Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SVlad

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote: During the cataclysm that ended the era, every world that had such technology was bombarded to the destruction of that technological culture, and sometimes to the extinction of the species (and sometimes of all life on the planet).
Wild guess: It wasn't cataclysm. Soia ended their experiment (whatever it was) and just revert changes, clean up workspace and collect garbage.
Outsider in Russian

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

SVlad wrote:
Arioch wrote: During the cataclysm that ended the era, every world that had such technology was bombarded to the destruction of that technological culture, and sometimes to the extinction of the species (and sometimes of all life on the planet).
Wild guess: It wasn't cataclysm. Soia ended their experiment (whatever it was) and just revert changes, clean up workspace and collect garbage.
Why abandon the place afterwards then?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

GeoModder wrote:Why abandon the place afterwards then?
Perhaps it's an elaborate way of obtaining new technologies, by forcing species to develop them on their own absent the influence of their overlord?

Or perhaps it was some sort of purge of machine intelligence, which was feared enough to destroy all technological worlds, causing the ruin of their society and species.
Or a galactic exodus for cultural/spiritual reasons, which demanded that none be able to follow them.
Or some external power decided to wipe them out, and didn't care about settling their vacated territory.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

SVlad wrote:Wild guess: It wasn't cataclysm. Soia ended their experiment (whatever it was) and just revert changes, clean up workspace and collect garbage.
And then started their new experiment and stepped off the stage to see how it progressed.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

fredgiblet wrote:
SVlad wrote:Wild guess: It wasn't cataclysm. Soia ended their experiment (whatever it was) and just revert changes, clean up workspace and collect garbage.
And then started their new experiment and stepped off the stage to see how it progressed.
“The Gods were wearing lab coats.” :D
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Zarya on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

GeoModder wrote: Why abandon the place afterwards then?
You don't live in laboratory especially when work is done. :)
Outsider in Russian

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

SVlad wrote:
GeoModder wrote: Why abandon the place afterwards then?
You don't live in laboratory especially when work is done. :)
They're gonna be pissed when they come back into work the next morning and find out that all the fungus they were growing has broken out of its enclosures and is doing battle all over their nice floor.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

I noticed that loroi day "tibos" is divided into 21 (3x7) cycles "digel", so how do loroi manage logistics of their force around day?

Do they use

rotation of 3 crews:
7 cycles for work, self maintenance (study & recreation) and rest

or maybe

7 tasks per day, 3 cycles per task:
example of day: light duty (exercise & breakfast), heavy duty, light duty (study & lunch), heavy duty, recreation, 2 sleep

or is it done in style

you stand at guard whole tibo, because your commander hates you.
Supporter of forum RPG

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

bunnyboy wrote:I noticed that loroi day "tibos" is divided into 21 (3x7) cycles "digel", so how do loroi manage logistics of their force around day?
It varies according to the unit and situation. Most large ships will normally operate on a three-watch system, in which each crewman stands a 7-digel duty watch, and then divides a 14-digel off-watch period between other duties, personal time, and sleep. Smaller ships may have to break up watches so that half rather than one third of the crew is on watch at any given time. During combat alert there will a different watch schedule (often half the crew on and half off a shorter watch schedule), and at battle stations every available crewman will be on duty.

Loroi only eat one meal per day, so eating is not a major part of the watch structure.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

I was still wondering why the heck system based on 3x7?

Our measure of time and angles is based to 6 as 4x6 and 10x6, which can be divided many ways into practical numbers.
Then I though it does become 3x8 system by having douple crews with each first and finishing digel and 13-digel off-watch period.

But then I realized I m thinking this too much, but because I already took the effort write this, so I don't see any reason to delete it.
Maybe 7 is just lucky number for them like for us.

But eating only one meal per day. Now I wonder if they prefer eating before sleep, for more effective metabolism or after sleep, for higher sugar level (energy) at duty?
And now I m imagining Beryl with bellybump. :lol:
Supporter of forum RPG

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

bunnyboy wrote:I was still wondering why the heck system based on 3x7?

Our measure of time and angles is based to 6 as 4x6 and 10x6, which can be divided many ways into practical numbers.
Then I though it does become 3x8 system by having douple crews with each first and finishing digel and 13-digel off-watch period.
I believe our base-60 system of measuring time is purely tradition derived from the Babylonian system that it originated from; I think there's very little that's "practical" about it. Dividing the day into three sections (duty, off-duty, sleep) makes sense biologically, but the counting system used for each of these three sections is totally irrelevant. Aboard an ultra-tech starship, it's not a problem if you have to show up for watch at 4:34; things don't have to be neat.

