Page 108 & 109 Discussion

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Page 108 & 109 Discussion

Post by Krulle »

Arioch wrote:
Krulle wrote:I wonder why Patreons should get their thank-yous on the home page and not on the patreon page....
Not that I mind, but it seems weird to ask Patreons to come to the outsider comic homepage instead of the patreons page.
By "thank-yous" do you mean the page image itself? I can attach the image to the Patreon post, but in either case it's just one click away.
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/index.html wrote:30 November 2015: New page: 108
The Patreon launch has gone very well, and I'd like to thank everyone for their generous support. If you check back here tomorrow, I should have a surprise for you.
Sounded like there would be a thank-you surprise intended for the patreons.
If it's part of the comic, it should indeed go to the outsider website, but the way you formulated your sentence, it sounded like you had a thank you surprise for the patreons.

Anyway, off to read page 109 ("wall of text").

Edited to add: definitely sounds not like the Loroi wish to say that it is not entirely their fault, but she's also eager to point out that the opponent apparently had it all planned anyway.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Siber

Post by Siber »

To me, the operative word in "If you check back here tomorrow, I should have a surprise for you." was "here", which since it was posted on the outsider page rather than the patreon page, led me to assume it would appear where it did.

I just didn't expect it to be a page.A bit of a relatively art lightpage, true, but a page even so. Bravo.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Skaro

Post by Skaro »

Good to see that the comic is picking up again, can't wait to see what happens when they arrive.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

**Nitpick Mode Engage**

"The are therefore determined to eradicate us."

It should read "They are therefore determined to eradicate us."

**Nitpick Mode Disengage**

Otherwise, yes! Another page! Truly the end times have come!

It's actually a bit surprising that Tempo would admit that the Loroi fired first, albeit while being pushed into it by the Umiak. The lack of survivors from the battle certainly muddies the waters, and while she does characterise the war as a primarily defensive one, there's no way in hell it would stay that way if the Loroi were to get the advantage over the Umiak.

Not that that's a problem for anyone here. Unless there are those out there that have decided to waifu Kikitik-27. :P
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

There.

To all you nay-sayers out there! :)

The "evil spying assassin of a geneocidal race", has answered with a surprisingly, to some that is, candid and honest answer to the burning question about the supposed Loroi aggression against any and all races that come within their Farseer 'sights'!

My position of supporting that the Loroi are NOT a 'viciously savage, and expansionist race bent on galactic conquest' ... is now somewhat more justified. Tempo never said they were not entirely without blame... but that whatever happened.. it was clear the Umiak were planning to attack long before the alleged incident that they responded to with total warfront invasion! Not the actions of an aggrieved innocent political party in the least!!!

...She's so pretty with her dark long hair and violent eyes! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

From henceforth one of the members of the Holy Trinity shall also be know as the divine calculator, able to give an immediate answer to any numerical problem.

So says the prophet of the united and undivided Holy Trinity.

Argron

Post by Argron »

2 pages? is it christmas yet?
Awesome pages, I like how Tempo offers a rather objective and dispassionate point of view regarding the war, considering how fucked up the umiak attack was. If they had done that to humanity our representative would be foaming at the mouth lol

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Razor One wrote:**Nitpick Mode Engage**

"The are therefore determined to eradicate us."

It should read "They are therefore determined to eradicate us."

**Nitpick Mode Disengage**
That was actually caught and fixed (along with a few other errors) last night shortly after the page was posted. Do a hard browser refresh to see the current image version.

Eluvatar

Post by Eluvatar »

Razor One wrote:It's actually a bit surprising that Tempo would admit that the Loroi fired first, albeit while being pushed into it by the Umiak. The lack of survivors from the battle certainly muddies the waters, and while she does characterise the war as a primarily defensive one, there's no way in hell it would stay that way if the Loroi were to get the advantage over the Umiak.

Not that that's a problem for anyone here. Unless there are those out there that have decided to waifu Kikitik-27. :P
// Challenge accepted :twisted:

The blasé attitude toward xenocide is as disappointing as it is unsurprising given the asymmetry of information available. Were Kikitik-27-Tikhak-Tikkukit and his comrades to have equal access and a likewise sympathetic visage, perhaps you would understand the unfortunate Soia-liron inheritance of the Loroi and their allies which requires restraining in order to allow the original intelligences of our space the freedom to serve the common good. The engineered Loroi have had the first shot at your opinions, unfortunately. I would wish that you had the understanding the Umiak earned with blood and tears of the vicious domineering nature of the ancient sky masters and their manufactured slaves, but I could not wish such trauma on any people.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

1827 is decimal, right?
Don't delay, join today!

Siber

Post by Siber »

sunphoenix wrote:The "evil spying assassin of a geneocidal race", has answered with a surprisingly, to some that is, candid and honest answer to the burning question about the supposed Loroi aggression against any and all races that come within their Farseer 'sights'!
Well, she may be a diplomat, spy, and political officer, but she's also from an exceptionally honest culture. That, and the events of that time are probably a matter of public record in the different union worlds from any number of points of view, and there's no telling what sources of information Alex or other representatives of humanity might come across. Better to admit the facts now and put the best possible spin on it than say "It was them, they definitely shot first, we know for sure!" and have that lie discovered later.

All this proves for sure is that if the Loroi are villainous, they're not stupid about it.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Carl Miller wrote:1827 is decimal, right?
With the 8 there its pretty obvious that it is decimal unless Arioch forgot that the 8 is the Union's 10 :P

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

It can still be base 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, etc...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Considering that the spoken text is translated into english for the viewers, it seems reasonable to assume that the spoken numbers are translated as well.

Eluvatar

Post by Eluvatar »

I think translating "eiren nestas geit dinos geit mizii eiren" (?) as 1827 for the reader rather than as EGGE or 03443 is fine.

Edit: I do wonder what years that's in. Deinar's?
Last edited by Eluvatar on Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:1827 is decimal, right?
Yes, numbers as well as language in speech bubbles are translated for the reader. I'm not going to make readers parse octal.

The Standard Year of Unification is counted in standard years (based on the Perrein year, 0.7033 Earth years) since the Deinar scouts first arrived at Perrein in 850 CE.

Eluvatar

Post by Eluvatar »

For anyone who doesn't want to do maths, that's 1284.9 earth years -- from 850 CE to 2135 CE, which is indeed 25 years before 2160 CE. <_<

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

She has little reason to lie to him about the circumstances, especially since he's revealed that they've had part of the Umiak picture of what happened from the Orgus.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

sunphoenix wrote: ...She's so pretty with her dark long hair and violent eyes! :)

I think you mean violet eyes. I doubt her eyes can beat someone up. :D

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

sunphoenix wrote:There.

To all you nay-sayers out there! :)

The "evil spying assassin of a geneocidal race", has answered with a surprisingly, to some that is, candid and honest answer to the burning question about the supposed Loroi aggression against any and all races that come within their Farseer 'sights'!

My position of supporting that the Loroi are NOT a 'viciously savage, and expansionist race bent on galactic conquest' ... is now somewhat more justified. Tempo never said they were not entirely without blame... but that whatever happened.. it was clear the Umiak were planning to attack long before the alleged incident that they responded to with total warfront invasion! Not the actions of an aggrieved innocent political party in the least!!!

...She's so pretty with her dark long hair and violent eyes! :)

Interesting although its time for this as well, god help humaniti we have 30 ships all of them are outdated, out gunned, and we won't last a day at best. In all doom and foreboding doom has never been more sexy.