away from the launch cradle.

"10 minutes to launch."

I never did understand why we had to go through this ritual.

"5 minutes to launch."

I mean, it only serves to increase anxiety and delay departure.

"1 minute to launch. Fire teams stand by."

More anxiety.

"10 ... 9 ... 8 ..."

"All systems go. Breakers on-line."

"... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...1"

The gravs lifted Victoria's Hope smoothly and quietly. An hour later, I was in orbit. The Cradle was soon within visual range. An open-frame structure with fuel tanks and HEPLAR engines for the trip out to the jump point. It would later take up orbit around Mars and serve as part of the foundation for the new orbital station there.

I remained buckled in as the two ships docked. The 'Remotes' panel came to life and reported all tanks full and engines ready to ignite.

"Victoria's Hope. This is Orbital Control. How copy?"

"Lima Charlie, Orbital. Same?"

"No worries, mate! Telemetry looks good. Commencing small-burst maneuvers on your go."

"Copy that. On my mark."

I re-adjusted my restraints a little tighter.

"3 ... 2 ... 1 ... mark!"

"Roger that. Commencing."

The combined ships bucked and rolled like a boat at sea. Not a fun ride, but necessary. If anything was going to shake loose, it's better in Earth orbit than out past Jupiter somewhere. It took about 30 minutes to go through the checklist.

"Victoria's Hope. Orbital Control. Confirm status, please?"

"All green here, Orbital, including my complexion."

I heard laughter in the background. "Understood. Sorry for the rough ride. We all hope your mission goes much more smoothly."

"Thank you, Orbital. Ready to get underway."

"Message from Mission Control. Put it on?"

"Go ahead."

The link crackled.

"Mag-ingat ka, mahal! Maghihintay ako sa iyong pagbabalik."

(I wondered if she knew she was speaking on an open channel.)

"Miraming salamat ... mahal."

(I hope I said it right.)

The link crackled again.

"That was the entire message. Did you receive it?"

"Message received and understood. Did Mission Control receive my reply?"

"Telemetry confirms."

(I let out a sigh of relief.)

"Well, let's get going then. Engines standing by. Grav compensators standing by. Navcomp standing by and ready to receive marching orders."

I watched the data scrolling on the screen. All seemed well.

"Initial burn in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... Godspeed!"

I felt a slight push before the compensators kicked in. The vibrations from the HEPLARs were a low rumble that filled the cabin. Adrenaline had kept me awake so far, but once past lunar orbit, I settled back and relaxed for the three-day trip.

(The HEPLARs were rated for 6G, but the delta-vee of our fastest patrol ships was barely 5G, and I wanted my escorts to keep up.)

As I drifted off, the presence of a dark-haired angel filled my sleep.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

And now the greatest adventure begins. What language was he switching between?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

The language is Filipino, because most of the story so far has taken place in the Philippine Republic.

My writing instructors used to say, "Write from what you know".

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

The Stardrive - Part IV
2023-03-01

I awoke a few hours later, and checked in with my escorts. They were only a few dozen kilometers away, maintaining "Minimum Safe Distance" in case of catastrophic failure of the HEPLARs. Of course, every indicator showed normal operation.

Our course was a wide arc that took us far from any major planet and pointed us toward Barnard's.

After a quick breakfast and a few housekeeping chores, I settled down with a good book -- an astronomy text, donated by a university -- to review data on Barnard's Star. In fact, this vessel carried an extensive STEM library in electronic form.

That was pretty much the routine on the way out to the jump point -- sleep, eat, keep house, exercise, read, and repeat.

• • •

"Victoria's Hope. Mission Control. Two hours to jump point. Please verify readiness. Your girlfriend says 'Hi'. Over."

I recognized Stan, our CAPCOM. Good man. Knows when to follow the rules and when to bend them.

"Mission Control. Victoria's Hope. Hi Vi! Wish you were here. All systems go. Detailed status report follows."

I read the status of each visual indicator, not so much as to inform Mission Control (digital telemetry provided much more detail), but to calm my nerves and let everyone know I was awake and alert. Also, since I was more than 30 light-minutes from Earth, I was filling time until their next response.

"Victoria's Hope. Mission Control. 50 minutes to jump point. Please verify fuel temp on number three tank."

I rechecked the readouts, and found no significant variation.

"Escort One, do you verify telemetry?"

"Copy. There a zero-point-zero-one-three degree difference between port and starboard fuel tanks."

"Likely solar heating. Stand by while I roll this puppy over."

I put the ship through a slow 180-degree roll. After a few minutes, the number three tank started cooling down, and the number one tank started heating up.

"That seems to have done it, Hope. Good ...."

Mission Control butted in.

"Victoria's Hope. 30 minutes to jump point. Did you get the heating problem solved? Telemetry shows all other systems normal. You are go for jump. We will be monitoring your departure from Farside."

"Ipagdadasal kita Mahal. Mag ingat ka!"

(That was definitely NOT Stan.)

"Mission Control, situation normal. Thank you, Vi. I shall return!"

Escort One chimed in, "You do that. We have a lot of people waiting to see you again. Standing by."

"Switching to automatics. Medical recorders on. Vacc suit sealed. Be seeing you!"

The HEPLARs cut off. Victoria's Hope undocked from the Cradle and drifted away. The Cradle slowly rotated and began its deceleration. In a few years, it would reach Mars orbit and be integrated into an orbital station.

A few dozen kilometers separated the Hope and the Cradle when a barely perceptible rumble that rose to to a skull-splitting roar permeated every bone and fiber of my being. I saw the hull stripped away and the frame crawling with ants. Vi and the Boss sat next to me sharing tea as we watched flying goatfish graze among the palm trees. Then everything went black.

• • •

I came to feeling like I had been the guest of honor at an avalanche. Everything hurt. My ears were ringing and my eyes would not focus. The faceplate of my vacc suit had red blotches all over the interior.

(Note to self: Mouth guards recommended to future hyperspace travellers.)

Minutes later, I could see and move well enough. The ship seemed intact, and I was all alone. I popped open the faceplate, and the acrid stench of fried circuitry assailed my nostrils.

(Yeah, I sometimes go for the prosaic. Deal with it.)

The status board showed some minor subsystems off-line, but their redundancies had already kicked in. It also showed that I had arrived . . . somewhere.

I cleaned up, took some aspirin, and made a tour of the ship. Everything looked normal, except for the failed modules. They were easily replaced.

Then I sat down and tried to find out where I was.

Ophiuchus was missing a star, and there was a bright yellow dot where it should not be. Spectrometry identified the latter as Sol, and the former as Barnard's Star.

I considered the significance of the moment. Being the first human to visit another star system made me some kind of hero, I guess. But it meant nothing until I got back and shared the data.

So, time to get to work.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I'm a little confused about the ending with references to Sol and Barnard's Star. Is he actually in a new star system now?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

I apologize for the long absence.  Narrative will continue soon.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

't Is nothing. Just a starhanger instead of the good ol' cliffhanger...

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Don't delay, join today!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

We all can afford it.
With the average update speed of the comic, this community will be around for a while....

Or did you intend to emphasise the "I" as well ?
If so, I do hope it's just "old age" and not some other diagnosis...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Krulle wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:45 am
We all can afford it.
Unless my insurance company stops being shitheels, I'll die before I see 40. (And, TBH, I hope I die before I get old.)
Don't delay, join today!

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Hālian wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:05 pm
Krulle wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:45 am
We all can afford it.
Unless my insurance company stops being shitheels, I'll die before I see 40. (And, TBH, I hope I die before I get old.)
Isn't every insurance company shitheels?