Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Sweforce

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Sweforce »

Carl Miller wrote:I think it would be cool if we could compile everything from the Insider static website into a wiki, that it might be easier to search and add to.
I agree and support that idea.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

At some point a wiki might make sense, as the number of character and ship and planet names and the like pile up, but right now the comic just isn't far enough along to have enough data to fill a wiki (pages on even the major characters would be barely a paragraph long). I don't think the Insider information would translate well into wiki format, as it's mostly Q&A, essays and concepts, and short on the kind of factoids that are reliably wiki-fied. I'm concerned that people would be tempted to fill in the blanks with speculation, which would often be wrong or misleading, and I would feel tempted to police the information, which I don't think would be a good use of my time.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I would also like to point out that a wiki doesn't feed the imagination the same way a messed up puzzle with missing pieces does.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Eh, there's a decent amount of wikifiable stuff, at least.

Which reminds me, one of these days I should make a Loroi Trade font that looks coherent with the average Latin (sans-?)serif font or something. :P
Don't delay, join today!

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Arioch, how popular was Emperor Greywind's implementation of martial law throughout the Loroi Empire? How extensive was it?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:Arioch, how popular was Emperor Greywind's implementation of martial law throughout the Loroi Empire? How extensive was it?
...why do you want to know? I have a strange feeling...

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

At this point I've given up critiquing anything, just curious.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Grayhome wrote:At this point I've given up critiquing anything, just curious.
Could also be spoilerish since the Loroi are not exactly united under one banner :P

What we know is that there was some short of civil war, Greywind's faction came on top. There may be some critical aspects of the story that will dig into this recent Loroi history at the midst of their war with the Umiak.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

It was likely very popular if I had to surmise. Some factions might have been miffed, but generally people tend to rally around strong charismatic in a time of turmoil to solve their problems and make the trains run on time. Given that Loroi society is more stratified and authoritarian by default, it seems a natural fit provided she can provide results. Everyone loves hard men warriors making hard decisions after all.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Not sure about that Razor. Greywind did have to deal with and uprising farely soon after getting in to power.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

I was referring more to the 'rabble' rather than the power players, civilians rather than other warrior castes. The initial throwdown amongst the factions would have to be interesting enough to warrant a shakeup but not so apocalyptic that it would setback the war effort too significantly. Greywind did come out on top in the end and the War continued, so while it was problematic to hit a civil war it can't have been utterly crippling and therefore implies an initial advantage for the victor. I'm going off memory, so I may need to refer to Insider again though.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Well a lot of the coup factions were wealthy civillians who stood a lot to loose under greywinds rule. But it's true that for the rabble thye most certainly didn't care about who was in charge as long as she gets results.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Prior to the formation of the Union, the Loroi economy was heavily managed by the military leadership. Though the military did not profit directly from private industry, they could usually control prices and set production priorities, which was important during wartime.

Around 1700, during the Seren sector expansion, the Loroi started to implement some free market reforms to better integrate with (and compete against) the other Union members. But free market practices were an odd fit for the Loroi economic system, which was built on trade guilds, monopolies, and protectionist policies. The peace and prosperity of the expansion era masked some of the inefficiencies of the guild system, and certain guilds and civilian leaders became extremely wealthy and influential.

When the war with the Umiak started, Loroi industry was slow to adapt to the reality of total war. By 2140, in addition to being at the brink of defeat, the economy was in chaos throughout Union territory. Shortages and price gouging had become widespread, resulting in production shortfalls of war materiel as costs spiraled out of control. Limited attempts by the Union Assembly to institute price controls had been met with black marketeering and the private shift of some production away from war supplies to more profitable goods. Some in the Loroi leadership (such as Greywind) had been calling for more dramatic action from the Imperial government, but Eighth Dawn was hesitant to change. The guild leaders were, of course, against such counter-reforms, as were some of the old guard admiralty (who felt sure they could turn the tide without disruption of the market rules and meddling in distasteful civilian businesses) as were some of the Loroi Axis opposition party (who were against any expansion of Imperial authority), as were many alien Union businesses who wanted to keep their profits without Loroi interference. Though the war had been going badly for the Loroi since the beginning, it had not yet entered a genocidal phase, and some aliens and Loroi who lived far from the front lines hadn't really gotten their heads around what they were up against.

When the situation became so dire that the Loroi Emperor herself was lost in action at the front, this was enough of a shock to the system that the Diadem chose Greywind as her successor. A group of Greywind’s opponents (mostly Axis admirals backed by civilian plutarchs) hastily organized an insurrection, but this was a short-sighted effort, as Greywind and her Mizol supporters saw the revolt coming and crushed it easily, and this failed coup attempt took the wind out of the sails of those more moderate elements who were gearing up to oppose Greywind's counter-reforms by more legitimate means. Few wanted to align themselves with those who were currently being executed as traitors, and so Greywind was able to take action without much formal opposition from the Assembly.

