Page 105 discussion

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Page 105 discussion

Post by dragoongfa »

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider105.html

It's out and all I can think of is that I will never be strapped on my seat by Beryl :oops:

EDIT:

Hmm...

Taking into account that 1 Solon is roughly equal to 1 Second then the trip to the frigate will take 5 hours and 20 minutes.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

peragrin

Re: Page 105 discussion

Post by peragrin »

If I was getting strapped in by beryl I would be resisting less.

So the shuttle doesn't have a jump engine which makes sense. I wonder if it will drop them off /then return and if stillstorm approved it's use or it is being borrowed by Tempo?

Yes I can see Stillstorm allowing it's use to get rid of him faster.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Five and a half hours on the shuttle and then three weeks to Seren?

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the shuttle is not going to have a smooth trip, and that the Clearbrook is never going to feature in the comic except as a rapidly expanding superheated gas cloud.

Much to Stillstorms chagrin.

Also, Beryl is adorable. That is all.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

A new page! What better way to start a new day? :)

My guess would be, that Tempo "borrowed" the shuttle somehow and Stillstorms only reply would be something like: "Fine, you can have the shuttle, but don't let it poo on the seats!"

In the last panel, Beryl looks like a mother, strapping her toddler in some kind of baby buggy (I hope thats the right english word for Kinderwagen).

Anyway: page looks beautiful, as always. :) Thanks, Arioch!
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

I imagine that Stillstorms line was more like "Fine, he can ride my shuttle, he can ride it straight to hell for all I care! And you can ride with him too! Just get him off. My. Ship!"
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Awesome new page!

Anyone have any idea as to why Tempo suddenly decided to tag along? I have a few.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Grayhome wrote:Awesome new page!

Anyone have any idea as to why Tempo suddenly decided to tag along? I have a few.
Tempo and Stillstorm disagree about Alex importance. Stillstorm see him as an abomination while Tempo see him as a powerful resource. He is of the template species the loroi where made to mimic an that fact does not fit well with many traditional loroi that see themselves as the the Soia's chosen successor.

My guess is that she planned the trip an simply withold the fact that she intended to be onboard. I also have this feeling that Tempo told Beryl that Stillstorm wanted her out of her sight. Tempo is the one that really have rifled her up not Beryl. Basically I suspect that Tempo are deserting her position, stealing the shuttle and the alien prisoner and whatever personnel she can recruit for this very illegal mission. They are stealing Stillstorm shuttle!

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I find it difficult to believe you could steal the Captain's personal shuttle on a ship like that without the command crew knowing. And then there is the Loroi penchant for brutal honesty. Just not seeing that kind of duplicity. Tempo is a diplomatic officer. If this is a first contact situation, her presence is a forgone conclusion. If this is an Umiak ruse, who better than a diplomatic officer and a walking recording machine to expose it?

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the shuttle is not going to have a smooth trip, and that the Clearbrook is never going to feature in the comic except as a rapidly expanding superheated gas cloud.
I find myself hoping you are correct if only because its one less set Arioch has to build.

(I hope thats the right english word for Kinderwagen).
It gets the point across. English is weird some times, the "correct" word depends on which side of the pond you're on. USA uses stroller or baby carriage (depending on which way the child faces). UK uses... pram?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Tempo doesn't have to go that far, since as the Mizol assigned on Tempest has the authority to issue admiralty level commands on certain issues and if this isn't one of them I don't know what would be. There is also the fact that Tempo is in a way Stillstorm's expendable leash (somewhat expendable), Stillstorm must be a problem child for Emperor Greywind and as such the Mizol assigned to her has to have a wide set of orders and the necessary pre-approved authority from up high to do so.

I don't believe that this is stealing the shuttle as much as it is Stillstorm grudgingly conceding that she can't win this fight with the hand she has been dealt with; furthermore if I am right and Tempo is Stillstorm's leash then Stillstorm kills two birds with one stone. She gets rid of the potential Umiak agent, she gets some time of peace and quiet without Tempo while also having the bonus of getting to not see Beryl and possibly Fireblade for some time.

