Writing Prompts

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Writing Prompts

Post by Krulle »

I am enjoying this teasing far too much.....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

continuation of http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/vie ... 979#p30979
hopefully won't be ninja'ed again)
Damn! Tempo thought. The alarm went off, and Beryl was clearly in range.
who could be entering the Highland then?

"Beryl, do you know where Talon and Spiral are?" she sent, while switching off the alarm she had installed.

"No, why?" came the reply.

Tempo concentrated, and reached the guards in front of the shuttle. "Is someone inside the shuttle?"

"Yes, Tenoin Arrir Tesin, Parat." came the swift reply.
The guard flinched when the wordless reply came, reminding her of the explicit order that, bar for emergencies, no-one save Baeyl and Tempo were allowed to enter the shuttle.

"Beryl, move to the shuttle, now. We need to get that Tenoin out!" she ordered Beryl.

Thankfully, Beryl did not reply but was quickly on the move. She tried to reach out to Talon, but she was apparently not on the shuttle. Nor on the station...
Hmm, that human is more trusting than any Loroi would be... Good I installed that alarm, or my plans might've been shot.

Shortly afterwards, Beryl and herself arrived at the shuttle, and the guards confirmed, that the pilot was still aboard.
So they both entered.

Alex was outside the shower, trying to wrap himself in some towels when he heard the doors open.

"Where is Tenoin Arrir Tesin?" Tempo asked.

"You mean Talon? She's in the cockpit. She said she needed to check some systems." he replied.

Tempo immediately went to the cockpit, and barely noticed the look Beryl gave their charge. She was too focused and busy right now.

When the door opened, she nearly got a fit.
"Tenoin, what are you doing?" she mentally screamed.

Talon looked very caught, and immediately got up and scrambled for her clothes and armor.

"I... I... Well.., he invited me into his bedroom" Talon tried to defend herself.

"You purposefully lied to him that you needed to check systems and purposefully misinterpreted his answer for your own access to a male!"

"No, I really got something to check." a cowered Talon replied, while gesturing at her watch. The image conveyed showed indeed that the system has called to the pilot to check some abnormal energy readings.

"Get off the shuttle now" Tempo commanded, and left the cockpit.

Outside she closed her eyes and leaned to the wall next to the cockpit door, and took a deep breath.

"I am sorry for the intrusio..." she started to say when she opened her eyes, but stopped when she saw the shuttle's passenger cabin was empty.

"Has someone left the shuttle since I came aboard?" she asked the guards.

"No"

"Give me a signal when Tenoin Arrir has left the shittle." she commanded, and spread her mind in search for Beryl, but she could not pinpoint her.

She stayed and observed the shuttle telepathically, barely noticing the pilot slipping out, and receiving a short statement from the guards confirming the pilot has left the shuttle.

You sneaky white-haired girl. Where are you?

Then she felt a triumphant primal telepathic shout. Clearly Alex and Beryl's signature attached (is that the sanitary room? Thankfully they are not visible in the mirror....).... She hoped the shout did not carry far, but she already got a signal from the station's crew room section.

"She got to him before you!" Fireblade sent triumphantically "I won the wager!"
Okay, now we need to raise the age requirement of the boards....

Because this finally marks a clear change in happenings, feel free to ignore this part if you wish to continue teasing them.
I have some ideas to continue, but this is a good hooking point to pass on.

edit: some spelling errors, and if someone continues from here, I'll remove the spoiler tags again.... edit:done
Last edited by Krulle on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Don't worry, I'll save the age rating. Boy do I have the plot hook for that.
Tempo fumed, but she could see no way of breaking up the two. Not without directly claiming the privileges of rank. That she would not dare in front of Enzin Jardin. In fact she could name only one person in the system jaded enough to do that. And when Fireblade sent again, Tempo turned even paler.

Finally they had managed to sneak away. While Tempo was busy chewing out poor Talon, Beryl had grabbed his hand. He didn't even need her Sanzai to read her intent. They had pressed each other into this tight side cabin and wouldn't come out even if Tempo were to hammer on the door.

