Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Jericho

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Jericho »

Arioch wrote:
Jericho wrote:The other views all sentient life as potential slaves to suit their needs.
But cats are benevolent overlords who require relatively little from their subjects; all one must do is feed them and keep the litter box clean, and be available for the occasional snuggle (when they feel like it).
Oh your master is benevolent. Mine barely lets me leave the basement to eat.
Cpt. Hamilton: "Broadcast friendship messages on all frequencies!"
Lt. Walker: "Wait... target aspect change. Reading... ah fuck MR. MUFFIN GET OFF THE CONSOLE!"
Yelling at the official ambassador from earth! I say if this is the level of discipline we can expect from a scout corp lieutenant then i seriously doubt the acadamy's application process.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote: Loroi: "Why was the story of the mating ritual of this 'Annie Hall' notable? Did it somehow impact her later historical achievements?"
Human: "Uh, no... Annie Hall isn't a real person. This is just a story about relationships."
Loroi: "WHAT?!? Why did you make me watch this?!?"
:shock: THE PERFECT WOMEN!\!!!
JQBogus wrote:
Arioch wrote: I suppose there are pretty smart birds that can talk... imagine how much the Loroi would appreciate that.

A trade speaking parrot is obviously a wonderful, non-refusable, non-disposable, diplomatic thank you gift from Captain/Ambassador Jardin to his first host, Stillstorm...
You sir, are Evil. Congratulation you are hired!
DevilDalek wrote:So the real reason the Bellermine decompressed so badly is due to cat flaps being installed in all the doors?
That would explain a lots of thing.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Are heterochromatic Loroi possible?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I don't know what you're asking. "Variously colored?"

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Don't delay, join today!

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

I can't find any information regarding defensive screens in the insider. Isn't there supposed to be some?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sure.
Jericho wrote:I can't find any information regarding defensive screens in the insider. Isn't there supposed to be some?
There isn't much currently. There's a page under construction called "ship systems" that describes drives and screens and other non-weapon systems.

In a nutshell, defensive screens are designed primarily to protect against particle beams and plasma weapons. Screens may deflect a shot altogether; failing that, the screens will absorb a set value of the damage of the shot before it penetrates to the ship. Penetration may overload the screen generators and reduce screen effectiveness, as will direct damage to the generators. Defensive screens are usually weakest in the rear quarter of a ship, because of potential interactions with the drive exhausts. Screens do not function well in atmosphere or dense clouds of gas/dust.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:Screens do not function well in atmosphere or dense clouds of gas/dust.
Like the location SG-51 found alex?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote: Like the location SG-51 found alex?
In denser portions of the proplyd, yes, but not in the area in which Alex was picked up (and the fighting took place).

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

I was researching Hadrian's Wall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian%27s_Wall todays and was wondering what the Loroi would think of Human architecture, both military and civilian. What kind of great works of architecture have the Loroi create on their three sister worlds?

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

Grayhome wrote:I was researching Hadrian's Wall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian%27s_Wall todays and was wondering what the Loroi would think of Human architecture, both military and civilian. What kind of great works of architecture have the Loroi create on their three sister worlds?

Thinking about Loroi and fortifications...

Are there Loroi with enough telekinetic power to blow through stone fortifications without an amplifier?

If not, did Loroi had access to amplifiers in their pre-industrial period?

If so, were these amplifiers something they were making themselves, or were they Soia relics?

In either case, were amplifiers and Loroi capable of using them to the level needed to blow through stone fortifications common enough to impact the development and usage of said fortifications?

Depending on the answers to these questions, it could be that Loroi never developed fortification to any great degree in their pre-industrial period.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The early Loroi were not great builders; during the ancient period the greatest works of the big city-states were mostly practical in nature: fortifications and defensive works, great harbors and lighthouses, great irrigation projects. The most famous great project of the ancient period on Deinar would be the fortifications built by the Eastern island nation of Daiam, who essentially ringed their whole territory with a network of walls and citadels, in an attempt to protect them from the rival nation of Nabolin.

Loroi would have been very impressed with human projects like the Great Pyramid, especially when told "it's just a tomb for one man."

In the Classical period on Deinar (iron age through pre-industrial), Menelos was the analogue of Rome, and sponsored many non-military projects, that could be compared to our Colossus, Great Library, and cultural buildings like Hagia Sophia/Notre Dame/Taj Mahal/Pantheon/Parthenon, most of which still exist in modern Menelos.
JQBogus wrote:Are there Loroi with enough telekinetic power to blow through stone fortifications without an amplifier? If not, did Loroi had access to amplifiers in their pre-industrial period?
No and no.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

How high are the highest mountains on the Loroi homeplanets?
And do they climb like humans climbed the highest peaks?
sapere aude.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Trantor wrote:How high are the highest mountains on the Loroi homeplanets? And do they climb like humans climbed the highest peaks?
I assume that all but the most sedentary cultures will have individuals who simply must must climb every mountain and ford every stream. Even Hobbits had Bilbo and Frodo.

Deinar has the highest mountains of the sister worlds, but they wouldn't be as high as Earth's, as Deinar is less tectonically active. However, it's also colder and the atmosphere is less dense, so those climbs will be just as hard as Everest if not harder.

Taben has enormous peaks, but they're mostly underwater. The highest peak above sea level would be about 1,000m (~Kilauea).

Perrein is old and not geologically active, so it has valleys and canyons rather than peaks. But the extreme sport on Perrein is climbing the monstrous trees (while not getting your head eaten by the climbing squid-things).

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:But the extreme sport on Perrein is climbing the monstrous trees (while not getting your head eaten by the climbing squid-things).
fredgiblet wrote:I want a tree-climbing squid-thing! *pouts*
Now we need a depiction. :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I agree a tree-climbing octopus monster sounds like an awesome pet, maybe Stillstorm has one as a pet in her Captain's office just like Jean-Luc Picard and his Scorpionfish. Well I do have one question of my own, what's Loroi humor like? Obviously humor is a subjective thing, but I imagine a bunch of stoic Loroi warriors probably wouldn't find slapstick all that entertaining.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:Loroi would have been very impressed with human projects like the Great Pyramid, especially when told "it's just a tomb for one man."
[/quote]

*After having listening to what are the great Pyramid*
*Graywind* Impressive indeed, only for one old ruler... Then your people will build one The size of my greatness

were did thoses squid climbing tree came from?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

CaptainChaos wrote:I agree a tree-climbing octopus monster sounds like an awesome pet, maybe Stillstorm has one as a pet in her Captain's office just like Jean-Luc Picard and his Scorpionfish.
Ze internetz offerz everyzing:

CaptainChaos wrote:Well I do have one question of my own, what's Loroi humor like?
One example:
http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider039.html
http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider040.html
sapere aude.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Arioch wrote:Perrein is old and not geologically active, so it has valleys and canyons rather than peaks. But the extreme sport on Perrein is climbing the monstrous trees (while not getting your head eaten by the climbing squid-things).
Is that in any way inspired by the Future is Wild series? :)

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Victor_D wrote:
Arioch wrote:Perrein is old and not geologically active, so it has valleys and canyons rather than peaks. But the extreme sport on Perrein is climbing the monstrous trees (while not getting your head eaten by the climbing squid-things).
Is that in any way inspired by the Future is Wild series? :)
I had the same question, but didn't know how this series was called.
Do the loroi use them as pets or let them fight against each other like some form of cockfight?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]