Is Outsider still an active project, or is it over?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Sweforce

Re: Is Outsider still an active project, or is it over?

Post by Sweforce »

dragoongfa wrote:
Sweforce wrote:This forum have been silent the last few days, very few posts. I hope with can get some activity back.
This might have to do a lot with the drama that is unfolding in the sci-fi world at the moment.

My advice, stay out of it unless you can handle internet stupidity.
I totally missed that. I am a sci-fi fan but why bring politics into? Not that I mind politics but there is some activities that should be politically neutral. :shock:

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Sweforce wrote: I totally missed that. I am a sci-fi fan but why bring politics into? Not that I mind politics but there is some activities that should be politically neutral. :shock:
I totally agree on this but some people think that everything is political or shows political leaning, even the personal tastes on a wide range of subjects.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

dragoongfa wrote:
Sweforce wrote: I totally missed that. I am a sci-fi fan but why bring politics into? Not that I mind politics but there is some activities that should be politically neutral. :shock:
I totally agree on this but some people think that everything is political or shows political leaning, even the personal tastes on a wide range of subjects.
I would have though most people on these forums (like myself) wouldn't give a flying squirrel over such petty squabbles. I just like the story...

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm just holding my breath, waiting for some kind of update.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

I'm just holding my breath, waiting for some kind of update.
Me to but it doesn't need to be Arioch's I am very interested in dragoongfa's " Looking forward to the Mirror" for instance and other fanwork is also nice.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Southern Cross wrote:Ditto..
So someone else hates the W40K universe with the fury of a thousand burning galaxies!!!
W40k is OP plus human are total jerks.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Karst45 wrote:
Southern Cross wrote:Ditto..
So someone else hates the W40K universe with the fury of a thousand burning galaxies!!!
W40k is OP plus human are total jerks.

The galaxy is humanities birthright, you heretic!

Also, EVERYONE in 40K is a jerk, since there is only endless, total war.

*implodes your head from across the galaxy*

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Logannion wrote:On the plus side Dragoongfa, you've made me google 'Gamergate+athiesm Debate'.

I now know another saddening piece of internet trivia. :|
Google search is only going to lead you to the wikipedia page, and the numerous hit piece articles by the journalistic clique, that feeds into each other without one bit of actual journalism.

Suffice to say, the "everything is political" camp of the authoritarian left has compromised the neutrality of wikipedia with editors putting their politics into everything.

This feeds into the slacktivist journalist practices of news websites, they just wiki everything, and this in return gives the politically motivated editors on wikipedia to continue adding "new sources" to their articles, while aggressively barring any source that counters any of their politically favored articles.

This is why teachers tell you to not use wikipedia.
icekatz wrote:I'm just holding my breath, waiting for some kind of update.
I think you're getting a little blue in the face there. ;)

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

Google search is only going to lead you to the wikipedia page, and the numerous hit piece articles by the journalistic clique, that feeds into each other without one bit of actual journalism.

Suffice to say, the "everything is political" camp of the authoritarian left has compromised the neutrality of wikipedia with editors putting their politics into everything.

This feeds into the slacktivist journalist practices of news websites, they just wiki everything, and this in return gives the politically motivated editors on wikipedia to continue adding "new sources" to their articles, while aggressively barring any source that counters any of their politically favored articles.
Logannion wrote:
On the plus side Dragoongfa, you've made me google 'Gamergate+athiesm Debate'.

I now know another saddening piece of internet trivia. :|
Well, simply because I used google doesn't mean I clicked the first link it put down. I read another article, a short one that was quite one-sided and was enough to dissuade me from wanting to get involved. I got the gist, that's all I wanted to get.

Catoblepas

Post by Catoblepas »

Do you think the political stuff could be moved to a new thread where it would be more appropriate?

There is reason to be worried about in regards to the future of the webcomic-arioch declaring that he'd be done by Monday 'or be dead' and then dropping off the map. I'd rather not have to wade through political diatribes about 'Sad Puppies' or the 'Authoritarian Left' to get to any pertinent information that might arise.

Thanks.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I'm still here and on the map. I'm not dead; it just feels like it sometimes. I was just being melodramatic about the problems I'm going through, and not referring to the status of the comic -- it's not in any danger of being abandoned.

I'll talk more about it when I've got the new page done.

Darth Cloaked Guy

Post by Darth Cloaked Guy »

Thank God! You had me worried, Arioch! Stay safe, and as well as you can!

*anticipation INTENSIFIES*

Catoblepas

Post by Catoblepas »

Thank you for the reply Arioch. I was worried you might have had a mental breakdown or something.

I sincerely hope you pull through whatever it is that's hindering you. Hang in there!

Southern Cross

Post by Southern Cross »

Seconded.

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Definitely glad to hear you're among the living, my good sir. Hang in there. :)

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

We should make it an obligation to fill this place with fan fiction while we wait for Ariochs contribution. Let the Outsider universe live!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sweforce wrote:We should make it an obligation to fill this place with fan fiction while we wait for Ariochs contribution. Let the Outsider universe live!
That was the point of all the PbP Games there were here {at least for me... cooperative fan-fiction} ...but sadly those running and many play lost interest.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The problem with fan fiction, any form of fiction as a matter of fact, is that a lot of people don't know what they are getting into when they are starting.

To put it bluntly what someone needs to do in order to write (and/or draw) is to invest a significant amount of time and emotion into the project. A lot of people don't realize this and they tend to bite far more than they can handle which in the end forces them to back away quietly and disappear into the night :P.

My advice to anyone who wants to start writing a fan fic (or even original fiction) is to start small with short stories and see what their capabilities are before even thinking of running with their 'great but huge' idea that they originally came up with. When I followed my own advice I came up with this fan fic for Fairy Tail:

http://dragoongfa.deviantart.com/art/Ho ... -418490770

Which arguably turned out far better that the supposedly 'better' idea I originally had (and which bombed spectacularly), my third attempt of a Fairy Tail fan fic is currently on hiatus because frankly Fairy Tail jumped the shark recently.

Currently I have written enough short stories that I feel comfortable in expanding my range to the novel range (more than 50.000 less than 100.000 thousand words). My Outsider fan fic should cap at around 60 to 80 thousand, depending on how I will choose to explore some things. After that is done I will see what my flaws were and then implement those lessons to my original novel.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

It's more than time investment though. In my humble opinion, it's very important to capture the tone of the original story when one writes a fanfiction. The Pbp games that used to be played here did not manage that, I'm sorry to say (or, at least, not all the users managed to capture it).

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

That actually depends on a lot of factors. I agree that capturing the tone of the original author and their story is important. Many however fall for the trap of fully copying their style which imho is something that no one should pursue.

The best way to describe this is to equal it with exploring the unknown. The Original Author is the one who made the groundwork of the entire setting, the universe, it's 'rules' and quirks, its background information and the core storyline. Fan fiction is exploring the above through a different set of eyes and a somewhat different vision of the Original Author's groundwork. If someone intends to explore an other person's universe they should have respect both for the Original Author and the original work but also for their own interpretation of the original work. It may sound schizophrenic but they should try to balance the tone of the setting while also giving a new alternative vision of it without breaking the tone.

I hope that I will be able to keep the balance, god knows that I have put a lot of thought in my fan fic.