Page 140 Discussion - "WRRAMMM!!!"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GabrielGABFonseca

Page 140 Discussion - "WRRAMMM!!!"

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

Discuss away about this most bombastic page.
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Overkill Engine

Re: Page 140 Discussion - "WRRAMMM!!!"

Post by Overkill Engine »

Hmm wonder if the cockpit going dark is a result of the station and/or shuttle getting hit; or if it is a deliberate ploy to minimize any signature for hostile sensors to pick up.

Edit: had left out a noun that was important for clarity.
Last edited by Overkill Engine on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Overkill Engine wrote:Hmm wonder if the cockpit going dark is a result of the station and/or getting hit; or if it is a deliberate ploy to minimize any signature for hostile sensors to pick up.
It came in at what I assume is ramming speed, so I am assuming it broke something. Other than that, I have Nathen Fillian in the back of my head going: We will be having some turbulance and we might die.

Fireblade: Die? I don't wanna die.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I don't think that it broke anything, the shuttle wasn't shown to have any alteration in course after going through the station.

My guess is that Talon cutoff the power completely and the shuttle is now moving on momentum alone. The WRRAMMM was probably the blast wave from the station going out; they were close enough for it to be there and that could throw them off their previous course.

Alex being thrown off his seat? He wasn't buckled up and they are in a zero gravity environment now, since his momentum is the same as the shuttle's he and Beryl weren't thrown violently against a bulkhead, they are just drifting in space along with the shuttle. Now I wonder what they will do, Mozin will certainly come to get Alex but 16,000 solons of travel time with the shuttle being able to maneuver is out of the picture. Mozin will have to come find them and that may take some time, especially if he will have to stay clear of Umiak ships until they move further into the Union.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

I'd just like to say, I really like the shuttle's design.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

I think the shock wave from the station exploding or the EMP resulting from all the nukes going off a few hundred metres behind it hit the shuttle, sent it tumbling and knocked out main power. Alex said he felt the shuttle lurching before lights went out.

Arent

Post by Arent »

GabrielGABFonseca wrote:Discuss away about this most bombastic page.
Whose hands are touching in panel 3? I don't remember Alex wearing glowing wristbands.
Last edited by Arent on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Arent wrote:
Whose hands are touching in panel 3? I don't remember Alex wearing glowing wristbands. Or is there some psionic reaction?
Ah, probably Beryl is "switching on" her wristbands ;)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

You forgot a link to the page:
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider140.html

Anyway, looks like the station blew up.
The shuttle made it hard for them to defend against the missiles........
Boo, protagists!

Going dark could have several reasons:
- engine shorted out due to overloading during the maneuvers.
- being hit by a missile that followed them through the station's ring.
- being hit by the blast wave of the explosion(s).
- being out of fuel.
- deliberately, less energy readings on Umiak sensors.
- a combination of factors.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

I still think they'll cut all power, drift and pretend they're a piece of debris from the station. The Umiak are far and are still "wobbly" from the jump. They won't examine the individual pieces of "debris" too closely.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Somebody is on the floor in a compromising position.

So... who'll
SpoilerShow
walk the dinosaur?

novius

Post by novius »

So much storytelling in just four panels.
  1. Gora Relay is heavily damaged, but could be still holding together - it should take more than a single gunboat's barrage to take it out.
  2. The shuttle took a hit from the shockfront - sound doesn't travel through vacuum, after all, and any sound of something giving way or tearing apart could only have come from the shuttle itself.
  3. The hit must have been strong enough for a complete blackout - engines, interior light, the whole works.
  4. The Loroi's rank highlights could serve as emergency lighting as well.
  5. Beryl's floating hair tells us that internal gravity and acceleration is cut off as well.
So, by all means, the shuttle is completely knocked out and drifting. Likely life support is gone, too. So the clock is ticking on them - what would happen first? Suffocating or freezing?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

If Beryl's wristbands aren't simply chemical lighting, then I'm betting the lights out was intentional, since I doubt those little glow cuffs would be EMP shielded.
Assuming they're trying to play dead until safely near the system's periphery, the crew and Alex won't have much to do but chat until they can catch a ride out, or... well, let's stay positive.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Would a Led really be that vulnerable to EMPs? As long as the wires remain intact, electricity should flow, shouldn't it?

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Breathtaking

*lights candle for the crew on the station*

When other components are fried then it doesn’t really matter that the LEDs have survived, no?
(I speculate Talon and Spiral have been thinking a couple of steps ahead and flipped a master switch).

folti

Post by folti »

Or more likely that the rest of the shuttle (including it's power source(s)) took the brunt of the EMP shockwave, shielding the forward section.

Or they got hit with actual debris, which knocked out stuff at the rear, including either the power sources, or the distribution .

novius

Post by novius »

First panel showed the shuttle's engines still in operation in front of the station's shadow.

So no reason to assume it had to be an EMP, and since the shuttle was physically jerked around, and there is the sound of tearing metal, assume it's damaged. Perhaps the Loroi in the passenger section are even worse off.

Second, chemical lights wouldn't have a notional sound on activation, right?

So I'm quite sure the shuttle took a beating to knock off the engines and power, and it was not because Talon or Spiral powered down the systems.

Stillstorm wouldn't like to fish her shuttle out of space, as Spiral assumed she'd have to do when they planned to rendezvous with the Clearbrook ahead of time? Well, Stillstorm would like a totaled shuttled even less. :)

Werra

Post by Werra »

I'm looking forward to see Tempo with her hair floating.

novius

Post by novius »

Werra wrote:I'm looking forward to see Tempo with her hair floating.
Tempo, I'd peg her on having her hair just a bit frayed at the tips, and just a few locks out of place. Doesn't she use some ribbons or hair pins? It has to be hair pins, given her secondary line of work, they're too useful :)

Fireblade, on the other hand...

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

novius wrote:
Werra wrote:I'm looking forward to see Tempo with her hair floating.
Tempo, I'd peg her on having her hair just a bit frayed at the tips, and just a few locks out of place. Doesn't she use some ribbons or hair pins? It has to be hair pins, given her secondary line of work, they're too useful :)

Fireblade, on the other hand...
Fireblade is burning every ounce of telekinetic energy she has on remaining seated as if nothing is happening, just so she can arrogantly stare down her nose at alex when he floats back out of the cockpit.