Beryl had her hands on the side of his chest and mentally directed his fingers how to open her uniform. Just as Alex had overcome his clumsiness and supple blue started shining through, Tempo did bang on the door.

„Get dressed, now! Commander on deck!“

Military protocol wasn't his strong suit, yet even he knew recognized Tempos meaning. The tone of this negotiation would take a turn downwards.

They broke out of the restroom; Tempo threw him his jumpsuit before instructing them both.
„Get your thoughts in order. No mention of any of this now. No Sanzai. You're not good enough at it, Enzin.“

Besides him Beryl had already begun nervously fidgeting her uniform back together and ordering her hair. Alex barely had time to get in his jumpsuit and button it up when the shuttle door opened and in came Stillstorm.

„Captain Jardin, how convenient to meet you here.“ she sneered.

Tempo and Beryl both stood to attention in what he assumed was the Loroi way. By instinct he followed suit his own way.

„This system is contested and I am acting system commander. So I am as brief as I am busy.“ Her tone was icy. No doubt she knows, thought Alex.

„You have been the object of gossip on all ships, Captain Jardin. Therefore, as system commander I have just approved of a mating encounter with you.“

„Come again?“ Alex heard himself say. Beryl drew in a sharp breath, while Tempo credited herself by remaining perfectly calm.

„Your presence is bad for discipline and therefore I have decided to have things proceed in ordered circumstances.“

Tempo now spoke: „Who put in an official request for an encounter?“ Alex asked himself the same thing. He tried remembering which Loroi he had even met.

„I did.“ came Stillstorms answer.

„Come again?“ said Alex again.

„Tozet Beryl, explain to the Captain how requisition of an encounter is handled.“ ordered Stillstorm.

Dazzled Beryl explained: „A mating encounter in the military is filed with the ranking Torrai who then usually forwards it through proper channels. In an active warzone the highest authority is the system commander. Approved mating encounters are fulfilled according to rank, from highest to lowest when convenient for both parties.“

Disbelieving what he heard Alex asked: „Don't I get a say in this?“

„Of course you do, Captain Jardin.“ came Stillstorms response. „By Loroi law you can refuse approved mating encounters as they're redeemed.“

Hearing this Alex relaxed slighty, yet still tense he wondered something: „I am not a Loroi. Do I fall under your laws, Commander Stillstorm?“

A sardonic tone crept into Stillstorms voice: „You do not, Captain Jardin. But they do.“ She indicated the two Loroi next to him. „An unsanctioned mating encounter is grounds for a court martial.“

„I see, so you can deny their mating encounters.“ replied Alex.
„Yes, but I hereby preemptively approve one mating encounter for each of them. One for Talon too, she is 51ths best pilot.“

„Then you just want to be first?“ asked Beryl aghast.

A look from Stillstorm drove poor Beryl back physically.

„I didn't lie. I am very busy. There is a war to wage.“

Even in his confusion and resentment Alex had to admire Stillstorm for her pracmatism. Still he could not keep a certain bitterness out of his voice as he spoke: „You awarded yourself a mating encounter, which I can deny once you redeem it. Which won't happen as you are too busy to do so. Which, since you are the highest ranking officer means all lower ranks have to wait on you. How convenient.“

„Indeed. It understands quickly. Palan Fireblade and the Soroin assigned as your guards will be responsible for keeping discipline.“

With that Stillstorm turned, leaving Alex, Beryl and Tempo behind speechless. After the shuttle doors closed again Alex taught the two Loroi a bit of earth dialect.

„What a bitch.“

novius

Post by novius »

Even better than what I was about to cook up. Well, Tempo, the shoe is on the other foot, now?

Though, Tempo would not be a good Mizol if she didn't find a loophole, plus, she might rate Alex's wellbeing and his importance to the Union higher than the antics of a single officer - even if it is technically the CO and a decorated war hero.

We'll see. I actually have an idea about one loophole which would still have them not risk court martial and not incite a full-blown mutiny.

Werra

Post by Werra »

I'm anxious to see what you guys come up with. There's been great stuff so far.

