More Page 88 speculation

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Quazel

More Page 88 speculation

Post by Quazel »

In page 88 KIKITIK 27 seems to indicate that they have found a way around the lotai. So I was thinking if we assume that perhaps the secret of the lotai is not as well kept as we believed, and the Umiak have known of it for some time, how might they circumvent it? Would a Farseer detect a sleeper? Someone in suspended animation? If would could place the entire crew of a battle fleet in suspended animation; could we slip them past that defensive line? Could we rely on AI and scout fleets and to deflect trouble away from our sleepers and keep them safe tell they can awaken?

I'm sure one of you guys have posted this thought already, if so please link me to the post.
KIKITIK-27-TIKHAK-TIKKUKIT 2020!

Voitan

Re: More Page 88 speculation

Post by Voitan »

Or artificial minds/AI.

dragoongfa

Re: More Page 88 speculation

Post by dragoongfa »

Even with the automation inherent in the tech levels of the main combatants it's obvious that regular monitoring and maintenance of equipment is needed in order for a warship to operate at full capacity. With the in system travel times being in the span of several days and even a week per star system and with the steppes needing a few jumps in order to be traversed then the crew would have to be subjected to probably around a month of suspended animation. Even then amplified farseers should be able to detect the suspended crew unless their neural activity is fully flatlined.

Suspended animation is also out of the picture due to the fact that the Loroi couldn't detect the ships that they were fighting, ships that must have had their crew fully raised since they were in a combat situation.

Fully automated AI ships could do it but it's a double edged sword and iirc even the Historians with their advanced tech can't have fully automated warships.