Page 86

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: Page 86

Post by Karst45 »

osmium wrote:2) they're mostly out of gas, if the superheavies are dead in the water perhaps that first joust was an attempt to scare them out of the system to allow resupply in.

-O
could be, i never envisaged that option. That could explain why they are just drifting.
@Tash they are not going to admit it, nor do they need to, they only need to scare them, so maybe they will ask for something unimportant or be destroys, so the loroi will take the option of running away.
dex drako wrote:humans are kind of meaningless to anyone but the people that want to disprove the Loroi clams of being Soia.
Like the Umiak? Most of the loroi propaganda is about them being Soia decendant (or what ever) as a point of them being superior to the Umiak. Also most of the Loroi Allie will be shaken to see proof that the loroi lied. what else do the loroi would be hiding they will think.

And that something they can see from analysing an human (dead or alive)

Other reason for the contact:

1) they actually are a migrant fleet formed by the rebel of the many umiak occuped planet.
2) They were contacted by time traveler and need to end this war to face a bigger treat "the Reaper"
3) The Umiak is actually a veteran who like to boast and will show Human/loroi mutilated body to destroy the loroi moral.
4) Because Why the hell not? maybe thing have changed since the last 40 year of war (correct me on the date am too lazy to check)
5) They want to know who keep sending them those "enlarge your penis adds" though the Hyper-network and also "what the hell is a penis and why do it need enlargment"

Tash

Post by Tash »

Karst45 wrote:@Tash they are not going to admit it, nor do they need to, they only need to scare them, so maybe they will ask for something unimportant or be destroys, so the loroi will take the option of running away.
Aha, potentially, but it is generally better to say nothing than to say something which may tip your hand, especially against a seasoned commander. If you're just sitting there in your phalanx of warships, saying and doing nothing, how unnerving would that be? More importantly, what would it make the enemy think, whether it unnerves them or not?
Karst45 wrote:2) They were contacted by time traveler and need to end this war to face a bigger treat "the Reaper"
Ha! Joke's on the Reapers, kinetic barriers won't stop blasters or plasma foci. ;3

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Karst45 wrote:could be, i never envisaged that option. That could explain why they are just drifting.
Nah, they're drifting because aren't yet ready to attack.
Like the Umiak?
Like some of the Barsam, note Mozin's reaction to Alex's appearance, Mozin isn't a fan of the Loroi.
Most of the loroi propaganda is about them being Soia decendant (or what ever) as a point of them being superior to the Umiak. Also most of the Loroi Allie will be shaken to see proof that the loroi lied. what else do the loroi would be hiding they will think.
The Loroi didn't lie, they assumed, they just assumed wrong. That is unless we later meet up with Greywind or something and she says that they've known about humans all along. Also, not just the Umiak, superior to everyone.

BattleRaptor

Post by BattleRaptor »

ME barriers stop all particles with mass, only lasers penetrate.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Insider on Weapons Tech and Tactics wrote:The idea behind the plasma focus (or plasma beam) is that you have some mechanism for focusing plasma into a tight beam over very long distances. I imagine some sort of "carrier wave" that accomplishes this long-range cohesion... here we're talking pretty high tech, even for the aliens, so only the Umiak and Historians have really mastered this technique.
Ever since this article showed up, Historians for me were suspect #1.

Also, it's funny as heck if you take Jardin's last angry call. It's like he knew who attacked him...

Which is what the Historians will think once they get a translation of his message he made before being picked up by the Loroi.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Voitan wrote:Ever since this article showed up, Historians for me were suspect #1.
Same. Though I consider the Soia an interesting possibility.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

fredgiblet wrote:Though I consider the Soia an interesting possibility.
Ah, keep their pet species in their little playground, and not expose itself to the big boys?

osmium

Post by osmium »

BattleRaptor wrote:ME barriers stop all particles with mass, only lasers penetrate.
I would clarify that ME barriers can attempt to stop all particles with mass. Hence lasers are the only weapon that is unaffected. I just think "stop" implies a little more efficacy than "actual".

Also there are a number of different "barrier" types that people have spouted out in the old forums, from memory:

1) some sort of large E or B field that applies a force to charge particles, bending their path. If feasible, effective against charged particles, likely not effective against "massive" targets.

2) some sort of thim film of magnetic particles held at a distance with a large E or B field. Depending on the level of control over said field would be more or less effective. Could block or diffuse light, or particle streams, would likely be minimally effective against massive targets, might work against explosions. Would need to have enough control to accurately open holes in said shield to take sensor readings.

Oh and not sure it'll stick, but I've taken to calling Umiak commander as tic tac 27 because I misread that middle bit in his name the first time.

-O

anticarrot

Post by anticarrot »

Unless the Umiak have prior contact with humans - all they know is that Alex's vessel got jumped. This tells them nothing meaningful about humanity's technology or society. For all they know humans control thousands of systems, the Bellermine was super advanced, and their attacker just got very lucky. Or it might have been deliberately primitive to conceal humanity's true capabilities. Who knows how a new and alien species might think or act? They have every interest in either finding out more about this new species - and/or determining what value the Loroi place upon them.

And has the jamming of the Loroi farsight been conclusively linked to humanity? If so I missed that. If not then it still might be a Umiak super weapon, and they would want to not only demonstrate this new super-weapon, but also (assuming ten counts as more than 'occasionally seen') their sudden willingness to comit superheavies that were previously tied down in bivouac duty. This would be a very efficient time to demand conditional surrender.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

fredgiblet wrote: The Loroi didn't lie, they assumed, they just assumed wrong. That is unless we later meet up with Greywind or something and she says that they've known about humans all along. Also, not just the Umiak, superior to everyone.
I very much doubt that would be the case. Not unless it was some kind of ultra classified archeological record they found that implied that the Loroi were derived some way from humanity as a template. Kinda like how the Barsam (part of the Soia-Liron group of species) are so uncannily similar to the Nibiren.
Voitan wrote: Also, it's funny as heck if you take Jardin's last angry call. It's like he knew who attacked him...

