Writing Prompts

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: Writing Prompts

Post by Werra »

Sorry, already on it. It looks like a race then. I guess we can both post as spoilers and then people either mutually agree or we draw pistols at dawn.
SpoilerShow
Beryl gave him a reassuring look and prodded him on. With stuttering gears in his brain Alex managed to say: „If it's okay with you, Beryl, then I agree to that, Brightshield.“

The Mizol was delighted to hear that. She stood up and came straight in for a close body hug. He felt her body press against his. He had seen her fully naked already, but that tight uniform of hers she wore left just enough to the imagination.

As her lips found his, his brain gave out totally. He couldn't believe this was happening. Back in the academy the students had watched an ancient series about space exploration. Guessing when the next alien woman would fall for the dashing captain had turned into a drinking game. Alex wondered how drunk future students would get thanks to him.

Brightshield let go off him and Beryl took over. Alex felt weak in the knees and so they ended up on the bed together. He proped himself up with his elbows, Beryl lying on his chest. Her smile genuine and wide. Until she fell asleep.

Confused Alex looked up. Brightshield stood behind Beryl, her hands on her neck. She pulled the woman from him and placed her softly on the floor. Beryl peacefully snored.

As his brain screamed: „Mizol trick!“ at him, Brightshield had already slid up onto him. Her arms behind his back, her chest on his.

She was amused and very happy. „How positively devious of you, Captain Jardin. You played along excellently. You gave us the perfect cover.“

„I...what?“ Alex said.

„Don't you remember? You invited me to your cabin in the mess hall to cover this matter of first contact. You said you had thought of something?“

Alex did remember. The matter had completely passed from his mind. The clinicalness with which Brightshield had switched gears was astounding. „She is a Mizol“, said a part of his brain. „You just learned that the other Mizol manipulated your thoughts.“

„Uh,yes, I remembered some things. What did you do to Beryl?“ Right now Alex didn't care about anything that happened 400 years ago.

Brightshield assuaged him: „Nevermind about Beryl. She is just sleeping. She will wake up completely fine. What did you think of?“

Alex wanted to get out under Brightshield, but the Loroi was on top of him and had her legs interlocked with his. So he kept playing along.

„I remembered some crackpot theories that went around pre-starflight. About aliens that had visited earth before, buildings that were theorized to have been built by aliens and such things. Maybe you can show me some of the Soia-Liron architecture?“

Brightshield nodded and withdrew from him, seemingly oblivious to his distress. While she got out her data pad, she asked: „What are crackpot theories?“

„Crazy theories“ Alex explained.

„What an imaginative metaphor, Enzin.“

Then she handed him her data pad and laid down besides him so she could see the screen too.Alexwas conscious of her still touching him this way even through both their clothes.

There were a number of pictures on the display. Of houses, halls and buildings. Alex presumed this was Soia architecture. He flipped through the pictures but saw nothing that jumped out at him. No pyramids, no greek collums, no egyptian statues.

„No, this doesn't look like anything we have on earth. I never thought I would say this, but I wish I had paid closer attention to these crazy ramblings.“

Brightshield looked a bit disappointed. „A shame, Soia ruins are quite common on many worlds.“
Alex told her: „I'm not feeling good about you putting Beryl to sleep like that.“

Apologizing Brightshield answered: „I'm sorry about that. You have me here primarily in my function as Mizol. The matter of first contact is top secret, so I had to take firm measures. I assure you that Tozet Beryl will wake up unharmed.“

„So this was all just to talk to me in secrecy?“

„Of course not, Enzin. I meant every word of what I told you – about our flight from Gora and otherwise.“ She looked deeply into Alex eyes. „A shame that Beryl visited you for the third night in a row.“

Alex had to ignore the sparkle in her blue eyes. „Yes, that surprisingly changed the mood.“

„Are we still friends, Enzin?“ came Brightshields worried reply.

He had to take a breath and consider, but finally Alex decided. „Yes, I suppose so. I believe you really didn't mean any harm.“

„I'm happy to hear that.“ She tightly hugged him. Then: „I didn't know you could lower your Lotai.“

The remark hit him like a whip, so unexpected was it. „I didn't know either and it took time and training. It was more a surprise discovery than anything else. How do you...“

„Know? Enzin, I'm not blind. You and Beryl clearly had a discussion over Sanzai when you entered. Who else knows?“

„Fireblade and Tempo.“

She froze at that. „Enzin, I hope you know what you are doing. I am your friend and consider that in my duties. Please be careful.“

Alex gave the Mizol an incredulous look. „I consider Tempo a friend too. She has done me a few big favours already. But thank you for the warning nonetheless.“

„I'm happy to hear that. It's reassuring. You'll be fine.“ Then she leaned over and gave his cheek a kiss. „Good luck tomorrow on your first day.“

After she was gone, Alex remained on his bed. The past few minutes had been sobering. He hoped most of the details of his mission would be kept out of the history books.

