[RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Suederwind

Re: [RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

Post by Suederwind »

A lot of us have other things to do at the moment, including me. But dead? I don't think so, yet.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

The RP is not dead... just terribly slow. I'm willing to post as long as Suederwind is willing to run the game.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

And as long as someone wants to play the RP, I am willing to GM it. ;)
Regarding the speed: I am sure it will go faster from now on.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

To be honest I'm running on a 06:30 to 06:30 shit now with one hour travel time each way and an hour at the Gym everyday. My time has be getting sparse. I'll try and be better about posting.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

No problem Charlie. I had a though week, but I will try to post something new tomorrow.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Alright.

So.

Is this still going to try and be a thing or does everyone want to move onto TdSmR*/something else entirely?

*Roeben has said in PMs that there needs to be at least 3-4 players (including me) willing to do TdSmR for it to pop.
Don't delay, join today!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I'm still here and still willing to play.. not sure why Suederwind is not advancing the story.

But I'm ready to play whatever anyone wants to run.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Well, well... I think I need to explain my lack of posts in the RP thread lately:
At first: sorry, but things in my life were/are not going the way I have planed them. Thanks to university stuff and bad planing of my working shedules (among other things), I have not very much free time at the moment. I thought this would change back to normal, but it hasn't so far. Also I thought some other players would post something in the meantime and was initally waiting for them to do so. Sadly, this never happened. My misstake as well.

So, how to continue this RP? We are down to a low number of active players and a GM who has little time. Is there still interest from your side that we should go on? Or should we take a break till other players can come back? Is there someone interested to Co-GM or so?
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Consider me all but out, I'm rolling on thirteen hours days now. After that one hour in the gym. I don`t have anything left in the tank.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I would like to write some kind of ending for the RP, if you are okay with that?
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Tis a shame. :( Sorry I couldn't be around more than I was.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hey, thats no ones fault. I just don' t like unfinished things and I think you deserve some kind of end for it.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

{Ahem}!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Huh... I remember this.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Tempus fugit!
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Time to revive this old thread, I think. Will try to keep things smaller from now on. That means on the one smaller chapters that are easier to complete and on the other less npcs and rooms that are involved. After reading the whole RP again, I think thats the best way to go. I will try to keep things lighthearted, but the basic mood will be less happy in this chapter.
As always: if there are any questions, feel free to write me.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Getting to a reply post soon.. sorry for the delay. Writing ...well and descriptive takes some thought... I want to make a good post.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

I've kinda been keeping track since this came back to the top and Chapter 3 started. I'll have to go back and read through time permitting, but a thought struck me.

Given that Snow has cybernetic implants galore, it's fairly probable that the Umiak created some kind of Mind Machine Interface between Snow and whatever equipment they were using to control her.

While she's free of most of that equipment, the stuff that's in her brain meats is kind of stuck there. She's terrified of the humans she can't sense, and perhaps even moreso by the Loroi that she can. A possible avenue for helping her might be to study the Umiak's MMI and see if you can't rig up something of your own; technologically based telepathy. It wouldn't give humans any actual ability to send or receive telepathic signals to regular Loroi, but a non-invasive brain scanner mounted to a wifi transmitter would be able to let humans 'speak' and be detected by her.

It does introduce possible dilemma's. Do you try to benefit or learn from the fruits of abhorrently unethical research? Even if it's to help the victims? What is the correct path to helping Snow recover? Utilising her implants, or removing them and teaching her how to live again?

Just some thoughts that were kicking around when I woke up this morning.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Take your time sunphoenix, no need to rush. :)

About snow: At the moment, the players don't know what exactly the Umiak did to her. She is very afraid, as she can't sense or see the humans around her. Murasaki speculated about a few things, but doesn't know enough about the Loroi to be sure. Twilightsaber had some thoughts about Snows past, but doesn't know enough abot her, too.
There are a lot of implants stuffed into her and Razor Ones thoughts about this dilema are very good. Thanks for sharing them.
In short: You don't know what those implants do. They might be able to do good things and help you (as well as her) or hurt her (and/or you). On the other hand, removing them or accidentally aktive one could do more harm than good as well. There are many ways around this and ways to help her, just take your time.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Razor One wrote:
It does introduce possible dilemma's. Do you try to benefit or learn from the fruits of abhorrently unethical research? Even if it's to help the victims? What is the correct path to helping Snow recover? Utilising her implants, or removing them and teaching her how to live again?

Just some thoughts that were kicking around when I woke up this morning.
"What Do We Do With The Results of Unethical Experimentation?"
http://www.popbioethics.com/2011/09/wha ... mentation/

In my opinion, illegally obtained data SHOULD be used. Image that NASA where to deploy a new orbital telescope only to have a hacker hijack it later. People where hurt and threatened to obtain access codes, maybe even murdered. The hacker then tries to earn a buck by selling control back to NASA.

During the period when the hacker controls the telescope the hacker plays around with it and stumblers on an until then unknown asteroid heading for earth. The hackers pre warning gives NASA and others ten years to launch a rocket engine to the asteroid to gently change it course causing a near miss rather then an extinction event hit. It is clear from NASA's intended schedule for the telescope that they would have missed the asteroid.

Do we:
A: Use the criminally obtained data to save all life on earth from extinction?
or
B: Ignore the incoming asteroid on then grounds that knowledge of it was obtained unethically?

For Snow this mean that there is an option to use some of the stuff put in her to save her. Probes to pleasure senses in the brain for reward could be use to lower her fear of people. The crude amplifier the Umiak built could perhaps be reassembled and it's function reversed to instead lessen her powers to limit the danger until a proper reversed amplifier could be obtained. There is also a loroi with stunted sanzi in the group due to a head injury. Maybe that brain damage could surgically be replicated to, again to reduce the danger of Snows power. There are plenty of blind people living full lives and so could Snow. If her powers could be suppressed until she recovers mentally then she could become a Farseer and those are treated with the deepest respect in loroi society and blindness, even if it would be incurable would probably not be a problem. And if the loroi do not want an extra Farseer, humanity could surely have use for her talents, using carrot rather then stick to motivate her.

Just my observations as an outsider.