Greywind instituted a form of martial law in Union territory that mandated price controls and rationing of some commodities, and provided the means for security forces (or Loroi military forces, if necessary) to crack down on black marketeering. Loroi territory, including the occupied regions, was already technically under martial law (as the normal government is military); Greywind’s changes reinstated government control of many Loroi guilds and businesses. A number of wealthy civilian guild leaders were charged with war profiteering and their assets were seized.

These changes did not negatively impact the majority of the Loroi warrior and civilian population, and the quick turnaround in Loroi war fortunes made Greywind very popular, for a time. Alien union members did not like rationing or increased security, but most recognized the wartime necessity, especially as things started to get ugly in the Steppes and they learned what potentially lay in store for them should the Umiak win. There was some unrest in Delrias territory, as some Delrias businesses had been included in the government takeover (and a few Delrias plutarchs had been punished for price gouging), but this was more or less business as usual. However, since the onset of stalemate, Greywind’s honeymoon with the populace is mostly over.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Is there a mechanism, other than assassination, to impeach an Emperor? We know that, if one exists, it's never been used, but has its use ever been threatened in order to gain leverage or similar?
Don't delay, join today!

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Seems legit.

Where does Stillstorm figure into all of this? Did she support the previous emperor or was she more of a moderate?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Is there a mechanism, other than assassination, to impeach an Emperor? We know that, if one exists, it's never been used, but has its use ever been threatened in order to gain leverage or similar?
Yes, a sitting Emperor can be removed by a vote of the Diadem. Swiftsure was formally removed from office by such a vote, but this was after the conclusion of a civil war in which her side had lost.
Grayhome wrote:Where does Stillstorm figure into all of this? Did she support the previous emperor or was she more of a moderate?
Stillstorm is a member of the Axis, and so is opposed to the expansion of Imperial authority. She was not directly involved in the insurrection, but she opposes a number of Greywind's policies and is offended by the very idea of a Mizol as Emperor. And, as you may imagine, Stillstorm is not afraid to say what she thinks.

Longer answer here.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Speaking of the Diadem, how many is it? and who is/might be expected to be appointed a member? (Or is that spoilerific? :P)
Don't delay, join today!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

If I remember correctly, the Loroi use some kind of antimater fuel, is that stuff stable by itself or does it need some form of containment field (like antimater in Star Trek)? How is that fuel disposed of in case of an emergency or wouldn't that make any sense/difference?
How small or unimportant must a ship be, to be commanded by a Soroin/Tenoin Mallas? A scout or a courier corvette maybe?
And something a little odd: does the other Listel Tozet on the bridge of Tempest (seen for example on page 55, 4. panel) have a name?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Speaking of the Diadem, how many is it? and who is/might be expected to be appointed a member?
It's currently twenty-four. They are department heads, sort of a cross between a cabinet, board of admiralty, and joint chiefs of staff.
Suederwind wrote:If I remember correctly, the Loroi use some kind of antimater fuel, is that stuff stable by itself or does it need some form of containment field (like antimater in Star Trek)? How is that fuel disposed of in case of an emergency or wouldn't that make any sense/difference?
It's called "taimat." It's stable as long as it is kept superfluid, at a very low temperature. In an emergency, the fuel can be vented into space, where it will boil and irregularly decay -- which gives off a lot of energy and radiation -- but which is usually preferable to having it explode inside the ship.
Suederwind wrote:How small or unimportant must a ship be, to be commanded by a Soroin/Tenoin Mallas? A scout or a courier corvette maybe?
In the current war situation, destroyers and smaller will usually have the equivalent of a Mallas in command. In peacetime, with a surplus of personnel, nearly every ship has a Torrai captain.
Suederwind wrote:And something a little odd: does the other Listel Tozet on the bridge of Tempest (seen for example on page 55, 4. panel) have a name?
Antimony.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

It's called "taimat." It's stable as long as it is kept superfluid, at a very low temperature. In an emergency, the fuel can be vented into space, where it will boil and irregularly decay -- which gives off a lot of energy and radiation -- but which is usually preferable to having it explode inside the ship.
Ah, sorry. I did recall that its name had some Homeworld connection, but couldn't find it in the insider articles. Sounds like very dangerous and hard to produce stuff, so I quess one would not like to live next to a taimat refinery or even in the same system.
In the current war situation, destroyers and smaller will usually have the equivalent of a Mallas in command. In peacetime, with a surplus of personnel, nearly every ship has a Torrai captain.
How long would it take in the current war situtation for a Loroi to become Mallas?
Antimony.
Okay, I have to admit that I wasn't expecting an answer to this one. :shock: The level of detail and work put into that story amazes me.
However, is it usual that Listel cast members are named after minerals or just a coincidence?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]