A soft snoore from the floor reminded him of Beryl. He had no idea how to explain any of this to her. Considering the trouble his lowered inhibitions had brought him, a stern talk with Tempo was also in order.

He carefully lifted Beryl back into bed. Then he placed his blanket over them both and put an arm around her. On the plus side, he'd be getting a full night of sleep thanks to Brightshield.
Last edited by Werra on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

I'm just going to move the stories via quotes and links. Feel free to post here until the new threads are up.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Alright you can have it, make it interesting :P
SpoilerShow
I just had an idea of Alex and Brightshield having a serious one on one conversation after denying both of them. Eventual breaching of the Lotai for Brightshield as well who would apologize for seeing Alex only carnally and not as a proper highly intelligent and passionate male with his own wishes and needs. Some teasing about his mental fortitude about wanting females so much and yet denying the encounter anyway and the first success in defending against some mild mental probing. Then cut to Alex contacting Fireblade via the console for scheduling his next lesson.
EDIT: Better outcome than I expected :)
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Werra

Post by Werra »

dragoongfa wrote:Alright you can have it, make it interesting :P
SpoilerShow
I just had an idea of Alex and Brightshield having a serious one on one conversation after denying both of them. Eventual breaching of the Lotai for Brightshield as well who would apologize for seeing Alex only carnally and not as a proper highly intelligent and passionate male with his own wishes and needs. Some teasing about his mental fortitude about wanting females so much and yet denying the encounter anyway and the first success in defending against some mild mental probing. Then cut to Alex contacting Fireblade via the console for scheduling his next lesson.
Hm...had I known before I could have included that almost fully. But you know me, Beryl has went unbullied for too long.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

New Frontiers is fully moved. Please place new posts there.

Working on Beacons now.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

EDIT: It seems like Orion1836 already moved your post so it is now canon. Here is what I had managed to write before realizing that.
SpoilerShow

Alex took his hand away from Beryl and took a step away from her to break the connection before taking a deep breath and counted to 10 before deciding to solve the issue as diplomatically as possible.

"I think that this has gone on far enough, I have failed to take into account established Loroi tradition in regards to my interactions with all of you." He paused at that, both of them looking at him questioningly before he continued. "It would not be good for morale and discipline if I look like I am spending too much time with any particular warrior. That is not my desire, especially now that I am considered part of the crew. As such I ask both of you to respect my desire to be left alone tonight after I clear a few things with Brightshield privately."

Beryl made to say something at that but she stopped after he gave her a gentle reassuring nod.

"I understand Captain Jardin." Beryl said before giving a scornful look at Brightshield who just replied with a smug smile.

God damn it woman

Alex thought as he opened the door for Beryl.

"Don't worry, I will just talk with her." He reassured Beryl as she passed by him, her anger diminishing instantly in response.

"Now Losat Brightshield..." He begun to say as he turned to look at her. "I think that everyone on the ship is now aware that I am part of the crew and as such it is my obligation to maintain certain standards of behavior and to ensure that my actions are not cause for a break in discipline. As a Mizol I am sure that you understand the importance of maintaining proper discipline in a warzone."

Brightshield's face went through expressions faster than he thought possible as he said that, first it was smug happiness, then worry, then incredulity and now just rested in resigned professionalism.

"Indeed, I understand the importance." She replied and he just stared at her until she continued. "I also understand that I should have contacted you first in order to avoid a misunderstanding to occur in case you had invited someone else to join you for the night."

Not what I wanted to hear but it will have to do. Alex thought while nodding in approval.

"Good, I am glad we understand each other." He replied before remembering the other thing he wanted to discuss with her. "Have you found any further information about the issue with the pictures you showed me?"

"Not really, as I have said previously the files on Gora Relay were partially corrupted and you saw everything that there was to see. I will need to have access to an intact copy of the files in order to learn anything more about him and the reasons why this was classified to such a degree." Brightshield replied, her expression now one of stone cold professionalism.

"I feared that would be the case. Any idea how he may have gotten there?"

"I originally thought that he was somehow transported to Deinar by an advanced third party, the Historian in particular, but 400 tozons ago a Historian ship couldn't go undetected to Deinar by both our farsensing network and the standard surveillance systems in place. If a third party abducted him from your homeworld and then left him on Deinar then they are unimaginably more advance than the Union to be able to do that." Brightshield replied.

"So a dead end then?"

"For now." Brightshield replied. "Is there anything else Captain Jardin?"

