Updates? 113+?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Murph

Updates? 113+?

Post by Murph »

What can we as a group do to assist the author/artist in getting out the next installments?

dragoongfa

Re: Updates? 113+?

Post by dragoongfa »

Donating to his Patreon is the best bet, especially if he reaches the 600$ threshold

After that people can nag to him a lot.

He also is at the finishing stages of the game he is developing, they just got a publisher and they are in the last crunch for a Q3/Q4 2016 release.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

It would be nice to get at least a little update about the status of the next pages, especially as a Patreon supporter (no offense!)
I know its not always easy to keep a deadline and sometimes other stuff just keeps getting in the way (see my fanfic for example and yes, next part is on the way), so I can understand, if stuff takes longer to complete.

A humble suggestion: I noticed that old creators diary on the insider, maybe you can update it from time to time about whats going on?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

I'm a recent Patreon supporter and I created a forum account just to say, while it would be nice to have some sort of a 'progress bar', I don't really care how long it takes since it's on a per page basis not a monthly basis like some Patreons.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

I've been following this for a couple years, and the this is basicly Aurioch's baby BUT its really not his primary source of income nor can he devote as much time as he would like to it.

I feel the same irritation as it feels like we have to wait betweena college semester and the time the full 9 months it takes to have most babies.

Yet I also feel his needs as he needs to pay the electric bill to do his livelihood and this comic, and he has to eat.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

He also has the prior commitment of the game that dragoongfa mentioned, and might have more that we don't know about. Though maybe a vague and generic (this isn't the first project he's worked on, after all) "creators diary" on the struggle of adapting initial ideas to final conception would be good.

Oh, I know! A generic chastisement on the confusion between customer-perceived value and creator-experienced cost! (mostly not joking, the game-studio game were you start losing money from pirates if you pirated the game was an awesome idea)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I have about half a dozen individual clients in addition to Stars in Shadow and Outsider. That's no excuse for not getting things done, but I'm still new to freelancing and managing my own time effectively. Working from home sounds great, but there's something to be said for dedicated office work time.

Thanks to the Patreon supporters (thank you!), Outsider pages now compete very favorably with other work in terms of compensation. I just need to get to a place where I'm working ahead of the curve instead of putting out fires.

Thanks for your patience!

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:I have about half a dozen individual clients in addition to Stars in Shadow and Outsider. That's no excuse for not getting things done, but I'm still new to freelancing and managing my own time effectively. Working from home sounds great, but there's something to be said for dedicated office work time.

Thanks to the Patreon supporters (thank you!), Outsider pages now compete very favorably with other work in terms of compensation. I just need to get to a place where I'm working ahead of the curve instead of putting out fires.

Thanks for your patience!
I hope you introduce your other clients to Outsider as well, who know, maybe someone want to publish it as paperback albums. If not anyone can sign up on Patreon. The rest of need to help spread the word as well.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Arioch wrote:Thanks for your patience!
Thank You for giving us a bit feedback about your current situation.
And Thank You for the comic!
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:I have about half a dozen individual clients in addition to Stars in Shadow and Outsider. That's no excuse for not getting things done, but I'm still new to freelancing and managing my own time effectively. Working from home sounds great, but there's something to be said for dedicated office work time.
yeah i remember those "study" i had to do home... i swear you spend 6 hours to do 1hours of work :S

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:Thanks to the Patreon supporters (thank you!), Outsider pages now compete very favorably with other work in terms of compensation. I just need to get to a place where I'm working ahead of the curve instead of putting out fires.
Heh, as an employee of a contractor, sometimes being asked to work ahead is the fire :p .

Congrats on the volume of employers, and may it continue.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

The problem with working ahead is, that if the remitter/client finds out, he wants you to do some more, and disguises this as a "misunderstanding"...
So you may only present the results as late as possible to be still in time, yet too late for large-scale improvements they might ask for...

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Krulle wrote:The problem with working ahead is, that if the remitter/client finds out, he wants you to do some more, and disguises this as a "misunderstanding"...
So you may only present the results as late as possible to be still in time, yet too late for large-scale improvements they might ask for...
Well-structured contracts actually cover this, X major revisions and Y minor revisions for example (though you have to be careful to restrict what counts as a major or minor revision).

discord

Post by discord »

or simply write the contract as getting something done, the amount of time it takes is irrelevant and when you get the 'well i want you to tweak that' to the remodeling of the house, you can simply state, you ain't paying me for a weeks work, you payed for a job, that job is done and if things went somewhat sideways with delays it would have taken week to get done so instead of delays you got it done ahead of schedule be happy, if you want something else done however that is another job.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Thanks for keeping us up to date about whats going on.
Just don't get overworked and take your (free) time. A burnout is not a nice thing...
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote: Working from home sounds great, but there's something to be said for dedicated office work time.
One of my friends, who works as freelancer, usually doesn't works from home. He prefer to work in public coworking offices.
Outsider in Russian

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:One of my friends, who works as freelancer, usually doesn't works from home. He prefer to work in public coworking offices.
My friend Sven (who's the programmer on Stars in Shadow) was doing that for a while. I can't afford anything like that at present, and I doubt it would help anyway... it's not like I have kids or something at home that I need to get away from.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I, personally, work better from home, but... I'd miss the interaction with colleagues. And some things simply go less efficient without face-to-face interaction.
But then, my most productive time starts around 15:30 and goes till 21:00... And when in office I cannot stay that late, so have to start earlier. And I have to pick up the kids, which means leaving the office at 17:00 sharp. Kills my productive time...

I do not have a solution for that, as otherwise the damage happens elsewhere.

thicket

Post by thicket »

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

thicket wrote:[snip - Livin' on Dali time]
Yep, that's about right. Sometimes it's been years.