Outsider Patreon Page

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Outsider Patreon Page

Post by Arioch »

Well, let's see what can be done.

It's a unique opportunity.

D1ff3r3nt

Post by D1ff3r3nt »

Ok, I fixed it.

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Arioch wrote:Well, let's see what can be done.

Then take it and at least for a month threw updates at us as fast as you can. Later you can slow down to perhaps two updates per week. But if you start to bring new content quickly more people will hear that there is this awesome webcomic that is active now and has a great fanbase and all and coem to read it and then some of them also giving you their money. Starting an avalanche. You must actually DO something productive to increase the income flow from Patreon.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

dapple26

Post by dapple26 »

Wow, its there. :D

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

I've actually tried introducing some of my friends to Outsider. They've all been reluctant to read it because I say it's so good, yet it's been going on since 2001 and 112 pages are all there is of it; they don't want to fall in love with something and then go "Okay, so when should I look forward to the next page," and hear "probably April of 2017."

At this point, it's a bit of a catch-22.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

If you think that it is hard to sell Outsider to friends imagine how it is selling it to Channers.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

dragoongfa wrote:If you think that it is hard to sell Outsider to friends imagine how it is selling it to Channers.
About as hard as selling them on the idea that anthro races are okay, I imagine?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

That depends if they have a containment board for that kind of thing :P

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I'm all for getting the updates in gear, but if you throw them at us too fast, some people might balk at the debits to their accounts!

CJSF

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Arioch wrote:Well, let's see what can be done.

The following pretty much sums up EVERYTHING that is wrong with Outsider:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I've actually tried introducing some of my friends to Outsider. They've all been reluctant to read it because I say it's so good, yet it's been going on since 2001 and 112 pages are all there is of it; they don't want to fall in love with something and then go "Okay, so when should I look forward to the next page," and hear "probably April of 2017."

At this point, it's a bit of a catch-22.
@Arioch
PLEASE! YOU MUST START TO THROW OUT NEW UPDATES ASAP!
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Durabys wrote:
Arioch wrote:The $40 was a single pledge. I'd be surprised if it stayed that large for long. Also, most contributors put a monthly cap on their pledges, so only the first page each month earns the full pledged amount, and each subsequent page in the same month earns progressively less.

The pledges come and go and the number rises and falls, but the encouraging thing is that it's still moving in a positive direction, even though I haven't updated recently. I'm very pleased with and grateful for how the Patreon has performed.
Do you think you will ever get to a 'page every two days' speed? :(
I believe that the sets sometimes require more time than that to produce. To put things into perspective, games used to come out after a few months, but now come out after several years: the change was not in the programming (much of the work used to be done in straight assembly, after all), or even in the length and complexity of story (though that has increased, and would have slowed things down: Super Mario was a very simple story), but instead in the greatly increased amount of art assets: the majority of the staff for any modern 3d game is various types of artist.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

A small issue just catch my eye and now I can't unsee it: On Patreon header text cast shadow, but loroi logo (that is dot over i) doesn't. :roll:
Outsider in Russian

dapple26

Post by dapple26 »

Here ya go. I've had a good year, and I really like the pay per post option. Now excuse me as I go back to my lurking.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

My other favorite webcomics, Snow by Night and Star Power just managed to get funded. Hope the same happens to Outsider.

E=M.C^2

Post by E=M.C^2 »

So, where should we move to now ? Patreon changed its fee policy, we patrons will see more of the money goes into the site's pocket and the artist will get less. Where should we go now ? What alternative we have ? :cry:

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I am unable to support Arioch through Patreon or even donate something via Paypal but I still want to suggest to everyone who does support him to hold a 'wait and see' attitude on how things develop.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

We'll have to wait and see how the change works out in actual practice. They're moving from a 5% take plus credit card fees to a straight 2.9% plus $0.35 per pledge. On paper it looks like small pledges are going to get hosed, but in practice it may be that the credit card fees on the small pledges are taking that much anyway.

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Is there a way to collect pledges at the end of the month or something so you will get charged the fee once rather than x number of times?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Arioch still has his one-time sponsor thing on his page. You cam just use that to cut Patreon out...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Diodri wrote:Is there a way to collect pledges at the end of the month or something so you will get charged the fee once rather than x number of times?
Pledges are always collected in aggregate at the beginning of each month (which minimizes the credit card charges).

I think people are jumping the gun in panicking about this change. Let's see how it pans out. Encouraging people to withhold their pledges hurts the creators more than it hurts Patreon.
Krulle wrote:Arioch still has his one-time sponsor thing on his page. You cam just use that to cut Patreon out...
That's through PayPal, which takes essentially the same $0.33 cut of $1 donations that Patreon is talking about taking. So let's not jump to conclusions.