Hyperspace

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Hyperspace

Post by Arioch »

Mjolnir wrote:Likely not story-relevant at all, but: is there any serious in-universe speculation about stable "layers" or "bands" in hyperspace, with the jumps used by ships being only a shallow entry into a transitional area, or is that as much the realm of crankery and fiction in the Outsider universe as hyperspace is in ours?

It does seem odd for what we consider to be "normal space" to be the only speedbump on the way from the most distant positive hyperspace to the most distant negative hyperspace.
It might be possible; the seeming randomness of jump exits implies that hyperspace has unexpected curvature. But I'm not sure how one would measure or demonstrate this.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Hrm... IF Negative Hyperspace is in fact a finite curvature with a mnogo singularity at the core, that would mean that, in theory, you could take a dive through the realspace plane from hyperspace into Negative Hyperspace, at such an angle that your trajectory is a parabola around the mnogo singularity instead of directly into it, and potentially reach escape velocity again, resurfacing through realspace. Possibly on the underside of realspace.

I mean, that's all waaay out there cuckoo speculation, but...
This is like saying that one should be able to exit a black hole by slingshotting around the singularity, but it's not possible. Inside the event horizon, all possible paths lead to the singularity. Any path that can achieve escape velocity has to be outside the event horizon.

PBS Spacetime has a great video on mapping the interior of the event horizon, and how objects behave inside.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote:
PBS Spacetime has a great video on mapping the interior of the event horizon, and how objects behave inside.
Uhmmm.. WOW! I've always considered myself a connoisseur of science and scientific theory... those guys on the PBS Science videos.. make me feel like a complete aboriginal moron! I LOVE IT... but wow... I wish I had the intellect to understand more!

THANKS A BUNCH Arioch! I completely am going to watch more.. I hated he did not go further into the multiple realities part of his Spacetime map... but now I understand so much more about why 'Black Holes' behave the way they do and WHAT is actually going on with what we call a black hole!

LOTS of food for thought! Technically a black hole is not an object ... as it is effectively the space that is not measurable AS SPACE in our universe it is; basically a glimpse at the edge of what we would consider our 3-dimensional universe where you go when you are truly outside 3D Existence as we perceive it, at least in this universe. Any future events that take place within a black hole are truly not part of our universe...

FASCINATING! I totally love it! Thanks a bunch! TONS of food for thought!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I recommend starting at the beginning; they take you through some pretty heavy concepts step by step, and each video builds on the previous ones. They're really well done.

novius

Post by novius »

Another far-fetched (read: absurd) possibility would be that the hyperspace graph would wrap around at the lower and upper boundary - like rolling the graph into a cylinder. As in, if you get far enough into -hyperspace, you end up far in the +hyperspace and vice versa. After all, the observable universe is limitless but still finite - its curvature would lead anything back to its origin if it flies a straight line for long enough. Hyperspace could be about the same.

Of course, that would be irrelevant because once in -hyperspace a ship would start "dropping" ever faster, and continuing to drop faster and faster even through subsequent wraparounds, so that only very steep spacetime curvature, like being close to a black hole would have a chance to "catch" the ship back into realspace. And even in that theoretical case a ship would be doomed by black hole.

So, still. Whatever gets into -hyperspace is lost forever. End of story...

novius

Post by novius »

Arioch wrote:I recommend starting at the beginning; they take you through some pretty heavy concepts step by step, and each video builds on the previous ones.
Seconded. Add to that
  • "The Universe in a Nutshell" and
  • "A short history of time"
,both by Stephen Hawking, as recommended reading. It covers the concept of Spacetime (there you see the cones again...) and explains the Hawking radiation which is mentioned in that video, amongst other things.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

novius wrote:After all, the observable universe is limitless but still finite - its curvature would lead anything back to its origin if it flies a straight line for long enough.
As I understand, the universe doesn't loop back within it's observable bounds, so that's just a suspicion rather than a observed fact. And more importantly, not observable regardless of whether it's true, due to the dense gas that filled the universe early on, and I think the mass expansion that occurred at the tail-end of that. It's a reasonable postulate, but it can't be anything else with conceivable technology (even if you got FTL drives, you'd be assuming that your aim was perfect, and would still have to cross the entire universe: even Stargate Universe didn't claim that scale of travel).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Current observations suggest that space is remarkably flat, so even if it is slightly curved and therefore finite, it must be unimaginably large... many orders of magnitude larger than the observable portion (which is approximately 93 billion light years in diameter).

StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

I've been following Outsider since...ancient times (pretty much the beginning) but, never actually registered here.

Anywho, the discussion of the size of the universe and/or Hyperspace prompted old memories of a classic quote and I just couldn't resist the temptation:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on space...
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

Otherwise, carry on...