I do have an idea on how this conflict will eventually be resolved, but my solution might not fit your plot hooks. That's entirely okay with me.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Nice. Thank You!
SpoilerShow
I had basically a kind of wager between Tempo and Fireblade in mind, who of Tempo and Beryl got to Alex first.
This would've allowed for Fireblade to impose rules on Tempo about what she's allowed to do, while still having Tempo aim for the primary goal of bonding Beryl and Alex for her target of testing the extended Lotai...

Well, after this rescue, my aim will have to wait a bit longer...
Maybe we can stretch it beyond my holidays starting next week... :D

Werra

Post by Werra »

SpoilerShow
My idea involves no loopholes but both an angry Alex and an angry Stillstorm.

The bet or Tempos plans would be nearly unaffected.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SpoilerShow
Werra wrote:My idea involves no loopholes but both an angry Alex and an angry Stillstorm.

The bet or Tempos plans would be nearly unaffected.
Indeed. Because nothing happened.

But I had something specific in mind for the wager (and resulting story hook), but maybe it's good that we're not going there...

I also like how Stillstorm's intervention stopped any progress of our storyline, without including disciplinary repercussions for those who've been entrusted with the diplomatic delegate....

Werra

Post by Werra »

SpoilerShow
Krulle wrote:Indeed. Because nothing happened.
I'm not sure how you mean this. If anything, it would be happening in the future?
Krulle wrote:But I had something specific in mind for the wager (and resulting story hook), but maybe it's good that we're not going there...
In my opinion it's only a matter of time before these stories drift into smut. Might as well embrace it. Has Arioch said anything on that?
Krulle wrote: I also like how Stillstorm's intervention stopped any progress of our storyline, without including disciplinary repercussions for those who've been entrusted with the diplomatic delegate....
That story part was an attempt to mirror the bridge scene in which Tempo used legalese to make Alex offlimits to Stillstorm. You can consider Stillstorm "drylipping" the crew as the punishment. I also enjoy ruining the romantic mood.

If something should happen, maybe it's time to consider moving the larger plotline forwards. Because there's only relationships to work with in the shuttle.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

A brief look into Alex's head throughout most of this latest turn of events:
SpoilerShow

novius

Post by novius »

No intention to devolve that into a smutfest, but I am sure Tempo would search for a loophole to had the restrictions lifted or at least relaxed
  1. to go on with her plans unimpeded
  2. and simply because she's hacked off that Stillstorm spat in her dish enough to retaliate, and that in a way that wouldn't result in disciplinary actions against herself
  3. just out of principle
  4. And, perhaps, adding insult to injury by making the grants Stillstorm signed for Tempo, Beryl (and Talon) - but never intended to come to pass - actually count for something.
  5. In addition, Tempo might still believe that Alex coudn't go for extended periods without mating encounters - Beryl might never had the chance to share that tidbit. Stillstorm might even believe that, too - even if she thinks Alex to be a shell trick copy of a Loroi, with all their weaknesses. She might even bank on the idea that Alex 'not getting some' would have him perish.
  6. SpoilerShow
    And, last but not least, it could actually work in Tempo's favor. Were Beryl and Alex going exclusive with each other, that would make Beryl technically an outcast and could cause repercussions for Alex for 'corrupting' one of the warriors. Add more women into the mix, and that problem might be mitigated somewhat. It's just the matter of making Alex see it that way...

Yes, these are things I could see Tempo doing, and all of them (but the first) don't even touch the ultimate issue of having sexytimes or not.

