Page 110!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: Page 110!

Post by fredgiblet »

raistlin34 wrote:I know the scene is mean to be cute, but Beryl allowing herself to fall asleep in front of her superior and her charge/ambassador?! That´s Star Trek level of incompetence, not to mention disrespect. Imagine the consequences in any real life Army for such behaviour.
Thing is we don't know how long she's been AWAKE. This could be at the end of a very long shift for her.

Also I'm not certain that Beryl is actually beneath Tempo directly in the chain of command.
Razor One wrote:On a very long shuttle ride with not a whole lot to do. I don't have the foggiest about military protocol and discipline, but I figure that even the hardest of superiors will let the soldiers under their command to relax instead of forcing them to maintain perfect discipline for a very long trip and reserve the perfect behaviour for when it matters most.
Agreed. But. On the other hand this is a long trip and Beryl will likely have time to sleep later, at the moment she should be awake and recording the conversation so it can be data-mined later.
JQBogus wrote:For all we know, Tempo may have dismissed Beryl via sanzai.
Now there's an interesting idea. Tempo says "Go to sleep" then has an "off the record" conversation with Alex...
NuclearIceCream wrote:NJP?
Non-judicial punishment, basically it's "You fucked up, but we're gonna make you clean the latrine for a month straight instead of convening a court-martial."

kclcmdr

Post by kclcmdr »

At least we know that the Loroi can snore themselves to sleep like humans.... :oops:

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I find this particular situation unlikely, but then, in military you slep when you can, and they just entered a system on full alert, had a few fights, salvaged an alien ship, found an alien, had a few conversations,...
And Beryl, as chief recording officer of the intelligence department had to remain awake all the time.
An impressive feat, so it is well possible hat she falls asleep when it becomes unlikely that she has to record something in the upcoming conversation.

Thank you for the new page, Arioch.
Thank you for the fun, Razor One.

Best wishes to all for the new year 2016!
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

fredgiblet wrote:Krulle. That was days ago.

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider098.html
Beryl is also on Stillstorm's shit list which means that pulling some double shifts is the least painful thing that she went through the past few days.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Busy times for the librarian, archiving everything, indexing, trying to get into the alien's computer system, learning everything from that, delivering results, still the need to learn the alien's language. Pressure from all sides.

Plus, we simply do not know the Loroi's natural sleep/awake cycle. The insider tells us a bit about their sister planets length of days, but not if Loroi are cepuscular and otherwise sleeping, or if their awake/asleep cycle is similar to ours...

Plus, I assume intensive use of telepathy is still tiring for the brain.
And she likely did, just to check with some engineers how much time he swings of a caesium isotope is in their time, and convert the data back and forth. I know i would not ge able to do it like sshe apparenly did on page 109 just in my head...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

halftea

Post by halftea »

Well, based on my personal military experience, once you move into a purely 'passenger' mode, it is pretty common to fall asleep. So I can identify with Beryl.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

dragoongfa wrote:

Beryl is also on Stillstorm's shit list which means that pulling some double shifts is the least painful thing that she went through the past few days.

What? did I miss something on the strips? I didn´t notice any particular grudge from Stillstorm toward Beryl, asside from the ususal disdain toward the other castes.

kclcmdr

Post by kclcmdr »

raistlin34 wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:

What? did I miss something on the strips? I didn´t notice any particular grudge from Stillstorm toward Beryl, asside from the ususal disdain toward the other castes.
In PIC 104, Beryl had mentioned that the Commander sometimes gets ... TIRED ... of looking at some of her officers and that it is often beneficial to get out of her sight...
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider104.html

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

@dragoon, Razor

You guys reaffirm my faith in humanity. My first thought was "Does Alex have a marker?" He could introduce the Loroi to one of humanity's finest artistic traditions!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Does Alex have a marker? I think the answer is: yes!

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Does Alex have a marker? I think the answer is: yes!
That's red and that color is on the low end of the list of priorities when seeing such an opportunity.

http://www.smosh.com/PC/smosh-pit/photo ... rker-faces

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

JQBogus wrote:Loroi ideas about military decorum may well be different than human ideas.

For all we know, Tempo may have dismissed Beryl via sanzai.
Tempo ""your dimissed
Beryl "" alright entering sleep mode in 3...2...1.
Beryl: zzzzzzzZZZZZ

wrwallaceii

Post by wrwallaceii »

I don't recall if the Loroi wake/sleep cycle or day length has been mentioned in this work...
So I'm thinking that they, as a race or species may not require as frequent rest-sleep periods than earth borne races. We(humans) are tied to the solar year and 24 hr. light/darkness periods. We are assuming that because The Loroi are very similar in appearance to humanity they have similar habits and evolution... Their skin tone though, would leave one to think that their blood fluid may not be based on hemoglobin but on another evolutionary development that performs a similar function. Perhaps, since about a week has passed for Alex (Captain Jarden) with all of his sleep cycles. The Loroi could have been awake the whole period he was in containment. Or, they possibly have a biological procedure to keep them active longer. I note that the shuttle has no bunks apparent in the main compartment too.
Maybe Beryl just reached the end of her wake cycle and has checked out until her system recharges.
These are just some late night musings.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

wrwallaceii wrote:I don't recall if the Loroi wake/sleep cycle or day length has been mentioned in this work...
So I'm thinking that they, as a race or species may not require as frequent rest-sleep periods than earth borne races. We(humans) are tied to the solar year and 24 hr. light/darkness periods. We are assuming that because The Loroi are very similar in appearance to humanity they have similar habits and evolution... Their skin tone though, would leave one to think that their blood fluid may not be based on hemoglobin but on another evolutionary development that performs a similar function. Perhaps, since about a week has passed for Alex (Captain Jarden) with all of his sleep cycles. The Loroi could have been awake the whole period he was in containment. Or, they possibly have a biological procedure to keep them active longer. I note that the shuttle has no bunks apparent in the main compartment too.
Maybe Beryl just reached the end of her wake cycle and has checked out until her system recharges.
These are just some late night musings.
I don't recall if Arioch mentioned how long the Loroi wake/sleep cycle is, but I believe that he mentioned that it averages out to less sleep for them.

Not that the exact length necessarily matters, since the Human cycle can probably fluctuate around by a few hours either way without much trouble.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

The Loroi sleep cycle? I'd like to think it depends on the planet they're living. ;)

Pernicious

Post by Pernicious »

its clear she's quizzing alex on lots of information on measurements on page 107. Its possible Loroi catalogue and process information during their sleep cycle.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Pernicious wrote:Its possible Loroi catalogue and process information during their sleep cycle.
Humans certainly do, though the eidetic memory might somehow play a part too.

NeoDarklight

Post by NeoDarklight »

Judging from a storytelling POV, Beryl falling asleep there may "humanize" herself to Alex, allowing a more open and honest relationship between them. Looking back, Alex has actually been on his guard around everyone he's met since the destruction of the Bellarmine. Beryl is the closest to getting him to open up, but she's still got quite a ways to go. Also, is it me, or has Beryl had a more, shall we say, "personal" interest in Alex than would be expected of someone of her caste? She certainly seems interested in him, perhaps a bit more than her job would normally call for.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I definitely get the feeling that Beryl is interested in Alex at least from the perspective of thinking first contact with a new species is amazingly cool and interesting, a perspective that I don't think is shared by some of her peers.

Then again, perhaps anyloroi who feels like they are something of an outsider compared to how a loroi is supposed to think and behave, might be able to establish some common ground with Alex. (Maybe Fireblade even.)