I sense something. Something I've not felt since...

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

TrashMan

Re: I sense something. Something I've not felt since...

Post by TrashMan »

Just curious..

If I write a book and describe a character as a tactical genius...then write a battle scene in which he does the most stupidest things that even someone who is not knowledgabe in miltiary tactics would see are stupid and should cause a disaster - and yet the character ends up winning.... which takes precedence?

And b.t.w - ALL real fighting is brutal. And it can be elegant and impressive, depending on skill.
Heck, REAL swordsmanship often looks far more intense and better than movie coreography.

So don't talk about real fighting if you don't know about it.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

TrashMan wrote:Just curious..

If I write a book and describe a character as a tactical genius...then write a battle scene in which he does the most stupidest things that even someone who is not knowledgabe in miltiary tactics would see are stupid and should cause a disaster - and yet the character ends up winning.... which takes precedence?
In the case you describe, the stupid because it breaks the suspension of disbelief and the plausibility of the character's background.

Unless he somehow knew in advance that the enemy was doing something far stupider that would allow the 'tactical genius' to win even with the stupident plot.

Then it's just going down to the level of stupid.

EDIT: I was typing fast but the typo fits perfectly:

Stupident = Stupid + Evident

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
And if Star Wars was real, that might actually mean something.

Look TrashMan, if all you are going to do is tell people they are stupid, while simultaneously not listening to anything anyone else is saying, I see no reason to listen to you any more in return.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

TrashMan wrote:So don't talk about real fighting if you don't know about it.
If you can't make your point more politely than this, then don't post.

discord

Post by discord »

trashman: so your logical answer to how something depicted works in-verse is an assumption that the makers of said verse are incompetent....that MIGHT explain why the media is the way it is, but it does not however explain how it works in-verse, which is what the rest of us are talking about.

trashman, as someone that knows something about weapon use, have you ever used boffer weapons? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_weapon
the slight increase in friction between two of them however makes sliding damn near impossible, which is pretty much what we are talking about, might explain a few things, since that is probably what they are green screening over when filming.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Is the Colbert Defense the best the claysaber has going for it? The focusing aperture and associated fiddly bits are just there for show? Even if it was designed as such and you could not slice off the guard why then intentionally mask it with material that would cover the hilt with molten slag?

Beyond the design itself being rather pointless, they took an easy art out and copied an existing well known real world weapon rather than push the idea through to a solid end. That may be what rankles most of all.

Example:

See? You can have a cross guard and retain virtually all the range of motion. This configuration would even give you more options since you could catch and apply twisting force to disarm your opponent where you have greatest leverage. Far more sensible.

Between this, repainted TIE Fighters, chopped up x-wings etc. it looks like they skipped right over concept art and went for 8-bit palette swapping.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

icekatze wrote:hi hi
And if Star Wars was real, that might actually mean something.

Look TrashMan, if all you are going to do is tell people they are stupid, while simultaneously not listening to anything anyone else is saying, I see no reason to listen to you any more in return.
That post was my response to the idea that real swordsmanship is ugly and non-cinematic.

It isn't.
People who never seen it canto really comment. It looks better and more interesting than the sword fights in movies...most of the times anyway.

Also, where have I called you stupid?

If you cannot bother to read and just want to play insulted and leave the discussion, I don't see why *I* should bother with *you*.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Arioch wrote:
Is this what passes for "horrible impolitness" in this neck of the woods?
Really?
:roll:

Seems more safe spaces are needed.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Frankly...
And what's stopping contact with the focusing crystal now, genius?
Yes. You have been abrasive and demeaning to others without cause while arrogantly attacking both their intellect and knowledge. Really would prefer the thread not to be locked in an inevitable flame war.

Is it the right post? You will know when you are calm, at peace, passive... hrmmm. Take the post Arioch highlighted and reread it without the offending passage. It conveys all the same points as before. Nothing is lost except the demand that others be silent.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

TrashMan wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Really?

I think his warning was more for your benefit than for whoever you were addressing it to. The tone of that particular phrase seemed to undermine your own argument since it came off in a "Sit down and shut up" tone rather than in a tone befitting one who knew the subject matter and was trying to inform. Someone who gets their point across politely is more credible than someone who can only get their point across impolitely, even if the former is objectively wrong, politeness goes a long way toward lending credibility and social legitimacy.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

TrashMan wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Really?

Personal attacks are not acceptable on this forum, ever, and I won't tolerate it. Telling the person that you are arguing with that he is ignorant or stupid and should shut up is a personal attack, and it does not add to your argument in any way. If that's not what you meant to say, then you should construct your posts more carefully, because that is actually what you said.

pinheadh78

Post by pinheadh78 »

I just came here to say that I'm looking forwards to a new Star Wars movie and seeing what Disney does with the franchise. After seeing the second teaser I'm genuinely starting to feel hopeful for the franchise as it looks like its going to be fun regardless of what the swords look like.

Lets all just take a seat, relax, and enjoy the build up to the coming spectacle eh? :D
SpoilerShow