Alex just stared at her, yes she was probably catty with Beryl in Sanzai and cost him her company for the night but she had done right by him so far, had broken the news about the lone human on Deinar and she seemed to be genuinely appreciative and honest towards him; he couldn't just brush her off.

"Yes there is, I want to try something." He said as he offered her his right hand, she just looked at it and then at him perplexed for a moment before grasping it with her own right hand, smiling broadly as she did so.

"What is it that you want to try?"
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Ok... phew, Beacons has been moved in its entirely. Please put new story posts in that thread and use this one for discussion and new writing prompts.
entity2636 wrote: If I get the timeline correct, Nathan is an 1750-1800's frontiersman and a very young one. Back then the electric light was still in the lab stages of development, typewriters weren't invented yet, photography hasn't been invented yet and the most advanced piece of technology he could realistically have seen with his own eyes, would be a steam engine. I find his reaction to Tin using a holoprojector more than unbelievable. He reacts too modern, like someone from the 20th century.

More likely he would have ran away and cowered in a corner, throwing crosses in the air and frantically reciting prayers because he would see it as witchcraft, like Satan himself walking up to him and asking him to light his cigar. People weren't stupid back then, but technology was almost nonexistent, everyone was deeply religious and everything one didn't understand, was written off either as the work of god or witchcraft.

It would be similar to some Native Americans, Jamaicans and unspecified other primitive cultures of the 19th century being scared of photograpy because they believed it would steal their souls, or trying to explain the transistor to someone from the Sentinel Islands.
Looking back, I could have put in more of a reaction on Nathaniel's part, but as novius said, I see him as having 'gone with the flow' for the past two years now. His weird shit-o-meter has been pegged for so long, he doesn't even pay attention to it anymore. If anything, I see him as looking on the holoprojector with wonder and fascination, if anything. I had planned to write in a little more of that during his lessons when he got a chance to interact with the device at a more 'normal' time.

Of course, each writer can interpret Nathaniel as they see fit, but I did not see his family as the overly religious type. The frontiersmen were a slightly different breed than the more established colonists further to the East at the time. The fiercely independent souls that would knowingly set up fortified settlements within easy striking distance of the natives were not the sort who built their lives around the church. Odds are, his father was raised a Presbyterian, but is not practicing. Nathan may have been baptized as an infant, but has likely never been to church other than that. Growing up, his family likely said grace before meals, and he may have been taught basic Protestant dogma by his mother, but that was probably the extent of Nathan's religious upbringing.

Now, he may very well have a strong set of beliefs when it comes to propriety (appropriate dress, traditional gender roles, etc), but that would come from cultural influences independent of religious dogma.

I imagined his father as a Scottish version of Daniel Boone who went to Ohio instead of Kentucky. He would have made the trip over from Scotland as a very young man, perhaps running away from something. He would have learned his trade and met his wife in the coastal cities before pushing west in search of an independent life. Nathaniel was likely not born on the frontier, but his earliest memories start there.

He certainly does not have a formal education, but for the purposes of the story, I had him learn reading and writing from his mother, which would make sense, especially with all the time they'd be spending together after his father went to war. Speaking French and a smattering of Native languages makes sense given his location and the necessity of those skills to survive.

Nathan has most certainly never been exposed to even the natal science fiction of his time. We're nearly fifty years away from Frankenstein, after all. I would say that he thinks of where he is now as simply "Somewhere Else." I don't know if the concept of another planet would occur to him, but he knows Earth certainly does not have two moons or any kind of the plant/animal life that he has been seeing. Naturally, the animals he has been encountering are Soia in origin; whether hoppers, poison claws, etc, were native to Deinar or not is transparent to him.

The first year he was alone was likely *very* terrifying, given that nothing made sense, looked right, or even sat well in his stomach. He did not need to build a cabin to survive (there are far easier forms of shelter available), but I see him as choosing to do so to bring some aspect of normalcy or familiarity into his life.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

@dragoongfa

It was the difference of 7 minutes, lol, and I was just grabbing and posting. If you want to put yours there, be my guest. If it directly conflicts, just put it in spoilers and mark it as a side story or something. From here on out, the story inputs go over there. I don't decide what is canon... though I did omit the spoilered Tempo mind rape section from earlier since it was both submitted as a 'possible' option and never really fit with everything else.

Werra

Post by Werra »

I'd actually would like to post new parts here. So that we can discuss here and keep the other thread as pure text.

We might want to decide to mash together two parts into one for example.

