Loroi Trade translation request general

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Loroi Trade translation request general

Post by Arioch »

CJ Miller wrote: One exception is Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Auriok Bladewarden's power. I can't think of a way to word it in Trade that wouldn't be awkward like "Target creature gains power and toughness equal to Auriok Bladewarden's power".

Is that awkward? Sounds perfectly clear to me, and isn't any longer than the +X/+X version.
CJ Miller wrote: In that vein, what symbols if any do the Loroi use to represent addition and subtraction?
Again, the Loroi don't write in mathematical shorthand, so they would just write out the words for add (v. derre; n. "addition" derred), subtract (v. bizipi), etc.

discord

Post by discord »

side note, i feel sorry for Loroi mathematicians.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

discord wrote:side note, i feel sorry for Loroi mathematicians.
As there are different requirements, they may have developed their own logi-linguistic way to write their thoughts.
How does this resemble at all normal writing?
Supporter of forum RPG

discord

Post by discord »

bunny: that's just it, that is mathematics, it is a language of it's own....the loroi however are stuck with what resembles roman numerals in base eight, they don't even have a flipping 'zero', just the concept of nothing, written as 'nothing', that just does not fly well in math.

doing anything much more complicated than 1+1 is a pain in the behind using the loroi system, example.
ZP addition MP equals
or
10+16=
at this level of simplicity it gets that long, do you think the loroi equivalent of V=hwl gets shorter, since they do not have a specialized math symbols/language for even the basic addition/subtraction? and this is simply the formula for figuring out the volume of a box,
actually i think it would go something like.
volume equals height times width times length.
V=hwl

general relativity? i feel so sorry for loroi mathematicians.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

No doubt Loroi mathematicians have arcane jargon for their own purposes, but it is not mainstream to the culture the way algebra is for us.

Actually I think it's impressive that such things are mainstream in our culture especially given how loudly most people profess to be ignorant about math. If you describe a simple equation (such as that on the MtG card in question) in terms of X and Y, the vast majority of people will understand exactly what you mean.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Quick questions.

First: Is our math unique to us or are there other races with similar mathmatics.

Second: If ours is unique are the other races stuck with the aggravating loroi system (seriously i tried to do simple equations with the damn thing and after 23 seconds i felt like commiting genocide).
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Mathematical concepts are universal, but each civilization may have different kinds of notation and numerical systems to represent them. Some may be easier or harder to use than others, but it seems to me that once you have developed computer tools, ease of use is really not that big a deal.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Arioch wrote:Mathematical concepts are universal, but each civilization may have different kinds of notation and numerical systems to represent them. Some may be easier or harder to use than others, but it seems to me that once you have developed computer tools, ease of use is really not that big a deal.
Once they were developed, sure, but I wouldn't want to be the one who developed those computer tools using the Loroi numerical system...

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Arioch wrote:The words in the lexicon on the webpage are a small subset (~470) of my master list, which is a spreadsheet with about 3,400 entries. Most were automatically generated by software according to the pronunciation rules of Trade, and assigned to a list.
May I ask what software, if it's not a secret?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Victor_D wrote:May I ask what software, if it's not a secret?
Check the bottom line of this thread. :geek:

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

GeoModder wrote:
Victor_D wrote: May I ask what software, if it's not a secret?
Check the bottom line of this thread. :geek:
Oups, sorry, I missed that :oops:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Langmaker website is now defunct, but I still have the software install package here: http://www.well-of-souls.com/temp/langm ... llinst.zip

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I was gonna use that to make Loroi words for MTG use ("haste", "library", "upkeep", etc.) but there's no LOROI.LEX :P
Don't delay, join today!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Something out of nothing
I need this in Loroi Trade for the motto of the Emirate, please :3
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Reviewing the enlarged intro pages, I just noticed Alex uses 'pipolsid' as translation for 'floating" in his Major Tom song.
So the race is literally called 'The Floaters' in Trade? Are their any other races which have a hallmark of them used as their depiction in Trade?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CJ Miller wrote:
Something out of nothing
I need this in Loroi Trade for the motto of the Emirate, please :3
Milol ronnei bishires (literally "a thing from naught").
GeoModder wrote:Reviewing the enlarged intro pages, I just noticed Alex uses 'pipolsid' as translation for 'floating" in his Major Tom song.
So the race is literally called 'The Floaters' in Trade? Are their any other races which have a hallmark of them used as their depiction in Trade?
That's correct. As you can imagine, the Pipolsid don't have spoken language of their own. Other examples of descriptive Trade race names are golim "loper" and nibiren "farmer".

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Rather evocative names. Imagining a photo of a line up of aliens being presented to Loroi children in whatever passes as primary school. This is a farmer, a floater... follows along... sees a human... What name would they give us? An empty? A void? A silent? A wall? A fake/not-Loroi? Everything I can think of makes me think of humans as the boogey man. Not to say thats a bad thing.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Nemo wrote:Rather evocative names. Imagining a photo of a line up of aliens being presented to Loroi children in whatever passes as primary school. This is a farmer, a floater... follows along... sees a human... What name would they give us? An empty? A void? A silent? A wall? A fake/not-Loroi? Everything I can think of makes me think of humans as the boogey man. Not to say thats a bad thing.

if it prevent them from destroying us then i take it ;)

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Nemo wrote:Rather evocative names. Imagining a photo of a line up of aliens being presented to Loroi children in whatever passes as primary school. This is a farmer, a floater... follows along... sees a human... What name would they give us? An empty? A void? A silent? A wall? A fake/not-Loroi? Everything I can think of makes me think of humans as the boogey man. Not to say thats a bad thing.
I think that our race is being called as pinky.
Supporter of forum RPG

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Must be more... evocative.
SpoilerShow
Silent Thunder.

Or perhaps Quiet Wind.