Pages 144, 145: Conserve Energy

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Pages 144, 145: Conserve Energy

Post by Krulle »

Have a wonderful end of the year all, a parting gift for 2018 went up:
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider144.html
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider145.html
@Arioch wrote:Have a happy new year!
Same to you all! Best wishes!
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CF2

Re: Pages 144, 145: Conserve Energy

Post by CF2 »

"Yes. Arrir Talon says that is intentional."

Goodness, what are the odds of that bus flying through space and hitting Arrir Talon. :P

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Old Year pages! :D

Best wishes folks.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm sure Alex feels super thrilled about getting tossed right back into a cramped little box, but at least this time he might have company. Perhaps not company he'd want to be stuck with, in the case of Fireblade.

Maybe we'll get to learn about some sort of Loroi passtimes while they're sitting around? Or maybe Alex will have to introduce them to the game of poker? (I suppose he probably doesn't have any cards though.)

Also, here's hoping for good things for everyone in the new year!

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

If he is going in there alone he should worry if he is with Beryl I am sure he will have all the time needed for more science like in page 134 am I right Arioch?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

icekatze wrote:I'm sure Alex feels super thrilled about getting tossed right back into a cramped little box, but at least this time he might have company. Perhaps not company he'd want to be stuck with, in the case of Fireblade.
If Alex is thinking about being in close quarters with Fireblade, there are bound to be remarks about her restraint made. I suppose we'll see if they start down the path of reconciliation or not.
Who knows, maybe we'll get to see Fireblades first words in this comic.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

I'm betting on a game of crossfire coming soon!!! :D
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

icekatze wrote:I'm sure Alex feels super thrilled about getting tossed right back into a cramped little box, but at least this time he might have company. Perhaps not company he'd want to be stuck with, in the case of Fireblade.

Maybe we'll get to learn about some sort of Loroi passtimes while they're sitting around? Or maybe Alex will have to introduce them to the game of poker? (I suppose he probably doesn't have any cards though.)
Who's up for a rousing game of throwing knives at eachother?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

"Conserve energy" by sharing a besai?

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

The Loroi probably won’t need a blanket when Alex’ body produces 36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F) heat in a confined space. Keeping Alex warm/comfortable is probably a good thing though...

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Zarya wrote:The Loroi probably won’t need a blanket when Alex’ body produces 36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F) heat in a confined space. Keeping Alex warm/comfortable is probably a good thing though...
Who's gonna be on rubbing duty?

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

There’re two more pages up on Patreon – and my lips remain sealed :D

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Jardin going to be used as a heating blanket SOON(tm)!

toskins

Post by toskins »

My bet is that he will be tricked and locked in almost immediately. Which will leave him more than just a bit ticked off.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

toskins wrote:My bet is that he will be tricked and locked in almost immediately. Which will leave him more than just a bit ticked off.
"Please stay in here with the strike force's pet mascot, Captain. We will handle the rest."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
boldilocks wrote:"Please stay in here with the strike force's pet mascot, Captain. We will handle the rest."
Or maybe Captain Jardin will be the new strike force pet mascot? :lol:

Leopold

Post by Leopold »

I am not sure that stress, enforced close quarters, an extended period of microgravity, an induced tumble, and continuing GI issues are going to enhance Alex's ability to win friends and influence sophonts. Frankly, I'm amazed at his ability to remain on task despite the long-term, dietary-induced distress to date.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Leopold wrote:...enforced close quarters...
I'm reminded of the Red Dwarf episode Quarantine, where the exchange went something like:
"We already spend most of our time together anyway."
"Yeah, but we knew we could leave at any time."

On the other hand, perhaps Alex is cut from the same steel as the Apollo astronauts. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to spend that much time in a phone booth sized tin can with two other people without either going nuts or having gone through rigorous training.
Leopold wrote:...long-term, dietary-induced distress...
This is a big deal in real life, but hopefully the Soia-Liron put as much generic amino acids and vitamers into their super foods as they could and that Alex wont get scurvy.

volrath77

Post by volrath77 »

Well, I hope Jardin will be able to bring some skills to assist the Loroi in their current predicament because right now, he's more or less a liability.

As for Fireblade, I don't think she hates the guy. More like he's an unknown factor due to his resistance, maybe near-immunity, to Loroi telepathy and any soldier worth his/her salt will always be wary of unknown factors, not to mention that she's the head of security if I remember right and she has every right to be cautious because if anything happens, it'll be on her head.

That doesn't explain why she's the only one visible in Jardin's mind when he and Beryl had their mental probe(?) session though. Did she imprint herself in his mind? If so, why? Accidental imprinting? Claiming Jardin as her 'waifu'?

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

It might be a little to soon to have Jardin save the day. I think we'll have to wait a bit and watch the ladies do their thing.

Fireblade just strikes me as being tired of the whole situation. It's not personal towards Jardin or anything. She's just tired of the whole war and seems to wanna be left alone. Now she have to drag around some alien that popped up from nowhere so isn't going to help her mood. I don't think she's worried or threatened by him just sick of him. She'll come around though :) .
That doesn't explain why she's the only one visible in Jardin's mind when he and Beryl had their mental probe(?) session though. Did she imprint herself in his mind? If so, why? Accidental imprinting? Claiming Jardin as her 'waifu'?
Jardin could sense Fireblade before the interrogation aswell so i don't think we need to assume some special connection between the pair. It's more likely that her psionic presence is so great that even those who are mute to it normally subconsciously picks up on it.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.