Test Forums

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Test Forums

Post by Arioch »

Since we have been having problems with the forums over at Digital Webbing for some time (new users apparently can't get validated), I have set up a test forum here at Well of Souls.

If you would like to help test them out, feel free to post. If you find any problems or run into any difficulties (or have suggestions) please let me know. If you're not able to post here for some reason, you can post over at the old forums if you have a working account there, or you can contact me by email (at arioch@well-of-souls.com).

If you have suggestions for how the forums should be structured or features that you'd like, I'm happy to hear them.

Karst45

Re: Test Forums

Post by Karst45 »

Test one two test *tap on the mic*

there some interresting fonctionality that make it more user friendly

but i would like to know if you have any choices in the Avatar limitation, because 6kb for an avatar.... i got one that blue and white and even at minimum quality still at 24kb That quite limitative.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Also might be a good idea to not set all the message to be approved *cof* control freak *cof* :P

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Test post...

Also, another forum system you might look at is http://www.phorum.org/. It seems reasonably full featured without being bloated. Can't say how it compares to phpBB in terms of administration and maintenance, though.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote:Also might be a good idea to not set all the message to be approved *cof* control freak *cof*
This is why your tests posts are helpful... there are a lot of features on by default and it's not always clear what they do.

This new-user limitation should now be disabled.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

*sniff* avatars...so beautiful
Ashrain is best rain.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote:but i would like to know if you have any choices in the Avatar limitation, because 6kb for an avatar.... i got one that blue and white and even at minimum quality still at 24kb That quite limitative.
Yes, I can set an explicit limit on the file size of the avatar. The idea behind the limit is, of course, because the images are stored here on the server.

24K seems like a lot for a 80x80 image, though. What image format/program are you using? I'll raise the limit to 16K... I think that should be enough. Try GIF format if you can't get it below the limit.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

should definitively stop double posting... on 2 different forum

well it JPG save from photoshop cs4 (cause i got nothing better than use trial version and paint not as simple to set the size of a picture)

ill try something different but otherwise the image is: Image currently 120x120 (or close by) but i reduced it in photoshop.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

well i kind of solved that problem by using photo bucket direct link. so it actually PB that host it so it dont care about the size of the file as long as the image size is correct.

should i try and see if i can put animation?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

This is 8kb as a GIF:

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:This is 8kb as a GIF:

oh ok nice so Gif take less place? well i always tought it was the JPG i stand corrected. anyway i solved this problem another way ;)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

JPEG is not very efficient for small images like avatars.

I was able to remove the "new user" status from everyone, so hopefully you shouldn't need your posts approved anymore.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

yep i dont have to do that anymore, i received the message about my approval.

btw i think one of my post got deleted.

NVM i suppose you have increased the number of post per page, cause my last comment was on the previous page. That what got me confused.

Edit: Well since am the last poster, i should stop spamming and just re-edit

Anyway tested the delete post. You cant enter a reason for the deletion, with is not that bad, just wanted to point this out, just in case you like knowing if a post was deleted and why.

Seem that if your the only one posting on a topic and you delete it, the post will be completely removed. nice nice oh nice ill try the Notification thingy too could use someone to write a message after this one, and then quote this post. see if it work.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

One thing to be careful about when making avatars in photoshop is that photoshop likes to add extra data into the file as part of its own formatting. So, what should be a 4 kb .jpg ends up being much larger. You can either "save for web," or use a different picture program to save it without the extra data.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

nice didnt knew that

well the notify me when a reply is posted work fine, though it would be nice if that actually wrote a Private message instead of an e-mail.

btw i dont remember that image in your avatar, did you just make it?

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

I have an Avatar! <looks around, get nervous>
Are there a dress code or something?
Supporter of forum RPG

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

bunnyboy wrote:I have an Avatar! <looks around, get nervous>
Are there a dress code or something?
If your any other color than blue you need at least pants.

If your blue then no dress code apply. That mean your forbidden to wear a dress.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

A long while ago I made this so I went back and cleaned it up for use as an avatar.

I don't know if there's a dress code, other than what is outlined in the terms of service about not posting stuff that is illegal etc etc. (But I would hope that the imagery is at least safe for work.)

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Well anyway it kind of a private forum so the code that apply are what Arioch tolerate. so continue the way you were doing on the other forum and you shouldnt have problem if you didn't had some previously.

BTW tested the report system for Arioch to play with. Just saying so not every one spam him ;)

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Karst45 wrote:If your any other color than blue you need at least pants.

If your blue then no dress code apply. That mean your forbidden to wear a dress.
I have blue background and long ears. Is that sufficient?
Supporter of forum RPG