FAN Mail : and Idea Donations for your Story

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Red

FAN Mail : and Idea Donations for your Story

Post by Red »

This is in regards to the OUTSIDER Just in case you stumbled upon this site and have wondered what this place is about.
I think I got here by http://www.pvponline.com & http://www.lfgcomic.com/

I've been a Fan of Sci-fi and Space Opera; also when I 1st read "They were 11" Graphic novel (amazon only have the separated comic version) i already had an idea to for a Story of Different cultures Being represented From all over the Globe, with a Different spin to it Like "Babylon 5" & "Crest/Banner of the Stars" (as I've heard but haven't seen yet). But I don't have the skill to be a manga Artist like you; it's nice to see a web comic of this caliber. i guessing your comic is going in this direction. even though it's like Dark Elves in Space.

Interesting; that as an introduction to a new race, Gender was the immediate issue (i guess for a western mind set). Since diplomacy should be the 1st key aspect as "Do NOT piss off your Host" he should have asked what are the Rules and Regulation of the Culture as actions are not to offend them. But as the situation dictates, the progression of events makes the conversation Realistic.

I love the different hair styles that you are able to draw for each char for their uniqueness I wonder what kind of Hair stylist they have on board each ship.

I'm hoping to Drop ideas for you to decide to use or not; but I just wanted to put it out there Some how.
SpoilerShow
  • Marsupial births, one doesn't need to be a Furry to have one.
  • Metamorphosis Like a Butterfly or another form stage in development.
  • Offend someone the 1st time and Forgiveness is never granted and make an Arch-Enemy of a simple harmless misunderstanding. because of cultural and traditional mind set.
  • Race Memory = Like the telepathic nature v.s. nurture concept.
    IS there a Big Brain or TREE that contains all the History of the Loroi and is downloaded to them @ birth/Puberty/come of age/etc... stage of development.
  • Deflector Shield Array for Space dust not to penetrate the Hull for micro fractures and loosing hull atmo pressure.
    Are you also going to involve of the Trekki like examination of their Tech and Culture based tech?
  • Show Different types Government Aspects on each Race Culture, Diversity with in the worlds.
    Imperialism like in KINGs to also Delve into the mentality of each aspect that influence their culture.
  • Religion a foreign concept & Ancestral Piety explored.
  • Amazonian Society but the MALEs are the dominant species on the surface; but unofficially the women are the Secret society that controls all the government; like a corruption concept, but acceptable and moral. Unspoken, Untouchable and Culturally & Contextually Implied.
Last edited by Red on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

Red

Don't know where to post

Post by Red »

Should i make a separate thread for ideas to donate?

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: FAN Mail : and Idea Donations for your Story

Post by Arioch »

Red wrote:I love the different hair styles that you are able to draw for each char for their uniqueness I wonder what kind of Hair stylist they have on board each ship.
Thanks! I am assuming that the Loroi style their own hair (or do each other's), and probably don't have dedicated stylists. Spending time grooming one's own long hair is a recurring feature in warrior cultures (see: Maasai, Sparta).
Red wrote:Race Memory = Like the telepathic nature v.s. nurture concept.
The Listel caste, who have eidetic memories, do form the basis of a sort of telepathic "race memory" for the Loroi. They have memories that go back even before the fall. However, since these memories have been passed from one individual to another many times, and stored in living brains (for whom recall can never be "perfect"), the memories have drifted over time, almost in the way that stories and legends change over generations and many retellings.
Red wrote:Deflector Shield Array for Space dust not to penetrate the Hull for micro fractures and loosing hull atmo pressure.
The defensive screens in use by the Loroi and Umiak are also somewhat effective against dust and debris, and would be kept on pretty much all the time.

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

I was thinking, Jokes that end with " I thought you said humanity did not have the Sanzai ability"
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

Red

Wikipedia for your World of Speculation?

Post by Red »

I wonder if one should create one out of speculation and then you can later admit it as a fact or till you post the next page. and the IPA symbols for the proper pronunciation of each "Alien" word.

Are we still in the MilkyWay or Is there a name for this Galaxy? Actually Milkyway is still a Large enough space to Hold all the Worlds of the SciFi ever created together. Mathematically speaking IT IS HUGE; the layman terms just makes it seem small. Conceptually, If you were able to Destroy a lot of Solar systems; it would be equivalent to an ant dying.

So the Eidetic memory is what the Listel have at Birth; So that means they Don't need to nurture it like a skill? the Race memory I'm talking about is knowing what they know now without needing to go to school, If they have schools?

I wonder if the storyline will go like B5's:Legend of the Rangers

I understand about the Spartans fellow comrades doing their hair, But that was Mostly the influence of Pederasty as their Military Training, which I highly doubt your Loroi are; Since you drew them being individualistically roaming around the ship, not in Pairs or clusters huddled together, but like a typical westerner, who values their individuality. (Body Language) If you have a cellphone all the time connected to each other how would you react daily, intuitively & the fact surprises are not much an issue.

