Page 142-143: Tsk, here's mommy

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Page 142-143: Tsk, here's mommy

Post by Krulle »

I assume that Tempo made orders regarding priorities, and may have discussed the reasonswith her command staff.
Priority one will be to keep the specimen out of the Umiak's hands.
Priority two will be to keep the witnesses knowing of Humanity, and the trait for which they will be known best, out of the Umiak's hands.
Priority three will be to bring Alexander and the knowledge about him to command.
Priority four will be Alexander and at least one of the Loroi's survival.
Priority five will be the Loroi's survival.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Werra wrote:Beryl's also a Listel and has therefore quite the analytical mindset. We've already seen her switch gears on page 141, when she calmly answered Alex concerns.
That the Loroi look like frail, little cuties, but behave very masculine in many aspects is a nice conflict of expectations.
Right, she does so to say change gears quite quickly, may indeed be a "Beryl thing", similar to how during the Battle of Naam she went from smiling and friendly, to genuinely worried and compassionate, said to pretty much skipping a heartbeat each time a friendly ship took a hit (even before the destruction of the Wintertide), to proud and matter-of-fact when asked about kill to death ratios, or during the invasion of Leido - from dismissal to shock to awkwardness to "hold me tight", all within a couple of minutes :D

@boldilocks - that might be the case. There might have been a mental/telepathic sigh in there that we don't perceive and she's saying her lines with eyes closed. Text doesn't convey intonation all too good.

Still, some pauses in the lines would do good to indicate the situation is not a piece of cake.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Hmmm....I thought mothers had little input in the raising of children (which was mostly communal from a certain point). So would the word "mother" truly denote authority?

folti

Post by folti »

Mr.Tucker wrote:Hmmm....I thought mothers had little input in the raising of children (which was mostly communal from a certain point). So would the word "mother" truly denote authority?
Or a slang to the ranking officer. Kinda like how in some parts of the US military (Army and Marines), mom is the slang reference to a company's senior NCO, and dad is the commanding officer. Informally and never to their face of course.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Mr.Tucker wrote:Hmmm....I thought mothers had little input in the raising of children (which was mostly communal from a certain point). So would the word "mother" truly denote authority?
This is something I really hope we learn more about as the comic progresses. We know from Arch that Loroi mothers are invested in their children, sometimes emotionally, even if they don't take an active role in their upbringing. We've been told that Stillstorm was emotionally devastated when her children died during the Semoset campaign.

I'm very interested to know how those bonds form and are maintained.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

It should be a biological imperative for a mother to have an biological drive to protect her young and nurture them. In humans this would translate to them having the overall parental and overseeing duties but on the telepathic Loroi this may be not as a big of an issue due to their telepathy. Simply put the inherent truthfulness and intimacy of telepathy ensures absolute trust in regards to the caretakers of their children in the creches and their respective school years.

I am certain that all Loroi mothers would love to spend a lot of time with their children but if their schedules are as busy as ours then they will miss a LOT of the formative years by default due to how fast Loroi mature. The second best solution is to entrust the children to highly capable and trustworthy caretakers in the creches who will look after their children as if they were their own. In such a situation the mother still holds her parental rights, the bloodline is passed along and depending on the social norms the mothers will be held in high esteem by their daughters.

Werra

Post by Werra »

A viable reproductive strategy is also propagating genetic relatives, as those share genes. If one has siblings and those have overall four kids, then you copied your genes, statistically to the next generation succesfully. As your sibling has half your genes and their children have a quarter of yours. With how many children Loroi can have, these numbers are quickly reached. We see the same kind of behaviour in earthly mammals that have lots of offspring, such as meerkats, who take big personal risks warning their relatives.

Sorry, I'm nerding out over Loroi biology again.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:It should be a biological imperative for a mother to have an biological drive to protect her young and nurture them.
Speaking in the broadest sense, the biological imperative for the mother is to ensure that her young are protected and nurtured, but that doesn't necessarily mean she must feel a compulsion to do it herself. There are many social species in which only the alpha males and females reproduce, and the offspring are cared for (including nursing for mammals) by the group, sometimes to the exclusion of the biological mother. In some, the mother has a certain degree of closeness with her offspring, but in the most extreme examples (social insects), the mother may do literally nothing to personally care for her own offspring.

