Captain Hamilton

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Jeremy

Captain Hamilton

Post by Jeremy »

I noticed that Alex - and, from what I gather, most younger officers - viewed Captain Hamilton with an almost hallowed respect. What did the man particularly do to earn that sort of admiration? I get that he's an explorer, but what did he explore that makes him a cut above others?

How long was he a captain? Was he in command of Bellarmine a long time before the story?

Senanthes

Re: Captain Hamilton

Post by Senanthes »

Color me curious as well. Was he some Jim Kirk-esque figure early on? Or the result of a long career that built a legend over time?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I wonder what the rank structure of the TCA is like. Call me crazy but I'd expect the leader of such an important expedition to have at least one star :P
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hamilton was respected in the spacer community as a top professional who operated his ship and crew at a very high level, and over his long career he made many first-jump system explorations (being the first to jump into an unexplored system is a dangerous business) and was involved in several successful deep space search and rescue missions. He was the mostly highly decorated of the active-duty scout captains.

I expect that the Scout Corps has admirals, but these are probably administrative positions. Hamilton was probably reluctant to give up his command for a desk job.

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Arioch wrote:Hamilton was respected in the spacer community as a top professional who operated his ship and crew at a very high level, and over his long career he made many first-jump system explorations (being the first to jump into an unexplored system is a dangerous business) and was involved in several successful deep space search and rescue missions. He was the mostly highly decorated of the active-duty scout captains.

I expect that the Scout Corps has admirals, but these are probably administrative positions. Hamilton was probably reluctant to give up his command for a desk job.
Understandably. Had Hamilton ever served in the Colonial Fleet prior to his command(s?) in the Scout Corps? For that matter, is it common, or even uncommon (as opposed to never) for a serviceman or officer to go from battlewagon to scout ship?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hamilton was never in the Colonial Fleet. Movement between the two services happens but is relatively uncommon, and would mostly be in the other direction.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote: I expect that the Scout Corps has admirals, but these are probably administrative positions. Hamilton was probably reluctant to give up his command for a desk job.
No admiral or commodore onboard the Prahbu coordinating the search?
I expect the Scout Corp's ships don't often work in groups due to the hugeness of space, so the captains of the involved ships might not be used to coordinate things with others of equal rank.