Warringrose

Post by Warringrose »

Imma rant a bit, I apologies in advance.
SpoilerShow
I would like to point out that Tempo altered Alex's mind without his knowledge or consent. Her intentions are irrelevant (if anything her comical child-like arrogance makes the action worse). This nullifies any and all usefulness of humanity and nullifies any and all ability for any sort of peaceful interaction between these two peoples. When word of this act gets out (as it must: Alex MUST REPORT THIS OR HE IS A TRAITOR), that a Loroi altered a human's mind because she thought his mind inconvenient to her plans, it would result in humanity having no choice but to join the Umiak and exterminate the Loroi. To the last. This action is simply unacceptable. It simply cannot happen and be simply "brushed off". At the very least Tempo can have NO FURTHER INTERACTIONS WITH ALEX ANYMORE. He never should have taken lessons with her in the first place after this act becomes known to him, he can learn from someone who isn't trained in telepathic brain rape, the slow and sure way, the Loroi's time table be damned. They should consider themselves lucky that Alex doesn't self-terminate after this nonsense. I mean it's been what, a few days since Tempo's pulled this stunt and he's figured this out already? Less? Goddamnit Tempo, that's some shoddy ass brain surgery there if it got caught that fast.

Seriously guys I mean come on now, he get's mind raped, FIGURES IT OUT and just what, waves is off? Come on. If it was me the first thing I would think was that Tempo had made me LIKE the fact that I was mind raped and any positive thought I had to having my brain modified came directly from her. THIS ACTION DESTROYS TRUST. There can be no trust after this one action.

A suggestion: Make Alex's psi-shielding totally invulnerable in the extreme, Alex can sense and interact with Loroi thoughts, the Loroi can have NO INTERACTIONS with his. It's the only way this relationship can work out. The Loroi are children in a candy store when it comes to alien minds, the only way they can keep their grubby little mitts off of human's minds (and thus dig themselves out of the pit they are in) is if the option to mess with Humans heads is off the table. No Loroi should allow Tempo to be in a room with Alex after this, THEY NEED HIM and his mind INTACT.

The Loroi will just have to suck it up that there is a new kid on the block that's stronger and better than them when it comes to psionics. Oh, and more courageous and honorable too. Maybe it'll lean 'em to not be such nasty little sweat goblins to everyone. Jebus!
Great story by the way, keep up the amazing work, I am hooked.
Last edited by Warringrose on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

SpoilerShow
I partially agree, although it isn't exactly set in stone that Tempo did this knowingly or unknowingly/subconciously and she only picked up that she did something after the fact; i.e. perhaps she unwittingly changed something because her subconscious perceived Alex's mind as a Loroi male's and then proceeded to 'repair' something she perceived 'broken' on autopilot.

Personally I was planning to have Tempo's implantation to be practically ineffective because Alex already 'thought' of all Loroi as potential mates and all she did was like painting black paint over a black painted wall. Hence Fireblade's digs about Alex fantasizing about ALL of his guards while in the brig.
EDIT: Calling dibs on the next part so Tempo may fix this and get some laughs out of Alex while Beryl and Tempo talk shop as they fiddle with his mind.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Warringrose wrote:Imma rant a bit, I apologies in advance.
SpoilerShow
I would like to point out that Tempo altered Alex's mind without his knowledge or consent. Her intentions are irrelevant (if anything her comical child-like arrogance makes the action worse). This nullifies any and all usefulness of humanity and nullifies any and all ability for any sort of peaceful interaction between these two peoples. When word of this act gets out (as it must: Alex MUST REPORT THIS OR HE IS A TRAITOR), that a Loroi altered a human's mind because she thought his mind inconvenient to her plans, it would result in humanity having no choice but to join the Umiak and exterminate the Loroi. To the last. This action is simply unacceptable. It simply cannot happen and be simply "brushed off". At the very least Tempo can have NO FURTHER INTERACTIONS WITH ALEX ANYMORE. He never should have taken lessons with her in the first place after this act becomes known to him, he can learn from someone who isn't trained in telepathic brain rape, the slow and sure way, the Loroi's time table be damned. They should consider themselves lucky that Alex doesn't self-terminate after this nonsense. I mean it's been what, a few days since Tempo's pulled this stunt and he's figured this out already? Less? Goddamnit Tempo, that's some shoddy ass brain surgery there if it got caught that fast.

Seriously guys I mean come on now, he get's mind raped, FIGURES IT OUT and just what, waves is off? Come on. If it was me the first thing I would think was that Tempo had made me LIKE the fact that I was mind raped and any positive thought I had to having my brain modified came directly from her. THIS ACTION DESTROYS TRUST. There can be no trust after this one action.

