WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Krulle »

Beryl will interrupt this intimate greeting!

edit: new month, and Outsider starts in the top fifty of TWC. Let's see for how long.... ;)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

First Beryl is all but "get away you hussy", and now, as far as I can tell, Talon is really pouty for not being allowed to touch Jardin.
That's funny and interesting subtext, thought I don't think Arioch is going beyond some minor teasing and actually channelling Terrible Writing Advice by going for Love Triangle.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Haha, Beryl is acting like a 6yr old who caught her sister playing with her toys.

"Stop it! Stop touching my toys!"
"But you weren't playing with them..."
"Doesn't matter! Get out of my room. Mommy, tell sissy to get out of my room."

Kripes, sounds like any given Saturday at my brother's house.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Hahahah! It's so much better than that ...actually! You should be patrons .. at the site you can see the whole page 117! This is just the last cell of that page! High-larious! :)

No doubt about it Jealousy is also a Loroi emotion...{snicker}.. and clearly Beryl is taller than Tallon {not surprising.. pilots tend to range toward being shorter in our air force military's as well.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Ha, ha, ha... but seriously, what reason does Beryl truly have to react this way? do loroi have a concept of prudety?
If anything, the display of human typical greeting and their need of physical contact should have piqued her interest.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Loroi do have something of a taboo about physical contact, since between themselves, it creates a particularly personal telepathic connection.

I must admit though, I think it would be funny if there is an entirely different telepathic conversation going on than what we're seeing on the surface. I know that Tempo is probably the only one that is used to holding a public and personal state of mind, but it would be pretty funny if Tempo was actually thinking, "Wow, this human sure is weird and smelly, and he can't even hear anything I'm thinking!"

Even if I didn't really care about someone one way or another, having someone else come in and boss me around would still put an unhappy expression on my face. (If we are getting into love geometry territory though, it would be a love pentagon.)

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

SpoilerShow
I can feel the pure refined sass oozing from Beryl's pose in this frame. :lol:
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

I am part of the Patreon, I just like to have a bit of surprise when the comics go live.

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

Beryl pretty clearly established 'first dibs', even if the pilots were technically the first one's to spot the male. And the first time, LITERALLY the first time she lets him out of her sight, she returns to find some lecherous PILOT grinding her gropers on Alex in the middle of the aisle. That's like, second base for Loroi.

Honestly, I think we have a bit of a situation here where a chihuahua has somehow managed to bring down an entire cow, and is now considering their options, now that the dobermans and wolves and Teidar are approaching.

Presumably, this is the essential origin of the Loroi population management strategies.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

If anything, I think it's more that Talon immediately respects Alex as pilot and stuck in dire circumstances, whereas Beryl sees him more as a pet and treats him little better than patronizingly. I'd like to see Alex stand up for himself in that regard. I'd be quite disappointed if any of this winds up romantic. I agree that her look (and words) are more of the "that's MY doll" than, "Hands off my man!" with a hint of "I got dibs, I outrank you".

CJSF

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

harlequin2262 wrote:Beryl pretty clearly established 'first dibs', even if the pilots were technically the first one's to spot the male. And the first time, LITERALLY the first time she lets him out of her sight, she returns to find some lecherous PILOT grinding her gropers on Alex in the middle of the aisle. That's like, second base for Loroi.

Honestly, I think we have a bit of a situation here where a chihuahua has somehow managed to bring down an entire cow, and is now considering their options, now that the dobermans and wolves and Teidar are approaching.

Presumably, this is the essential origin of the Loroi population management strategies.
We were replying at the same time, and I like the first part of your explanation somewhat better. But I still would be disappointed in some regards.

CJSF

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

At the very least, Talon can probably relate to Alex, on the whole "lost my friends," angle. Am I correct in remembering that she and Spiral were the last surviving members of their diral? I mean, pretty much everyone in the Loroi knows about loss, but for some the loss is probably more acute than others.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

I don't recall if the whole diral deployed as one or not (more than the two of them did, certainly), but I am certain that they are the only two survivors of their particular fighter group.

deadlypie

Post by deadlypie »

Hey this is just a heads up to arioch, but you messed up your last patron upload.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

deadlypie wrote:Hey this is just a heads up to arioch, but you messed up your last patron upload.
Yeah, there was a mix-up, but it should be fixed tomorrow.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

raistlin34 wrote:Ha, ha, ha... but seriously, what reason does Beryl truly have to react this way? do loroi have a concept of prudety?
If anything, the display of human typical greeting and their need of physical contact should have piqued her interest.
It does. She is just jealous of Talon.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

What I think happened so far:

Beryl fell asleep during Tempo's wall of text without wanting to, due to being so dead tired. Tempo being at her limits after so many days on edge due to Stillstorm being a bitch wanted some reprieve as well now that things were somewhat peaceful. Talon and Spiral made their presense known when they informed about cruise mode and that they were curious about Alex who they had rescued. Tempo said whatever and remembered that Alex had asked for star charts on Tempest's bridge, she asked Talon to show him the star charts now that they could move about on the shuttle.