You can attribute their individuality to the different hair styles they have ^_^ :lol:
As an Artist POV : I understand the eye candy and the distinction to each other char and again my kudos to your artistic talent again :mrgreen:
Storywise : I don't know if your going to dedicate a panel to explain the hair as part of their culture or not.
Does it reflect to the vanity of the race? well you can just ignore the issue altogether.
I doubt they have to do it out of boredom in-between battles. :lol:
manticore7: In V the series the Modern day version, that question was asked "Is there such a thing as an Ugly Alien?"
so Arioch,
What are YOUR influences for "the OUTSIDER"?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I posed this same question wondering when Alex would ask Beryl "Are there any ugly Loroi...?"

:)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Red

Maybe it's the ... *SPOILER ALERT*

Post by Red »

SpoilerShow
Could be the male species of the Lo-Roi . Could explain why the male looks like Females. :oops:

P.S. use spoiler Tags when replying to this specific post about the Male Lo-Roi or use a New Thread that i can Link it to.

Red

Re: Wikipedia for your World of Speculation? Do you have one

Post by Red »

Red wrote:I wonder if one should create one out of speculation and then you can later admit it as a fact or till you post the next page. and the IPA symbols for the proper pronunciation of each "Alien" word.

Are you planing to setup one?

so Arioch,
What are YOUR influences for "the OUTSIDER"?

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Wikipedia for your World of Speculation? Do you have one

Post by Arioch »

Red wrote: and the IPA symbols for the proper pronunciation of each "Alien" word. Are you planing to setup one?
No, I don't think that's really necessary. I do have a basic pronunciation guide below the list of Trade symbols.
Red wrote: so Arioch, What are YOUR influences for "the OUTSIDER"
List of influences
Visual influence map

Zachg56

Post by Zachg56 »

I'm curious as to how each group reacts to when the OpFor has decided to board a ship (crippled or not) in the unlikely event it happens, or vice versa. Are there dedicated teams that take up the role of overall security and/or ship defense or is every crewman/crew-woman able to partake in such roles? This also includes Planetary ops as well, since space superiority means nothing if you don't have boots on the ground to hold the line.

Also, assuming we get to see more humans other than the main character, what branch, assuming that they didn't all just meld into one Army/Navy ala UN Spacey (I blame Macross) partakes in most of the joint ventures between Humanity and the Loroi Alliance? Depending on whether or not you've already had designs in mind, would it be ok if I look around (or toss some drawings/sketches) for Terran Armed Forces personnel weaponry and armor/combat gear?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Zachg56 wrote:I'm curious as to how each group reacts to when the OpFor has decided to board a ship (crippled or not) in the unlikely event it happens, or vice versa. Are there dedicated teams that take up the role of overall security and/or ship defense or is every crewman/crew-woman able to partake in such roles? This also includes Planetary ops as well, since space superiority means nothing if you don't have boots on the ground to hold the line.
Loroi ships have dedicated security forces, and these would be led by the psionic Unsheathed in a boarding action. Individual crewmembers can also be armed and used as a supporting force. All Loroi of the warrior caste are trained in small-unit combat.

Ground forces would have a different organization than shipboard security. I don't plan to get much into formal ground combat in the story, so the infantry forces haven't been designed in any detail. At this stage of the war, neither side is very interested in occupying the planets of the other; they just want to exterminate them.
Zachg56 wrote:Also, assuming we get to see more humans other than the main character, what branch, assuming that they didn't all just meld into one Army/Navy ala UN Spacey (I blame Macross) partakes in most of the joint ventures between Humanity and the Loroi Alliance?
If the humans were to coordinate with one of the alien combatants, it would be done through the Terran Colonial Authority, which has jurisdiction over interplanetary issues. The agencies of the TCA which would be involved in the war would include the Scout Corps, the Colonial Fleet and perhaps the Colonial Marines. The individual nation-states and treaty combines of the human worlds will still have their own planetary military systems; on Earth there are probably two major treaty organizations (a Western descendant of NATO and an Eastern counterpart) and many smaller ones, and Aldea also has a small terrestrial defense force. However, it's very unlikely that either side would require anything of human ground forces beyond defending their own worlds.
Zachg56 wrote:Depending on whether or not you've already had designs in mind, would it be ok if I look around (or toss some drawings/sketches) for Terran Armed Forces personnel weaponry and armor/combat gear?
You're welcome to post whatever you'd like, but I hope there isn't an expectation that Outsider is designed by committee on the forums. I'm always interested to hear people's thoughts and ideas, but I'm not really looking for "idea donations."

Zachg56

Post by Zachg56 »

Arioch wrote:You're welcome to post whatever you'd like, but I hope there isn't an expectation that Outsider is designed by committee on the forums. I'm always interested to hear people's thoughts and ideas, but I'm not really looking for "idea donations."
Understood, I figured I'd ask that just as a precaution, because I'd rather get your permission first if I was going to try to toss ideas or make critiques on certain things if it helped out (mostly gear and what not due to being an engineer and having spent a fair amount of trooping around in armor :P)

In the mean time I guess I'll work on some speculative fan art in the mean time, despite the fact that drawing isn't my forte heheheh

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

its not really mine ether but I still do it anyway, I got a good grasp of perspective but light and shadow is still beyond me.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human