A bit of fanart

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

A bit of fanart

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It has been a while since I've had some free time to kick back and just draw whatever, but I did today. This is just an idea I was inspired to draw, based on the earlier discussion about Loroi social bias.

A civilian courier captain matches orbital velocity with a military destroyer, while delivering a replacement engine component. As the Loroi military is stretched thin, civilian vessels may sometimes be used to fill in the gaps. Being forced to deal with individuals well above their own social status is often stressful, so here the civilian captain is visibly relieved to learn that the young military captain is too weary to make a production out of asserting her social dominance. A straightforward delivery is much preferable to jumping through unnecessary hoops in order to satisfy the social hierarchy.

Senanthes

Re: A bit of fanart

Post by Senanthes »

Neat! I like. :D

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

very nice icekatze, welcome back to the forums. if I may ask what brought you back ?
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I, uh... didn't realize I had left.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Looks great, icekatze! :D

The poor Soroin on the other end of the comm looks quite weary.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Thanks. :) I imagine the poor Soroin (Soroin Torret, if I'm not mistaken) is saying something like, "No, that won't be necessary, the computer can handle it." while thinking something like, "I just want to get these repairs finished. I can sleep when we're in transit."

I don't actually know how interactions between military and civilians work, but considering how Byzantine their rank structure is within the military, I imagine even the most prestigious civilian will still be required to show ample deference to someone in a warrior caste.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

as well some of those civilian might be ex-warrior who couldn't pass the trials. add the extra shame to that however I could see the warriors turned civilians being better as some roles ( piloting being one)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Well drawn. :b:
And now we know where your avvie comes from. :mrgreen:

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I remember reading an explanation in a different setting about how the dynamics of a feudal power structure could play out when it is expanded to a vast empire that would make it impossible for a central authority to keep tabs on everything. Subordinates don't necessarily have any power or authority of their own, in the strictest sense, but they are still tasked with things by their superiors. So when they interact with others from a different branch of the hierarchy, they are effectively using their superior's authority by proxy. That can cause problems when they are dealing with someone that outranks them, because they can't exactly refuse to cooperate with their superior, and only after the fact will it become a disagreement between the two superiors.

A peasant isn't allowed to question a lord from a different district, because said lord is above the peasant's social rank, but any transgressions against said peasant are effectively transgressions against the lord's property. (The peasant, being treated as the lord's property.)

I suspect that the social structure the Loroi military are used to isn't quite so medieval, but that may be due to the efforts of their central authority and not out of any egalitarian concern for the lower classes.

I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before and gotten an answer, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Do ex-warriors have an additional stigma that goes beyond just being a civilian, or does their warrior birth give them an advantage in the civilian sector? Is their warrior dropout status an asset or a liability?

Also, thanks GeoModder, I admit that I may have been biased a little in choosing the subject matter for this picture, but what can I say?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

icekatze wrote:I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before and gotten an answer, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Do ex-warriors have an additional stigma that goes beyond just being a civilian, or does their warrior birth give them an advantage in the civilian sector? Is their warrior dropout status an asset or a liability?
The daughter of a Loroi warrior is not herself a warrior until she passes the trials; her birth status makes her eligible for diral training and the trials, but not much else. If a Loroi drops out of training or fails the trials, then she never was a warrior.

The rites of passage for a Loroi warrior are really just a test of toughness; the only way to fail (aside from being killed) is to quit. The contests in the trials are all group contests; as long as her companions are willing to cover for her, a weaker or less-competent individual will usually not be singled out and failed... the whole band passes or fails as a group, and a group that fails will usually be given another chance. So, chances are that any Loroi who failed the trials did so because she couldn't take it and voluntarily quit. Reaction to such a person among the civilians would vary, but I think many would have contempt for someone who squandered her chance at being a warrior.

Actual ex-warriors (that is, a Loroi who passed the trials but was later demoted) are very rare. This is because, similar to the trials, the only way for a Loroi to lose her status as a warrior is for her to voluntarily resign or refuse duty. Warriors never lose their status due to age or injury, and they can't even have it taken away as a result of criminal action; she can be punished or even executed... but she remains a warrior. Refusal of duty is a shameful affair, even for civilians, and so an ex-warrior would have no special status among civilians (though some might enjoy hearing tales of warrior life).

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Was checking google for pics and vids of the new Master of Orion game that's coming out, ran across this amazing piece of art and this seemed like the thread to post it.

By the amazingly talented SirTiefling... I think I've seen that name before somewhere... hmmm...

http://sirtiefling.deviantart.com/art/M ... -528868943

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:Looks great, icekatze! :D

The poor Soroin on the other end of the comm looks quite weary.
An idea just came in. Ever considered throwing in some fanart as illustrations for the insider?