A suggestion: Make Alex's psi-shielding totally invulnerable in the extreme, Alex can sense and interact with Loroi thoughts, the Loroi can have NO INTERACTIONS with his. It's the only way this relationship can work out. The Loroi are children in a candy store when it comes to alien minds, the only way they can keep their grubby little mitts off of human's minds (and thus dig themselves out of the pit they are in) is if the option to mess with Humans heads is off the table. No Loroi should allow Tempo to be in a room with Alex after this, THEY NEED HIM and his mind INTACT.

The Loroi will just have to suck it up that there is a new kid on the block that's stronger and better than them when it comes to psionics. Oh, and more courageous and honorable too. Maybe it'll lean 'em to not be such nasty little sweat goblins to everyone. Jebus!
SpoilerShow
Your point of view seems (god, I'm starting to sound like a loroi) a bit extreme. The way I saw it, Tempo didn't so much implant something into Alex's mind, but rather brought up something that was already there. Alex certainly has been having plenty of dirty thoughts about every second loroi woman he saw, yet his training, sense of duty and good manners have pushed those thoughts back. When training Alex in telepathy, Tempo almost certainly encountered these thoughts, same as Fireblade did, and maybe even unknowing to herself, her own thoughts and desires leaked into his mind.

From another perspective, I could imagine information received via sanzai, i.e. your conversation partner's thoughts being placed directly into your mind, would stick better than something you read or hear, these thoughts don't appear to get "processed and filtered" through the receiver's thought processes. I think it was Tempo who at one point explained to Alex that while it is perfectly normal for two loroi to be close friends, sexually they are polygamous and having a sex partner all for oneself is frowned upon. Reason being that there simply aren't enough men for everyone and loroi women have to share. The concept having been transmitted directly into Alex's mind probably did stick and lower his inhibitions a bit. You know, when in Rome, do as the romans do.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Since I was the one who wrote it in originally, allow me to explain my thought process.
SpoilerShow
In my imagination Tempo did not mindrape Alex or alter his perception in any way. In fact, that she didn't do that was supposed to be the impressive part. She deliberately picked an example memory from her own past that would reveal to Alex how her hot, sweaty teen body felt like. A bit like subliminal marketing. Such a personal, intensive memory would surely stick to Alex brain. It was a form of teasing him and showing off her goods so to speak. That it was also plausibly deniable as part of her training was all the better for Tempo. No more immoral than clever marketing in my opinion.

As for the whole genocide of blue elves thing...if you're mortified at the thought of mental manipulation to the point of advocating for genocide, you need to ask yourself what you would do if humanity wasn't this super special species with perfect Lotai. The idea of genociding a species just because their values are different according to their means seems silly to me.

Alex would have had to be aware and mindful of such methods for his whole stay without his natural Lotai. That he now feels serious drawbacks to opening up to the literal psionic Gestapo is a very good thing for the story. And a big part of the reason why not one of the Loroi takes him seriously as an ambassador.

But I don't see this development as insurmountable in the story. It may or should cause bad blood between Tempo and Alex, but nothing that can't be overcome. If push comes to shove, Tempo might remind Alex that Beryl is a little shit that has never before interacted with an alien mind and therefore got it wrong.
"Besides, Enzin, that wasn't the part I mindraped."
"What then?"
"What is your favourite colour?"
"Uh...orange?"
"Are you sure?"
Feel free to disregard it as the ravings of a madman. But if you're talking about genocide, perhabs you should listen to the German.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Oh... I am definitely putting that in the next part for the lolz.

Warringrose

Post by Warringrose »

SpoilerShow
If a Loroi can have a stray thought and totally remake something as culturally/socially ingrained as sexual partnerships there is a problem. A serious problem. The kind of problem which terminates any and all form of trust problem. This would have extremely negative consequences to answer for, half the human population is female. Half of humanity is basically getting told "Yeah you don't matter here, shove off" and I know a good portion of the men would be with them on this issue. And this is just one potential issue, it doesn't change the fact that Tempo reached into Alex's brain and changed him. That is about as big of a violation of person hood as it gets. People are their memories and beliefs, to reprogram those memories and beliefs erases the person that was and recreates a totally different entity. That seriously messed up on Tempo's part that she did this without consulting or even thinking to consult any of her own people on this issue. She has waaaaay too much power and freedom, she needs to be reigned in. HARD.

Could you even begin to imagine what the Loroi response would be if a human or any other telepath reached into a Loroi mind and messed around inside it? I don't think for a second that that human telepath's "good intentions" would mean a damn to Stillstorm or Fireblade. They would be lucky if the Loroi killed them quickly.

