How Would Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Fare in Outsider

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

skaianDestiny

How Would Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Fare in Outsider

Post by skaianDestiny »

If they were magically transported over to the Outsider-verse, how would the Gamilas Empire, Earth, and the Gatlantis Empire fare against the races of Outsider?

Also, for those of you who are fans of SBY 2199, season 2 has been confirmed. :D There should be an announcement of production before the end of this year.

Razor One

Re: How Would Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Fare in Outsider

Post by Razor One »

Depends on the species.

Most would be at a severe disadvantage vs. the Gamilas due to their resource and mobility advantage, but that's true of their own universe so not much difference there.

The Loroi would likely be seen as an offshoot of the Jirel and either absorbed by the Gamilans or persecuted relentlessly. The Wave Loom is likely their most interesting technology, so that's about the limit of interest with the Gatlantis. Plasma Focus is a maybe, depending on how it stacks up against the standard armaments of most spacefaring species. Human-Loroi relations are anyone's guess really.

The Umiak likely have the 'best' chance of holding out against a full on Gamilan invasion force. They have a monstrous industrial capacity, are heedless to losses, and have a relatively massive amount of territory compared to other enemies that the Gamilan's have faced. I figure a grinding war of attrition there is likely.

The main key differences between Outsider and Yamato are the warp drive systems which have far more range than Outsiderverse FTL and the extragalactic scale of the Gamilan Empire. Loroi telepathy doesn't compare to Jirel mindfuckery, and Umiak industrial capacity doesn't compare to Gamilan Might.

In short, they fare poorly. They only really stand a chance in heavily entrenched and defended systems, and only for so long as they can last against attrition against a vastly superior foe. If given technological parity though, it becomes a bit more of a tossup, though the scale factor still works against them.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The FTL technology in 2199 isn't really compatible with the Outsider universe. If Geshtam drives and stargates were possible, the combatants in Outsider would have them too.

Assuming that these things could work in Outsider's universe, any of the warp-capable combatants from 2199 could simply bypass the front lines and destroy the enemy core worlds, and game over.

The weaponry in both settings seems roughly comparable (beam weapons can one-shot an unshielded enemy vessel), but in 2199 defensive shields are uncommon (only the Yamato seems to have them) and have a limited duration, so the Outsider vessels might have a significant edge in survivability, if the enemy forces could actually be brought to battle.

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

What I'm wondering is how Humanity from Gunbuster would fare.

Really not even a fair fight. Buster Machines are way overpowered and make little to no sense in the setting.

But Legends of Galactic Heroes... now that would be interesting.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Roeben wrote:What I'm wondering is how Humanity from Gunbuster would fare.

Really not even a fair fight. Buster Machines are way overpowered and make little to no sense in the setting.

But Legends of Galactic Heroes... now that would be interesting.
Yes, Legend of Galactic Heroes would be a damned nasty war...they would give the Umiak a hard fight... as they are Almost on the edge of tera-forming of battle planets for their needs. Not quite Niven scale stuff..but damn they do carry a crap ton of fleets to throw at the enemy..very HIGHLY accurate long-ranged beam weaponry!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Although I like Legend of the Galactic Heroes (LGH from now on) I believe that its space battles were too simplistic, with intentionally easy and understandable doctrines that turn out to be unrealistic when one thinks about them.

I think that it is a Japanese thing not to have overly realistic combat because the modern Japanese have an aversion with military history due to their past.

If there is one thing that some sci-fi writers have gotten right is that speed will play a huge role in space combat, for now we can only theorize about such combat but the truth of the matter is that the most dangerous space weapon will be any object that moves in relativistic speeds. With such a speed any object will be able to destroy whatever it hits and if one wants to keep that from happening they will need counter measures that can reach the same speed.

If inertial dumper tech is feasible then things become far more interesting.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Arioch wrote:The weaponry in both settings seems roughly comparable (beam weapons can one-shot an unshielded enemy vessel), but in 2199 defensive shields are uncommon (only the Yamato seems to have them) and have a limited duration, so the Outsider vessels might have a significant edge in survivability, if the enemy forces could actually be brought to battle.
We see shields on the Gamelas at the Nineth Battle of Pluto.