Possible loopholes - have to decide on which one to take - don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Really. I mean it.
SpoilerShow
  1. The diplomatic credentials Tempo bestowed him with - in front of witnesses, even - could entitle him to some additional benefits. That would be the easy way out.
  2. Stillstorm might not reside in the system indefinitely - SG51 could be sent away on a deep strike mission, maybe to cut off Umiak supply lines. Her leaving could have her void her place on 'the list'... with Tempo being next in line.
  3. Loroi males not getting some are in mortal peril, right? So Tempo jumping the line could be construed as a medical emergency :)
  4. Were Stillstorm doing that to a Loroi male, that would be akin to murder. Sure there had been some vengeful harridan in the past doing much the same thing, setting a precendece case to not to happen that again. As in, there could be some emergency provisions written down in the law for extenuating circumstances. That Alex is no Loroi, no matter. The law was never written with non-Loroi in mind.
  5. And, why did Stillstorm put Tempo, Beryl and Talon on the list beforehand? Just by putting herself on the list and intentionally not cashing in she'd klikblock (thanks for that term, whoever invented it :) Alex in an effective way. It could be some sort of game between her and Tempo, much like chess. That way, Stillstorm sort of upped the ante. 'Your move, Tempo.'
  6. Beryl gave Alex enough reason to chafe under the restrictions as well :) And, since even prisoners on Earth are entitled to conjugal visits, he might see Stillstorm's stunt as a gross violation of personal rights. Sure, military service includes strict adherence to rules and discipline, but a number of them are put on hold when the soldier is off-duty. Of course, that's just the human view on things.
Of course, even if Tempo manages to send off Stillstorm in a snit, Beryl wouldn't simply turn around and be all over Alex again. That part of disciplinary issue may still stand. Sure they'd continue to tiptoe around for a while - and leaving more screentime for something else to happen -, but that looming threat Stillstorm posed over them would be gone.

In addition, Stillstorm's stunt could have cost her major points with MANY of the Loroi who got wind of Alex's existence. I bet there'd be enough of them secretly rooting for Tempo if she actually manages to outmaneuver her.

Of course, Stillstorm herself might know of some (if not all) possible loopholes, but she felt the need to take immediate action before discipline in a warzone went down in a tailspin over a single pink alien. This was her idea of a sharp reprimand to all Loroi in the system to get their act together - there are Umiak to fight! - And, having one over Tempo and Alex was just an additional boon.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Been following every bit you guys write and have been enjoying it all a lot, and laughing at how Werra adamantly tries to steer the story away from erotica, while Novius and Krulle just say "NOPE" and turn it back again. I've said it before, had I any creative talent at all, I'd add something too along the technical/navy/procedure lines, but I do not.

After reading the last part, I just wanted to point out, that Stillstorm appearing in person on the station to talk to Alex and "klikblock" Tempo and Beryl, is way over the top, and actually surprising that she's still alive.

She should/would have just used the comms if she felt the matter important enough for her to get personally involved. I mean, she's a Rear Admiral O8 equivalent in an active war zone, doesn't she really have anything better to do? Besides, she should still deeply distrust/hate Alex and with the current Umiak actions would be even more convinced that he's a Umiak agent, unless Tempo and Beryl managed to convince her that he's genuine and no threat.

And one more thing. Should Stillstorm unexpectedly kick the bucket or whatever, the next ranking naval flag officer in system would be Commodore Moonglow, after her - Captain Ashrain and then the violet-haired captain who's name I forget. And Moonglow, I think, was a mizol before getting promoted and thus a more worthy opponent for Tempo.

By the way, I don't think Tempo needs any loopholes. Technically she outranks Stillstorm in any matter other than directly commanding the fleet.

Werra

Post by Werra »

entity2636 wrote:Werra adamantly tries to steer the story away from erotica
Nah, I just like bullying Beryl.
SpoilerShow
Once page 137 releases, check out the /tg/ thread.
entity2636 wrote:Stillstorm appearing in person
I admit, that's somewhat out of line. Anything she needed to do could be done with comms. Her actual reason for her being there can be asumed to be meeting with the station commander. Stillstorm might like to meet her subordinate officers at least once in person.
entity2636 wrote:Besides, she should still deeply distrust/hate Alex and with the current Umiak actions would be even more convinced that he's a Umiak agent, unless Tempo and Beryl managed to convince her that he's genuine and no threat.
It's ambigious whether she knows about the holes in Alex lotai.
entity2636 wrote:And one more thing. Should Stillstorm unexpectedly kick the bucket or whatever, the next ranking naval flag officer in system would be Commodore Moonglow, after her - Captain Ashrain and then the violet-haired captain who's name I forget. And Moonglow, I think, was a mizol before getting promoted and thus a more worthy opponent for Tempo.
Moonglow was a Mizol? That's interesting, never would have guessed. Do we know what Stillstorm was before?
entity2636 wrote: By the way, I don't think Tempo needs any loopholes. Technically she outranks Stillstorm in any matter other than directly commanding the fleet.
I personally think Tempo only outranks Stillstorm when it comes to diplomacy and very special Mizol cases dealing with political dissent. It's not so much about stopping Alex, as it is about stopping the Loroi next to him.