Werra

Post by Werra »

SpoilerShow
Warringrose wrote:If a Loroi can have a stray thought and totally remake something as culturally/socially ingrained as sexual partnerships there is a problem. A serious problem. The kind of problem which terminates any and all form of trust problem. This would have extremely negative consequences to answer for, half the human population is female. Half of humanity is basically getting told "Yeah you don't matter here, shove off" and I know a good portion of the men would be with them on this issue. And this is just one potential issue, it doesn't change the fact that Tempo reached into Alex's brain and changed him. That is about as big of a violation of person hood as it gets. People are their memories and beliefs, to reprogram those memories and beliefs erases the person that was and recreates a totally different entity. That seriously messed up on Tempo's part that she did this without consulting or even thinking to consult any of her own people on this issue. She has waaaaay too much power and freedom, she needs to be reigned in. HARD.

Could you even begin to imagine what the Loroi response would be if a human or any other telepath reached into a Loroi mind and messed around inside it? I don't think for a second that that human telepath's "good intentions" would mean a damn to Stillstorm or Fireblade. They would be lucky if the Loroi killed them quickly.
I think you're transcribing human morality on an alien mind. The Loroi have clearly a different view on using their psionics than us.

Alex also wasn't remade by a stray thought. At worst his behaviour was influenced in a certain way by a carefully implanted memory, at best he just got a VR view of Tempos body.

And yes, I can easily see the Loroi reacting to a human doing that to them. The warrior would likely be ridiculed or seen as foolish for allowing an alien skin to skin access to her body. It wouldn't be that outlandish as to warrant such a massive reaction.
Btw, we are using similar means of influencing even today. Stores are using pheromones for example. That's something bypassing the conscious mind completely. This behaviour isn't that far out there for our morality. We just don't have the means.

novius

Post by novius »

SpoilerShow
The jury is still out there whether Tempo did it fully consciously or not. After all, her query where she sent that 'little extra' had been sort of a subconscious thing as well. And yes, Alex already had some idle fantasies about the Loroi in general and his 'inner circle' in particular, something even Tempo learned of. And she actually encouraged to follow that line of thoughts herself in the first lessons.

Hmmm. Perhaps this interaction is the mental equivalent of pheromones. And we do know how they could influence behavior...

Huh. Perhaps they come to the conclusion that Humans and Loroi are as susceptible to each other as Golim are to Loroi? And that contact between the two species do have to be conducted in a controlled fashion?

Thing is, Loroi already have something that is highly unsettling to us humans - their telepathy. It bridges any barriers and even by its nature allows direct access to the target's mind. Especially since the thoughts being sent already contain their 'inherent truth' in them which makes it difficult to gainsay them. So this is another aspect where Loroi do have much different measure in morality than we humans have.

Of course it takes a lot for a Loroi to see that what might be fringe behavior at most in their eyes could be regarded as a gross transgression of privacy by humans.
Another idea is that she did place her little suggestion - suggestion, not coercion - deliberately. Of course, to 'smoothen' things around Alex a bit and maybe for her own benefit, but it could very well be a part of a 'coming of age trial'. As in, he'd have passed her test if he pinpoints that suggestion in his own mind.

Come to think of this, it could be an integral part of the Mizol warrior trials. Their instructors/proctors place some timed suggestion in the initate's minds, perhaps for them to do something completely embarrassing, and if they actually follow the suggestion on their trials at the end of the seclusion, they failed. Because they didn't find the suggestion in their own minds and didn't remove it.

Yes, that could be a typical normal thing for Mizol to do. And Tempo might have had no second thoughts about doing that to Alex, since he did agree to training... and if he's going to have some fun (perhaps with Tempo herself, too) and not hurting his own and Tozet Beryl's standing by limiting himself to her, what'd be the harm?

Werra

Post by Werra »

That would also be a great way to take the story. I hadn't expected that to turn into this big thing. Let's see what dragoon makes out of it.

I had expected for Tempo to sabotage Beryl by making Alex think of Tempo whenever Beryl tried for him or something.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

I see Tempo as being, well, a Mizol, but not being so maliciously. Regardless of how her actions are interpreted, I do not believe she ever meant harm, and the reveal of that through sanzai should temper any negative reaction on Alex's part.

Also, this has been written as a generally light-hearted affair. I see no problem with the occasional serious turn, but a shift to grimdark just wouldn't fit the tone.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

All right, lets see if I can write this down because I couldn't concentrate on my own story because of this:

He didn't expect explaining to Beryl what happened to be easy but he also didn't expect her to snap the way she did the instant he begun explaining.

"The damn Mizol put me to sleep so she could mate with you alone?" Beryl sent angrily.

"No she just wanted to brief me about something important."

"And she couldn't just say so instead of barging into your cabin and wait for you on your bed unannounced? Beryl replied, her anger flaring even further.

"She also entertained the possibility of mating with me afterwards.

"Then why did she put me to sleep if she wanted to mate as well?