Talon was excited/happy about meeting the weird male for the first time and was a little straightforward about everything with little to no intimidation about his Lotai. His far more straightforward reply and gestures surprised her pleasantly and she took it as an intimate interest of the male they rescued towards them, instead of the awkard but friendly gesture of someone who was on isolation for a week and was 'starved' (for lack of a better word) for someone nice to talk to without ulterior motives.

Beryl having been raised either by Tempo or Fireblade who must have been wondering why both Talon and Spiral were so excited all of a sudden. Beryl was annoyed, first with herself for dozing off, then to Tempo for not waking her up. She asks where Alex is when Talon asks about Alex, his name and what weird thing he is doing with his hand. Beryl tells her his Trade name (Enzin) and rushes to the cockpit to find Talon and Alex shaking hands while Talon gloating how she made a close friend of the alien and how she learned something Beryl didn't know about him.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

dragoongfa wrote:What I think happened so far:

Beryl fell asleep during Tempo's wall of text without wanting to, due to being so dead tired. Tempo being at her limits after so many days on edge due to Stillstorm being a bitch wanted some reprieve as well now that things were somewhat peaceful. Talon and Spiral made their presense known when they informed about cruise mode and that they were curious about Alex who they had rescued. Tempo said whatever and remembered that Alex had asked for star charts on Tempest's bridge, she asked Talon to show him the star charts now that they could move about on the shuttle.

Talon was excited/happy about meeting the weird male for the first time and was a little straightforward about everything with little to no intimidation about his Lotai. His far more straightforward reply and gestures surprised her pleasantly and see took it as an intimate interest of the male they rescued towards them, instead of the awkard but friendly gesture of someone who was on isolation for a week and was 'starved' (for lack of a better word) for someone nice to talk to without ulterior motives.

Beryl having been raised either by Tempo or Fireblade who must have been wondering why both Talon and Spiral were so excited all of a sudden. Beryl was annoyed, first with herself for dozing off, then to Tempo for not waking her up. She asks where Alex is when Talon asks about Alex, his name and what weird thing he is doing with his hand. Beryl tells her his Trade name (Enzin) and rushes to the cockpit to find Talon and Alex shaking hands while Talon gloating how she made a close friend of the alien and how she learned something Beryl didn't know about him.
That's a believable interpretation of the event.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Beryl seems to be frustrated about a lot of things, and some of that frustration may be carrying over too.

I tell ya though, I tried to think of how I would explain the concept and customs surrounding the handshake to an alien, and every time I tried I kept coming back to this. "Handshaking is really weird."

Like, sometimes it is this formal thing that you do, but not too formal; and sometimes it's a friendly thing, but not too friendly. If you're good friends you might wave or even hug, and then a handshake might seem too formal and distant. But if you're in the military, then you've got a salute instead, and a handshake might be seen as too casual. And sometimes you only shake hands when you meet someone for the first time, but other times it is after meeting them after a long period of separation, but sometimes not. Sometimes it is used to show gratitude, and other times it is a formal requirement regardless of how you feel. Some people think it is a tradition that come from ancient times when people would check to make sure the other wasn't armed, but there is some evidence that it is also used to transfer personally identifying smells.

But I suppose if Beryl can learn English in a short while, the myriad of customs surrounding the handshake would probably be easy by comparison.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

icekatze wrote:Some people think it is a tradition that come from ancient times when people would check to make sure the other wasn't armed, but there is some evidence that it is also used to transfer personally identifying smells.

But I suppose if Beryl can learn English in a short while, the myriad of customs surrounding the handshake would probably be easy by comparison.
I always did like the bolded explanation, in part because I first came across it from Farscape. The scene I linked to always stood out to me, and if aliens are ever to understand that particular human custom, I feel that that particular explanation is the one that may best carry across the cultural divide.

Feelings < Evidence though. :(
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.