Master of Orion

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Dirty Yasuki

Re: Master of Orion

Post by Dirty Yasuki »

4-hour let's play of the Alpha version of the game.

elorran

Post by elorran »

I was going to pick up the early release until a friend "lost" his empire to a game bug (or the AI has an empire eating super weapon). Maybe I'll fall prey to wanting it again over the weekend, but for now I'll wait a bit longer for some updates to fix things. I still have a sour taste in my mouth after pre-ordering SoTS2 and it sucking badly a few years ago.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I have read some reviews on steam that were less than favorable. Are there really starlanes and no turn based combat now? :shock:
Anyway, I am wayting for anproper review till I dump money in it.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

elorran wrote:I was going to pick up the early release until a friend "lost" his empire to a game bug (or the AI has an empire eating super weapon). Maybe I'll fall prey to wanting it again over the weekend, but for now I'll wait a bit longer for some updates to fix things. I still have a sour taste in my mouth after pre-ordering SoTS2 and it sucking badly a few years ago.

well SoTS2 was the final product.

basically what they do with MoO is having us pay to be beta tester :)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

That's a problem I find appearing everywhere: they want you to pay in advance for a not-finished product, so you do not know what you paid for, nor when it will be delivered, if at all...

Marketing hypes makes money.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Siber

Post by Siber »

Suederwind wrote:I have read some reviews on steam that were less than favorable. Are there really starlanes and no turn based combat now?.
That is accurate. Not a game-killer for me, and in the case of real time probably preferred. In my time playing MoO2, large battles became a huge chore
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

They have announced a DLC that includes some new races.

Gnolam

Trilarians

Antarans....

...and Elerians

Siber

Post by Siber »

That post reminded me that it's now out of EA and I should give it another spin, so I did this morning.

I now appreciate Stellaris a bit more than I did yesterday.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

MoO2 Elerians looks much better in my opinion. This art resembles syreen from the Star Control 3 in some way.
Outsider in Russian

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:MoO2 Elerians looks much better in my opinion. This art resembles syreen from the Star Control 3 in some way.
Yeah, I noticed that when they were making MOO3 as well; the artists seem to want to remember the Elerians being scantily clad like the Syreen, which they never were.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm a little bit astonished by the materials used, or perhaps the one single material that appears to be used. To my knowledge, the new Master of Orion was made by a reasonably big studio. It's kind of strange that the outfits, props, and the skin textures all look like they're made from the same glossy material.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

I'm a little bit astonished by the materials used, or perhaps the one single material that appears to be used. To my knowledge, the new Master of Orion was made by a reasonably big studio. It's kind of strange that the outfits, props, and the skin textures all look like they're made from the same glossy material.
Maybe it's not the same material, maybe high-gloss lacquer made from a finite resource is just in fashion in a head-blowingly big way, and the wars raging across the galaxy are being waged for control of the lacquer?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Well, I think it's a common "failing" (if I may use such a word) of 3D artists to want to make everything shiny.

Actually, the failing is not limited to 3D artists.

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

I can't honestly say MoO3 is a bad game... but new design is just a cringefest for me.
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote:
SVlad wrote:MoO2 Elerians looks much better in my opinion. This art resembles syreen from the Star Control 3 in some way.
Yeah, I noticed that when they were making MOO3 as well; the artists seem to want to remember the Elerians being scantily clad like the Syreen, which they never were.
Actually, I'm not about their clothes. I'm about they are (IMHO) unpretty.
SC2 have a nice cartoonish style. In SC3 they've tried to make character 3d and more realistic, but failed into the "uncanny valley".
It looks like the same happens with MoO. The character modeled better, than in SC3, but it would be better to keep characters a bit cartoonishish (if not 2d drawn), and doesn't try to make a realistic 3d.

PS
The Stars in Shadow looks exactly like my mental image of ideal MoO3.
Last edited by SVlad on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outsider in Russian

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

The Wargaming is just a publisher. The actual developers are NGD Studios.
I've briefly scrolled through screenshots of their games and, unfortunately, they really looks not very skilled in the 3d modelling.
Outsider in Russian

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

That Elerian picture looks like it was taken from the SciFi version of a Wagner opera.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
Look at it this way: the Elerians clearly have a better wardrobe budget than the Trilarians or Antarans :P .

Spandex and plastics are the future!~~~ [cue cheesy echo effect]