Page 108 & 109 Discussion

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: Page 108 & 109 Discussion

Post by sunphoenix »

Zakharra wrote:
sunphoenix wrote: ...She's so pretty with her dark long hair and violent eyes! :)

I think you mean violet eyes. I doubt her eyes can beat someone up. :D
{Snicker}.. it seems my auto-word completion strikes again.. wish I knew how to turn that off. :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:1827 is decimal, right?
The Standard Year of Unification is counted in standard years (based on the Perrein year, 0.7033 Earth years) since the Deinar scouts first arrived at Perrein in 850 CE.
Ah? Would have thought the 'standard' would've been derived from Deinar's year, since its the most powerful member of the early Loroi confederation.

Eluvatar

Post by Eluvatar »

GeoModder wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:1827 is decimal, right?
The Standard Year of Unification is counted in standard years (based on the Perrein year, 0.7033 Earth years) since the Deinar scouts first arrived at Perrein in 850 CE.
Ah? Would have thought the 'standard' would've been derived from Deinar's year, since its the most powerful member of the early Loroi confederation.
Perhaps even the Loroi understand the concept of compromise :)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The official calendar would be an easy concession, because each planet mostly uses its own calendar anyway. I think there's a limited degree to which a multi-planet civilization can really standardize on the same calendar, especially when each planet has its own long history.

But notice that in this case the speaker is from Perrein. :D

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:standard years (based on the Perrein year, 0.7033 Earth years)
How long is a standard/Perreiner day? and what does the standard/Perreiner calendar look like?
Don't delay, join today!

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Zakharra wrote:
sunphoenix wrote: ...She's so pretty with her dark long hair and violent eyes! :)

No, they give burns.
Supporter of forum RPG

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

bunnyboy wrote:
Zakharra wrote:

No, they give burns.

Sultry burns! Honestly though, Arioch, you have done excellent work on Tempo. she talks more with her eyes than most people do with their mouths and body language.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:
Arioch wrote:standard years (based on the Perrein year, 0.7033 Earth years)
How long is a standard/Perreiner day? and what does the standard/Perreiner calendar look like?
As mentioned in the Loroi Q&A thread, the standard day is 26.09 Earth hours. Perrein doesn't have any moons or seasons, so the official calendar is very straightforward, listing the year and number of days since the start of the year.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Not even administratively? I, at least, think it would make sense to divide Perrein's year into 29 eight-tibos "weeks" (and four or five more days). *shrug*
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:But notice that in this case the speaker is from Perrein. :D
Totally overlooked that. :lol:

Now, I wonder if, in case she 'graduated' there, Beryl would make cheeky additions with Mezan's year.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Not even administratively? I, at least, think it would make sense to divide Perrein's year into 29 eight-tibos "weeks" (and four or five more days). *shrug*
Any planet with a significant population/culture will use its own calendar. Shipboard crews live on a schedule that has nothing to do with any calendar. The "standard" calendar is mainly a point of reference, for which weeks and months are irrelevant.
GeoModder wrote:Now, I wonder if, in case she 'graduated' there, Beryl would make cheeky additions with Mezan's year.
Nah, Beryl is not nostalgic in any way about her time on Mezan.

Eluvatar

Post by Eluvatar »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Now, I wonder if, in case she 'graduated' there, Beryl would make cheeky additions with Mezan's year.
That sounds... potentially sad. :|

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Eluvatar wrote:
Arioch wrote:
That sounds... potentially sad. :|
Or she might just have hated the climate there. ;)

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Perhaps Beryl is one of those revolutionary, out of the box thinkers that is interested in aliens and alien technology, much to the chagrin of her proper instructors who could never quite get it through to her that Soia era technology is the only worthwhile area of study. Or something like that. ;)

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Perhaps Beryl is one of those revolutionary, out of the box thinkers that is interested in aliens and alien technology, much to the chagrin of her proper instructors who could never quite get it through to her that Soia era technology is the only worthwhile area of study. Or something like that. ;)
Well if the site has anything to say about our tech then she must be like that chick who like 8 track and cassette players in cars from the 1980s not that its a bad thing.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Arioch wrote:Any planet with a significant population/culture will use its own calendar. Shipboard crews live on a schedule that has nothing to do with any calendar. The "standard" calendar is mainly a point of reference, for which weeks and months are irrelevant.
Any sufficiently large culture will retain its own calendar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calenda ... ars_in_use
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Well, so far we're only seeing things from a Loroi perspective. Of COURSE they'll make themselves sound the better, more sensible party. The Umiak would do the same.

To make a truly sound judgement, Alex would need to see both sides.

Argron

Post by Argron »

Jeremy wrote:Well, so far we're only seeing things from a Loroi perspective. Of COURSE they'll make themselves sound the better, more sensible party. The Umiak would do the same.

To make a truly sound judgement, Alex would need to see both sides.
Not really, the Orgus gave us the Umiak perspective and it sucks donkey balls.

joestej

Post by joestej »

Argron wrote:Not really, the Orgus gave us the Umiak perspective and it sucks donkey balls.
The handful of Orgus that escaped aren't exactly the most unbiased of sources either though. Remember that neither the Umiak nor Loroi tolerate neutrality, and if the Orgus had ticked off the Loroi they wouldn't have been enslaved, they'd be smoking ash. From a certain point of view the Bugs are the merciful ones, since at least they let their defeated enemies live. At the very least we can assume the Loroi wouldn't have hesitated to invade a neutral faction if it would give them an advantage, just like the Umiak.

Not that this makes them good people or anything, since apparently 'allying' with them basically means surrendering and letting them take over. Client species aren't exactly treated well. This isn't as bad as it seems when you consider how they treat their own citizens though. EVERYONE is expendable and downtrodden, including their own people. From the Umiak's perspective, they likely think they're treating their Clients just fine.

Alex sums up the difference between the two pretty well on Page 93. It doesn't answer the original question ("Why exactly do the Umiak think the war started?"), but we still don't have an unbiased answer on the Loroi perspective either. Our current explanation has come from a member of the Loroi Secret Police. Big Sister is watching you...
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I'm not sure where you get the idea that losing the Loroi means destruction joe. It's true that they have genocided twice that we know of, but I don't think we're privy to the Umiak's history in that regard and in both cases there was obvious reasons for it to happen (Long-term antagonism and simple survival). I have no doubt that if your existence poses a threat to the survival of the Loroi species then they will destroy you, but that's kind of the way species get to the top of the food chain so it's hardly surprising. If we declined to join them willingly they would likely just send a destroyer and troop transport, wipe out all our armed ships and say "Look at me. I'm the captain now." On the other hand if we agreed to ally with the Umiak they would likely go out off their way to destroy us, but that's simply because of the lotai.