I'm very happy you guys liked that particular story so much. It was a very sudden shift in tone.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Well Entity, we are doing our best, and part of the fun of writing prompts is the jumping back and forth of direction.

Well, I had to look up a bit who the high-ranking Loroi are, and indeed, Stillstorm as being member of the 51st strike group should at a definite siege situation not be in the system anymore. Either because she tried to make the Umiak pay for their incursion, or because she went to neighbouring systems in the hope there's more help to be had there.

The Umiak are not likely to allow war ships to travel within the system unhindered now, and especially not join weapon rich stations to combine their strengths...

But then, the same "rule" would fit (slightly reformulated) on board of a station. The highest ranking Gora-relay officer is the captain of that station, and whatever happens on her station, she gets first dibs....
SpoilerShow
some characters (for my own clarification, and I'll leave it here so that it's easier for me to look up again)
Still-Storm: Commander of the 51st strike group, not part of the Highland-7 transfer crew (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider062.html)
Moonglow: a captain of the 51st strike group, not part of the Highland-7 transfer crew (http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/vie ... 947#p30947)
commander of gora-relay?
That would leave an easy way out for out Mizol. Just declaring that this is a trickery, and demasking the imposter.
But then, telepathy/Sanzai would not have allowed someone to pose as Still-Storm...

So, has the 51st and Gora-relay kept the Alex and his "girls" in the dark about the liberation of the system?

edit: added url -tags to mke the links work
Last edited by Krulle on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Werra wrote:Nah, I just like bullying Beryl.
LOL true, most of us like to pick on her. Probably because most of us like her so much.
Werra wrote:
entity2636 wrote:And one more thing. Should Stillstorm unexpectedly kick the bucket or whatever, the next ranking naval flag officer in system would be Commodore Moonglow, after her - Captain Ashrain and then the violet-haired captain who's name I forget. And Moonglow, I think, was a mizol before getting promoted and thus a more worthy opponent for Tempo.
Moonglow was a Mizol? That's interesting, never would have guessed. Do we know what Stillstorm was before?
It's not explicitly said anywhere, but from her looks, manners and talkativeness I get a strong impression she was a mizol. Ashrain was a teidar, no doubt there. Stillstorm... I'm not sure, either soroin or tenoin, probably the former since she likes melee weapons a lot and is rumored to have an extensive knife or sword collection.

novius

Re: Beacons

Post by novius »

Stillstorm showing up just to make Alex's and co's life unpleasant would have been a bit over the top. Though, while she might have been content to have Alex ferried away with the Clearbrook, als well as some officers she wouldn't stand to be around, one Alex and said officers in the Gora Relay might have been much less palatable for her, so intervention might be in order.

Especially since news about 'that alien' started to make rounds and sent discipline downhill.

But, yes. Plot and motivation will be revealed, and it becomes clear that Tempo did what she did not only to get her own jollies...

It took a while for that turn of events to sink in.

After a few seconds, Alex was secretly happy to actually be able to stay 'tuned out' of the sanzai, since the glances of Beryl, Tempo, even Fireblade and her guards bespoke of a veritable storm of sending going back and forth. And since sanzai, he came to know, can cover quite some distance he was sure the news were already spreading like wildfire around Gora Relay's skeleton crew.

Thanks, Stillstorm. Many thanks. If I hadn't been the talk of the system just before, now I surely am, he thought grimly.

His brooding came to a stop when he felt Tempo's fingers in his back, sneaking themselves under his overall shirt, touching his bare skin.

'Fret not', her thought came into his mind, 'I will not allow her spitefulness to endanger your health. Feel free to send back now - quietly, and only at me - your Lotai should cover us. And don't move. You are amongst friends here, right now, but bet on Stillstorm or her underlings checking the video feed. They shouldn't see me touching you.'

