P A G E 1 1 3

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ewaggin

Re: P A G E 1 1 3

Post by ewaggin »

Thanks Arioch.
I like the way that Spiral's comment shows that she is sensitive to telling Jardin that she bet on his death. "Hey, if he would've seen himself, he would've bet that hw would die!"

Quazel

Post by Quazel »

Happiness is a new page and girls with brightly colored hair.

Did she actually say Gurgle or mimic the sound?
KIKITIK-27-TIKHAK-TIKKUKIT 2020!

Luge

Post by Luge »

Is it me, or are the colours rather washed put on page 113?

I go from looking at Jardin's uniform in the last panel of 112 and by comparison, it seems rather faded in 113. Perhaps a colour correction issue?

A.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Sweforce wrote:
icekatze wrote:hi hi

This. Is. Awesome!

Also, do my eyes deceive me, or is Spiral's grasp of the trade language not very formal? :P
Well they are not Mizol after all so diplomacy isn't really their thing.
also i think she didnt "sense" Alex so she may be thinking why did talon speak in trade? but answered anyway... He dialog really sound like Alex is not even on the ship

thicket

Post by thicket »

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Luge wrote:Is it me, or are the colours rather washed put on page 113?

I go from looking at Jardin's uniform in the last panel of 112 and by comparison, it seems rather faded in 113. Perhaps a colour correction issue?

A.
It's accurate considering that the majority of the lighting in the cockpit appears to be blue, which will make anything orange appear very washed out.

Shadowy Wanderer

Post by Shadowy Wanderer »

Hello there.

I have been following The Outsider before it had 40 pages and reading forums. Never posted before. Glad to see Arioch is still in the game and looking forward to future posts.

It’s nice how Arioch is subtly hinting at Talon and Spiral's actual age with their offhanded and slightly juvenile way of speaking.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Lighting changes from scene to scene, and the colors of the characters change accordingly.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

A.
Yeah, I thought it at first too, but when I went from the previous scenes to 113 and back, I could see that it is consistent with the lighting.

CJSF

UltimateKane99

Post by UltimateKane99 »

Holy shit Arioch is back! WHOO!

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

Well, see you guys in 14 months for page 114.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Until now, usually a few pages came in "quick" succession. Until the next scene change, when Arioch had to flesh out all the details....
So I'm hoping for a lot to happen in the confines of the cockpit and the shuttle main cabin....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Luge

Post by Luge »

Arioch wrote:Lighting changes from scene to scene, and the colors of the characters change accordingly.

That is singularly impressive attention to detail!

Hopefully signs that there are a lot more scenes in the works!

A.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Good I'm checking here directly.... I saw no tweet of a new page show up in my twitter feed....

Yay!
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Karst45 wrote:also i think she didnt "sense" Alex so she may be thinking why did talon speak in trade? but answered anyway... He dialog really sound like Alex is not even on the ship
I don't know if this really checks out. The two of them were having a conversation with the door to the cockpit open, as far back as panel 5, page 112. Surely Spiral was able to hear Alex talking, even if she didn't sense him. Especially if she didn't sense someone else that Talon was talking to.

And the context of the conversation seems obvious that Alex was there. If it was just Talon talking to herself or to Spiral, it really doesn't make sense to say "You would have bet the same if you had seen it," when Talon was there and had seen it, and bet the other way.

Excellion

Post by Excellion »

icekatze wrote: And the context of the conversation seems obvious that Alex was there. If it was just Talon talking to herself or to Spiral, it really doesn't make sense to say "You would have bet the same if you had seen it," when Talon was there and had seen it, and bet the other way.
I think you're spot-on here: To me the most likely explanation is that Spiral is fully aware that Alex and Talon are present, and that she is responding to Talon's statement in the previous panel. Spiral's reply appears to simulate the "Broken English" that a child or an entry level English speaker might use to express themselves. While broken English can be understood anyone who has a firmer grasp on the language will notice the odd word choices and the unusual grammar. (Whereas the speaker won't notice and just uses whatever words they can to express themselves). We know that most Loroi prefer using Sanzai over spoken language and while Beryl and Tempo are fluent trade speakers i assume Loroi's speech skills would be inferior in comparison.

If Spiral had been more fluent in the trade language i assume her reply would be something akin to "There were signs of asphyxiation and severe haemorrhage. Under such conditions he must have deemed his survival changes to be low. "
harlequin2262 wrote:Well, see you guys in 14 months for page 114.
Patreon already lists page 116, so i doubt the wait will be nearly as long as that.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

This is something that I wrote in the discord chat:

My take on Spiral's comment is that both she and Talon are partially or even subconsciously treating Alex as a Loroi male and are 'competing' with each other to get in his good side.

Talon sold Spiral out, intentionally or without even thinking, by saying that she bet on him dying. Spiral was caught unawares and jumped in to defend herself in a way that would be understood by Alex.

Now how is that bet making Spiral look bad? Imagine that a helicopter crew rescued a woman that was on the verge of death, they were certain that she would die and one of them bet that she would. Later that woman comes about and both pilots end up trying to hit on her. The one who didn't bet now has a big gun for shooting down the chances of the competition.

Funny thing is that this whole faux pax would probably make Spiral look better to a human man.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Excellion wrote:
icekatze wrote: And the context of the conversation seems obvious that Alex was there. If it was just Talon talking to herself or to Spiral, it really doesn't make sense to say "You would have bet the same if you had seen it," when Talon was there and had seen it, and bet the other way.
I think you're spot-on here: To me the most likely explanation is that Spiral is fully aware that Alex and Talon are present, and that she is responding to Talon's statement in the previous panel. Spiral's reply appears to simulate the "Broken English" that a child or an entry level English speaker might use to express themselves. While broken English can be understood anyone who has a firmer grasp on the language will notice the odd word choices and the unusual grammar. (Whereas the speaker won't notice and just uses whatever words they can to express themselves). We know that most Loroi prefer using Sanzai over spoken language and while Beryl and Tempo are fluent trade speakers i assume Loroi's speech skills would be inferior in comparison.

If Spiral had been more fluent in the trade language i assume her reply would be something akin to "There were signs of asphyxiation and severe haemorrhage. Under such conditions he must have deemed his survival changes to be low. "
Just a minor nitpick, but I think it's a bit more likely that Spiral's odd speech pattern is more accurately put down to a flawed translation convention on the part of Alex (and the audience), rather than her not really knowing Trade. Informal speech in a slightly different dialect can become difficult to parse or outright unintelligible.

Case in point:

SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

I'm not quite sure do Loroi literally bet on alex death or it was just an idiom?
Outsider in Russian

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I know Arioch has said before that there are different dialects in the trade language, and that there are going to be some differences between the Loroi's own version of trade and the one the Orgus were using. But Spiral's usage does seem rather off the cuff.

Maybe she's flustered and or rushing herself, maybe as a brash pilot she just doesn't care enough even though she's fully trained, maybe she just doesn't use trade enough to be fluent, maybe she has her own regional dialect that sounds different to an outsider. Either way, it's noticeable.

How to talk Minnesotan: Part 3, via youtube :P