Page 134: For Science!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

novius

Page 134: For Science!

Post by novius »

"Pleasant science elf" vs. "Red-haired harpy". :D

Okay. Alex "woke up" to that torpedo warning and facing Beryl deeply relaxed. That's one thing.

But aside from that ... would that mean that humans can 'sense' especially powerful Loroi, or is it because said "red-haired harpy" has it in for him?

Would be interesting to know.

Arent

Re: Page 134: For Science!

Post by Arent »

For science!!11 :mrgreen:

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:But aside from that ... would that mean that humans can 'sense' especially powerful Loroi, or is it because said "red-haired harpy" has it in for him?
Well, I think he will quite quickly also sense the other Loroi. And maybe even the Umiak. It's just that he senses the Loroi with the strongest emanation/amplifier first.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Could it be that Fire-blade has managed to break into his mind and set up some sort of surveillance like a blue skinned space elf version of the NSA?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Me thinks her earlier intrusion simply left a mark his brain finds and recognises, but with this he'll also be able to start training/experimenting.

Yay, torpedo. The Umiak are thus much closer than oreviously anticipated.

My prediction: Alex devises the plan to ditch the shuttle, using emergency rescue modules, while using the shuttle to protect the station.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

novius wrote:"Pleasant science elf" vs. "Red-haired harpy". :D

Okay. Alex "woke up" to that torpedo warning and facing Beryl deeply relaxed. That's one thing.

But aside from that ... would that mean that humans can 'sense' especially powerful Loroi, or is it because said "red-haired harpy" has it in for him?

What he felt was her burning jealousy.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Krulle wrote:Me thinks her earlier intrusion simply left a mark his brain finds and recognises, but with this he'll also be able to start training/experimenting.
Just look at their charsheets. Fireblade has by far the most "raw power". Alex will probably notice Tempo or Beryl next. If they are not distracted by the attack.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:My prediction: Alex devises the plan to ditch the shuttle, using emergency rescue modules, while using the shuttle to protect the station.
Alex is a genius, so his plan will be to have the loroi fleet be slowly chased for almost 3 hours of a sub-par movie while the umiak slowly kill off their ships one by one and then drop everyone off on a planet, turn the last ship around and do a deep jump into a umiak super-heavy.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

In all seriousness though, I love her saddened expression when she doesn't get anything out of him. It's amazing how heart breaking it is, I want to believe that Beryl has at the back of the head the bad inclination that it is some form of intentional barrier and she is genuinely saddened by that possibility.

Amazing work as always Arioch

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

LOL knew it :D Nice trolling, Arioch! Turns out Alex was startled out of his meditation by the torpedo warning.

But it's interesting he can mentally "see" Fireblade who's some 10-15 metres away and presumably not actively attempting to sanzai him. Now I wonder if he's seeing her on his own or through Beryl. Either way it sort of means that humans do have some sort of telepathic ability.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

boldilocks wrote:

What he felt was her burning jealousy.
Can I +1 this?

Also, interesting how he perceives Fireblade's physical outline, that she's sitting. From what I gathered, Loroi only detect the mind, but not the body, or its position.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

"Torpedo Launch"

>Evasive Maneuvers

>Guess who is going to have to hold on to who ;)

novius

Post by novius »

dragoongfa wrote:In all seriousness though, I love her saddened expression when she doesn't get anything out of him. It's amazing how heart breaking it is, I want to believe that Beryl has at the back of the head the bad inclination that it is some form of intentional barrier and she is genuinely saddened by that possibility.

Amazing work as always Arioch
People just do have to feel pity on seeing that usually bubbly blue space elf that dejected. And, she might truly be broken when Alex tells her that he did perceive one Loroi, though not Beryl herself, but that one Loroi he simply can't stand. And where that feeling is pretty much mutual.

Perhaps Fireblade's forceful intrusion left its mark on him? But that would mean that Tempo either never had her hand in that (literally), or she's much too subtle to leave a mental scarring.

Perhaps it is something that requires training? And perhaps a telepathic mind 'guiding' his own? Beryl would surely be eager to assist.

But, there is a scary thought: Perhaps Alex's ability to sense Fireblade now gave her an inroad into his mind, too? Here's to hoping that this isn't the case or at least she never picked up on his less-than-flattering thoughts about her. Being tossed around telekinetically would be the least of his worries :)
Last edited by novius on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:Alex is a genius, so his plan will be to have the loroi fleet be slowly chased for almost 3 hours of a sub-par movie while the umiak slowly kill off their ships one by one and then drop everyone off on a planet, turn the last ship around and do a deep jump into a umiak super-heavy.
Except that he has to make sure not to tell his allies about the plan so that they end up unwittingly working against him, and the Umiak have to immediately surround and attack the planet so that it was all for nothing, and so that the most powerful non-evil psi in the galaxy can sacrifice himself to save about 10 useless people for no particular reason.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Could mean that humans have a latent ability beyond just lotai; but it take exposure to an active psi-user to train it into something usable. Given that humans have no such persons within their ranks, it has gone undetected and thus untrained. (not that they had any use for it until now)

If so, it would make them ideal psi-hunters; if they are near impossible to detect via ESP *and* can be taught to not only identify a target but its disposition, with stronger/more dangerous PK users being easier to detect.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Man those Umiak suck.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

It had to be done.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

boldilocks wrote:What he felt was her burning jealousy.
IIRC She has both the highest raw power and the worst shields. Especially when asleep.

Or perhaps he can detect telekinetics.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I think it's obvious.

Humans can only telepathically sense their soulmate.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

So, did Red Harpy create a psychic bound with Alex during the probbing, willingly or not?