I didn't mean to (and I don't think I did) imply that Loroi mothers and daughters have no relationship; rather, that it's different from what most humans consider normal. It's more analogous to a human child's relationship with her aunt. Depending on the individual and circumstances, a girl might have a very close relationship with her aunt, or even be raised chiefly by her aunt. Or her aunt might just be some person who occasionally shows up at family gatherings, who the child barely knows. But in any case, a mother is the most culturally significant (and legally important) familial relation that a Loroi can have. So "here comes Mother" is maybe closer in our culture to "here comes Daddy!"

In another sense a Loroi mother is the child's "official" caretaker, even when she's not the actual caretaker... in a similar way that in our military, a young officer might be the "official" leader of a unit, even if the actual leader is an NCO. In this sense "here comes Mother" could have a different connotation.

JWilde

Post by JWilde »

I will never surrender my crush on Tempo.
Never.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

I want to know is how much a shuttle like this would be ready for a situation where they are stuck and drifting in space with no gravity.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:I want to know is how much a shuttle like this would be ready for a situation where they are stuck and drifting in space with no gravity.
Well, if the necessities for a full passenger complement were loaded, life support could probably sustain them up to several weeks.

Luge

Post by Luge »

Arioch wrote:I didn't mean to (and I don't think I did) imply that Loroi mothers and daughters have no relationship; rather, that it's different from what most humans consider normal. It's more analogous to a human child's relationship with her aunt. Depending on the individual and circumstances, a girl might have a very close relationship with her aunt, or even be raised chiefly by her aunt. Or her aunt might just be some person who occasionally shows up at family gatherings, who the child barely knows. But in any case, a mother is the most culturally significant (and legally important) familial relation that a Loroi can have. So "here comes Mother" is maybe closer in our culture to "here comes Daddy!"

In another sense a Loroi mother is the child's "official" caretaker, even when she's not the actual caretaker... in a similar way that in our military, a young officer might be the "official" leader of a unit, even if the actual leader is an NCO. In this sense "here comes Mother" could have a different connotation.
When Talon said, "Here comes mother!", I took it to be a mild insult, referencing the annoying things that mothers in general do or say.

"Stop that!"
"Don't touch that!"
"Where did you get that?"
"Put it DOWN!"
"Leave her alone!"
"Get dressed NOW!"
"Don't fly so fast!"
"You're burning too much fuel!"
"Take that out of your mouth right now!"

Of course, that's a human perspective. Maybe "Here comes the nanny!" works for the Loroi as well as humans.

L.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

GeoModder wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:I want to know is how much a shuttle like this would be ready for a situation where they are stuck and drifting in space with no gravity.
Well, if the necessities for a full passenger complement were loaded, life support could probably sustain them up to several weeks.
This was a ship to ship mission and then there is the sanitation issues. Did arioch have this shuttle come with a 0g toilet?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote: Did arioch have this shuttle come with a 0g toilet?
Only for Loroi warriors. :o

dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Arioch wrote:There are many social species in which only the alpha males and females reproduce, and the offspring are cared for (including nursing for mammals) by the group
caveat this model is largely debunked today (by the man who started it infarct) most cases studies overlooked the fact "Alphas" were the biological parents of the rest of the group. in other words it was simply a normal family group like we have. co parenting exist in nature for sure but never with the "sole alpha breading pair" part

a better example for the loroi would be an elephant or whale pods where the females group together with look after the children together. while the adult males are excluded into their own pods

Highlord

Post by Highlord »

boldilocks wrote:
icekatze wrote:Also, page 143. I am really liking the lighting and the non-standard viewing angles on the various silent participants. Behind the head and slightly from below isn't an easy angle to pull off.
I sort of cynically assumed that might be why Beryl put her hair up.
That or it's something she does to get ready in case she needs to get in a zero-atmosphere suit in a hurry.
They seemed to be in low/zero-G. Loose hair is a mother.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

GeoModder wrote:
Only for Loroi warriors. :o
Well maybe he can just sit down or just stick it in there really hard

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Beautiful page as always!

