Page 112

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: Page 112

Post by GeoModder »

Carl Miller wrote: ..., and what did they do to the poor schlub who painted it backwards?
The poor Golim was barred for life from the presence of Loroi.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:More to the point, why is it loroi-only, and what did they do to the poor schlub who painted it backwards?
That poor schlub would be me, and luckily I'm beyond the reach of Loroi discipline.

Sometimes when I'm creating textures, they're too small to be seen in the context in which they're used, and so I don't put a lot of thought into the text that goes on them. Then, months later, I reuse a texture and it ends up being readable. It happens.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I meant the in-universe poor schlub. :P

Also:
Why is final -i elided in compound words? and what exactly is the environment in which that elision occurs?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

"lorodezon" is not a real word, so I don't know what you tell you.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Carl Miller wrote:I meant the in-universe poor schlub. :P
Maybe something like this? ;)
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote: It actually reads nozedorol (trade being read from right to left), which isn't a word in the lexicon. It may simply be gibberish, or I may have meant lorodezon (which I guess would be "Loroi only") and forgot to reverse the letters.
Thank you for clarification. It makes sense now.
Outsider in Russian

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

SVlad wrote:
Arioch wrote: It actually reads nozedorol (trade being read from right to left), which isn't a word in the lexicon. It may simply be gibberish, or I may have meant lorodezon (which I guess would be "Loroi only") and forgot to reverse the letters.
Thank you for clarification. It makes sense now.
Maybe not even the loroi are immune from misspelling from time to time. A misspelt is sign is up, people see, it and smile and giggles at the funny sign spreading a warm fuzzy feeling through the zansai to their surroundings. ;)

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Huh? No no. This is a military ship. That makes it an acronym. I guarantee it.

discord

Post by discord »

nemo: that is mostly US military, the americans do love their acronyms

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Tempo may also be feinging sleep to monitor the two we just shiped in the cockpit.

Beryle I doubt could be subtle to save her life, but Tempo has had the look, stance, and attitude of a woman of power, who earned that rank, and uses everything she has to perform everything to her best. Add the fact appearance wise this would be a 10 out of 10 stunner by human standards, Jardin probably haveing some discomfort.

If this means going full fem fetal with her sexuality, or getting a young pilot that to "distract" pinky, why not?

Of course, then again, we could find out he's gay so...even more awkward.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Now that I think about it, Tempo may be sending a message to a Farseer. Due to broadcast strength, Farseers mostly get used for reception, and Mizol for send (because Mizol can "tune" to specific listeners).

thicket

Post by thicket »

interesting idea. I thought that range was limited and that's why they use trade speak in battle?

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Signal strength seems to be the limiting factor, not range. Which is where the Farseers come in: they are more powerful telepaths in all ways, and thus can sense/hear/etc. from a farther range (hence "Farseer"), in addition to broadcasting over a further range.

And the reason for Trade in battle is that telepathy use weakens their resistance to telepathic attacks (and possibly tactical issues as well).

thicket

Post by thicket »

or maybe Tempo IS a Farseer?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Actually its both range and signal strength, Loroi cannot 'send' to someone they are not in range to detect while the amplified sendings of farseers are too strong to be used at will.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

thicket wrote:or maybe Tempo IS a Farseer?
Tempo isn't Farseer because Loroi F. isolated from in special-caste and IIRC aren't military caste also.

By the way, an interesting thought: if the detection range for active psionic send much wider of detection range of a reasonable, then F., trained to detect any Umiak are able to detect an active psionic talker at times more distance.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Tamri wrote:
thicket wrote:or maybe Tempo IS a Farseer?
Tempo isn't Farseer because Loroi F. isolated from in special-caste and IIRC aren't military caste also.

By the way, an interesting thought: if the detection range for active psionic send much wider of detection range of a reasonable, then F., trained to detect any Umiak are able to detect an active psionic talker at times more distance.
Unless the active telepath is 'hidden' by being in the midst of several millions or billions of aliens is my wager.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

dragoongfa wrote: Unless the active telepath is 'hidden' by being in the midst of several millions or billions of aliens is my wager.
Only in the event that the environment will be at least half as well viewed. Because otherwise psionicist relatively inert (with respect to psycho-background) encirclement will stand out for a distant observer as a boil on his ass. Especially when compared using the ratio of the average Loroi in a passive mode feels reasonable for a dozen meters, and actively "sounding" tribeswoman - hundreds.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Tamri wrote:
dragoongfa wrote: Unless the active telepath is 'hidden' by being in the midst of several millions or billions of aliens is my wager.
Only in the event that the environment will be at least half as well viewed. Because otherwise psionicist relatively inert (with respect to psycho-background) encirclement will stand out for a distant observer as a boil on his ass. Especially when compared using the ratio of the average Loroi in a passive mode feels reasonable for a dozen meters, and actively "sounding" tribeswoman - hundreds.
The numbers should work inversely though, 1 active telepath being amidst millions or billions of others shouldn't stand out like a beacon.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

dragoongfa wrote: The numbers should work inversely though, 1 active telepath being amidst millions or billions of others shouldn't stand out like a beacon.
Psionic can "get lost in the crowd" only at a distance, where the "crowd" can be seen - and then farther, the more reasonable become noise, and then completely disappear from sight. Well, kind of like if a kilometer to look at the searchlight surrounded by a multitude of candles. Candles will distort the image of searchlight. But with ten kilometers have candles will be lost on the background of the searchlight.