All things considered, providing her personal shuttle could be seen as her own 'goodbye and choke on it' gesture.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

am i the only one who were thinking: She touched him! she touched Him!!!!! in the second panel.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Hmmm. If I had to guess what happens next... I don't think Tempo is lying, either directly or through Beryl by proxy, about this whole affair. If there IS a twist, and I think there might be just because that's a long timeskip to put this early after the larger timeskip of Alex's confinement, I don't think it'll be the Clearbrook being destroyed and the shuttle forced back to the Tempest, but more likely a surprise action by Umiak or someone else to capture and board the shuttle.

or it could just be there's a log and interesting conversation to eat up pages before jumping ahead to the Clearbrook, idk.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Finally I thought it would be 2018 when we got another update knock on wood. Also I am not sure I'd want Fireblade out of my I sight. Rule 1 of Alpha is never let a crazy chick out of your sight when she is freaking armed.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Karst45 wrote:am i the only one who were thinking: She touched him! she touched Him!!!!! in the second panel.
I KNOW...jitters! {Big GRIN!} :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Suederwind wrote: In the last panel, Beryl looks like a mother, strapping her toddler in some kind of baby buggy ...
hehe! Mama.. I want one too! Beryl could strap me in ANY TIME! lols!

But... all cheese aside... yes it IS a very beautiful page! love it! :D
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Karst45 wrote:am i the only one who were thinking: She touched him! she touched Him!!!!! in the second panel.
She is xenophile after all. She used an excusable opportunity to tuch him rather then simply show him while strapping herself.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I got the impression that Alex was moving so that Beryl could better reach the straps rather than trying to resist getting buckled in, and maybe taking the opportunity to look toward the back at the same time.

Also, given that the shuttle was converted to transport cargo, and Tempo was apologizing about the lack of amenities, I get the impression that Stillstorm doesn't much care for her personal shuttle except for the utility that it provides her militarily. Stillstorm strikes me as the kind of person who would rather be on the bridge anyways.

Edit: on closer inspection, it does seem that Beryl has a rather concerned look when she is touching Alex's shoulder, and while it seems like she is prodding him to one side so she can strap him in, I don't doubt that his total lack of reaction to being touched has gone unnoticed.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

But it is not skin-to-skin touching.

It may well be that Beryl is testing his ability to block Sanzai, and if he needs to consciously block the Loroi.
This does not seem to be the case when touching his clothing, so next time she might try for touching skin.

And maybe she wants to know how it would be NOT feeling and knowing everything about someone close.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

rewik

Post by rewik »

Is that a 5-point harness she's puting him in?
How? That seat is obviosly not suitable for such a harness. What's more, if there's a possible need of restraining the body with such a harness you'd also need a HANS device (restricting the movement of the head, acts like an airbag. Or even better - a Hybrid head restraint, as this one also secures head during a side-to-side motion), unless the Loroi have insanely tough neck muscles.

I assume Loroi pelvis is built differently and thus they don't use a 6-point harness instead.

DawnPaladin

Post by DawnPaladin »

Razor One wrote:I've got a sneaking suspicion that the shuttle is not going to have a smooth trip, and that the Clearbrook is never going to feature in the comic except as a rapidly expanding superheated gas cloud.
Yeah. I hope that shuttle has good emergency supplies.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

rewik wrote:Is that a 5-point harness she's puting him in?
How? That seat is obviosly not suitable for such a harness. What's more, if there's a possible need of restraining the body with such a harness you'd also need a HANS device (restricting the movement of the head, acts like an airbag. Or even better - a Hybrid head restraint, as this one also secures head during a side-to-side motion), unless the Loroi have insanely tough neck muscles.

I assume Loroi pelvis is built differently and thus they don't use a 6-point harness instead.
Or Arioch thought it would look weird if the seat belt was the same design as humans use. Sometimes you need a reminder that aliens think differently.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.