'Sneaky...', he let his admiration bleed into his thought which was answered by a warm glow coming from Tempo. 'Why, thanks.'

'...but what do you mean with health issues?', Alex tacked on. He had a suspicion on what Tempo is referring to, but ...

'Loroi males cannot go without mating encounters for an extended period of time. What counts as an 'extended period' varies between one-sixth and one-half of a tozon. But, serious discomfort ensues even way before ... they expire. Given our physiological similarity, I deem it possible it would be the same with humans, too?'

'I remember. Beryl asked me the same and actually offered to accomodate to any health issues that may arise. But, no, human men don't need to mate, but many do find it rather uncomfortable to go for long periods without', Alex decided for a truthful answer.

'I see. Pity. So we cannot countermand Stillstorm's antics simply based on a medical emergency.'

'I'm pretty sure, were Ensign Byrd right here where I am now he would have put up a heap of bullshit that human men would need frequent mating encounters as well, the more often the better, just to get some.'

'If your colloquialism means 'telling an outrageous lie', then I see what you mean. And, I count it highly in your favor that you chose to stick to the truth, even on the risk of experiencing personal discomfort, rather than telling a lie to gain a short-term advantage. Though....'

Alex felt a series of images flitting through his mind, coming from Tempo, too quick to follow them. Perhaps this is their idea of 'thinking out loud'. But, a particular thought caught his attention.

'Tempo, bear with me for a moment - if she'd do that to a Loroi male - awarding male rights to a specific male to herself and then intentionally not going through with it for, what? Half of a tozon? - and since being the ranking officer and having first dibs, effectively cutting off the male from any other female in her own domain - wouldn't that be akin to slowly murdering him?'

'...', Alex could feel her surprise cutting through the mindscape, prompting him to elaborate.

'I'm sure she wouldn't be the first one to pull such a stunt, and given how you safeguard and protect your men I am quite sure your laws do have provisions in place to offer him a way out of a situation as dire as this.'

'...you may be on to something', Tempo slowly admitted, and Alex felt something like grudging admiration coming from her. 'If you are right, that would be a move worthy of a Mizol. But, have no fear, your status as an envoy might come with its own benefits as well. So we have several angles to work on... but, your idea has some merit...' Tempo added, her last thought laced with vengefulness.

'But, I am wondering. Why would Stillstorm ever sign male rights for you, Beryl and Talon, too, where just signing some for herself would do the trick, too?'

'As a bait. She tempts me to try something, anything at all. That's her way of pouring salt in the wounds. And, it would be oh-so-much sweeter if we actually get to enjoy the selfsame male rights she countersigned. It would irk her that she'd have actually paved the way to enjoy some benefits without risking court martial.'

'Jeez, all that because of me?'

'Not entirely. Stillstorm and I were ... already at odds, even before you entered the scene. Your presence and your Lotai made things much, much worse. Though... without your Lotai it could have been possible, albeit only remotely possible that she would have followed through with her own male rights.'

'Thanks, Tempo, that was a mental image I could have done without', Alex groused. 'But... why are you so intent on getting that ban lifted? It surely isn't just for one-upping Stillstorm.'

'To protect you and Tozet Beryl', came her reply. 'Come again?'

'Allow me to explain. Tozet Beryl's growing infatuation towards you didn't escape my notice. Even back on the Tempest she went through great lengths to not let your condition worsen, but as a Listel, her influence was limited. Here, on the shuttle, being in close quarters, her attachment to you grew to dangerous levels.'

'Dangerous? How so?'

'Were she to go exclusive on you, and you on her, Tozet Beryl would be considered an outcast and mentally unstable, unfit for duty. Without any immediate access to a correctional facility, she would easily have been court-martialed and expelled from the warrior ranks. As for you, it would have been likely that you would face serious repercussions for 'corrupting' one high-ranked officer, and dealt with accordingly.'

'I see... why not telling me that beforehand, before everything went that far?'

'I didn't anticipate how quickly your ... relationship, that's the word? ... evolved. It took literally less than one of your days to go from a chance encounter, by her falling into your lap, to a point where it was just solons away from crossing a line set by law. Tozet Beryl is young, curious and impressionable, but every warrior is mature enough to see the consequences of her actions. Yet she went that far, on your mutual consent.'