"Because what she wanted to brief me about is classified and thought best that you shouldn't be aware of it. He tried to explain while keeping the thoughts of the discussion he had with Brightshield hidden, Beryl shifted her anger to him as she realized that.

"I am a Listel Tozet assigned to the 51st Strike Group, I have intelligence stored in my mind that a Losat can't even dream to get proper clearance for and you are hiding it from me?" Beryl exploded at him.

"I am sorry Beryl but I promised I would keep the information to myself after she divulged to me in good faith. The only other who may know of this aboard this ship is Tempo and I have yet to talk with her about this. He explained as best as he could before sensing her anger subside slightly to be overtaken by an overwhelming sense of curiosity.

"I will to talk with Tempo about this and if she doesn't know I will make Brightshield tell me everything." Beryl sent as she stood up and went for the cabin's console.

"Beryl wait..."

"I will also have her remove whatever she put in your mind. It has caused enough trouble for us already! Beryl snapped back at him as she typed something in the console, her anger about Brightshield putting her to sleep overriding the decision they had come to earlier.

"What is it Enzin?... Beryl?" He heard Tempo's voice after she picked the call.

"Yes, You must come to Enzin's cabin; all three of us have something important to discuss!" Beryl said angrily before cutting off the connection. Alex heard the console blip a couple of times but Beryl typed something to it before it stopped.

"Tempo will be here in a few solons." Beryl sent after a couple of minutes of silence.

"Beryl..." Alex tried to calm her down but she was having none of it.

"No, I am a Listel Tozet, the only Listels with higher security clearances than me are the archivists and the senior archivists of my Caste and they are aware of intelligence that is beyond anything a Losat can dream of!" Beryl ranted.

"Wait a moment, are you angry at Brightshield just because she is aware of classified material that you aren't?" Alex asked.

"Yes and because she is taking advantage of whatever Tempo put to your head! I wouldn't be surprised if the two Mizol actually conspired about this! Beryl ranted again.

"You females are going to be the death of me for sure." Alex commented dryly and checked at the time with his datapad, he still had about an hour of free time left before the scheduled morning drills with Razorthorn would begin.

"Your drills are with Ragan Razorthorn? This was her cabin in case you didn't know about it." Beryl sent as he thought of that.

"Damn, so that's why she still hates me..."

"That's the way she is with everyone, her spoken name is a very apt descriptor for her. The rest of the crew often joked that Fireblade would probably calm down if she mated but Razorthorn wouldn't" For some reason he couldn't help but chuckle at that before the door opened to let an obviously annoyed inside.

"What is it so important for us three to speak about Tozet Beryl?" Tempo asked vocally.

"I want to be briefed about the classified materials that Enzin and Losat Brightshield have been talking about." Beryl replied.

"Did you inform someone unauthorized about classified intelligence Enzin?" Tempo asked angrily.

"I didn't explain anything to her, I just told her that it was classified." Alex replied defensively.

"I am a Listel Tozet of the 51st Strike Group, I want to know what is so important that Losat Brightshield, you and Enzin know about while I don't!" Beryl cut in with her usual stubbornness.

"The issue is technically beyond both yours and mine classifications Tozet Beryl, Losat Brightshield fulfilled the criteria of learning about it by mere coincidence and has informed both me and Enzin out of professional courtesy and there is currently no reason to involve a Listel of any classification in the matter." Tempo replied sternly enough to make Beryl relent. "I would appreciate that neither of you discuss this issue any further, even passing the knowledge of the issue existing at the first is a breach of confidentiality."

"I understand." Alex replied while sensing how angry Beryl was with everything even before she spoke.

"We also have to talk about whatever you implanted in his mind during his training with you." Beryl said.

"That's is a personal matter between me and him Tozet Beryl." Tempo replied, letting a tinge of anger show in her voice.

"It is not personal if it is affecting his behavior towards us." Beryl pointed out, catching Tempo by surprise.

"Enzin, do you honestly believe that I implanted something in your mind that would in any way affect your behavior?" Tempo asked him in turn.

"I honestly don't know, it has been bothering me since I realized that you sent something to back at Gora Relay." Alex replied and Tempo just sighed before walking up to him and Beryl so they could connect via Sanzai.

"What I sent to Enzin was a personal and intimate message from me to him, I didn't even realize that I had sent it until after I did so but it is not something that would affect his behavior." Tempo explained truthfully but Beryl couldn't just accept it.

"What did you send him Mizol?" Beryl insisted, drawing a mental sigh out of Tempo who just turned her attention to Alex at that.

"Enzin will you allow us to see and analyze what I sent you back then so I may truly convince both of you that it wasn't in any way harmful to you?" Tempo asked and he agreed instantly without thinking.