I just noticed that beryl tied her hair up and i've reread the page like twenty times. Curiously her her tie matches her uniform quite perfectly. Did she have it made for her personally or is the Loroi military so considirate of the needs of their servicewomen that they will provide matching hair ties :D ? Heaven forbid our ladies would be either inconvenienced or (gasp) unpresentable.

Speaking of which are there any exact rules for how to keep your hair in the Loroi military? Like you are not allowed to have certain cosmetical items on duty, like a tiara or something?

Having worked on this for so long Arioch. Have your perception of the comic changed in all that time? Is there anything about pages that you really wished you did differently? Certain ideas that you first thought of but later decided against as the comic went on? Overall feel for the work you put in to it?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Also Tempo must have the poshest Sanzai of the whole crew :D
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:I just noticed that beryl tied her hair up and i've reread the page like twenty times. Curiously her her tie matches her uniform quite perfectly. Did she have it made for her personally or is the Loroi military so considirate of the needs of their servicewomen that they will provide matching hair ties :D ? Heaven forbid our ladies would be either inconvenienced or (gasp) unpresentable.

Speaking of which are there any exact rules for how to keep your hair in the Loroi military? Like you are not allowed to have certain cosmetical items on duty, like a tiara or something?
The Loroi have maintained the common warrior tradition of wearing their hair long (they managed to avoid the industrial-era measure of shaving heads for hygienic purposes), and having long well-kept hair is considered a point of personal honor. While I'm sure there must be regulations regarding hair care and presentation (the punishment for improperly maintained hair is to have it cut off!), hairstyle is considered an acceptable opportunity for individual expression in an otherwise uniform military costume. Since long hair is the norm, there are a variety of standard clasps, barrettes, etc. (you may notice Tempo has a similar clasp to Beryl's), and in some cases it is permissible to wear custom adornments (such as Moonglow's crescent pin).
Jericho wrote:Having worked on this for so long Arioch. Have your perception of the comic changed in all that time? Is there anything about pages that you really wished you did differently? Certain ideas that you first thought of but later decided against as the comic went on? Overall feel for the work you put in to it?
The broad scale story arc hasn't really changed since I started the comic, and while some of the details have changed and there is certainly a lot more detail overall, and the additional details sometimes reveal unexpected truths about characters' motivations or additional subtexts to certain events or interactions, but so far it has fit very well within the framework established in the original outline and proscribed by the existing pages; I haven't felt the need to go back and retcon old pages (except to fix obvious errors). My only real regret when looking at old pages is to wish that they were better drawn, and that the story was told more visually in some spots rather than relying quite so much on narration.

One example of a significant change from the outline was that, in the original draft, the story began without a prologue, with Alex already floating in space, explaining through narration what had happened to him. The outline was really about what happens plotwise, and not so much about how to tell the story, and especially about not how to tell it in a visual medium. As I began actually writing comic pages it quickly became clear to me that there needed to be some kind of concrete framework (beyond simple narration) tying Alex to his home and past, both in terms of continuing flashbacks but also in a prologue sequence that establishes him in his own environment among his peers. And so the crew of the Bellarmine were created kind of at the last minute, mostly based on friends and colleagues and even a few characters from my other stories, kind of as one-shot cameos. And then, as work on the comic continued (and pages were already posted), I realized that the flashback sequences were much more important than I had originally thought, and that they tied in very nicely with another element of the story, and so some characters would end up appearing a lot more than I had intended. If I have any regrets about this it's that I wish I had put more effort into the design of these characters instead of using the likenesses of real people, but hopefully these people won't mind having their alter egos play a more important long-term role in the story.