WIILITF, or WHAT IS IT LIKE IN THE FUTURE

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Chad.Hale

WIILITF, or WHAT IS IT LIKE IN THE FUTURE

Post by Chad.Hale »

I will be starting new threads focusing on possible technology in the outsider universe. These are absolutely open to discussion, debate, and denial. I will begin each topic with "WIILITF: __topic__".

I will try to keep topics narrow and specific to a singular aspect of future technology and we can try to envision the impacts (Social, cultural, and more) from there. topics will pertain to the universe of Outsider where possible, just keep in mind that Arioch is the final authority on all things OUTSIDER.

For this beginning thread of WIILITF, this thread is devoted to the ORGUS encounter.

Chad.Hale

Re: WIILITF, or WHAT IS IT LIKE IN THE FUTURE

Post by Chad.Hale »

as humanity learns of the encounter and adopts the orgus refugees; What would you think about them and the reality of alien life.

1. philosophy - Meaning: there is intelligent and civilized life elsewhere in the universe. Humanity just became much less significant and much more vulnerable. Enemies within and beyond.

2. Religion - "Where are the prophecies on this?" The announcement of the orgus aliens and some of what they had to say to JohnQ.Public would only be a revelation that religion was wrong. Religion was only a method to control the masses, tricking everyone into believing that there was a moral code aside from scientific laws, and an effort to protect the population from disease. I think this would cause a massive explosion of atheism.

Would there still be faithful who would seek to re-interpret the bible to include aliens? oh, absolutely. Some people need to believe in god. I am one of them. I just would have a really hard time telling an orgus that there is an afterlife where we all will be judged for our deeds... and that the only way to be saved from punishment for even "Small sins" is by believing a man who died over 2,000 years ago is the son of god. while I wouldn't waste my breath trying to convince an orgus to join the faith, I would still cling to mine.

3. Opportunity - what can I do with my life? in light of the orgus arrival and the secrets of their technology and science what could I capitalize on? fuel cells? some facet of science that the orgus knew of and that we did not? I would absolutely pry to learn as much as I can.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

1. Philosophy: I certainly agree with that, all sides so far seem to be composed of mustache twirling Saturday morning cartoon villains of unspeakable eeeeevil.
2. Religion: Nah man, it'll keep on truckin' right along. Religion has always proven resilient to new evidence which disproves it.
3. Opportunity: I wouldn't hold your breath on that account, The Orgus boat that fled into Terran space was a refugee vessel and not a very advanced one at that. It looks like humans got antimatter engines, inertial stabilizers and a map of Orgus territory. The Terrans have little to no information on either the Loroi or the Umiak. Useful to be sure, but no where near game breaking.

If your interested in learning more, check out Master of Orion 1 + 2 as well as the GURPS core rule books: Ultratech, Psionics, Psi-Tech, and Biotech. They explain much of what you are seeing, from race types to ship designs to hairstyles. I give Arioch full credit for introducing me to all of them, awesome stuff! I highly recommend them.

GURPS does an excellent job researching future technologies and explaining them and their sources are well worth reading up on . I've been making little lists of genetic, surgical and cybernetic mods, as well as technologies that would be available to each of the races, it's a fun way to waste time.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

WHAT IS IT LIKE IN THE FUTURE

:D
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Researchers are frequently saying that the discovery of alien life will change human philosophy, but I just don't see that it will. Anyone who understands even a bit of the staggering scale of the universe already knows that human life is insignificant and transitory on the grand scale. Those who don't understand this or won't believe it aren't going to have their minds changed by being told that life exists outside Earth. Surely everyone here knows that life must exist throughout the universe, and so intelligent alien civilizations must also exist, even if they may not be common and we may never have a chance to meet them. It would be a pleasant day when that was finally proved true, but nobody should be surprised by it.

Also, primitive alien life had already been discovered on the human colony worlds long before we met the Orgus. The moment that humanity discovered jump drive worked, they knew it must be only a matter of time (though perhaps a great deal of time) before they eventually met an alien civilization.

Religion has shown itself to be mostly impervious to scientific evidence against it, and it has failed to predict most elements of modern life, so I don't see the appearance of aliens as a major threat to it. I don't of anything in any religious texts that specifically denies or precludes the existence of aliens, so I imagine that most religious traditions will either incorporate them (as angels, devils, or simply fellow believers) or simply ignore their existence (the way that religions ignore most of science and fact).

Chad.Hale

Post by Chad.Hale »

Grayhome wrote: I've been making little lists of genetic, surgical and cybernetic mods, as well as technologies that would be available to each of the races, it's a fun way to waste time.
Feel free to make your own WIILITF thread with that info. I too have been keeping up with the idea of china's planned parental Screening before conception, or even assisted conception. The goal is to make a healthier populace and one with advantages changing the game for that nation. I have also kept up with the reported discoveries of "Gene for"X,y.z, and such:
Actn = speed upgrade
Lrp5 = Dense bones upgrade, but penalty to swimming.
Nco1r = X5 muscle development, with a charisma penalty.
Pepk-ck = Extreme endurance, 4x muscle fiber length and density... (*Would look normal, but much stronger and faster*)
Keratin replacement with spider silk genes = Bullet proof tissues (tendons, ligaments, skin, nails, hair)...
the Lean Muscle growth genes = +50% lean muscle growth = being stronger, quicker, extended youth span, higher sex drive,
and well, no obesity.
add in some 500 or so intelligence contributing genes...
(*once all the beneficial enhancements are sorted out and the negatives removed: the effect for society might be like all of your players being told to make a 75 point character with 40 points max for attributes, and then getting a free +10 on almost every attribute afterward.*)

I played Gurps/champions once way back in 1992...

Chad.Hale

Post by Chad.Hale »

The supposed alien panic... :shock: :? :o :o !!!!!
the idea is that if a U.F.O. landed today, the whole world in real life would FREAK-OUT, and PANIC, and society would just COLLAPSE...

As Arioch mentioned, in the outsider universe the discovery of lifeforms elsewhere was mind opening, but not world shaking.
but for the real world, I also don't believe in a "PANIC"...

...I do believe in:
sensationalist media trying to make something of it all,
and the assorted nutcases,
and the opportunists who would go looting...