"The first clue that the message isn't harmful is the fact that his subconscious still trusts me despite me sending it to him but if that isn't enough lets see exactly how his mind handled it." Tempo begun as the two of them each took one of his hands in their own in order to fully connect with him.

"Whatever you did it lowered his inhibitions and his perception of his moral code." Beryl explained accusingly as he sensed both of them peeking into a particular portion of his mind.

"No Listel, this particular thought about the lessening of his inhibitions and the perception of his moral code that you point out isn't a result of mental manipulation but simple mental erosion due to stress and his subconscious mental adoption to his new social environment. It's natural due to the sudden traumatic changes he has gone through in so little time." Tempo explained but Beryl was still not convinced.

"But how about the mental connections that link this to your implanted message?"

"I will show you exactly what I implanted for you to realize your Listel foolishness but first I would like for Enzin to confirm if he thought that my message affected him after he realized it."

"I did think of it that way." Alex confirmed.

"Were you in any way alerted with an instinctual sense of panic at the realization or did you assume that it must have been something that must have done this to you?" Tempo asked him again.

"I assumed that it was something that you did."

"Now Listel, what is the first sign of detecting mental manipulation and suggestions?" Tempo asked.

"The subconscious reacts with a sense of panic when the conscious mind realizes it." Beryl replied automatically.

"His subconscious mind didn't react like this but the conscious mind assumed it and made the mental connections with his stress and mental adoption changes because he couldn't make sense of them otherwise." Tempo explained.

"Can you explain that to me please?" Alex asked. What do you mean by mental erosion due to stress and mental adoption?

"Both the mind and body don't like to feel stressful. Mental erosion due to stress is the natural damage the mind suffers when under constant stress without a positive outlet to counter it. Mental adoption is the natural acclimation process of each individual when thrown in a new environment. It's easy to see how this mental erosion has affected you, you are surrounded exclusively by females that you find extremely attractive, you are under near constant stress and you lack a positive social outlet for lack of a better description. This culmination of stress is why you had your mental breakdown the other night. Tempo sent.

"Mental breakdown?" Beryl asked.

"When I told him about Stillstorm's desire to keep him on Tempest his stress triggered a mental breakdown due a very important memory that was triggered to the surface."

"And where was I? Why wasn't I informed? Beryl asked.

"You were soundly sleeping in his cabin, I wanted to wake you up so he could recuperate alone but he insisted otherwise. I accepted his wishes because you are a good companion to him. Tempo replied.

"Thanks... so what did you send him."

"Nothing that a male interested in us would object too..." Tempo moved her attention to an other part of his mind and suddenly a really... carnal memory of hers came to him, a promise of blissful relief with her body and really precise... descriptions about what she would do with him the moment he would accept her as his mate.

"That's..." Beryl begun to think.

"A sex letter? Really?" Alex asked while trying to fight back his arousal after going through it.

"Yes... that's the closest analogy you have to relate with such a private sending." Tempo confirmed.

"That's not something you send to someone you work professionally! Alex chastised her.

"I didn't send it consciously and I have already regretted sending it after realizing that you are not just an outlet for carnal desires, you are a warrior suffering under the stress of your duties. We have to treat you with the appropriate respect while also accepting your desires on how best to fulfill the needs you have. At first I wanted to mate with you because I thought of you as a male who would make me feel good while I would relieve your body, I didn't even think that I would also have to relieve your mind from its suffering. Beryl has been doing this even if she hasn't realized it yet and I still hope that I will be able to help you as well before too long." Tempo's mind was filled with an uncharacteristic pleasant warmth as she explained her newfound feelings towards him, she actually reminded him of how Fireblade felt towards him when...

"I see that Fireblade feels the same way as well..." Tempo thought as he subtly pushed the thought of Fireblade away from her perception.

"I appreciate your honest feelings Tempo." Alex sent to her.

"And I am convinced that you didn't do anything harmful to his mind." Beryl relented, with a hint of appreciation towards Tempo for describing her as important to him.

"Although I am surprised that this message of mine hadn't come to you soon after I sent it to you. A male's subconscious should have triggered it instantly. Tempo exclaimed.

"I was thinking of... other things at the time. Alex replied while suppressing the myriad of fantasies he had come up with about every single one of the passengers of Highland 7 while he was essentially under house arrest in the shuttle. Bot Tempo and Beryl must have picked some of it up because both of their minds let out some very embarrassed blushes at that.

"Perhaps me sending this message was unnecessary in trying to steer your desires towards me and perhaps other Loroi." Tempo joked as she took her hand and broke the mental connection the three of them shared.

"It will be a long day today and Tempest will be jumping into Enedd in the afternoon, get yourselves ready for it." Tempo told them before leaving the cabin.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.