'Then, again, why going through that scheme to outwit Stillstorm rather than simply telling us to keep our hands off of each other'

'Captain Jardin. Just because she didn't keep her hands off of you is a reason why we could talk to each other the way we do now. Regardless how you managed it, you and Beryl... and by extension, me and Fireblade included, I presume... do share a special bond that surpasses everything we would have ever suspected when it comes to Humans. What we have is unique, and could turn out to be a valuable asset. I don't wish to squander it because of ... trivialities...', there Tempo's scorn shone through, 'or you facing derision. So since I actually encouraged you to follow that course of action, I wanted you to become comfortable with the thought of being around other Loroi warriors, so that you and Tozet Beryl would not face the stigma of going exclusive on each other. And since I was the Loroi second most familiar to you, I thought myself to be an appropiate choice.'

'That ... makes sense.' Alex admitted. 'You taught me more than just sanzai, I guess?'

Alex felt Tempo smile. 'I hope that it won't make you shy away from future lessons.'

Would it? True, Tempo played her cards close to the chest, but he grew accustomed to it - that's just her - or a Mizol's? - way of doing things. She might have her own agenda, but so far she was always supportive of him.

And, since he actually uses fully formed sanzai with her now, his own Lotai seems to agree with trusting her.

'No.. I don't think so. It may take some time for me to wrap my mind around the other issue, besides sanzai lessons, though.'

'I concur. In the meantime, please stay ... discreet ... with Tozet Beryl. I might be able to make Fireblade and the guards see things our way, but I do not wish to try our luck without dire need. Wait, there's some commotion outside....'

Alex felt himself being shocked to his senses, just the moment the bulkhead slid open, revealing a Loroi in dark armor, similar in the make to Tempo's, but with dark green highlights rather than Tempo's red ones.

'A Mizol Losat - technically I outrank her, but...', Tempo supplied, but he distinctly felt as if Tempo was sizing her up as a possible threat, just before she removed her hand from his skin.

"Greetings. I am Mizol Losat Lomileilar, meaning 'Brightshield'. I came on behalf of Station Commander Cerulean, since she is busy with coordinating the station's defenses, as you might be aware. I understand we need to limit ourselves to spoken words since there is one individual unable to respond to sanzai?"

There Brightshield's blue eyes stopped on seeing Alex, and they slightly widened. "I see. She bade me to find out what sent the whole station's skeleton crew into a frenzy, as well as the rest of the Loroi detachment throughout a contested star system and not being The Enemy, as have one exalted Torrai Lashret Stillstorm pay us a surprise visit, despite having to fight The Enemy left and right."

"So, you are the alien this fuss is all about?", there she looked him up and down with a glance Alex became all too familiar with since his encounter with Talon, but thankfully she refrained from commenting. Because, judging by that look and her stance, any comment she would have made would have been at least a rather lewd one.

On a sidelong glance, he saw Tempo's eyes sending one unmistakable message back. Look, but don't touch.
Last edited by novius on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

novius

Post by novius »

Krulle wrote:But then, the same "rule" would fit (slightly reformulated) on board of a station. The highest ranking Gora-relay officer is the captain of that station, and whatever happens on her station, she gets first dibs....
Woah. I haven't even thought of that when writing the last scene.

Or, maybe my subconscious did. ;)

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

novius wrote:
Torrai Mazeit Stillstorm
Stillstorm's a Lashret ;)

And nice job with making all the little missteps of previous chapters fit nicely into place and make perfect sense.

novius

Post by novius »

entity2636 wrote:
novius wrote:
Torrai Mazeit Stillstorm
Stillstorm's a Lashret ;)

And nice job with making all the little missteps of previous chapters fit nicely into place and make perfect sense.
Who says I hadn't a progress like this already in mind? ;)

Well, apart from the rank. Slipped in the line while looking it up on this page. I'll fix that.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Interesting, the page you linked and page 062 diverge on the spoken name for Torrai Lashret Dellasoni.
(Stillstorm vs. Still-Storm)