Master of Orion 2 (and Space Strategy Games Discussion)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: Master of Orion 2 (and Space Strategy Games Discussion)

Post by fredgiblet »

I think that comes from Kickstarters, lots of Kickstarters include beta access in a higher-tier package, usually there's something else extra as well, but it's almost always more expensive to get beta access. I also think it's a good idea as it gives you pause to look, if they put up GalCiv III at, say, $45 there's a lot of people who'd jump on it not realizing that it was pre-release, if it's $100 people are going to balk and look at the listing before buying it.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Since we already talked about KSP here,

it seem Nasa put their touch in the game and created the "ARM project" Asteroid Redicection Mission

Mostly what new:
New engine,
new fuel tank
Randomly generated asteroid, Some that may impact Kerbal and the possibility, with time, fuel and blood, to build a small ring of rock around Kerbal :)

KSP promo video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9fvjKVuULQ

For some gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_1wJ6MLhfg#t=450

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I think the improved joints rate highly too. Default science progression is... well it just seems off. You get atmospheric pressure meters and thermometers and such well after you should/could be leaving Kerbin behind, but to make the most of the science available you have to keep poping into different biomes to take readings. Havent looked into modding that yet, any suggestions? Also looking to replace ioncross, which I had been using almost solely for the simple flight control system it offered. Nice to be able to orient pro/retrograde or at your maneuver vector by pressing a button.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Nemo wrote:I think the improved joints rate highly too. Default science progression is... well it just seems off. You get atmospheric pressure meters and thermometers and such well after you should/could be leaving Kerbin behind, but to make the most of the science available you have to keep poping into different biomes to take readings. Havent looked into modding that yet, any suggestions? Also looking to replace ioncross, which I had been using almost solely for the simple flight control system it offered. Nice to be able to orient pro/retrograde or at your maneuver vector by pressing a button.

well there a mod that actually improve the navball if that what you meant by "ioncross" Not only do it add prograde and retrograde but it also show a little "ghost" Pro/Ret so you dont start wondering where you should turn.

It also add a marker for normal, anti-normal radial+ and radial-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVui6Fr1vuA
http://kerbalspaceport.com/enhancednavball/

As for mod, that depend what your objective are, i you want neat looking plane, i suggest B9 aerospace

But it true that the science part is kind of deficient at the moment. I mean, you have no real interrest in making probe as often, it only bring you 20% of the total science. They added the space science lab, but so far that only increase it to 30-40%.

i say sending probe or sending a kerbal should be 2 different experimentation.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I was poking around in ye olde mods bin and figured it wasnt ioncross, it was ampyear with ion RCS. Further poking yielded that the fcs contained within Ampyear was actually a derived from remote tech, which wont be updated till .24. Ah well.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is on sale on Steam today.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Master of Orion 1 + 2 is on sale at GOG.com for $5.99, link below.

http://www.gog.com/game/master_of_orion_1_2

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Shadowrun Returns, which is an XCOM-style RPG, is on sale for $5.09 until May 5.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Shadowrun Returns is a good game, the expansion DLC Dragonfall is even better. Definitely recommend both of them. Combine the two of them with Steam Workshop and it's an amazing deal. Highly recommend.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

fredgiblet wrote:Shadowrun Returns is a good game, the expansion DLC Dragonfall is even better. Definitely recommend both of them. Combine the two of them with Steam Workshop and it's an amazing deal. Highly recommend.
yeah it was on my wish list, ill be sure to get it!

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

A Homeworld-styled RTS game called "Contact Vector" is currently up for kickstarter. Their brief has a lot of interesting and even exciting ideas that would, I think, fit this kind of game very well. They are, however, asking for £85,000 in order to fund it. For such a niche market I really don't see too much hope of it succeeding, but I wish them the best of luck.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... vector-rts

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Was This ever mentioned here?
Looks a lot like Homeworld and you can apparently fly one of those interceptors yourself.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I think it's possible that "homage" can be taken too far. They even use the same font as Homeworld.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

CptWinters wrote:A Homeworld-styled RTS game called "Contact Vector" is currently up for kickstarter. Their brief has a lot of interesting and even exciting ideas that would, I think, fit this kind of game very well. They are, however, asking for £85,000 in order to fund it. For such a niche market I really don't see too much hope of it succeeding, but I wish them the best of luck.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... vector-rts
their shielding are interesting, instead of the classical : sphere or decagon those look more like old school tower sheild (medieval era)

But i feel like there a lot of fluff and not enough meat and bone to hold that.

All in the eyes candy but not much in the game mechanic/story

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Yeah, the campaign looks to be more of a free form open-world style framework, and that generally doesn't work too well with a strong central narrative.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Siber

Post by Siber »

In the various gaming site video reports you can see snippets of a common B-roll they were given... which is fairly standard practice. But someone posted the whole 5 min 25 sec B-roll on youtube, which is a pretty good look at things.

There are some small issues that could be fixed in the remaining month, and a few bigger beefs I have with some parts of it that aren't likely to change... but those kadeshi ships make it really hard for me to complain.

It's going to be imperfect, but after 15+ years of waiting and imagining, what wouldn't be? I'm excited.

According to Gamespot they even had the original VA for Karan S'jet come back and record all the Karan lines for HW2, which is an interesting move.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Siber wrote:According to Gamespot they even had the original VA for Karan S'jet come back and record all the Karan lines for HW2, which is an interesting move.
HA!!!!! VICTORY IS MINE!!!

Siber

Post by Siber »

I thought you might appreciate that tidbit :)
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Lmao, heres hoping they go the whole way and have her redub the easter egg too.