RP

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Rookie17

Re: RP

Post by Rookie17 »

(cough)

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

'yup. :(
Don't delay, join today!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

:) Just trying to find all the links so I can save them for quick reference...there are other games with equally if not better writing from the players!

I had a Immense amount of fun playing this game... thank you all for those who participated! Maybe someday we will play again... who knows...
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I wonder where Roeben and Vovinia went... I'd like to revive TdSmR :(

Failing that, a retread of it but shift the start point to sometime between 2000 and now?
Don't delay, join today!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

You didn't need to bump all of them. :|
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Please don't bump a dozen old threads without adding anything new to any of them. That's not cool.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Nope.. I sure don't... and I won't when THIS will suffice!

TEMPEST RISING Campaign -
Outsider RP
[RP] Tempest Expedition (OOC)
[RP] Tempest Expedition (Characters)
[RP] Tempest Expedition (IC)

OPERATION - DEEP STRIKE Campaign -
[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)
[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (IC)

INCURSION Campaign -
[RP] Incursion (OOC)
Character List
[RP] Incursion (IC)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

There are better ways to gauge interest then by Necromancing up a whole bunch of threads in the hopes people will magically re-appear and continue. I work a full time job now, and I don't have the time for this anymore, and several players have already moved on to other things. That's the short of it.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Well, since this got bumped...

I've been working behind the scenes on a CK2 / adventure style quest for Outsider. I think I've got a fairly good handle on most things, but there are a few stumbling blocks. For one I'm not sure if anyone will be interested, let alone familiar with the quest format, for two I've never run a quest before, so I'd probably goof it up. Also, I still need to actually play CK2 to see how stuff is done there instead of bumping around in CK2 style quest threads on other forums.

Still, the basic idea is that you're the captain of a ship or fleet that has found itself relegated into negative hyperspace, a place from which no one ever returns. Struggling against jump sickness, limited supply, and potentially hostile neighbours, you must lead your people and secure their lives and their future.

I'm hoping to do a test run with a human ship if there's enough interest. The format is completely different from the in character roleplaying that took place here, so that might be a turnoff for some. On the other hand, it's a good format for participants if they're low on time, since all they have to do is check their options and vote accordingly.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Siber

Post by Siber »

What is CK2 in this context?
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Crusader Kings II.
Don't delay, join today!

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Crusader Kings 2. I'm actually downloading the game right now on steam to give it a whirl, but the basic format would be thus:

Spoilered for length.
SpoilerShow
Military (Choose one)

[] Shell the Shells: Those Umiak are at it again! Crush them!
Cost: 250 Starbucks, Chance of Success: 50%, Rewards: Dead Shells. The best kind.

[] Crush the Shells: That Umiak Outpost in Yrbas has got to go.
Cost: 35000 Starbucks, Chance of Success: 40%, Rewards: Shell outpost in Yrbas destroyed. The Battle of Yrbas interlude unlocked.

[] Too close for comfort: Those pesky hunams look just like Loroi! It's a trap! Kill them before they kill you!
Cost: 250 Starbucks, Chance of Success: 97%, Rewards: Dead hunams. Almost as good as dead shells.

[] DRILLS FOR THE DRILL GOD!: You can't attack anyone if your soldiers are this weak! Drill them! Drill them right into the ground! Then drill them some more! Have them drilled so often that they dream of drills! Drill them until they love the drill! Drill baby drill!
Cost: 500 Starbucks, Chance of Success: 100%, Rewards: +1d50 to naval combat rolls on the next turn, +5 for the next seven rolls after.

Diplomacy (Choose one)

[] Unshell the Shells: Mizol Renara wants to try talking to the Shells for some reason. You can always replace her.
Cost: 1000 Starbucks, Chance of Success: 4%, Rewards: Dialogue with Shells opened up, potential path for peace, Diplomatic Overtures interlude unlocked, ???

[] Eye of the Beholder: Mizol Renara also wants to try talking to the hunams. At least its less stupid than talking to shells.
Cost: 500 Starbucks, Chance of Success 70%, Rewards: Contact made with humans, new diplomatic options unlocked, Trust and Fear interlude unlocked, ???

Stewardship (Choose one)

[] Build more factories: More factories means more production. More production means more dead shells. You like this idea.
Cost: 2000 Starbucks 100 Personnel, Chance of Success 80%, Rewards: Production increased by 1000

[] Build more progenation labs: Your limited population needs a boost and without males this is the way to do it. More Loroi means more dead shells. You also like this idea.
Cost: 4000 Starbucks 300 Personnel, chance of Success 40%, Rewards: Population growth rate doubled after six turns

Learning (Choose one)

[] Shell dissection: Your head scientist thinks she can learn new weaknesses by dissecting the shells you captured in your last battle. There's nothing about this plan you don't like.
Cost: 7000 Starbucks, chance of Success: 60%, Rewards: Bonus applied to infantry combat rolls

[] That glowy thing: Your head scientist insists that the glowy thing is a Soia artifact and needs to be studied.
Cost: 10,000 Starbucks, chance of Success: 15%, Rewards: ???

[] Building Better Boats: Your head scientist thinks that some of your ships could be better engineered. She's welcome to outdo the Union's best if she can.
Cost: 30,000 Starbucks, chance of Success: 10%, Rewards: Updated designs for your current ships. Unlocks retrofitting military action.

[] Building Better Bases: You can't always live on-ship all the time. That being said, your current holdings off-ship are a bit... ramshackle. Your head scientist thinks that she can get a handle of proper base architecture if she gets the time and resources though.
Cost: 10,000 Starbucks, chance of Success: 70%, Rewards: Unlocks new stewardship options

[] Building Better Boomies: Your eyes were glazing over until your head scientist reported that she might be able to recreate a waveloom with your current industry. She insists it won't be easy though.
Cost: 100,000 Starbucks, chance of Success 10%, Rewards: Waveloom upgrade unlocked on super capital ships. Many dead shells. Much destruction. Wow.

