Master of Orion 2 (and Space Strategy Games Discussion)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: M.O.O. 2

Post by Karst45 »

fredgiblet wrote:Stardock sale on Steam. Gal Civ 1 and 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity and Rebellion are all 75% off.

IS SOSE 2 still bugged as hell?

Charlie

Re: M.O.O. 2

Post by Charlie »

Karst45 wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:Stardock sale on Steam. Gal Civ 1 and 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity and Rebellion are all 75% off.

IS SOSE 2 still bugged as hell?
I swear thats been asked before.
It is still bugged somewhat, but the patches have fixed most of the heavy stuff. It`s much better now.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Master of Orion 2 (and 4X Games Discussion)

Post by Arioch »

Age of Wonders III looks like it's coming soon.

For those not in the know, the Age of Wonders series is essentially a continuation of Master of Magic, which was the fantasy analogue to Master of Orion by the same developer (SimTex). Even if the fantasy setting is not your cup of tea, it's one the best examples of turn-based 4X strategy games with both a strategic and a tactical mode (like MOO, XCOM, Jagged Alliance, etc.).

Pharos

Post by Pharos »

I've been playing a game called Distant Worlds for a while now, it's damn fun if time consuming, though it's real-time rather than turn-based. It's extremely in-depth, but you can have the AI take care of most aspects that you don't want to handle and it'll actually be reasonably competent at it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Pharos wrote:I've been playing a game called Distant Worlds for a while now, it's damn fun if time consuming, though it's real-time rather than turn-based. It's extremely in-depth, but you can have the AI take care of most aspects that you don't want to handle and it'll actually be reasonably competent at it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/
Interresting, lately i was caught playing Stardrive.

And as funny as it seem, am kind of going Historian on the game. One of the race that was friendly, suddenly started to spy and steal from me. so i boosted an dying race that was at war with them to cause interference and slow them while i was finishing another war. Now let just hope that this alliance will last, cause they (the helped race) pump ship faster than i am :S

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

What do you guys think of Stardrive? It looks interesting, but the reviews from May/June mostly indicate that it is buggy and unfinished.

Endless Space also looks good, and got much better reviews. Any experiences to relate?

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

As it stands, I intend to but it, although I haven`t read anything regarding it`s state.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Well, I haven't bought Stardrive because of the very same reason you mentioned: the reviews and the few guys I know who bought it said it was terrible.
Endless Space on the other hand is rather nice, especially with the expansion. It feels very much like MOO2, with the exception that battles are fought in a rather strange way. You basically have 3 phases in which you can pick a "card" and activate a tactic, abillity, etc... This can be annoying as you have no direct controll over your ships. But if you can look over that, its a good game.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

discord

Post by discord »

stardrive IS buggy and unfinished, but it does have some good humor in it, interesting ship design, pretty decent strategic conflict, there is also some talk on the forum about switching from realtime to turnbased, and apparently have two different builds running side by side....or was it changing game engine because the current one was too limiting...cant recall, but the game seems like it has potential, just needs a few more years of work at current pacing.

endless space on the other hand is pretty damn good now, and i personally like the card combat system, makes it much easier to fast forward the fights, which can be MANY on a single turn.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:What do you guys think of Stardrive? It looks interesting, but the reviews from May/June mostly indicate that it is buggy and unfinished.

Endless Space also looks good, and got much better reviews. Any experiences to relate?

well there is some bug, but as long as you don't alt-tab you will be fine :) but overall it make me thing of Moo2 but with real time battle

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Karst45 wrote:but as long as you don't alt-tab you will be fine :)
I consider this a sign of carelessness and sloppiness myself. I will freely admit that I don't code, so I don't know how hard it is to make that work, but IMO the ability to Alt-Tab reliably should be considered essential in any game or other full-screen program.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Also watch your fleet, sometime they tend to just give themself order :S

i dont know if it because they try to regroup or one lone ship of the fleet encounter an ennemy and every ship want a pieces of it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yeah... the level of automation in Stardrive sounds like it may have gone a bridge too far. I understand the desire for some automation in games of this type because of the inevitable late-game explosion of units and tasks, but I think it's often overdone. Games that play themselves aren't much fun.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:Yeah... the level of automation in Stardrive sounds like it may have gone a bridge too far. I understand the desire for some automation in games of this type because of the inevitable late-game explosion of units and tasks, but I think it's often overdone. Games that play themselves aren't much fun.
well i dont see much automation, sound more like a bug to me, if you put a fleet there they should stay there (and attack what ever come close) unless told otherwise

but thing i like is the fleet management, you set your formation and just can requisition ship (aka build them at the most efficient shipyard) It help creat and maintain that deffence fleet, or planet destroyer

what i dont like, and found quite fun in SOTS and Master of orion2, was the limit in technologies. You could only ever use part of the tech tree and would have to make due with what you had.

in Stardrive, you cant research the whole tech tree, and so do you enemy, making the end game more about, what races have the bigger fleet. not the "i have fewer ship but STARCONVERTER BITCH!"

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Kerbal Space Program is 40% off on Steam until Monday morning.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

fredgiblet wrote:Kerbal Space Program is 40% off on Steam until Monday morning.
Already buyed it, it worth every cent and even more!

GO BUY IT!!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

FYI, Endless Space is 75% off on Steam today only,

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Not 4X, but Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 3, Planescape: Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil are all on sale for a total of $5 at GamersGate.

There's a collection of all, I think, Command and Conquer games on sale for $5 on Amazon as well.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Purchased endless space, now I begin the arduous journey of figuring out yet another space civ sim game mechanics. Oooooh joy.

It certainly looks impressive.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It looks pretty good so far. The production system is a bit obtuse, and I'm having some problems with the fleet system (multiple fleets in the same system can't seem to be combined when there's an enemy fleet in the system, so your fleets are attacked separately and so you can be defeated even when you grossly outnumber the enemy), but for the most part it seems to be one of the better space 4X games that I've seen recently.