Which is what the Historians will think once they get a translation of his message he made before being picked up by the Loroi.
You don't necessarily have to know the identity of someone who attacked you to be extremely pissed at them. I don't think they'd assume he knew the identity of his attackers just because he surrendered and asked to be taken to their leader.
anticarrot wrote:Unless the Umiak have prior contact with humans - all they know is that Alex's vessel got jumped. This tells them nothing meaningful about humanity's technology or society. For all they know humans control thousands of systems, the Bellermine was super advanced, and their attacker just got very lucky. Or it might have been deliberately primitive to conceal humanity's true capabilities. Who knows how a new and alien species might think or act? They have every interest in either finding out more about this new species - and/or determining what value the Loroi place upon them.

And has the jamming of the Loroi farsight been conclusively linked to humanity? If so I missed that. If not then it still might be a Umiak super weapon, and they would want to not only demonstrate this new super-weapon, but also (assuming ten counts as more than 'occasionally seen') their sudden willingness to comit superheavies that were previously tied down in bivouac duty. This would be a very efficient time to demand conditional surrender.
Even if the Umiak had some kind of jamming system like that, I doubt they'd want to advertise it to heavily to the Loroi. They'd much prefer to keep them guessing. And I'm not sure a demand of a surrender really makes sense in this situation. If the Loroi here were interested in survival, they would have retreated from the system by now. The only reason they'd have stuck around is if they had wanted to fight. And I doubt the Loroi military feel much like surrendering now that they know this is a war of extermination.

Though those are all very good reasons for the Umiak being interested in conflict. They DON'T know how much humanity could potentially influence the war. So allowing the Loroi to continue to have unrestricted access to him is unacceptable.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Ktrain wrote:
Voitan wrote:I always have to keep in mind that something out there Historians just doesn't want humanity poking its nose into the conflict. I'm guessing they're going to say that they have seen similar wrecks that the Loroi have in their possession.
Voitan, what your the basis for this conspiracy plot because it sounds quite interesting?
That was fathomed in one of the early threads in the old forum. The historians role is obscure and questionable (Why no full tech support for the spaceelves?), but my memory lacks the finer details, sorry.
Ktrain wrote:Furthermore, why would the Historians want to keep man out of the conflict if the conflict is eventually going to reach their borders?
Hm, cannot remember...
Can anyone here help out?
sapere aude.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

They're afraid of our SPESS MUHREENS?

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
Voitan wrote: Also, it's funny as heck if you take Jardin's last angry call. It's like he knew who attacked him...

You don't necessarily have to know the identity of someone who attacked you to be extremely pissed at them. I don't think they'd assume he knew the identity of his attackers just because he surrendered and asked to be taken to their leader.
You miss what I'm pointing out here.

I was hinting at a wonderful human phrase that can get twisted in translation:
Jardin wrote:There will be more of us. We'll keep coming, and coming... Until you're history. That's a promise from me to you.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

Voitan wrote: I was hinting at a wonderful human phrase that can get twisted in translation:
Jardin wrote:There will be more of us. We'll keep coming, and coming... Until you're history. That's a promise from me to you.
Pffft, well lets hope nobody is inclined to think humanity has pun making as a racial trait.
Trantor wrote: That was fathomed in one of the early threads in the old forum. The historians role is obscure and questionable (Why no full tech support for the spaceelves?), but my memory lacks the finer details, sorry.
It probably has to do with the fact that the Space Elves would become more powerful with full tech support. The Historians edge right now seems to be their better tech. They probably hope to have the war end with a Loroi victory, but the Loroi not having all their goodies.
dfacto wrote:They're afraid of our SPESS MUHREENS?
You would be to.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
Voitan wrote: I was hinting at a wonderful human phrase that can get twisted in translation:
Pffft, well lets hope nobody is inclined to think humanity has pun making as a racial trait.
You sure though? "Thinking out loud" had Beryl in stitches.

Racial Trait: Comedy & Memes +2

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

dfacto wrote:They're afraid of our SPESS MUHREENS?
That would be one epic crossover. But rahter short, as teh SPESS MUHREENS would be all "Burn in the righteous flames of the Emperor, Eldar Witch!"
Altough seeing Alexes and Loroi rection to the Astates would be priceless.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

anticarrot wrote:And has the jamming of the Loroi farsight been conclusively linked to humanity?
Nope.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jardin wrote:There will be more of us. We'll keep coming, and coming... Until you're history.
In the interest of full disclosure, I must point out that at the time that page was posted, the Historians (who hadn't appeared in the comic yet) had a different name.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

TrashMan wrote: That would be one epic crossover. But rahter short, as teh SPESS MUHREENS would be all "Burn in the righteous flames of the Emperor, Eldar Witch!"
Altough seeing Alexes and Loroi rection to the Astates would be priceless.
Maybe not as short as you think, considering Arioch mentioned Loroi Tedai being capable of mind blasting tanks to pieces.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

I'm wondering if negotiations will break down, due to the Umiak habit of tagging/labeling so many different objects/topics in their conversation, causing confusion/information overload for the recipients of the communication. When the Umiak gets annoyed with stillstorm, is the translator going to start pulling out gibberish as he starts trying to be clever into the babblefish?