Intrigue (Choose one)

[] Merchant Spies: Mizol Renara feels that the merchants in the Cruithne corridor can form the basis of an excellent spy network if appropriately... 'convinced'.
Cost: 4000 Starbucks, chance of Success: 50%, Rewards: Cruithne corridor intelligence, more Intrigue options.

[] Recruitment Drive: Mizol Renara thinks that a few mid-ranking officers could be retrained as Mizol. It would take some of the workload off her shoulders. All she needs is a few good women.
Cost: 5000 Starbucks, chance of Success: 25%, Rewards: Additional Intrigue options, additional intrigue choice, new Mizol hero gained.

Piety (Choose one)

[] Seeing the enemy: Your Farseer wishes to investigate the Roiling steppes for the presence of others. It should be empty, but you can never be too sure.
Cost: 1000 Starbucks, chance of Success: ???, Rewards: Confirmation of any presence in the Roiling Steppes.

[] Sighting the enemy: Your Farseer could also focus more on those thrice damned Shells. Perhaps she could finally discern their numbers? At the very least she could track their movements.
Cost: 1000 Starbucks: chance of Success: 15%, Rewards: Knowledge of Umiak troop movements.

[] Finding Friends or Foes: The hunams resistance to farsensing is worrisome. You and everyone else would rest well if you could sense them. Perhaps it's just a matter of technique?
Cost: 1000 Starbucks, chance of Success: ???, Rewards: ???, ???, ???

Personal Actions (Choose two)

[] Sparring with Yola: Yola isn't merely your cabin girl and body guard. She also serves to keep your battlewits, mental and physical, sharp. Besides, you need to blow off some steam.
Cost: 0, chance of Success: 80%/40%/20%, Rewards: +1/+2/+3 Martial, increased closeness with Yola

[] Ripostes with Renara: As much as you hate to admit it, perhaps Mizol Renara could teach you a thing or two about using your tongue to cut the enemy to ribbons after all.
Cost: Your pride, chance of Success, 30%/20%/10%, Rewards: +1/+2/+3 Intrigue, rivalry with Renara changed from hateful to spiteful

[] Friend or foe: The hunam your forces rescued is still safely locked away. You still can't tell whether they're a threat or not and that positively maddens you. The reports you're receiving from your officers are clearly not enough. You need to take matters into your own hands.
Cost: 0, chance of Success: 60%/40%/20%, Rewards: +4/+7/+10 bonus on roll to human diplomacy. Reroll on critical failure. Knowledge of prisoner and humanity. Interlude unlocked: Stranger in a strange land.
Votes would probably take place on Survey Monkey to keep from cluttering the forum with dozens upon dozens of polls. Once a majority is reached, I'd put together a number of rolls, and if you roll well, you get the stated rewards, if you roll badly, you don't and have to bite the costs. If you roll extraordinarily well (crit success or higher) you get a bonus on top of the rewards, and if you roll extraordinarily badly, you suffer ever more grievous consequences. Results get posted up, and then gets followed up later by the next turns options. It essentially amounts to:

Turn 1 --> Turn 1 Results --> Turn 2... etc.

Some of the rewards have interludes promised as rewards. These are story posts set in the universe where your actions are expounded on a little more dramatically than in the Turn N results page. Some rewards unlock additional options, whilst others allow you to pick more of those options instead of the default amount. Some options get you new named heroes (which can affect your results), while others upgrade your military and civilian sectors.

Personal actions are special in that they upgrade the character you choose to play as, improve their personal relationships, and can give you free bonuses if you pursue certain goals over the long term. Depending on what species you play as, romantic partners are also a possibility, though any such romance would not be the focus of the quest and involve fades to black.

There's also initial stuff, like character generation, race selection and the like. You can see an example of it in action Here.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Aha. I'm familiar with the game, I've been playing far too much of it lately in fact, I'd just never seen it used in a forum quest context. Looks like it could be fun, and also a lot of work for the game runner.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I've never heard of CK2... but I'm game to play ANYTHING Outsider related, as to playing NOTHING outsider related {like I am right now}...! So I'm game.. count me in!

I'm a career sit-down paper and pencil role-playing gamer... most games without the interaction of face to face playing a role in a setting just don't have enough...'meat' to get my creative juices and interest flowing... but I REALLY like the Outsider Universe..so I'm willing to give ANYTHING a good ole' college try! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

In the small picture, there is a bit of an adventure subcomponent where you control your main character when you unlock certain things. Think of it as a CYOA with a writer on board to describe what happens.

On the large picture, you'll be characterising what is effectively your own fiefdom in space, setting policy, controlling the flow of culture, and alternately competing or cooperating with alien species.

I'll see about cleaning up my notes and working out any further kinks in my system. The research tree needs a bit more work before I can feel fully confident in doing a test run.
SpoilerShow

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Want.

Extra points if I can use my own race, of course, but since they're blue psychic space elves too, I can understand if that makes it too crowded. :þ
Don't delay, join today!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I still have no idea how this is supposed to work, but count me in, too.

There are still two outsider related things on my to-do list:
1. Finish the end for the Cydonia Rising RP. (Yeah, its long overdue...)
2. Start working on a story about a few Loroi trapped on earth in our time.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Since there's interest, I've started a post Here. Had to write up two thirds of it because I was working off a human starting point originally but I'm feeling bold.
SpoilerShow