The Trade numeral system is base 8. A solon is roughly the length of an average heartbeat (as is our second), a bima is 64 solons, a digel is 64 bima, and 21 is the number of digel that fits into the Deinar day, which is shorter than Earth's. This divides evenly into three watches of 7, but if they have to divide it up some other way, they will.

The Loroi crewmembers come from a variety of different planets with different clocks, and most have been in space for a long time, so their internal clocks have to be a bit flexible. Some ships can and do run on a completely different schedule, as the concept of a "daily" cycle is totally irrelevant in space. Also, there's not really such a thing as "off-duty" for shipboard crew (unless they're actually on leave or incapacitated); even if you're asleep when battle stations sounds, you get your butt out of bed.

A "watch" aboard a ship is not quite the same thing as a normal work day. A watch is where you're standing a post doing something critical, like as a lookout, or watching a screen for enemy activity. You have to be alert and pay attention, and so naval watches on Earth were traditionally 4 hours on, followed by 8 hours off watch. Off-watch time is not necessarily free time; most chores and routine maintenance is done off-watch. Watch schedules vary a lot and have changed a lot over time to try to deal with crew fatigue, but most human crews lose effectiveness when they stand watches as long as 8 hours.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Regarding that whole biological clock thing, just how robust are the Loroi in this regard?
How quickly do they adapt to different day lengths, do they suffer from "jet-lag" and how resistant are they to sleep deprivation (like pulling a 24h 21 digel shift on a undermanned ship)?
I guess the Soia would optimize their "tools" for things like that, but how far did they go?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:Regarding that whole biological clock thing, just how robust are the Loroi in this regard?
How quickly do they adapt to different day lengths, do they suffer from "jet-lag" and how resistant are they to sleep deprivation (like pulling a 24h 21 digel shift on a undermanned ship)?
I guess the Soia would optimize their "tools" for things like that, but how far did they go?
Loroi are not especially remarkable in this respect, compared to humans.

folti

Post by folti »

Arioch wrote:
bunnyboy wrote:I was still wondering why the heck system based on 3x7?

I believe our base-60 system of measuring time is purely tradition derived from the Babylonian system that it originated from; I think there's very little that's "practical" about it.
More precisely, the base-60 for hours, minutes, seconds is a kinda retrograde adaptation from the time of the modern mechanical clocks (late-16th century), as most people didn't exactly needed this accuracy before. It's mainly because the base-60 system has been used for a lot of math and geography since the Sumerian times.

The 24 hours a day on the other hand can be traced back to the Ancient Egyptians, though it should be noted, that hours were not always fixed length, as they, after a while, divided both day and night to 12 hours, regardless of the current day/night lenghts. At least in Europe, the fixed length hour has been introduced with the first mechanical clocks in the 14th century.

There are/were of course multiple other timing systems in use, like the Chinese decimal based system, which split each day to 100 units, or the Hindu units which used 60 ghati or 30 muhurta as units for a day. Or the decimal based time units of the French Revolution, which didn't caught up for example.

TL;DR: Our current time units are kinda arbitrary, resulting from traditions inherited from old civilizations.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Are loroi not used to seeing large amounts of blood? I'm thinking in terms of the prologue and then Spiral's later comment "It was all bleeding-like red and making gurgle gurgle sounds".
I wouldn't have expected him to look near-death, so is Spiral just not used to seeing that kind of damage since she'd bet that he would die, or were his injuries more severe than they appeared?

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

I interpret that as Spiral being kind of bad with spoken language and what she was trying to say, was that "it" (the alien, Alex) was apparently severely injured, bleeding a lot and was about to drown in it's own red blood, thus she did not rate it's survival chances too high and bet against Talon.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

entity2636 wrote:I interpret that as Spiral being kind of bad with spoken language and what she was trying to say, was that "it" (the alien, Alex) was apparently severely injured, bleeding a lot and was about to drown in it's own red blood, thus she did not rate it's survival chances too high and bet against Talon.
In next sentence she used correct pronoun "he". I think she just tried to say "there was blood everywhere" but failed due lack of spoken practice.
Outsider in Russian

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Hmm...

Hey Arioch, can you by any chance give us the groundwork of Crossfire?

I need it for some, creative reasons :)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:Hmm...

Hey Arioch, can you by any chance give us the groundwork of Crossfire?

I need it for some, creative reasons :)
The details are not yet finalized. How much do you need?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I gathered that it is much like chess in such a case I am mainly interested in how many tiles a board has, the number and type of pieces and how they move. Any special rules and moves like chess has I can make on the fly, even if I am not much of a chess player.