10 seconds into the trailer

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Dahak wrote:We see shields on the Gamelas at the Nineth Battle of Pluto.
We do see the inability of the pre-Iscandarian Earth weaponry to penetrate Gamilon armor, but I don't think it was ever said that they used shields. If I recall correctly, in a later battle (at Jupiter, I think) one of the Gamilon commanders scoffs that the Teron weaponry "can't even penetrate our armor." The Wave Motion shields used by the Yamato had the ability to deflect even Gamilon weaponry, but I don't think we ever saw the Yamato's weapons deflected by Gamilon vessels in a similar manner.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
We do see the inability of the pre-Iscandarian Earth weaponry to penetrate Gamilon armor, but I don't think it was ever said that they used shields. If I recall correctly, in a later battle (at Jupiter, I think) one of the Gamilon commanders scoffs that the Teron weaponry "can't even penetrate our armor." The Wave Motion shields used by the Yamato had the ability to deflect even Gamilon weaponry, but I don't think we ever saw the Yamato's weapons deflected by Gamilon vessels in a similar manner.
Could have just been an "overwhelming firepower" issue, or maybe the "shield" effect in that clip is meant to represent energy-field reinforced armor.

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

Arioch wrote:
The Gamilons have Migobueza coating on their ships, whose name comes from their term for the reflection satellites: Migobuia. Source: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/871/ It seems to be an anti-beam coating, though not powerful enough to deflect their own positron beams, Gatlantean beams, or the Yamato's positron shock cannons.

The Zoelguut-class dreadnought's bow is armored enough that it can deflect the Yamato's positron shock cannons.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Do Terran vessels not mount kinetic or laser weapons in SBY then?
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

RedDwarfIV wrote:Do Terran vessels not mount kinetic or laser weapons in SBY then?
Nope, they mount beam weaponry, specifically "high-pressure amplified light cannons". Their point-defense weaponry on their older ships do seem to be machine guns.

The Yamto's front two turrets are capable of firing "Type-3 shells", which are explosive kinetic shells (I headcanon them to be nuclear rounds, considering the explosions they generate). They're explicitly said to be shorter ranged and are only used when the Yamato is unable to power positron shock cannon rounds or when doing long-range bombardment beyond the horizon.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Oi. I know, I know, anime sci-fi, suspend your disbelief, but the mechanics of that 'deflection' snapshot make my brain hurt to look at.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

Siber wrote:Oi. I know, I know, anime sci-fi, suspend your disbelief, but the mechanics of that 'deflection' snapshot make my brain hurt to look at.
Not really. It's consistent with the other times beams are deflected.

Earth beams deflected by Gamilon ships.

The Yamato's turrets are triple mounts, and beam weapons in SBY 2199 are capable of combining into a single more powerful beam if they're fired in sync. The beams being deflected forced the three beams to split up.

Here's a link to the fight. Skip to 15:53.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Oh, I'm not denying it's internally consistent. I just can't stop trying to think of some way a beam could possibly work that way, curving back to the original direction rather than glancing off to a new angle or just splashing, and coming up pretty blank.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

Siber wrote:Oh, I'm not denying it's internally consistent. I just can't stop trying to think of some way a beam could possibly work that way, curving back to the original direction rather than glancing off to a new angle or just splashing, and coming up pretty blank.
It seems to be a property specific to whatever bounces off the Gamilon's armor. The beams that strike the Yamato when it's shielded behave the way you describe, glancing off to a new direction or being absorbed.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

While Yamato 2199 is remarkably realistic compared to the original, let's not pretend it's actually realistic. :D

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Arioch wrote:While Yamato 2199 is remarkably realistic compared to the original, let's not pretend it's actually realistic. :D
You mean space isn't an ocean???

::mind blown::